Two of a Kind | Wanda Maximoff

By Ricecakes123

After her life is destroyed by Ultron's attack on Sokovia, Wanda Maximoff feels lost until she meets Jemma Ba... More

Cast and Playlist
Two of a Kind
Chapter 1: The Screen
Chapter 2: The Plan
Chapter 3: The Quinjet
Chapter 4: The Battle
Chapter 5: Loss
Chapter 6: Regret
Chapter 7: Grief
Chapter 8: Help
Chapter 9: The Hug
Chapter 10: Moving
Chapter 11: An Accident
Chapter 12: I'm a Monster
Chapter 14: The Choice
Chapter 15: Runaway
Chapter 16: I Can't Control Their Fear
Chapter 17: Leipzig, Germany
Chapter 18: Criminals
Chapter 19: Rescue
Chapter 20: On the Run
Chapter 21: One More Step
Chapter 22: New Home, Sweet New Home
Chapter 23: "So, You Turn Into a Giant Dog?"
Chapter 24: Bring it On
Chapter 25: Trouble Brewing
Chapter 26: Finally, Some Hero Shit
Chapter 27: "[Groan] You know, Life?"
Chapter 28: The Kiss
Chapter 29: Awkward!
Chapter 30: Just Talk Already
Chapter 31: Bicky Knows
Chapter 32: I Shouldn't Have Said That
Chapter 33: Out
Chapter 34: Dating 101
Chapter 35: Trick-Or-Treat
Chapter 36: Perfect
Chapter 37: Unexpected Visit
Chapter 38: Vision's Back
Chapter 39: Back to Wakanda
Chapter 40: We Got a Vision Situation
Chapter 41: Thanos
Chapter 42: Back to Normal, and No One Died!
Chapter 43: We Get to go Home
Chapter 44: New York
Chapter 45: Help
Chapter 46: What's This?
Chapter 47: Blackout
Chapter 48: It's Been a Long, Long Time
Chapter 49: Jemma and the Box
Chapter 50: "Chapter 1"
Author's Note

Chapter 13: The Accords

1.1K 44 8
By Ricecakes123

About a month passed after the incident in Lagos before Wanda started showing her face around the compound. She hadn't been allowed to go on missions for a while, which she almost insisted on, and instead spent the time training alone in one of the many training rooms. Usually, when she trained at the compound, she made sure that she was alone, but today, she couldn't help but notice Steve's presence watching her as she trained.

Wanda positioned her hands on the bag, finding the middle and steadying it, before pulling her fist back and striking the bag hard. She repeated the process, hitting the bag harder with each punch, letting out pent up anger and frustration with each hit. The punching bag swung backwards with each strike of Wanda's fists. She was sweating hard and her fists started to hurt, but she didn't care.

She channeled all her anger and pain into each punch, imagining that she was punching the face of her worst enemy (which if she was being honest, shifted to various people after each punch, included her own). Wanda delivered the final punch, sending the bag flying off the hook and landing a few feet away from her, spilling its contents. Wanda stood in the same spot as before, panting hard as sweat dripped down her face, her eyes glowing a dark red.

Steve cleared his throat from the entrance of the training room. Wanda snapped her attention to him, and looked down at her hands, noticing the red mist that surrounded her fists. She turned towards the entrance and walked closer to Steve but turned slightly towards a bench. She sat down and grabbed a towel and wiped her brow, then she grabbed her water bottle and took a swift drink.

"That was impressive," he said as he sat down beside her. "You know, it's interesting to know someone else that can knock the bag off the hook." Wanda looked at him, then looked back at the bag staring at it.

"I used my powers; it doesn't count," she deadpanned, taking another sip of water.

"Your powers are part of you, of your strength. They always count." Steve looked over at Wanda and then followed her gaze to stare at the bag. He sighed deeply before speaking again. "It's good to see you back here."

"It's only been a month since the last time you saw me, Steve," Wanda said quietly.

"Yeah, I know, it's just we all missed you. Whether you think you are or not, you're a part of this family and we all care about you. I've noticed that the news still hasn't let up on you, and all I can think about is you watching that garbage thinking your nothing but the weapon that HYDRA made you to be..." Steve sighed again. He didn't know how to continue; surely she had gotten the point of what he was saying. Wanda smiled but her eyes didn't hold any humor or happiness; only pain.

"It's my fault," she said inhaling deeply, trying to keep the tears at bay. I will not be weak.

"That's not true," Steve countered with certainty.

"Watch the news sometime, Steve. They're being very specific."

"I should've clocked that bomb vest long before you had to deal with it." Wanda turned her attention to Steve and he leaned forward, clasping his hands and sighing. "Rumlow said 'Bucky' and...all of a sudden I was a 16-year-old kid again, in Brooklyn. And people died. It's on me."

"It's on both of us," Wanda said taking one of his hands in her own. He looked up at her and smile a little.

"This job...We try to save as many people as we can. Sometimes that doesn't mean everybody. But if we can't find a way to live with that, next time...maybe nobody gets saved." Wanda felt a slight sense of comfort at Steve's words. She leaned over and rested her head on his shoulder and the two sat in silence, mulling over everything that was said. Suddenly, a red hand phased through the wall next to Wanda, causing the young woman to scream and jump up from the bench. Vision stood before her, dressed in semi-formal attire, looking between a shocked and scared Wanda and a mentally done Steve.

"What?" the android asked with confusion.

"Vision, we talked about this," Steve said, closing his eyes and pinching the bridge of his nose while gesturing between the wall and Vision. Vision followed his gesture, and opened his mouth in understanding, making an 'o' shape.

"My apologies," he said, directing his apology to Wanda who was staring at him wide-eyed. "But, Captain, you wished to know when Mr. Stark was arriving."

"Thank you. We'll be right there."

"I'll...use the door," Vision said, walking past Wanda to the door to the training room, but paused as his hand grazed the handle. "Oh, and apparently, he's brought a guest."

"We know who it is?"

"The Secretary of State," Vision said before leaving and disappearing down the hall.

○○○

Secretary Ross stood in front of the Avengers at the head of the conference table, looking each one of them in the eye before he started speaking. Wanda didn't like him; she got a weird feeling from being around him. His very presence made her uncomfortable, and she couldn't tell if it had anything to do with who he was as a person or if it was because he worked for the U.S. Government.

"Five years ago, I had a heart attack," Secretary Ross started. "I dropped right in the middle of my backswing. Turned out it was the best round of my life, because after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass...I found something that 40 years in the Army had never taught me: Perspective." He paused, but Wanda shifted a little, waiting for the twist in his story. "The world owes the Avengers and unpayable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives...but while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some...who would prefer the word 'vigilantes'."

"And what word would you use, Mr. Secretary?" Natasha asked, tilting her head to the side. Secretary Ross looked at her.

"How about 'dangerous'? What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?" Wanda felt herself grow angry; this man had the nerve to lecture the Avengers about causing damage, when they were only trying to protect the world from threats. Way more damage would've been done and more people would've died had it not been for the Avengers intervening, and if they hadn't you'd still be here, lecturing us on how we let all this shit happen. Wanda bit her tongue; now wasn't the time. Secretary Ross stepped aside, revealing a large screen. He pointed a remote at it, and news footage of the Avengers and other S.H.I.E.L.D. incidents started playing.

"New York," he continued as the screen played a clip of a Chitauri leviathan, terrified citizens, a soldier firing a gun, and the Hulk smashing into buildings sending clouds of dust to engulf the camera. "Washington DC." The next clip plays, showing the three Insight carriers firing at each other, the destroyed Triskelion, a helicarrier crashing into the Potomac, causing a giant wave that engulfs citizens and the camera. "Sokovia." Wanda instantly tensed at the mention of her home as she watched the screen, seeing the clip of terrified citizens running and buildings being destroyed as the city rose in the air. Wanda felt her breath hitch as she thought of Pietro and Lily. "Lagos." The clips showed the burning building, paramedics moving bodies, and a dead girl. Wanda couldn't stop the tears that she felt come to her eyes. She removed her gaze from the screen and looked down at her hands on the table. No matter what I do, I'll always cause people harm. I'm not a hero, I'm a monster; a weapon. And that's all I'll ever be. Steve looked over at her and moved his hand to the table from his chin, sitting back a little more.

"Okay. That's enough." Secretary Ross nodded to his aide standing by the door and the screen turns off, the images disappearing.

"For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution." He walked to his aide, who handed him a thick document, and then Ross walked back towards the table, placing the document on it and sliding it to Wanda. She then, picked it up, glanced at it quickly before sliding it over to Rhodey. Secretary Ross continued, feeling a little proud. "The Sokovia Accords. Approved by 117 countries...it states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel, only when and if that panel deems it necessary."

"The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place," Steve said, not looking Ross in his eyes, feeling uncomfortable about the Accords. "I feel we've done that."

"Tell me, Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now?" Steve looked up, meeting Ross's eyes. "If I misplaced a couple of 30 megaton nukes...you can bet there'd be consequences. Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground." Along with the sadness that Wanda felt, she also felt her anger grow. How can this man even think of comparing actual people to weapons? Rhodey's voice brought her out of her thoughts and back to the meeting.

"So, there are contingencies."

"Three days from now, the UN meets in Vienna to ratify the Accords. Talk it over." Ross turned to leave. Natasha's voice stopped him.

"And if we come to a decision you don't like?" she asked, almost challenging him, her head still tilted. Secretary Ross looked back at her, hearing her challenge.

"Then you retire," he said before leaving.

○○○

Wanda sat next to Vision on one of the couches in the compound. She heard Sam and Rhodey arguing over the Accords, but she paid them no mind, as she focused on her own thoughts. She was conflicted; she didn't know whether to sign or not. She knew that she was dangerous and possessed dangerous powers, and because of that she should be regulated, right? Despite this, she couldn't shake the feeling that the Accords would only hurt her instead of helping her. Vision shifted slightly beside her, preparing to engage in the argument.

"I have an equation," he proposed calmly. Sam glared at him and back at Rhodey.

"Oh, this'll clear it up," he said sarcastically waving his arm in Vision's direction.

"In the eight years since Mr. Stark announced himself as Iron Man, the number of known enhanced persons has grown exponentially. And during the same period, the number of potentially world-ending events has risen at a commensurate rate." Steve looked up from reading the Accords and looked over at Vision.

"Are you saying it's our fault?" the Captain asked, eyebrow raised.

"I'm saying there may be a causality. Our very strength invites challenge. Challenge incites conflict. And conflict...breeds catastrophe. Oversight...Oversight is not an idea that can be dismissed out of hand." Wanda looks over at the android, still remaining quiet.

"Boom," Rhodey said, turning back to face Sam who just looked more annoyed. Natasha looked over at Tony, noticing that he hasn't spoken since the meeting with Ross.

"Tony. You're being uncharacteristically non-hyperverbal."

"That's because he's already made up his mind," Steve said.

"Boy, you know me so well," Tony said sarcastically as he got up from the couch. He winced and rubbed the back of his head. He walked into the kitchen and grabbed a mud. "Actually, I'm nursing an electromagnetic headache. That's what's going on, Cap. It's just pain. It's discomfort. Who's putting coffee grounds in the disposal? Am I running a bed and breakfast for a biker gang?" Tony placed his phone on the counter, a picture of a young man projected up on it. He sips his coffee, looking around at the others before acknowledging the picture.

"Oh, that's Charles Spencer, by the way. He's a great kid. Computer engineering degree, 3.6 GPA. Had a floor level gig at Intel planned for the fall. But first, he wanted to put a few miles on his soul before her parked behind a desk. See the world. Maybe be of service. Charlie didn't want to go to Vegas or Fort Lauderdale, which is what I would do. He didn't go to Paris or Amsterdam, which sounds fun. He decided to spend his summer building sustainable housing for the poor. Guess where, Sokovia."

The team looked uncomfortable as the processed Tony's words, especially Wanda. She still blamed herself for everything that happened with Ultron. Even if it wasn't her fault, she still tried to help him achieve his goal. She turned her attention away from everyone, suddenly feeling self-conscious. Tony continued.

"He wanted to make a difference; I suppose. I mean, we won't know because we dropped a building on him while we were kicking ass," He paused as he took a pill and another sip of coffee. "There's no decision-making process here. We need to be put in check! Whatever form that takes, I'm game. If we can't accept limitations, if we're boundary-less, we're no better than the bad guys."

"Tony, when someone dies on your watch, you don't give up," Steve said with as much sympathy as he could muster.

"Who said we're giving up?" Tony questioned.

"We are if we're not taking responsibility for our actions. This document just shifts the blame." Steve had now stopped reading and put the document down. Rhodey stepped up and faced the super soldier.

"I'm sorry. Steve. That—that is dangerously arrogant. This is the United Nations we're talking about. It's not the World Security Council, it's not S.H.I.E.L.D., it's not HYDRA."

"No, but it's run by people with agendas, and agendas change." Wanda physically couldn't listen to the arguing anymore. All it was doing was making her anxious and she could already feel her heartrate pick up. She knew that Vision could also sense the change because he subtly took his hand and placed it on top or hers, trying to comfort her and calm her down. It partially worked, but she still felt uneasy. Wanda knew that the only person who could fully calm her down was Jemma, so she took out her phone and opened up her messages. Clicking on her conversation with Jemma, Wanda began typing out her message.

Jemma, I need your help.

Of course, what's the matter?

I'm feeling really anxious and I'm not sure if I'm having an attack.

Okay, well, I need you to take deep breaths. Are you hyperventilating?

No, but my heart is beating fast.

Okay, just take deep breaths. Everything is going to be okay. Where are you? Can you leave? Take a walk?

I'm not sure if I can leave. In the middle of a meeting.

Okay, I'll pick you up. I'm going to leave now. I should be there in about an hour. Hang tight.

Wanda locked her phone and placed it back in her pocket and tuned back into the conversation.

"If we don't do this now, it's gonna be done to us later. That's the fact. That won't be pretty," Tony said matter-of-factly. Wanda tensed at his words, understanding what they meant, at least what they meant for her.

"You're saying they'll come for me," Wanda said, speaking for the first time. Everyone looked at her, not knowing how to answer her. She didn't ask a question; she stated it like a fact. They would come for her; they would come and lock her away because they didn't see her as a person and never will. She was a weapon, that if let loose, could cause so much damage. Vision tightened his grip on her hand, redirecting her attention to him. He looked at her with gentle eyes.

"We would protect you," he said, as if he was genuinely worried about her safety.

"Maybe Tony's right," Natasha said, also speaking up for the first time in a while. "If we have one hand on the wheel, we can still steer. If we take it off—"

"Aren't you the same woman who told the government to kiss her ass a few years ago?" Sam asked narrowing his eyes at her as he stared in disbelief.

"I'm just...I'm reading the terrain. We have made...some very public mistakes. We need to win their trust back."

"Focus up. I'm sorry, did I mishear you or did you just agree with me?" Tony asked, smiling lightly, joking around. Natasha shook her head and rolled her eyes.

"Oh, I so want to take it back now."

"No, no, no. You can't retract it. Thank you. Unprecedented. Okay, case closed – I win." Tony clapped his hands and stood from his seat. Wanda heard the faint sound of a phone vibrating, and at first she flinched, thinking it was her own, going to pull hers out, but stopped when she Steve pull out his. He looked at the screen, and she saw his face fall. She didn't mean to read his mind, but before she could stop herself, she already knew what happened; Peggy Carter was gone. Steve looked up at her, having felt her poking around in his head. She mouthed a sincere apology as he stood from his seat.

"I have to go," he said, leaving the room. Wandafollowed after him but didn't try to keep up with him. A part of her wanted togo a comfort the man that felt like a brother to her, the man that tried sohard to get her to open up about her own grief; but she couldn't follow him.Instead, she walked back to her room and gather her things, readying herselffor when Jemma came.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.3K 915 56
Book 3 in the Maximoff series. If you haven't read either of the books before, please do so. There is a short summary of book 2 at the beginning but...
2.2K 86 13
What's an obsession if not caring for someone very deeply? Deeper than other people are able to grasp. Magic can't get you everything but it can su...
960 44 5
Wanda Maximoff X Male Reader Y/n is fresh out of high school and takes up a job babysitting to earn some cash before College. Deciding to take a gap...
12.2K 519 5
When your wife Natasha passes away in a car accident, a part of you dies with her. It takes a few months of mourning for your psychiatrist thinks the...