The Emerald Thief - Merlin BB...

By The3meraldQueen

[1/3] Edythe - BBC Merlin Series Edythe has run for her whole life, living in a constant loop of never belong... More

Disclaimers
Playlist
Prologue
Chapter 1: Misfortune
Chapter 2: Company of Knights
Chapter 3: My Game
Chapter 4: You Can Run
Chapter 5: Condemned
Chapter 6: Cellmates
Chapter 7: Allies?
Chapter 8: To The Rescue
Chapter 9: The Hell Stone
Chapter 10: Making Changes
Chapter 11: Uncertainty
Chapter 12: Camelot
Chapter 13: Physician's Apprentice
Chapter 14: Order for One, please
Chapter 16: Bloodbound Secrets
Chapter 17: With Mindless Actions
Chapter 18: Friendly Encounters
Chapter 19: Watch Your Back
Chapter 20: Iseldir's Wisdom
Chapter 21: Forgive and Forget
Chapter 22: Lancelot
Chapter 23: Betrayal
Chapter 24: Magic and Destiny
Chapter 25: Second Chances
Chapter 26: Starlight Whispers
Chapter 27: Farewell, Princess
Chapter 28: Feast of Beltane
Chapter 29: Morgana Pendragon
Chapter 30: If Tomorrow Comes
Chapter 31: Despair No More
Chapter 32: This is My Home
Epilogue
Author's Note
The Red Knight

Chapter 15: Percival's Birthday

986 44 14
By The3meraldQueen

Despite my outburst, I calmed down. I realised that I was acting stupid. I'm experiencing much for the first time, which means stuff can be overwhelming for me. I'll overreact over things that I have always chosen to ignore or have been too stubborn to face. I had the night to sleep on it and evaluate what happened.

I also thought about my encounter with that man, Allister. I spent a long time wondering what that stone can do and what Allister intends to do with it.

I'm proud that I denied him, thus showing that everything Camelot has done for me changes who I am. Arthur was correct, which is both crazy and fitting alike.

Gaius hasn't spoken of the letter since my outburst, but I've seen it on his desk, folded perfectly. I suppose he hasn't had the time to 'examine' it yet. Or he hasn't wanted to for some reason? I couldn't see why that would be a problem. I leave it on his desk. Something urged me not to touch it.

Camelot buzzes with excitement, an event putting everyone in good spirits, even if they don't know Percival personally. I'm more nervous than excited, having never attended something this vast. Not to mention, this will be my first public appearance since my original arrival in Camelot.

Despite my protests and arguing, Gwen refuses to take no for an answer as she 'prepares' me for the celebration. Not knowledgeable in this 'lady-like' fashion, I confided in Gwen, which I regret. Even though I say no, Gwen takes it upon herself to do whatever she asks about anyway. Now, she braids my hair back in a much neater fashion than I could ever do.

When she starts applying strange ground substances to my face and some liquid to my lips, I'm concerned. I don't question assuming this is normal for a woman attending an event.

"Do you have an escort?" I ask, trying to start a conversation.

"Oh, no", Gwen chuckles at that thought. "I'll be helping the other servants serve."

I frown. "That doesn't mean you couldn't have an escort."

I couldn't imagine a world where no one would ask Gwen, the sweet stunning beauty next to me. Her beauty would even engage a King's attention.

"You also should have asked me to assist you in serving the guests. I would. I still can", I add, playing with the hem of the red dress that I now wear, feeling like a lie.

"No, you'd just do it to find a way to get out of this", Gwen giggles, tucking on the dress to make me swat her hands away because of the tight strain on my breath. Both of us have a good laugh together, Gwen adding her last few touches to her satisfaction.

"It's been a while since Gwaine has asked someone to an event seriously", Gwen comments. A cheeky smirk raises on her lips.

I frown, turning to face Gwen. "What's that supposed to mean?"

Gwen lets out a chuckle. "It's typical of Gwaine to dote over a pretty girl, but it's not often he peruses one unless he's serious about her."

I see the plain picture I havere with Gwen's words chosen to igno. I know Gwaine's personality and understand that he can be flirtatious at times, but I've grown to know him like that. This is probably why I wouldn't see if he were serious or not. Not that I agree with Gwen! I still think he's simply trying to help me fit in and feel accepted.

I press my lips. "We're getting along quite well as friends."

Gwen giggles. "Tell that to Gwaine."

She begins to place flowers into her braided hair. She's dressed in a lovely peach coloured gown, her special occasion dress, I'm assuming.

I can't help but glare at the woman mockingly, amused by her attempts and not impressed with her statements. "Is there someone you'd like to escort you?" I ask, now pressing on the matter, trying to give her a taste of her own medicine.

Gwen presses her lips, confirming that she is thinking of someone. "No."

A broad smile takes my face as it's my turn to play the menacing role.

"Ow, let me guess!" I shriek excitedly, thinking back to any of the men I've seen Gwen have a conversation with. Immediately, my mind runs to the first person I know Gwen is a close friend to. "Sir Leon?" I ask, poking her.

She swats my hand away, laughing, "No! But I'll give you points for trying."

"Hm", I ponder, putting a finger to my lips as I think. The only other time I've seen Gwen in a perfect mood was when she passed Arthur and Merlin in the hallway yesterday. I didn't catch what was said between who, but I know she looked the same way she did when receiving her gift from Elyan. "Merlin?" I ask, dragging out his name in question.

For a moment, Gwen looks at me with wide eyes before bursting out into a fit of laughter. "No! Merlin is sweet, but he's a close friend!"

I scroll, not liking that my accusations are wrong as I'm usually close in observation. "Alright then. Keep your secrets. I'll find out eventually."

Gwen doesn't speak anymore of Gwaine, and I don't talk any more of the mystery guy. The conversation quickly fades out of our minds as the party draws nearer. I become more reluctant to go as time drags on. An occasion like a birthday means socialising. Socialising means lots of people, which isn't my favourite scene to be in.

Gwen is much more excited than me, almost bouncing with anticipation. She gives me last-minute preparation and scolds me for thinking about backing out. I choose to stay silent and allow the serving girl to have a lengthy speech on why I should go. I almost don't realise what had just happened as Gwen leaves to join the other servants.

I'm left in my room, dazzled by Gwen's forward behaviour. I make myself a deal that I'll go, and if I don't like it, I'll leave as soon as I say Happy Birthday to Percival if I have to. If you go, Edythe, this will be personal development, and that means all this crazy life-changing mentally will count for something. The more I convince myself that this is a good thing, maybe I'll believe it.

I flinch at a knock at my door, mentally hitting myself for being so jumpy. I hurry to the door, not liking how the dress wraps around my body. It feels claustrophobic, yet at the same time too loose at the skirt of the dress. It feels bear where pants should be. I nearly trip over the fabric for the hundredth time since I'd put the dress on earlier. I curse every time this happens.

I reach the door, swinging it open with an irritated puff of air from my unnecessary effort to walk. I'm greeted by Gwaine, who lets out a chuckle at my irritation. He must have been able to hear the chaos from the other side of the door. "Good evening."

He's dressed in his usual attire, but instead, it's freshly cleaned armour. His bright, clean red cloak over his shoulders. The only thing missing is his absent sword.

"Hi..." I respond, resting my weight on one leg in annoyance with the dress, trying to calm myself for Gwaine's sake.

Gwaine lets out another chuckle, looking down at my outfit. "I thought you hated dresses?"

I roll my eyes. "Yeah, but when you know Gwen, you have no choice."

Gwaine smiles at my comment, giving the dress one last look over. Immediately my mind wonders what Gwen had said earlier. I mentally scroll at myself to ban the thoughts away. " I think it suits you."

I roll my eyes, smiling in amusement. "Well, it didn't happen overnight, and it's not happening again."

"After being rained in complements, I think you'll reconsider", Gwaine teases. "I mean...you look like a princess, who could deny such beauty?" he knows I hate the niceties.

Deciding the best way out of this is to play along a little. "Princesses need saving. That's not me. I've got it handled," I joke, posing as if having a crown on my head.

Gwaine bursts laughing, giving a bow. "Well, we best not be late to this party, your majesty."

I roll my eyes, walking out into the hallway, pulling the door closed behind me. The dimly lit hallway doesn't make me any less horrified by the fact I'm going to a party. Not to mention being escorted by a Knight of Camelot. Gwen's voice begins creeping into my head.

Gwaine and I engage in usual conversation on our walk to the hall, Gwaine being his usual joking self. This makes me calm down, spending more time laughing than fretting. Distant voices echo through the stone arches of the Castle, becoming a buzz of noise in our approach to the hall. Other people also arriving for the event emerge from other hallways.

Once we turn the final corner to the large wooden door, the hall becomes well lit, the fiery touches glowing like the sun. The large wooden doors are open, revealing the already filled room of people. What once would be an empty hall, aside from the throne, is now tables full of banquet food. Candles decorate the walls and table, creating a vibrant glow.

As we enter the hall, I get lost in awe at the sight of vibrant colours glistening throughout the room. Many noble wives wear bright colours, jewels embroidered into their hair. Women of the lower hierarchy also look stunning in their paler faded colours, much like my dress. Their hair is simpler in braids like my own but more elegant than the jewels.

Most of the men attending are knights of Camelot, which makes sense as it is Percival's birthday. I stare at all the food laid out, ready for the guests, never having seen so much food in my life. Some foods I've never seen before!

"So...?" Gwaine states, nudging me out of my daydream, gaining a glare in response, "should we get a drink?"

I roll my eyes. "Of course, that's the first thing you want to do! What about wishing Percival a happy birthday?"

"He's heard enough of that. I'm sure he won't mind!" Gwaine exclaims in defence. I rolled my eyes again but chose not to further press the matter. Gwaine begins to make his way through the crowd, and I follow, close on his heels. I'm almost tempted to latch onto his arm so that I don't lose the only person I know in this crowd so far.

Looking around, I was expecting to see people staring at me after what had happened when I first arrived. I've heard the rumours running around town. But to my surprise, no one even gives me a second glance, as if I'm another face in a sea of faces. This lightens up my mood, making it feel like old times, in a time when I was a nobody, a thief whose face was unknown.

Gwaine obtains his drink, now setting out to find his friends. I continue to follow, not knowing what to do. I can tell my helplessness amuses Gwaine. The knight greets many people whose names I quickly forget, every one of them completely ignoring me as I tail after him.

"Gwaine! Edythe!" a voice shouts over the flock of voices. I catch Percival waving us over to a far corner by the King's throne. Arthur is seated on the wooden frame with Leon and Percival to his left.

Gwaine directs me in a new path. I make for the group, Gwaine following close behind.

I'm taken by surprise as Percival pulls me into a tight embrace, earning a stiff hug back. "Thank you for coming", he beams, clearing, having had a few too many drinks already. The smell of alcohol runs through his words.

"Of course," I croak from being crushed. I pat the knight's back as he locks me in the tight embrace. "Happy Birthday!"

Finally letting me go, Percival greets Gwaine in a bear hug. Gwaine is taken back like me as he expects a handshake. Gwaine's surprise turns into laughter as he tries to keep his drink from spilling. "Happy Birthday, Big Guy", he excites, pulling out a pouch I didn't realise he had from under his red cloak.

"Gwaine", Percival groans. "I said no gifts!"

"Oh, bite me!" Gwaine throws back, forcing the pouch into the knight's hands.

"I advise you to stay for most of the night", Leon's voice states in my right ear. I flinch in fright, having been distracted by Percival and Gwaine. "Forgive me. I didn't mean to scare you!".

I giggle out of the sudden adrenaline. "No, not at all! Why should I stay?"

"Because...once those two have a good few drinks, they will be a sight to see", Leon explains, pointing at Percival and Gwaine. A story hides behind the amusement written across his face. I chuckle at the thought, now contemplating the idea.

"Thanks for the heads up", I respond, nudging the Knight in his side.

My attention returns to Percival, who has pulled out a beautifully crafted leather cuff from the pouch. The leather is embedded with braided patterns forming a large circle at the centre. A dragon with its wings fully stretched out engraved into the leather in the centre.

Much of the night falls into an easy pattern as people continue to socialise, everyone quickly finding seats to accompany the feast. Percival sits beside Arthur at the head of horseshoe-shaped tables. Leon is seated by Percival. Gwaine sits on the horseshoe's corner, facing Leon's side; I then sit next to Gwaine and Elyan next to me. Much to my surprise, I find myself enjoying the night as I discover engaging in conversation easy with the knights.

Merlin and Gwen, accompanied by many other servants, fill drinks around the hall. Gwen and I exchange a short conversation every time she comes around to my side of the table. She reports a gown she had seen or a handsome knight who I (yes me) could 'talk to'. I tease her back, both of us enjoying our small chats even more. Every time she comes back, we gossip like young children.

Gradually the men become affected by the alcohol they consume. I chose to stay away from that, not wanting to tarnish my newly made reputation. Percival gets showered in congratulations. Much to my surprise, I gained a few compliments on my appearance. Gwaine, the sneaky bastard, turned out to be right earlier.

The night ventures on, and I begin to see why others have recommended coming to such an event. I find myself enjoying myself, forgetting all the worries I had prior.

For a moment, I catch sight of Gwen, with that giddy smile on her face, happiness beaming off her wide beautiful eyes. Immediately, I hunt for the man she must be talking to, confusion filling me when my eyes find Arthur. Much like her discussions with me, she speaks with Arthur on her rounds. This becomes a consistent thing as the night goes on.

I watch for a moment, observing Arthur's behaviour. A similar giddy smile takes his face, blue eyes gleaming with adoration.

A wave of realisation hits me, and I find myself grinning ear to ear. Although my logical mind screams the obvious, that he is a King and she a servant, I still find myself already hoping for the two. The similarities paint themselves before me, now understanding Gwen's silence earlier.

"Hey, Edythe?" Gwaine questions, nudging me to gain my attention. I look to the Knight, my attention still over with Arthur and Gwen. "Do you want to get some fresh air for a moment?" he asks, seeming as though he desperately needs it.

It's almost as if his words trigger my legs to go numb by lack of movement, screaming at me to stretch. I nod, agreeing that I should get some air. I'll ponder on how to approach Gwen about Arthur later.

No one notices our movement as we stand and begin to head for the door. Percival and the others are too immersed in a story that Elyan tells.

Strangely enough, it doesn't take us long to find ourselves out in the Royal Gardens. We take a stroll through the moonlit green flora. A few other people wander as well, caught in conversation.

I look up at the night sky, slightly taken aback by its appearance as I haven't looked up at it since arriving in Camelot. It's strange to think I slept under the same moon for endless nights. That life already seems like a distant memory. It's odd to think of how many nights I spent running, hiding, or resting for a job under the same moon.

"Gwen wasn't feeding you lies, was she?" Gwaine jokes, breaking the silence.

"If only that were all", I scoff. "I think Percival's having a good night, don't you think?"

"Oh yes. He probably won't remember it in the morning," Gwaine comments, a wide cheeky smirk on his lips. I giggle at the thought, knowing I'll enjoy that too much.

"I've been told you'll probably be joining him", I tease.

Gwaine places a hand on his chest as if offended. "Who said that?"

"Your breath", I cringe, pushing the knight away playfully. I can smell the alcohol on his breath from a distance. Gwaine steadies himself from the push, stumbling a few steps. The action confirms that he has had a few drinks too many. That thought brings me to burst into a fit of laughter, remembering what Leon had said earlier.

I'll have to report all the embarrassment to Leon later.

"Ha-Ha", Gwaine mimics, giving me a fake glare, only fuelling my laughter.

It feels good to laugh again, like really laugh. It makes me think back to the simpler childhood days when you felt untouchable and no evil existed in the world.

"You know what I just realised?" Gwaine suddenly bursts.

"What?"

"You've told me loads about yourself, and I've told you nothing about me", Gwaine admits.

I scoff at the suggestion, Gwaine not realising that there's lots I haven't told him or anyone else for that matter. But he does speak the truth. I know near to nothing about Gwaine other than he's a Knight of Camelot, really annoying in a likeable way and good at drinking.

"Alright then. What should I know about you, Sir Gwaine? No dark past I should worry about?" I joke.

"Well..." Gwaine starts, pausing for a moment, which concerns me as I begin to expect some long dark back story. "I wasn't always Sir Gwaine."

I laugh. "Gwaine. Every knight wasn't always a Sir."

"No", Gwaine grumbles, pondering on how to explain himself. "I became a knight an unusual way."

His words piqued my interest. "Do tell."

"I used to live a vagabond lifestyle, wandering all over the place, using my sword to win money," he explains, memories emerging on his face. They glimmer into his hazel eyes.

I'm taken into his story. The idea of Gwaine living on the road is not so far fetched. It's intriguing to try and imagine as he's taken to being a knight so well. "I probably caused more trouble than I should have...but living with a sword in hand is all I've known my whole life."

"Why doesn't that surprise me? Wait...you have no family?" I ask, the idea dwelling on me, which makes me want to ask more questions, but I allow Gwaine to explain himself first.

"Oh no, I have a family. I chose to leave fairly young, though," Gwaine answers, the both of us coming to a stone bench in amongst a group of rose bushes. Gwaine sits down. I take a seat next to Gwaine, attention entirely on the knight as he continues. "My father died before I was born. He was a knight. Growing up was hard as my Mother was penniless, left in the world by nobles. I despised nobles, always have, until I met Arthur..."

I'm surprised to learn about Gwaine. Somehow his past did not mean anything to me until now. Hearing that he too, was given a second chance makes me wonder how many times Arthur has chosen to see someone for their worth instead of their wealth and title.

As the next question rises to the surface, Gwaine continues before I can question. "I have an older sister, but we're not on good terms. She's a snivelling old toad."

I cackle at his words.

"But My Mother passed a few years back...seems forever ago."

"I'm sorry", I answer, quickly losing the humour from before as I place a hand on Gwaine's shoulder.

This gesture brings Gwaine to look at me with a gentle smile. "It's okay now. I know she passed happily ...unlike me, she didn't hold grudges, she lived her best life despite having so little."

Gwaine's last sentence makes my heart flutter in understanding. The thought is beautiful. I can tell by his tone Gwaine was fond of his mother, as any child should be of their parent. It warms my heart to know she was loved so.

"So...I presume Arthur changed your mind about nobles?"

"He may not admit it, but I saved his life once...or twice", Gwaine boasts. "Possibly more. But he defended me against his Father's wishes, and as I learned, he's done a lot more for others. So it was only right that I helped him when Morgana took his Kingdom. In return, he knighted me, Percival and Elyan...an old friend also...but he's unfortunately...gone."

Gwaine's last statement forces darkness to fall over our conversation. A shiver runs down my spine.

I now respect Arthur more than I did prior. Knowing Elyan, Percival and Gwaine were knighted in Camelot's greatest need proves that Arthur is different from other nobles. He's different from other kings.

With the mention of his old friend who must have passed in battle, Gwaine now becomes less himself. Out of instinct, I reach out for his hand, taking it into my own. We sit like this for a moment, just enjoying the company and the growth between us.

It's been a long time since I've had a friend. It's nice.

I want to ask more questions, having never seen this side of Gwaine and being interested in seeing more of it. But I don't want to push the boundaries. I can tell it's a challenging topic, so I chose not to ask anything more.

"Edythe?" A voice calls. My head jerks to look in the direction of the voice, finding Arthur's figure emerging from in the garden. "There you are", he sighs. "Gaius requested for both of us to meet in his chambers."

"Why?" I ask, standing in concern.

"I'm not sure. Merlin said it sounded important," Arthur answers, sounding concerned also.

Knowing I should go with Arthur now, concerned for my new mentor's wellbeing, I turn back to Gwaine. I mentally curse whatever this 'something' is. I was connecting with Gwaine personally, something I haven't done in a long time.

I give the knight a kind smile. "I'll see you later."

"I'll look forward to it...your majesty", he farewells, giving me a bow.

I let out a loud cackle at the reminder of my comment earlier in the night. A wide teasing grin appears on Gwaine's face. I give the knight one last wide smile and bow, both of us laughing at the gesture as I walk away to join Arthur.

Arthur and I don't speak as we march on our mission to the Physician's chambers. Many thoughts begin to run through my mind, like, what if Gaius doesn't like my work? What if I'm not allowed to stay in Camelot? Have I done something wrong? Have I made a mistake and caused a problem? What if Gaius is hurt? What if it's just a simple matter needed to be shared between the three of us? What if I'm overthinking everything?

That's when Allister comes into my mind, reminding me of our encounter. Had Gaius seen it? The colour drains from my face as I could only imagine what that would have looked like. My heart begins to pump in my chest. Will I be able to talk myself out of this one? Or is this it? Is this my last chance?

We approach Gaius' chambers faster than my thoughts had hoped for, all the scenarios running through my head in a wave of nonsense. Arthur plants a solid three knocks on the door, giving me a comforting smile, though I can see he is uneasy about what may be the discussion. All the enjoyment from tonight now ceases as I panic over something we don't even know yet. A voice calls for us to enter, Arthur, pulling open the door. He gestures me in first as we both enter the Physician's chambers.

The large room is dimly lit with a few candles. Others have gone out long ago. Gaius sits by his desk, glasses resting on the bridge of his nose, in the most well-lit part of the room. He leans back in his chair, face expressionless as he watches the two of us enter. His eyes run over the two of us faster than anyone would usually look over two people. His breath hitches in his throat as we stop in front of him side by side.

"What is it you wished to speak with us about, Gaius?" Artur asks, standing tall, arms crossed in a business-like fashion.

"Sire...I suggest you sit down," Gaius advises, voice croaked. "You too, Edythe."

Arthur and I share a glance, unmoving for a moment in confusion. Arthur pulls out a stool, offering it to me, but I decline, choosing to take a seat on one of Gaius' tables. I'm stiff as Gaius continues to stare between the two of us strangely.

With us both now sitting, Arthur presses, "Let's get this over with Gaius. We're missing a celebration."

"I assure you, Sire, you may not want to return to the celebration once you hear what I have to say", Gaius assures, placing his hands on the table.

I frown as the Physician grabs onto a piece of paper. I immediately recognise the letter my father had left with me. Gaius looks directly at me as if reading my mind, smiling at me.

"Gaius, what does my letter have to do with what you're about to say?" I ask, my heart-stopping. All thought goes blank as I stare wide-eyed.

"Edythe", Gaius begins, a tear in his eye as he says my name. "This isn't the first time I've seen this letter."

I frown, my breath hitching in my throat. "What do you mean?"

"A long time ago, I was handed this very letter and given a task", Gaius explains, holding up the letter. "I was given a young newborn girl, with the task of seeing her safely in the arms of the druids."

His words fill my ears, but they sound as if blurred. The water begins to sting my eyes, the reality not seeming possible as I sit stiff and ridged on the wooden table. My fingers tightly grasp the edge. "N-no...you're...you're lying", I croak, turning to denial, not allowing myself to believe.

"I would do no such thing."

"Wait. You know Edythe?" Arthur asks, sitting forward in his chair, intrigued. "You know her parents?"

"Yes," Gaius answers.

A sob erupts in my throat, tears immediately falling as I bring my hand to my mouth, trying to stop myself from crying.

I've had so many questions all my life and wondered what life I could have lived once. I have to be in a dream.

"And so do you", Gaius adds, now looking across to Arthur.

Arthur frowns at the comment, my eye flying across the room to Arthur.

My tears stop for a moment as I realise what's happening. I'll learn their names. I'll know where I've come from. Do I want to know? Yes, knowing is better than not...right? I might be able to meet them, or at least know where they're buried. All colour drains from my face with that thought, my knees beginning to shake, breath caught in my throat.

Arthur gives Gaius a questioning look.

"Arthur..." Gaius begins, now looking across at me as he tries to form words, some tears in his own eyes. "There is much that your Father never spoke of..." Gaius stumbles as he tries to find the right words. My heart begins to punch through my chest, Arthur's face also became pale.

"Arthur, Edythe is your sister."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.3K 633 20
Arthur Pendragon has always trusted his father's opinion of sorcery. He has witnessed, first hand, the atrocities Camelot's enemies could commit with...
82.5K 2.2K 22
My name is Prince Merlin Aragon Ambrosius, and I hate being a prince, so much that I ran away from home, to live in Camelot, a place where my kind ar...
20.3K 506 15
The mythical city of Camelot, in a time before history began. A fantastical realm of legendary beasts and mysterious peoples. A dangerous worlds in w...
7K 574 17
Uther Pendragon is dead. The sorcerer succeeded. And now a new king rules over Camelot and fights wars with the neighboring kingdoms. At his side, hi...