The Cowboy's Lady

By JerrySkell

A Cinderella tale from the old west Emeleth watched as the cowboy walked across the dance floor approaching h... More

Chapter 1 The Cowboy
Chapter 2 The Lady
Chapter 3 First Encounter
Chapter 4 The Ulysses S. Grant Suite
Chapter 5 Egg Money
Chapter 6 Lady Incognitus
Chapter 7 Midsummer Dance
Chapter 8 Calico Beans
Chapter 9 London
Chapter 10 Sweeney
Chapter 11 Manda
Chapter 12 Pettibone Creek
Chapter 13 Manda Remembers
Chapter 14 Collecting on a debt
Chapter 15 Nurse Em
Chapter 16 Discovered
Chapter 17 Viscountess Em
Chapter 18 Chicago
Chapter 19 Shopping
Chapter 20 Firestorm
Chapter 21 Lost Dog
Chapter 22 Liverpool
Chapter 23 Devonshire House
Chapter 24 The Voucher
Chapter 26 Cowboy Load
Chapter 27 Christmas Ball
Chapter 28 Confrontation
Chapter 29 St. Greer
Chapter 30 Across the Moors
Chapter 31 The Watchers
Chapter 32 Summer Solstice
Chapter 33 The Trap
Chapter 34 The Bog
Chapter 35 Pursuit
Chapter 36 The London Season

Chapter 25 Busks

187 16 0
By JerrySkell

Amanda was standing at the mirror as she was assisted into her new corset. Her maid was adjusting the lacing while Emeleth, Stephanie, Patricia and Jenna with her daughters watched. "Don't lace me up too tight," Amanda pleaded.

"It's not meant to be overly tight," Jenna said, "a girls got to breathe."

"It's tighter than any I've ever worn before."

"It's you fist really fitted one," Emeleth said reassuringly. "It will help your posture and support your breasts. You have a fantastic figure Manda." Jenna stepped around to face Amanda. She held in her hand a long wide but thin piece of whale bone. She put her fingers into Amanda's corset between her breasts and locating the narrow pocket slid in the whale bone.

"What's that?" Amanda said looking surprised.

"It's a busk. It was mine when I was your age. It will help with your posture. You tend to hunch over."

"Take it out, it's not comfortable."

"You can take it out for meals or when we go out," Jenna said, "once your posture is corrected you wont need it."

"You cried when Mama made you were that thing," Patricia teased.

"Yes, but it gave me a good posture, that was what is was for. Kim and Jennie didn't need to wear one." Emeleth stood next to Amanda and hugged her reassuringly.

"I always thought the word busk meant to preform or pretend," Emeleth said.

"It does," Jenna said, "street performers are called busker's. But so is the bone insert. OK girls, balance these books on you head and walk around. Remember, grace, poise. You all move so lady like. Except you Em, you march like a general," That comment had all the young women laughing. Emeleth laughed so hard she dropped the book.

"Em has always been in charge," Amanda teased.

"We need to practice the art of the curtsy today too," Jenna said.

"I can do that," Amanda said.

"Actually it not that easy," Patricia said. "It varies with the rank of the person you are greeting."

"FIDDLESTICKS!" Emeleth said, "so many rules."

"As an American and a Viscountess most of your lapses will be overlooked," Jenna said, "but less so for Manda and Steph."

"You mentioned we are receiving guests today," Emeleth said.

"Yes, David's cousin Sidney."

"OH! I hope Nat comes too!" Stephanie gushed.

"I'm sure he will," Patricia said smiling at her daughter.

"Then our brother will be visiting," Jenna whispered.

"Do you think Winston will be civil?" Patricia said caustically.

"I hope so, he was really nasty when you ran off with Greg."

"I'm sure Davey will intimidate him," Emeleth said, "he growls like a grizzly bear."

"Yea, I seen him run off my Pa with a growl." Amanda said with a giggle.

"We really need to work on your English," Jenna said teasingly, "I've hired an elocutionist, she starts next week."

The family was seated in the library when Nigel knocked discreetly and Sidney and Nat were admitted.

"I must extend my apologies Lady Jenna," Sidney said smoothly, "I should have come sooner but Keith's accident made we reluctant to disturb you." Jenna had extended her hand and Sidney held it. Nat smiled sheepishly at Stephanie who smiled shyly back. Emeleth's first impression of Sidney was mixed. He had the air of a seasoned busker. He appeared sincere but Emeleth did not buy it. Smoke was sitting on Amanda's lap emitting a low growl. Smoke usually liked everyone, but not Sidney. The conversation was centered on how David and Emeleth met and their trip to London.

"Buy the way David?" Sidney said, "would you like me to stay on as manager of DeMeer properties?"

"Please continue, Keith seemed pleased with your work," David said.

"I was wondering if you would like me to move the books to Greene's offices. It would make things easier," Sidney said.

"Traditionally the books have been kept at Devonshire House," David said, "but I will speak to my father. You have lodgings here at the house I understand."

"Yes, the Marquess has given me a suite of rooms."

While this conversation was ongoing Nat and Stephanie were conversing quietly, "You are coming back for dinner tonight," Stephanie said smiling sweetly.

"I would hate to be a burden."

"Jerome will be here,"

"He's always here, it's not him I want to spend time with."

"Well then who do you want to spend time with?" Stephanie asked coyly.

"A beautiful woman from Chicago," Nat responded.

"Does that mean you'll come?" Nat nodded in response.

The alloted time for the visit ended and the family prepared for the next guest. Jenna and Patricia appeared tense as they waited and David offered them brandy which they refused. When Nigel announced the next guest a heavy set man with a lot of facial hair was admitted. He was slightly taller than his sisters and his face was flushed. "To what do we owe you presence Winston," Jenna said coolly. Winston looked slowly into the faces of his estranged sisters.

"I've come to apologize for past bad behavior and to give my condolences to you Jenna." The twins facial expressions softened and they approached their brother. After a moment of hesitation they hugged. "I was a damn fool. I am so sorry to have hurt you. I pray you can find it in your heart to forgive me."

"Why did you wait so long Winnie," Jenna whispered. "And yes, you are forgiven, you're our brother."

"I was ashamed. I was unkind...no I was cruel to both of you," Winston looked stricken as he talked. "I didn't think I deserved to be forgiven. Then I heard that you were here too Pat so I came."

"I'm glad you did," Jenna said.

"Which of these lovely young women are your daughters? David, I know you and you to Greg." Jenna handled the introductions. "I have two sons and three daughters I want you to meet."

"I would like that two," Patricia said. She had tears in her eyes, "how's Papa?"

"He's getting old. He has mellowed considerably. If you would like I can broach the subject of you all meeting."

"I so want to see Papa," Jenna said and Patricia nodded.

"Bring him here," David suggested.

"I will broach the subject," Winston said. "I so much want this feuding to stop. It was all mine and fathers doing too. I really just want my sisters back."

"You took the first step," Patricia said softly. "I would love to have my big overly protective brother back in my life."

When the visit was over David again offered brandy to the twins and this time they accepted. "Me too Davey," Emeleth said, "and a nice cigar too."

"I didn't know you drank and smoked," David teased.

"I don't," Emeleth said, "but I need something after all these 'visits'."

Later that night David and Emeleth were alone. "Well Em what do you think of cousin Sidney?"

"He has the sincerity of an undertaker or a lawyer. Other than that he's just perfectly wonderful."

"So I take it you don't like him?"

"Even Smoke didn't like him, he reminds me of a street busker. Now Nat I like."

"I think Sidney is stealing from the estate. Keith found out, now he is dead."

"Do you think Sidney is behind it?"

"I don't know. But I want you to be careful."

"I'll tell Jenna..."

"No yet, but keep you gun handy."

"OK, but I can't hit anything with it," she said sounding exasperated.

"We will go to the shooting range tomorrow."

"Who all is coming?"

"The entire regiment of females," David teased.

"It should be fun. You looked stressed Davey."

"Greg and I have been going over the books and that is stressful."

"Find anything yet?"

"No. Nothing concrete but I will meed to visit the estate to follow up."

"I want to give you a back rub." Emeleth smiled coyley.

"I would love that Em."

"I got some special scented oil," Emeleth teased.

"Where did you find that?"

"I had Sean pick it up for me. He has a wealth of knowledge about such things."

"What scent did you pick?"

"Sardines!" Emeleth laughed as she pulled off his night shirt and had him roll onto his belly.

"Smells rather nice Em," David said as she poured the oil on his back.

"You like fishies?"

"Smells like lavender," She began by placing her small strong hands on his shoulders and neck kneading his sore muscles. "How did you learn to give such good back rubs?"

"It's just like making bread." David closed his eyes as she worked on his back, his sides, along his spine and lower. She was straddling his back as she worked. Then with a giggle she stopped rubbing but was still moving around. David opened his eyes in time to see her night shirt fall to the ground and felt her pour a generous amount of oil on his back. Then she leaned forward until she was laying on his back face down and she began rubbing her entire torso against him. "Do you like that Davey?"

"Oh God yes," David groaned. "Why are you doing it this way? You are so naughty."

"My hands got tired," she whispered in his ear then bit him. She continued sliding for several minutes then said, "I got more oil. Would you like to roll over?" David did not need a second invitation.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.2K 420 31
Sequel to "Escape from the Witch Hunters" Jack kept walking towards her and Ami kept backing up until finally she hit the wall. "Why are you doing th...
73.4K 2.3K 78
"plzz Eric don't do this to him. He is innocent." I begged. "So..." He asked annoyed. "Didn't I tell you to stay away from him? Now bear the conseque...
404K 15.7K 37
**COMPLETED** ~ * ~ * ~ "Just. Leave. Me. Alone!" I ordered pushing him away but he didn't seem to budged. Instead of backing off, he only moved clos...
1.2K 98 17
"I wanted you Lily Rose. You were all I ever wanted. You were the girl I loved." Wanted, loved. Past tense, in the past. No more. He didn't love her...