Inkblots: A Tale of Magic, Ad...

By laurel_coronet

As readers, we all feel like books are magic. But in Alia's world, they really are-or The Book is, at least... More

I. Heroes
II. The Reading
III. Unbalanced
IV. Friendship
V. Evening Light
VI. THE STORY
VII. Parchment and Ink
VIII. Investigation
IX. Nighttime Mischief
X. A Favor
XI. Filling the Blanks
XII. Disintegration
XIII. A Summons
XIV. Flight
XV. An Unexpected Guest
XVI. Hitching a Ride
XVII. Eastgate
XVIII. Reunited
XIX. Companionship
XX. The Desert
XXI. Culture Clash
XXII. Courage and Pain
Bonus Scene: Happy Valentine's Day!
XXIII. The Cavern
XXIV. A Beldaran in the Desert
XXV. Bindings
XXVI. Answers at Last
XXVII. Change of Plans
XXVIII. Crossing Paths
XXIX. Enough Truth for One Day
XXX. The Past
XXXI. The Border
XXXII. Rijo-Bel Harbor
XXXIII. Winnings
XXXIV. News from Beldara
XXXV. A Proposition
XXXVI. Departure
XXXVII. Aboard The Kestrel's Flight
XXXVIII. Sparks
XXXIX. New Horizons
XL. Scypia
XLI. Ornassus
XLII. An Understanding

Beginnings

700 31 6
By laurel_coronet

He walked slowly through the fog of his subconscious, watching the mysterious looking wisps swirl around him, and then suddenly there was a table before him. A quill lay at the side, feather gleaming in the milky, diffused light, and next to it sat a large book. The parchment was crisp, clean, and pure, already open to a new page.

That's right. He had to tell the story. But how? He reached to the quill, surprised by the heaviness of it in his hand, and paused, bemused. There was no ink. The distant echo of a memory flitted through his thoughts, and he grimaced suddenly. He held the quill up, eyeing its sharp tip, and pierced the tip of his finger.

Why am I doing this again? Familliar snark disturbed the blank serenity of this foreign space, and he was reminded that he wasn't a storyteller. He didn't care to relive it. But there was no choice at this point, and in a small chamber in the real world, two robed monks watched closely as the man's back arched and his body went rigid.

In the book, a scrolling script began to write itself.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

30 1 45
In this epic story, you'll meet dangerous dragons, vicious villains, and hellishly helpful heroes. Several of the characters in this story will be bo...
12.7K 1.9K 46
Niccola is a demi-queen undercover in enemy territory. Her little sister went missing seven moons ago, but one lead remains: a picture of a woman's f...
20.7K 2.1K 42
Emery Ellison thinks she has the world all figured out. According to her magic users are enemy number one. They are a superior class of people who us...
55.6K 1.9K 55
Danielle Carpenter has lived a life some might call boring, but she'd always loved language, and however much her parents might say specializing in O...