The Cowboy's Lady

بواسطة JerrySkell

A Cinderella tale from the old west Emeleth watched as the cowboy walked across the dance floor approaching h... المزيد

Chapter 1 The Cowboy
Chapter 2 The Lady
Chapter 3 First Encounter
Chapter 4 The Ulysses S. Grant Suite
Chapter 5 Egg Money
Chapter 6 Lady Incognitus
Chapter 7 Midsummer Dance
Chapter 8 Calico Beans
Chapter 9 London
Chapter 10 Sweeney
Chapter 11 Manda
Chapter 12 Pettibone Creek
Chapter 13 Manda Remembers
Chapter 14 Collecting on a debt
Chapter 15 Nurse Em
Chapter 16 Discovered
Chapter 17 Viscountess Em
Chapter 19 Shopping
Chapter 20 Firestorm
Chapter 21 Lost Dog
Chapter 22 Liverpool
Chapter 23 Devonshire House
Chapter 24 The Voucher
Chapter 25 Busks
Chapter 26 Cowboy Load
Chapter 27 Christmas Ball
Chapter 28 Confrontation
Chapter 29 St. Greer
Chapter 30 Across the Moors
Chapter 31 The Watchers
Chapter 32 Summer Solstice
Chapter 33 The Trap
Chapter 34 The Bog
Chapter 35 Pursuit
Chapter 36 The London Season

Chapter 18 Chicago

284 15 1
بواسطة JerrySkell

They sat together on the bed they shared and David presented Emeleth with wrapped package. "Happy birthday Sweetheart."

"What did you get me, Davey."

"Not much really. You have really given me so much more as I got you today. I hope you like it." Emeleth opened the package and then with a surprised look removed the object gingerly.

"You got me a gun!"

"It's a derringer. It fires two shots, the barrels are one over the other."

"It is a pretty little gun," she said looking dubious.."I like the decorative 'E' carved on the handle thingy."

"That's the hand grip and it's made of elk horn. I had the entire gun engraved so it looks pretty."

"With my history with guns you still trust me with guns? I might shoot you again. Did you think of that?"

"You have only used a gun to defend yourself or those you cared about. I want you to be safe. You have my solemn promise that you have my permission to shoot even me if I ever become abusive."

"I can shoot you," she said with a wicked smile teasing him. "I don't know what to say?"

"The gun is small enough to carry in your belt purse."

"My Chatelaines?"

"Or in a holster. I got one that straps to your ankle or thigh."

"My Chatelaines will work fine."

"Tomorrow I will start teaching you to shoot. The gun is perfect for short range."

"Can you teach Manda too?"

"Yes. And I will get her a derringer too if she so desires."

"This would have been handy. I like knowing that I can defend my self. I don't like guns but I hate being vulnerable even worse. I think Manda will feel the same."

The next afternoon all three of them returned to their picnic site on Pettibone Creek. They had lunch, wadded in the creek and after their feet dried began practicing gun safety and shooting. David had brought several tin cans and they shot at them at close range. They did pretty well handling the gun as they proved to be enthusiastic to learn. Their accuracy would take time.

"You both did well," David said.

"No we didn't," Emeleth said. "I missed half of the time."

"It's going to take time, we will practice more once we get home. What shall we do now?"

"I want a foot rub!" Manda said. Emeleth laughed at her sister.

"Yes! And you can kiss mine too while your at it!" Emeleth teased.

"What have I got myself into," David asked in mock surprise.

They worked together to rub Amanda's feet and David did kiss Emeleth's feet prior the rubbing them. The girls giggled a lot during the massage and seemed energetic and joyful as the rode back to the hotel. The next day they visited Sadie's Milliner and Dress Shop to get three dresses each for traveling, second pair of shoes, more hats and new night wear. David tried to talk them into silk night wear but they insisted on cotton. The shoes they chose were low cut and had little heel like a slipper. They had a single strap to hold them on. They made arrangements to have every thing delivered once the alterations were finished.

"Now we have some choices to make David said. We are going to spend a few days in Chicago. You'll love shopping there, but I want your input on where we'll stay. We could stay with a friend who would love to meet you both or at the Palmer. It's an historic hotel down town,"

"What would you prefer?" Emeleth asked.

"It's your honeymoon, Sweetheart, I want you to choose."

"I would like to meet your friends," Emeleth said, "and perhaps they will let me do some cooking. I miss cooking."

"Friends it is then."

They purchased luggage for the girls and the night before the they were to leave they had everything packed and their traveling clothes laid out in their room. Amanda and Emeleth had spent so much time saying good by that they had retired late exhausted. David was looking forward to a long soak in the tub. He had Sean fill the tub while had shaved as he planed on not shaving in the morning. He had a copy of the local paper to read while he soaked and while sitting in the tub with the paper he dozed off. Emeleth had plans to surprise David so while he soaked she left the bed and simply discarding her robe and nightgown tiptoed to the washroom. Noiselessly she crept to the tub. David noticed her as she entered the water. She was smiling with mischief and David shifted to allow her to settle in facing him. "Hi Davey," she cooed.

"Fancy meeting you here. Have we been properly introduced?" David asked. She reached out with her foot and began caressing his chest. "I enjoy finding strange women in my tub."

"I think you are confused sir, this is my tub. I recall using it recently with my sister." She moved her foot higher and caressed his cheek and David seized her foot first to kiss it and then to tickle it. Emeleth squirmed and giggled and splashed water on the floor. "Hush," David said, "you'll wake Mandy."

"You're the one tickling me Buster!"

"It's David or did you forget already?"

"David...David who?"

"David your husband."

"I didn't recognize you, I'm not wearing my glasses."

"Would you like me to wash your funny little feet?"

"Please and scrub my back too," she replied gesturing with her hands.

"I didn't know you could be so bossy."

"I'll scrub you too if you're nice, Davey."

"I've been dreaming of having you naked and in my tub," David said.

"You should have told me, I may have surprised you earlier."

"You are so naughty Em."

"You have no idea how naughty I plan to be." David was surprised Emeleth somehow managed to talk so naughty while still sounding prim and proper and even smile piously as she spoke. She was 'some special woman' he mused, and she was HIS lady.

The next morning they were all up early. Sean had gone to the rail station and obtained a wheeled cart for their luggage. David had purchased a large carpet bag for each of the girls for their clothing and they each also had a large hat box. Sean was busy loading the luggage while Emeleth and Amanda finished dressing. Both were wearing their new traveling dresses. Emeleth in dark blue and Amanda dark green. The outfit started with a high color at the neck and ended at the ankles. The bodice was white and long sleeves with a short jacket that that was pleated in the back and ended just below the waist the same color as the skirt. The back of the skirt had thick pleats and they were wearing wide brimmed black hats decorated with flowers.

Amanda was looking at her reflection in the mirror and Emeleth was standing behind her on tiptoe looking over her shoulder into the mirror. "Do you think I'm going to get any taller?" Amanda asked.

"You're as tall as you ever be."

"Will my curves get rounder?"

"You will fill out nicely, Mandy."

"You have nice curves. Em," Amanda said,

"I agree with you there," David said. He patted Emeleth's bottom fondly, "Really nice curves." Emeleth turned to smile at him then stuck out her tongue and slapped his hand. "OW!" David said pouting, "If you two are done primping we need to get a move on."

"I've never been on a train," Emeleth said.

"Come, our adventure begins."

They found two facing upholstered bench seats and the girls asked for the window seats. They settled in and talked quietly.

"The trip from Chicago to New York will be in a private car. I could not arrange one soon enough for this trip."

"How did you arrange that?" Emeleth asked.

"I borrowed it from a banker friend. He was delighted to lone me one of his."

"One of his?"

"He's quite rich, we'll be staying with him in Chicago."

"Just how rich are you?" Amanda asked curiously.

"Manda!" Emeleth said, "that's not something you ask."

"I'm as rich as Crassus," David said.

"That Roman guy?" Amanda asked.

"Ah, my little country bumpkin knows her history."

"We are sophisticated and educated country bumpkins," Emeleth teased. "Besides we can read."

"These are such soft chairs," Amanda said. "How long will this take us?"

"We should be there tomorrow afternoon," David said.

"Where will we sleep?" Emeleth asked.

"This is a Pullman," David said," there is a bunk above you that pulls down. You girls can sleep up there."

"What's in the basket by your feet?" Emeleth said lifting baskets cover to peek in.

"I brought some sandwiches and fruit," David said, "There is a dining car but it will be crowded and has very limited fare. Your aunt supplied the basket on my request."

The train pulled out of the train yard.

"Look I can see the cattle yards. I never knew they were so large," Amanda said pointing.

"We walked to the yards before," Emeleth said, "but they do appear endless as we are moving threw them."

By the time they had cleared Abilene both young women had their shoes off and their legs folded to their side as they sat looking out the window. "Don't you two ever wear socks?" David asked.

"Sometimes," Amanda said still looking out the window.

"I don't wear something else!" Emeleth teased whispering in David's ear then giving him her brightest 'you got to love me' smile. David was speechless. They made multiple short stops along the way and the girls replaced their shoes to walk around the train. They did visit the diner car. As darkness fell porters lit the lamps and began pulling down the overhead bunks. A wooden panel slid out to enclose the bunks on the sides with curtains covering the front. David could hear the girls talking and giggling as they settled down for sleep in the upper bunk. "I'm going to sleep totally in my birthday suit," he could hear Emeleth whisper to Amanda.

"You are not, Em."

"Want to bet?"

"No, people could be listening," Amanda whispered.

"Just teasing but I did want Davey to overhear."

"I heard you Em, as did half the train." She stuck her head out of the curtains and saw David standing in the isle. She gave David a wicked smile and stuck out her tongue. "Were you peeking?"

"No, but I might."

"Nobody could hear, I was whispering," she said primly.

"Sleep tight sweetheart," David said softly. They actually slept little. Amanda and Emeleth were far to excited to sleep and David could hear them whispering late into the night.

"What do they find to talk about?" Sean said softly,

"Girl talk," Emeleth said, "we heard you."

When they finally pulled into the train station both young women looked disheveled and travel weary. They were surprised to see a sigh with 'Viscount St. Greer' held up by a well dressed man. They directed the porters to convey their luggage to the waiting carriage and climbed in. Their baggage was loaded into a following lorry and their adventure in Chicago began.

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

121 1 1
Historical Romance From the moment she laid eyes on him, Rue thought Hawke Masters the most insufferable man she'd ever met. Proud, arrogant, overbea...
73.4K 2.3K 78
"plzz Eric don't do this to him. He is innocent." I begged. "So..." He asked annoyed. "Didn't I tell you to stay away from him? Now bear the conseque...
35.7K 1.4K 33
"The countdown is starting," he says standing up and pulling me up with him. "So this is it huh?" He smiles. "Yep, it-" "Girl I have been looking abs...
5.5M 139K 39
She - Innocent, shy, clumsy, naïve 19 year old beautiful girl who's trying to face the challenges life is throwing at her. With no parents besides he...