The Cowboy's Lady

By JerrySkell

A Cinderella tale from the old west Emeleth watched as the cowboy walked across the dance floor approaching h... More

Chapter 1 The Cowboy
Chapter 2 The Lady
Chapter 3 First Encounter
Chapter 4 The Ulysses S. Grant Suite
Chapter 5 Egg Money
Chapter 6 Lady Incognitus
Chapter 7 Midsummer Dance
Chapter 8 Calico Beans
Chapter 9 London
Chapter 10 Sweeney
Chapter 11 Manda
Chapter 12 Pettibone Creek
Chapter 13 Manda Remembers
Chapter 14 Collecting on a debt
Chapter 15 Nurse Em
Chapter 16 Discovered
Chapter 17 Viscountess Em
Chapter 18 Chicago
Chapter 19 Shopping
Chapter 20 Firestorm
Chapter 22 Liverpool
Chapter 23 Devonshire House
Chapter 24 The Voucher
Chapter 25 Busks
Chapter 26 Cowboy Load
Chapter 27 Christmas Ball
Chapter 28 Confrontation
Chapter 29 St. Greer
Chapter 30 Across the Moors
Chapter 31 The Watchers
Chapter 32 Summer Solstice
Chapter 33 The Trap
Chapter 34 The Bog
Chapter 35 Pursuit
Chapter 36 The London Season

Chapter 21 Lost Dog

234 16 1
By JerrySkell

"Have you thought of a name for the dog?" Emeleth asked

"Smoke," Amanda said, "we found her in smoke."'

"Come Smokey," Stephanie said and the little dog ran to her climbing into her lap and licking her face and ears. "She's such a cute dog."

"David said we can keep her," Emeleth said.

"What kind of dog is she?" Stephanie asked.

"A con dog," David said as he walked into the room where Pat, Steph, Manda and Em were all sitting barefoot on the floor feeding bits of meat to the dog.

"Is that a new breed," Pat asked, "I've not heard of that one."

"It's actually a type of terrier I think," David said, "It conned you all into taking it in and feeding it."

"She does have such a sad face," Emeleth said and offered the dog a piece of lunch meat. The dog gently took the offered treat.

"A con dog's face," David teased.

The dog then ran to David and looked into his face with it's sad expressive eyes. David bent over and gingerly patted the dog on the head. The dog looked at him as if to say, "You're new at this aren't you," David said, "I've never had a dog." Then to the others, "You'll all be busy taking care of it on the train and the boat."

"We can teach her to do tricks," Amanda said.

"I was lucky," David said, "I played the Viscount card and got us extra rooms on the steamer. So it's a go for you and your family Pat.

"Harold will stay but I really feel the need to visit Jenna and the girls right now."

"It's been a few years since you spent time with her," Gregory said. "I'll rent a place in London..."

"No you won't," David said, "I insist you stay with us at St. Greer or the London house. They are both oppressively large and much to quiet. The girls will liven it up nicely."

"Thank you, we accept," Gregory said.

"Is Jenna at your houses or did she return to Papa's?" Patricia asked.

"I offered her permanent residence in the homes she shared with Keith. It only seemed proper to make the offer."

"You as always are a generous man," Patricia said.

"Jenna was nice to me," David replied shrugging his shoulder.

"We have a ton of planning to do," Patricia said. "I shall take my personal maid as will Stephanie."

"Well leave the butler to run the house for Harold," Gregory added.

"Are you going to hire maids here?" Patricia asked.

"We will in London," David said, "until then Manda and Em will have to manage themselves."

"We always have," Emeleth said.

"Our Pullman will handle us all for the trip to New York," Gregory said. "I'll hire a cook."

"I want to be the cook!" Emeleth insisted.

"That will be so much fun Papa," Stephanie said, "I want to cook too." Gregory looked suprised, shrugged his shoulders and nodded in agreement.

"Then lets plan on leaving at weeks end," Gregory said. "We can spend a few days in New York then leave for London."

"I'll send a telegram and let th family know about the change in plans."

David purchased a traveling kennel for Smoke as they traveled but he did realize the dog would most likely be on someones lap or bunk for the entire trip. But the kennel would be useful at times. The house was thrown into total chaos as preparations were made. Amanda and Stephanie would room together on the Pullman but not the steamer. Smoke would reside with them. As they would be exposed to colder weather in the Atlantic crossing more shopping was need and Emeleth and Amanda purchased a hooded red cape for cold weather wear.

The trip to New York was uneventful, but but the missed their planned start by two day. By the time they reached New York they had little time left to embark on the steamer.

Emeleth walked onto the gangplank, both she and Amanda were holding on to David's hand. The sheer size of the ship was awe inspiring. The enormous stacks of the steamier reached high into the sky dwarfing shore side buildings. Everything was built of iron and it was thick resonating with strength and durability. The ponderous gangplank alone seemed more solid then the pier from which it originated. The huge steam powered capstan with is heavy wheels and pinions connecting it to steam power and it's thick cables easily lifted the heaviest loads into the hold. The first officer stood on the deck dressed in his naval uniform directing as scores of roughly dressed seamen worked in some strange choreographed dance of preparations. Emeleth had butterflies in her stomach as they walked into the main salon. This would be the room they would attend all public activities. They would take meals hear, read, write and handle correspondence. The entire two thousand passengers would congregate here. It would be a place of social intercourse and would act as a sick room for those who were ill. David chose a group of seats at the row of tables to mark with cardboard placards as unofficial reservations for them.

Amanda was anxious to see the room she would share with Emeleth. David had told them the rooms were all first class. But the room she was shone made her face drop. The room was tiny, it had two bunks along the wall. One bunk above the other. The bunk was narrow but the mattress thick. The bunks had drawers under them. The room had a narrow settee along the opposite wall on the door side of the tiny room. The settee had a thinly padded seat and more storage under it. The room had a small sink and a mirror on the right side of the room as you walked in.

"This room is for you and Em," David said. " I will be rooming with Greg just two doors up. Pat and Steph next door, the maids to your left and Sean will have his own room down the hall, about five doors down."

"I thought we would be together," Emeleth whispered sounding disappointed as she looked at David.

"I'll help the steward with your luggage, then we can watch the ship get underway. If you need anything ask a stewardess they are were helpful and knowledgeable." Emeleth nodded. She wanted to cry as this entire experience was so overwhelming but Amanda seem happy and enthusiastic so she forced a smile and nodded. Numerous visitors and well wishers now left the ship as tearful good buys by friends and family were exchanged and the cry, "all ashore," was given

The last person to come aboard was the Capitan. He was dressed impeccably in his uniform. He walked exuding confidence and control. He was older than Emeleth expected and not much over five feet seven. It was his glorious whiskers that impressed Emeleth the most. He was clean shaved except for his long wide gray sideburns than extending several inches below his jaw. The seaman on board as well as a number shore side workers became active. The ponderous gangplank was moved by the steam capstan to the pier as if it weighed no more than a straw. The ship began to throb to the steady vibration of it's heart. The ship came alive. Bow and stern lines were thrown off and the steam whistle blasted. It was a deep and mournful sound Emeleth thought. The enormous propellers began to slowly turn. The stern of the ship became a whirling mass of water. Passengers gathered along the side waving handkerchiefs as the huge ship crept forward and off the dock. There was a loud crack as the departure cannon fired. As the the distance off shore increased the speed slowly built. Once free of the harbor the motion of the ship altered as they were subjected to the increasing swells of the Atlantic.

They little party stood and watched as New York City Harbor was slowly left behind. "If we are lucky," David said, "we'll see the coast of Newfoundland soon. Then it's nothing but ocean until Ireland and Liverpool. Amanda felt ill and her belly queasy. She had read stories of storms and floundering ships. She hand never even been in a rowboat. David seemed so confident and she silently wished she did too. Maybe she could convince him to share a bunk. Having him hold her would help diminish much of her seemingly irrational fear. Amanda loved the feeling of the wind in her face, the steady roll of the ship, she held her little black and white dog in her arms watching. Smoke just slept in her arms not a care in the world.

They met in th great salon with the chief steward for instruction with the rest of the first class passengers. "There is five meals per day served here in the main salon, breakfast, lunch, supper, tea and diner," the chief steward said. He pointed to a posted notice, "The meal times are posted there. The chalk board located there," he pointed again, "lists the daily run in nautical miles. Are their any questions?" Emeleth tentatively raised her hand and the steward pointed to her.

"If we are going to England why are we going north?"

"I'm surprised you caught that."

"I can see the sun," Emeleth said.

"You are correct in your observation. We are indeed going north and east. We will pass by Newfoundland. This is actually a shorter distance and cuts off about a thousand miles."

"Because of the earths curve?" Emeleth asked, the steward nodded. Another young woman traveling with her new husband asked about icebergs.

"It is rather late in the season for icebergs but a watch is kept around the clock."

Questions continued for a time then finished and it was time to assemble for supper. The passengers were seated according to class and the two maids that accompanied them and Sean were include with the party in first class. The maids were young, not much older than Stephanie and enthralled with the opportunity to travel in such style to England. Sean seemed bored with the entire circumstances. The young woman who asked about the icebergs was seated next to them. She spoke to Emeleth.

"I understand that you're a countess?"

"I'm a Viscountess. But I've lived my entire like in Abilene."

"How did you get your hair color. That color is the rage in London. I understand applying henna or iron oxide can do that."

"That's Em's natural color," Amanda said.

"Yes it the color of our old chestnut mare," Emeleth joked. The young woman they spoke to was newly married to a banker. They both appeared a pleasant couple.

"Is that a dog?" she asked as Smoke stuck his head of the bag to take a tidbit from Amanda. She and Emeleth had sewed a lined canvas sack to carry Smoke discreetly. The sack was constructed much like a news boys sack but was considerably smaller.

"This is Smoke," Amanda said, "we found her in Chicago just after the fire." The mention of the fire brought several other couples into the conversation. It was late at night when they finally settled down for the night. David walked Emeleth and Amanda to their cabin. "Sleep tight," Emeleth said.

"Don't let the bed bugs bite," David replied kissing her.

"I want the upper," Amanda said and they washed up and dressing in a simple short cotton night shirt that did not quite reach their knees by several inches. They went to bed with Smoke curling up by Amanda's feet on her bed. That night they steamed into a fog bank and the ship began sounding it's horn. This woke them. "It's just an old fog!" Amanda said easily resumed sleeping. Emeleth could not settle down. Her mind raced with numerous scenarios of calamity that she could not dismiss. Her stomach was writhing and she had a headache. So she left her bed and on tiptoe went to David's cabin. She tried the door and it opened. David obviously was not conserved about locking it. The room was quite dark and she could not tell which sleeping form was David and she had neglected to put on her glasses.

"Davey?" she whispered.

"Here, lower bunk." She inched her way to the bunk and turning back the blanket slipped in. She barely had enough room so David holding her tight flipped he across him and pinning her against the wall. "To what do I owe your presence Sweetheart."

"My stomach feels funny and my head hurts."

"Are you sea sick?"

"I don't think so. I'm feeling much better now with you holding me."

"I'm glad to be of service."

"Davey...I'm frightened."

"Of what, this is a modern ship and these crossings are rather routine."

"Not for me. Could I please please please stay with you?" she was holding tight to his night shirt both of her fists clutching the material just below the collar. The room was dark so he could not see the raw fear on her face but her voice bore witness to her mood.

"You can stay, and tomorrow we can rearrange things or nobody will get any sleep."

"I'm very comfy like this."

"Your feet are freezing."

"I was walking around barefoot." Emeleth bent her knees and slipped her cold feet between his thighs, "Now they are much warmer."

"So I'm you personal foot warmer."

"And my personal masseuse," she whispered, David laughed in response. "And I'm not afraid when you are holding me."

"Sleep Em. We will be fine. The Cunard Company has been managing these crossings for over thirty years without a hitch."

The next morning she was up first and decided to return unnoticed to her own cabin, She climbed over David not waking him. Then walking on tip toe slipped out of the room and encountered a pair of the stewardesses. Blushing bright red she said,"Morning," and nodded while smiling like a cheesy cat to the shocked women, Then she dashed to her room. Giggling with mischief she crawled into her bed.

After breakfast they rearranged the rooms. Stephanie moved in with Amanda and the dog and Gregory with Patricia. Everyone was pleased with the new arrangement, leaving the stewardesses to speculate as to the reason for Emeleth's late night bed hopping.

By the end of a few days they emerged from the warmer waters of the Gulf Stream into the colder waters of the North Atlantic and it's sunny sky and fresh winds. Emeleth spent most of the daylight hours with her group of companions on the promenade deck frequently wrapped in her red cape. They had dinner as the guests of the captain once. He was very interested having conversation with a Viscount and his lady. Several times they steamed by sailboats which David identified as schooners from the cod fleet. Emeleth chose the upper bunk as her own but more often than not slept in the lower with David. David never complained.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10 0 27
He gave me a feline smile as he stalked toward me. I backed away until my heels hit the stall wall and he took advantage of my surprise by stepping i...
65 0 24
︵‿︵‿୨♡୧‿︵‿︵ ~A different fairy tale~ _______ "It's either that or I kill all of you starting with you first." Catherine's eyes go wide. "3...
137K 6K 35
"Dance with me." While I knew it wasn't a demand, it wasn't a question either. I hesitated and he noticed. "Come on Grace, give this gentleman the...
756 83 40
Wren's life is about to change forever - but not how she expects it to. Kidnapped on her wedding day, she finds herself trapped in a mountain cave, u...