The Cowboy's Lady

Autorstwa JerrySkell

A Cinderella tale from the old west Emeleth watched as the cowboy walked across the dance floor approaching h... Więcej

Chapter 1 The Cowboy
Chapter 2 The Lady
Chapter 3 First Encounter
Chapter 4 The Ulysses S. Grant Suite
Chapter 5 Egg Money
Chapter 6 Lady Incognitus
Chapter 7 Midsummer Dance
Chapter 8 Calico Beans
Chapter 9 London
Chapter 10 Sweeney
Chapter 11 Manda
Chapter 12 Pettibone Creek
Chapter 13 Manda Remembers
Chapter 14 Collecting on a debt
Chapter 15 Nurse Em
Chapter 16 Discovered
Chapter 17 Viscountess Em
Chapter 18 Chicago
Chapter 19 Shopping
Chapter 20 Firestorm
Chapter 21 Lost Dog
Chapter 22 Liverpool
Chapter 23 Devonshire House
Chapter 24 The Voucher
Chapter 25 Busks
Chapter 26 Cowboy Load
Chapter 28 Confrontation
Chapter 29 St. Greer
Chapter 30 Across the Moors
Chapter 31 The Watchers
Chapter 32 Summer Solstice
Chapter 33 The Trap
Chapter 34 The Bog
Chapter 35 Pursuit
Chapter 36 The London Season

Chapter 27 Christmas Ball

170 13 1
Autorstwa JerrySkell

"Smoke, bring that back," Amanda said while laughing at her little dog as it raced around the the huge tree that David had ordered to be set up. "We never did this at home."

"I like it," Emeleth said as they hung ribbons and colorful ornaments that they had made on the tree. "Prince Albert brought this tradition from Germany." They had a fire blazing in the fireplace while they made ornaments and David, his brother, Gregory and Nat were tasked with placing them on the tree where the women could not reach. "I heard from my brothers."

"What did they have to say?" David asked as he wrapped the tree with a string of colored popcorn.

"They are fine, They bought out Pa's share of the business and are doing quite well."

"What is Pa doing?" Amanda asked doing her best to sound disinterested.

"The twins said he just disappeared after they raised the money to buy him out."

"I hope he stays disappeared," Amanda whispered.

"I can't wait to wear my new ball gown," Emeleth said.

"I would like to see it too," David said, "you've not said a thing about it."

"It's really nice and Manda's is even more beautiful."

"How did you manage an invitation for Manda? She's only sixteen and has yet to come out."

"Actually Jenna's mom Ruth did."

"If you would like we could take the carriage out for a ride. It's going to be a gloriously sunny day," David said as he sat on the floor next to Emeleth.

"Could all us girls go," Emeleth asked.

"Pat and I would like to stay home today," Jenna said, "but Kim and Jenny can go."

"Oh, yes!" Amanda said.

"Socks and shoes if you want to go."

"But Davey," Emeleth teased, "I never wear shoes." The girls were assisted by their maids into a light wool day dress with a soft cotton lining. Emeleth pulled her new silk stockings and tied her garter just below her knee and folded the stockings over the garter. Then all five of them descended the stairs like a thundering herd of wildebeests and laughing as the donned their capes and pulled on gloves. "We're ready Davey," Emeleth said breathlessly. Jenna laughed at them with their most unladylike deportment in descending the stairs.

"I've had the carriage pulled around in front. Sean and a footman will accompany us on horse back. Shall we go?" With the sun out it was much warmer than the last few days and the streets were crowded with a variety of carriages and people on horses. They were all well known from the visiting Jenna had organized and were greeted and hailed by numerous members of polite society out to enjoy the day. "You all seem rather popular," David noted.

"Jenna says I'm a curiosity," Emeleth said, "a cowgirl Viscountess."

"Should we get horses for you all to ride?" David asked.

"OH YES!" Amanda said.

"When we visit the estate after the new year we can get horses. I can just picture you all racing across the moors like a bunch of wild Indians."

"Davey, is Jerry coming to the ball too," Amanda asked shyly.

"I believe so," David replied and Amanda smiled brightly and her face reddened.

"You made her day," Emeleth whispered in his ear.

"How are you holding up Sweetheart?"

"I'm happy, I do miss home but not nearly as much as I had thought. You've made me very happy."

"You know I love you, sometimes it feels like I never tell you enough how happy you've made me. I was a little afraid that London society would be overwhelming but you are thriving here."

"I have a lot of support here, if I had been alone...I just can't imagine being here without you."

"We will leave London for St Greer after the holiday, I'm thinking March or a little later."

"Yes and dash around on horses, that will be so much fun."

"The moors are beautiful in the spring and summer. There is a perfusion of wild flowers, daffodils and later the heather."

"Can I keep a garden?"

"Yes and you'll have access to some green houses too. Jenna tells me she is growing orange trees and orchids."

"Yes, in the conservatory here too. I've been helping."

The day of the ball had arrived and the men waited in the vestibule. "What's taking them?" Nat said.

"Their all held up in Jenna's room getting ready," David said, "this is Emeleth's and Amanda's first ball." Em couldn't sleep last night she was so excited." They heard the door to Jenna's room open and Jenna and her daughters dresses in black gowns exited first. Those that followed were more colorful. Emeleth was the last to exit. Her dress was a deep blue almost purple silk. It was off her shoulders and and cut low on her back. She had on gloves that extended above her elbows and a matching choker necklace and dangling earrings. Her hair was down and the contrast between her thick dark wavy hair and the smooth ivory whiteness of the exposed skin of her neck, chest and shoulders were enough to stop David's heart from beating. Amanda was wearing a similar dress in dark green silk that was closed by lacing on the back. Her dress also left her shoulders exposed and had short puffy off the shoulder sleeves. Amanda's hair was in a bun low on the back of her head with long tendrils of her curly hair at her temples and exiting the bun. The group of women descended the staircase with regal grace where the men waited holding their wraps. "You take my breath away Cinderella," David whispered. They used two carriages to get them all to the ball. Jerome held Amanda's hand for the entire ride.

They entered the hall and surrendered their coats and wraps and were announced as they descended the huge staircase to the ball room. Emeleth looked around the hall with awe. David had given her a pair of quisling glasses that dangled from a thin gold chain around her neck. She had easy access to them and they were small enough to remain discreet. "Is the Queen here?" she whispered.

"She will make a brief visit later, so relax." Emeleth took a deep breath.

"You cousin Sidney is here."

"We saw each other. I'm surprised he came."

"Do you think he knows you're on to him?"

"I'm sure he suspects as is much."

"Amanda is really excited, we were talking most of the night."

"So, that's where you went to."

"We were in the library. All us girls were there. Steph was showing off her engagement rig. She is head over heels in love with Nat."

"That has been obvious to any one with eyes."

"I think Mandy loves Jerry."

"I think she is too young."

"I agree with you there... Davey?" Emeleth whispered coyly.

"Yes Em."

"Do I have to dance with other men?" David laughed smiling at her.

"Greg, Jerry, and Nat will want a dance with you. The Marquess too I would imagine."

"What about others?"

"I'll stay close and growl at anyone that approaches. You have no idea how possessive I can be." Emeleth was in constant demand for dances, David only managed one with her before a herd of admirers descended on her. David danced with Jenna, Pat, Kim, Jenny, Steph and Amanda. David kept a close eye on Amanda but she mostly danced with Jerome which could be a scandal in the making. David was dancing with Duchess Ruth, Jenna's mother.

" 'The ton' is quite taken with your Emeleth," Ruth said.

"I'm rather fond of the little woman myself."

"I'm happy for her. She is one of a kind, a real pearl. She really impressed the Duke when she came over with all the girls in tow."

"She has always had that effect on me too." David told the story of their first encounter and subsequent courtship.

"She is without guile and very intelligent. Those quislings glasses you got her are great."

"Yes she has the most beautiful eyes, it's a shame to hide them behind her spectacles."

"They look purple tonight," Ruth said, "from the dress no doubt."

On the other side of the room Emeleth danced with the Duke. He was very talkative and described Jenna and Pat growing up. He expressed his gratitude for her efforts at bringing them together. After the dance he escorted her to a chair and brought her champagne and she smiled gratefully at him. She was fanning herself. She was watching other couples dance. It was approaching the time they had planned to leave. The dancers all appeared as a soft colorful blur as they passed her. Thousand of candles glowed from crystal chandlers and other gas lights illuminated the ball room. The room smelled from the scent of the beeswax candles and mix of the numerous colognes and perfumes used by the attendees. The room was stuffy but it did not hamper her happiness. A servant approached her holding a silver tray containing an envelope. "A message for you Viscountess St. Greer," the servant said and disappeared into the crowd. Emeleth open the missive and using her quisling glasses read. Her heart stopped and her soul was gripped with terror.

David found her moments later. He immediately realizes she was in distress. She looked up and stood to embrace him. He could feel her trembling in his arms. He rubbed her back and kissed her cheek gently. Wordlessly she handed him the letter. It was wrinkled and obviously had been carried in a pocket for some time. David read the note: surrender upon demand one virgin girl child and it was signed by her father and two witnesses. "Where did you get this?" David asked.

"I don't know but we have to find Manda."

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

816 42 24
I shifted uncomfortably in my seat as he stared across the table at me. I could seriously drown in his eyes. He was intoxicatingly attractive and he...
778K 18.3K 17
"How dare you!!" His stare and cold voice made me step back with fear scared of what he will do "You clumsy woman!! Keep those disgusting hands of yo...
6 0 39
"Courtney?" Courtney looked at the man beside her in the car. "When We arrive at the house, we will eat then go to the courts" "yes Garrett" "we will...
121 1 1
Historical Romance From the moment she laid eyes on him, Rue thought Hawke Masters the most insufferable man she'd ever met. Proud, arrogant, overbea...