How to find a Husband in 100...

By MelonDiaries

TO BE REVISED. DRAFT. Michelle Newman had finally caught her break when her father named her the new Presiden... More

Author's Note
Prologue
One
Two
Three
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Ninteen
Twenty
Twenty One
Twenty Two
Twenty Three
Twenty Four
Twenty Five
Twenty Six
Twenty Seven
Twenty Eight
Twenty Nine
Thirty
Thirty One
Epilogue
Author's Note: Acknowledgments

Four

22.6K 651 9
By MelonDiaries

A/N: Hey fellas! Sorry for the late update. I've been busy with my grandmother's birthday.

I hope you will enjoy this chapter. I will be updating by the weekend.

Have an awesome week and happy reading!

P.S. Thank you and welcome new readers!

-----

Four

After I could no longer see Hugh's retreating back, I turned around the bar counter looking for the bartender to ask him for my drink. But, I didn't need to. He was already behind me with a slight stunned expression and my drink in his hands.

“Good, you're here. I really need that now.” I stated sternly, tapping my hands on the counter to tell him to place it right in front of me.

He gave me a bleak smile then placed my drink down. I didn't wait a second and grabbed it as soon as he let it go, drowning it down like it's a shot. After gulping down the last drop, I placed it back in front of me and wiped my mouth with the back of my hands. I looked up towards the bartender, who was still standing in front of me with the same expression.

“Get me something stronger.” I ordered almost angrily, snapping him out from his stunned state.

He gave me a brief nod before hurrying away to get my drink. I think I've scared him away. But, I didn't dwell on it as my phone started vibrating with an incoming call. Jade's name was flashing on my screen. I picked it up in annoyance and place the phone by my right ear.

“What?” I asked after clicking the answer button.

“Where the heck are you? What the hell Mitch? You can't just disappear on us like that! For goodness sake...” She started cursing and yelling in reply. So, I got the phone away from my ear. Her words were cut short from that as I decided to end the call.

Jade thinks that I didn't get the message, so she called back after a few seconds. And, this time, since I already know what she wanted to say, I didn't answer it. She continued to call me twice before my second drink came. After I drown that one and asked for another glass, Jade stopped calling. For a whole minute, my phone and the bar became silent. Then, the moment was lost as someone threw something behind me.

“What the hell!” I jumped out of the stool chair I was seating and turned around at the direction of where I was hit.

I glance down at the floor first, seeing that it was a familiar black clutch that was thrown at me. I can't believe someone threw a purse at me. And, as I look up to the culprit, my doubts ceased.

“So, this is where you've been! We have been looking everywhere for you!” Jade shouted in rage, not really caring about the five people in the room that was there for the silence.

“Is it really necessary to throw a purse at me?” I asked in irritation.

“If I hadn't, you wouldn't understand the gravity of how pissed I am right now!” She replied in the same volume, her voice ringing in the room.

“Would you calm down, please? You found me already... Sheesh...” I eyed her in disbelief before turning back around, grabbing back my fourth drink.

“Paige is up at the suite looking for you.” She informed as I heard her heels clacking towards me. “How many did you drink? You have left the party more than an hour already.” She asked as she sat down on the stool beside me.

“I just got here.” I replied briefly, looking away from her as I took another gulp from my drink.

“How many rounds is this?” She asked, but from the tone of her voice, she wasn't anymore talking to me.

“That's her fourth, ma'am.” The bartender replied. This was the first time I heard his voice since I entered the bar.

“What is she drinking?” She continued to interrogate.

“It's just a cosmo... It doesn't have much alcohol in them.” He replied shyly as he paused for a second before pointing out the last part.

I turned towards him, eyeing him disbelief. I thought he gave me something more with alcohol content, but turns out he had lessen it. “You do know who I am right?” I asked him, my voice sounded a little bit threatening.

“Please don't mind her. Thank you for keeping her from being drunk. She can't handle that much alcohol anyways.” Jade interject, giving the bartender her full attention. And then, she paused for a second and turned to me with a serious expression. “You need to get back to our room now!”

“I don't really feel like staying here anymore. Since, for one, he is here fucking some slut.” I whined shamelessly, not anymore hiding the reason of my current actions.

“Yes, I somehow connected the dots. I saw him at the party and he saw Paige and me. And, when I saw him went out of the venue, I had a feeling he went to look for you.” She started softly with a sigh and paused as she stood up. “Judging from they way you are acting, it seemed that he did find you.” She added with a smirk.

“This is not funny, Jade. You know this is not funny.” I stated seriously.

“For you it isn't. But, for me... Well, you know me...” She grins evilly as she grabbed my arm, pulling me out of my chair. “Let's head back and talk there. This isn't a good place to sulk.”

It took me a moment to decide whether to got with her. But, I was really tired and I can't really stay in the bar and sleep in that chair. So, with a heavy heart, I got up and allowed her to drag me back to our room. I don't feel shameless on how I'm acting right now. I don't care that people started to look at me as someone they pitied. After what happened for the past forty-eight hours, I'm surprise I just broke down now.

When we got back to our room, Paige welcomed me with a bear hug and a scolding of her own. Though she was the one who told me to go and hide, her worries is directed to the fact that I didn't call and told her where I was. So, I stood by her and listened like I always do. Since, for one, Paige always has a point and she is only sassing me because she is really worried.

After her lecture, we all washed up and went straight to bed. We decided to stay in one room with the biggest bed. But, we didn't go to sleep directly. And as we lay there silently for a few minute, Jade finally decided that it was time for another night chat.

“So, how did Hugh find you?” She asked, a topic I didn't want to participate.

“I wouldn't have an idea. He said to me that it was expected that I would be staying at my own hotel. That's how he found me.” I replied in a dead tone.

“True. I think he have some brain in that pretty head of his...” She chuckled at her own joke.

“Can we not talk about him?” I scoffed and asked sternly. “How about you tell me about this guy you mention earlier today? Why in heavens you suggested this place?”

For a moment, there was silence in the room from the lack of response. Then, Jade decided to finally tell us. “Jeremy is here.” She answered softly.

“Jeremy Lucas?” Paige asked, finally jumping in the conversation.

“Who else?” Jade sighed in exasperation as she twisted sideway to lean her head on her hand, placing it up with her elbow.

“Right. So, you came here for Jeremy Lucas?” I stated in context, trying to see her reasons before she gave me her full explanation. “Did you see him at the party?”

“Yes... And no.” She groans in exasperation and layback down on her back.

“Are you still hang up with this guy?” I asked a little hesitant, but the tone of her voice already said it all.

“Jade, if you like this guy, why did you let him go?” Paige added sternly.

“I don't know. He was starting to get on my nerves...” She replied in annoyance, though we knew it wasn't directed at us. “After being together for almost a month, he started asking about things... things that I'm not sure I can be ready...” She trailed off in admission.

“Jade. I know it's been awhile since you have a serious relationship. And, I promise you, if a man started to initiate to have a relationship with you - that is exclusive - it's a sign that he is not playing with you.” I stated seriously.

“I know. I know... You keep saying stuff like that... But, you know I don't like settling down just yet...” She whined.

“And, that is where I have nothing to say. If you don't decided this for yourself, you'll be in this state for as long as you make a decision.” I pointed out sternly.

“Jade, how about you tell him how you feel? I think he will understand.” Paige backed me up in the same tone.

“My god, you two are such a pain.” She groans in annoyance.

“It's all your doing, Jade. Don't blame me when I'll start to say I told you so.”

After Jade cut off that topic, we decided that we should get some sleep or we will never get any if we continued to talk about our problems. Jade may seem to be liberated and spontaneous, but she is a very sensitive person and get easily worried. This is the one of the many traits I love about her. I could only tolerate most of her words and action, but at the end of the day, she needs us to assure her that she didn't do anything stupid in life.

The next day, we decided that we should head back early since the mission to find me a husband part 1 had failed. Jade still hadn't let me off from ditching them last night. I'm glad Paige was there to cool her down and suggested something else. Though I wasn't all up for Paige's suggestions, I did owe them for last night.

The flight back was a drag, for me at least. Jade and Paige discussed about plan B on how to find me my not-so-distant future husband. I stayed out on most of the talk, refusing to listen or even participate on the their plans. I've already decided that I would go along with it as payment about last night. So, with a heavy heart, I allowed them to set me up with someone soon.

When we landed, Jade had a phone call to attend and left Paige and me to get our luggage. We waited near the exit with my butler/driver and sometime bodyguard, Russell. When she came back, her face had light up into a huge smile. I eyed her in confusion. Why is she suddenly happy?

“Did something come up from that phone call?” I asked, a little curious by her sudden enthusiasm.

“Yes. And, this is not for me. It's for you.” She almost squealed in reply.

My eyed grew wide as the words coming out of her mouth. “What did you do?”

“Nothing.” She replied briefly and chuckled. “But, keep your schedule free from six until nine tonight. We are going out.” She added sternly, but the smile on her face didn't waver.

I turned towards Paige who was looking at us in amusement. “Don't look at me. I have no clue as you are.” She stated sheepishly.

“Fine.” I grumbled in defeat. “What is this about?” I asked in disinterest.

“You have to wait and see.” Jade replied coyly and winked at me as she walked ahead of us.

I gaped at her retreating back, dumb founded. What is this girl planning again? She knew better than do something I don't agree on. And, she already knows the list of things I don't want her to do.

After getting our entire luggage at the back of the black Audi A8 sedan, I hopped in the front passenger seat as Paige and Jade got in the back. When we've all settled in, Russell drove us out of the airport towards our first drop off, Paige's place.

It took us at least forty-five minutes to get to Paige's apartment building. After dropping her off, we separated ways without a proper goodbye as Jade told her to come over to my place before six. I turned towards Jade as she said that while still inside the car with me, her head popping out of the open window. What is this girl planning?

Russell drove through the traffic patiently and dropped off Jade at her place. As Russell helped with her huge, metallic luggage, I got out of the car to go talk to her. She was standing by the back passenger door.

“Jade, can you at least give me a hint for tonight? You know I don't deal well with surprises.” I asked and stated sternly, a little annoyed at how secretive she was.

“Just wear your sexy, casual clothes – preferably a mini skirt and plain cotton top.” She replied nonchalantly as her attention is towards the phone on her hands.

“That is it? You are just going to tell me what to wear?” I asked in frustration and then something clicks in my head. “Oh No! You are not taking me to one of those parties again.” I accused as I looked at her in disbelief.

“Oh! Please don't over react. We need to do anything and everything that is possible to find you a husband, and looking is the hardest part. You have to take all chances you get.” Jade countered in defense as she turned away from her phone and look up at me in challenge.

“You are too in to this than I expected.” I mumbled in defeat.

“Like I said, you asked me.” She replied with confidence, a smirk toying at the ends of her lips.

“I'm going home.” I stated in finality, ending our conversation. “I'll see you later.” I gave her a little, half hearted wave as I got back inside.

And just in time, Russell had finished placing Jade things on the sidewalk beside her and walked around the car towards the driver seat. Before he backs out and turned towards the main street, I gave Jade another wave of goodbye, but still it was half hearted. I think I would feel indifferent toward Jade until I'm able to find someone to marry. She would continue to be this annoying for the next three months or so, no doubt.

When we got back to my apartment building, Russell swiftly parked the car at my reserved parking spot. I got out after he turned off the ignition and went straight to the elevator door, which was located beside the car. I pushed the call button and immediately the elevator door opened. I turned back towards Russell who was getting my luggage at the back of the car.

“I'm going up first, Russell. Can you get my things to Maria, please? I'll be going out after I change.” I asked.

“Yes, Ms. Newman. I'll have your Porsche ready.” He replied with a brief nod.

I got in the elevator and punch in a password on the call button after the metal door closed. And slowly, the lift ascended towards my penthouse at the top most part of the building. As the elevator door opened, I quickly stepped out on the hallway that leads to my main door. I stopped in front of the door and punch in the password that was placed on the right side of the doorknob.

“Maria!” I called as I closed the door behind me.

“Ms. Newman. Welcome back. How was your trip?” Maria asked as she appeared from the direction of the kitchen in the right side.

“I’m exhausted.” I replied grimly. “Did I get any calls over this weekend from Rayne?” I asked, referring to my secretary at work.

“No. But, your mother called.” She replied with a small smile.

“What did she want?” I asked, slightly stiffening from her words. I can’t believe she had the nerved to call right away from how I reacted last time we met.

“She wanted to know when you can have lunch with her within the week.” She replied softly.

I couldn’t help but roll my eyes at that message she left. I made my way towards the living room just across the hall. “How many times did she call?” I asked as I stopped by the couch.

“Three times within this morning.” She replied almost guilty.

“Okay. Thank you Maria.” I gave her a brief nod before turned towards the direction of my room on the left side. “I’ll be going out today. Jade and Paige are coming over. If I’m not here by then, tell them I will be back.” I added with my back to her.

“Understood, Ms. Newman.”

After a quick change into comfortable blue jeans, a cotton knitted top and doll shoes, I called over to Maria that I’m heading out before walking out of the apartment. When I got to the building garage, Russell was there by my Porsche wiping the hood of the car.

“Thank you, Russell. I’ll be back this afternoon. You can head back up now.” I said as I got the keys from him and entered the driver seat.

“Have a safe trip, Ms. Newman.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

140K 3.9K 24
Mr. Carter has a new secretary, beautiful, mysterious and quiet. This new secretary happens to be both an efficient secretary and a woman with a broa...
1.4K 15 19
It all started with a billionaire businessman falling in love with his governess they've had a lot of difficulties but now they are finally walking d...
46.6M 1M 41
Grief-stricken over the death of the boss who was like a father to her, Olivia Bailey is left to deal with the aftermath--the arrival of his dashing...
92 27 26
This is a love story with made up characters. Shannon said .. Yes..I wanna find happiness but at what price. Shannon a 25 year-old daughter of a pr...