The Cowboy's Lady

By JerrySkell

A Cinderella tale from the old west Emeleth watched as the cowboy walked across the dance floor approaching h... More

Chapter 1 The Cowboy
Chapter 2 The Lady
Chapter 3 First Encounter
Chapter 4 The Ulysses S. Grant Suite
Chapter 5 Egg Money
Chapter 6 Lady Incognitus
Chapter 7 Midsummer Dance
Chapter 8 Calico Beans
Chapter 9 London
Chapter 10 Sweeney
Chapter 11 Manda
Chapter 13 Manda Remembers
Chapter 14 Collecting on a debt
Chapter 15 Nurse Em
Chapter 16 Discovered
Chapter 17 Viscountess Em
Chapter 18 Chicago
Chapter 19 Shopping
Chapter 20 Firestorm
Chapter 21 Lost Dog
Chapter 22 Liverpool
Chapter 23 Devonshire House
Chapter 24 The Voucher
Chapter 25 Busks
Chapter 26 Cowboy Load
Chapter 27 Christmas Ball
Chapter 28 Confrontation
Chapter 29 St. Greer
Chapter 30 Across the Moors
Chapter 31 The Watchers
Chapter 32 Summer Solstice
Chapter 33 The Trap
Chapter 34 The Bog
Chapter 35 Pursuit
Chapter 36 The London Season

Chapter 12 Pettibone Creek

259 18 1
By JerrySkell

"Where did you manage to get the buggy," Emeleth asked as David helped her and Amanda into the buggy.

"I rented it, What's in the basket it smells delicious," David said.

"You'll have to wait Davey. It's a surprise."

"Any hints?" David asked.

"Should we just tell him, Mandy?" Emeleth asked she had a wicked smile.

"It's fried skunk bottom," Amanda said and laughed.

"And possum belly pie," Emeleth added, "and fermented gopher juice."

"Sounds yummy," David replied.

"Where are you taking us anyway?" Emeleth asked.

"There is the very nice place near a creek. It has some willow trees and it's far enough out of town to give us some privacy," David said while thinking and it's open enough so no one could sneak up on us.

"You're taking us to the pond on Pettibone Creek," Emeleth said.

"You know the place?"

"Ma would take us there. Manda do you remember swimming in the creek?"

"If you want to swim I'll hold your dresses," David teased. "I promise not to peek to much, at least not enough to get caught."

"I bet you would," Emeleth teased him back.

"I don't remember anything Em," Amanda said, "my earliest memory is the day you fell."

"Maybe today will bring back happy memories," David said. "You both look so pretty today, new dresses?"

"No these are old ones. We usually save them for Sundays."

"Em did take hers in." Amanda said, "so it fits her better."

"Well it's good to be out on such a nice day with two beautiful young women."

"How did you learn about this spot?" Emeleth said.

"Your brother's told me."

"You talked to them?"

"We have played pool a couple of times. I talk to them regularly."

"I didn't know that."

"Yup, they told me about some of your tom boy stunts when you were younger. You were a real hoyden."

"I was not, I've always been a perfect lady," Emeleth said primly.

"Now who's telling tales?" Amanda said and laughed. "We used to get into all kinds of trouble. I'm remembering some stuff now."

"Some stuff that I'll never live down now that you remember," Emeleth teased.

"Yea, I can get rich blackmailing you," Amanda said with a devilish smile.

"This is the place!" Emeleth said happily. David slowed the buggy to a stop and stepped down. Then after securing the horse assisted the sisters down. "The trees are bigger but the creek smaller. Do you remember this place Mandy?"

"A little I think." Amanda looked about unsure.

"This is private property. Did you get permission to come here?" Emeleth asked.

"I talked to Old Man Canfield," David said.

"How did you meet him?"

"Your brothers introduced us and I asked permission."

"I'm surprised, he's not very friendly," Amanda interjected.

"When I told him I wanted to take you both here for a picnic he agreed. He had a lot to say about you, Em."

"Now I'm curious," Emeleth said frowning slightly.

"He is very grateful for your kindness to his wife. Said you're as close to an angel as humanly possible."

"His wife was dying of breast cancer. I was asked by Phoebe to visit and I spent a lot of time nursing her. She was in a lot of pain and had a huge nasty smelling abscess. I just did what anyone would do to comfort her."

"No Em, you gave much more than anyone did. You always do."

"Manda helped!"

"Canfield told me as much,"

"What else did he say?"

"Let me quote him, 'you'd be a fool not to marry that girl!'"

"He did not!" Emeleth looked surprised but was smiling.

"Yes he did. I'm starving let's see what you brought."

"OK, spread the blanket here and I'll set up."

Amanda was standing at the pond watching Emeleth. She was hugging herself and Emeleth noticed a few tears on her cheek. She approached and added her hug. "What's up Mandy?"

"When I saw you standing by the willow in the sun you looked so much like Mom, I'm remembering, Em."

"You look like Mom, not me."

"No you do too. Mom was taller like me but her hair color was closer to yours and besides we're sisters and look a lot alike."

"Well, it's I good thing I brought you here then," David said as he spread the blanket under the tree. Emeleth busied herself setting up the picnic then taking off her shoes sat on the blanket with her legs folded next to her. She patted the ground next to her.

"Sit next to me Davey," and he did, "This is city chicken, we also made bread rolls, a bean dish and ginger beer."

"I love Em's ginger beer," Amanda said, "It's sweet and gingery, and bubbly. It tickles my nose."

"I bottled it about three weeks ago, so it should be about right."

"Were did you get the grapes?" David asked.

"I have a vine in my garden. I'll should show you my garden. I love gardening."

"This city chicken is really good," David said.

"I left a bunch of it for the twins and Pa." They ate quietly talking.

"You're wearing shoes today."

"Thought I would break them in," Emeleth said.

"What's this?" David said pointing to a covered bowl.

"That's custard." Amanda said, "we made that last night."

"This had been a fantastic," David said as they finished.

"I'm going to wade in the pond," Emeleth said then walked to the pond and holding up her skirt waded in. Amanda joined her laughing.

"Join us Davey!" Emeleth said.

"I'll watch. You said you would swim in this pond when you were a child."

"It's mid September and we have had a drought so the creek is low but it is usually quite deep in the spring. Come in Davey, please." So David removed his boots and socks, rolled up his pants and stepped into the water. "Isn't that refreshing."

"There's a gazillion tiny fish!" David said.

"Minnows," Amanda replied.

"They're tickling my feet!" David noted. They waded in the water for a time and he was the first to quit the pond and his feet were dry and covered by socks and boots by the time Emeleth joined him. "How's your shoe breaking in working?"

"Not well my feet hurt," Emeleth said pouting.

"I'll rub them for you, I'm quite good at it."

"You rub strange women's feet?" she asked coyly.

"No, but I would like to rub yours."

"Go ahead Davey," Emeleth said and giggled, her face was red as she watched him. He took her foot into his hand. "Please don't tickle me."

"Aw! You read my mind." Then he kissed the sole of her foot and began to massage it. He felt her relax as he rubbed her foot.

"You are really good."

"Of course I am!"

"You're also conceited!"

"I'm just a humble cowboy." He massaged he foot for several minutes then put her foot down gently and reached for the other.

"Gonna kiss that one too?" she teased, and he did and began to massage it. "I might have to keep you cowboy."

"All part of sinister plot to entrap beautiful women, rub their feet."

"You're impossible. You know that?"

"But you like me, don't you?" Emeleth was smiling and contemplating an answer when Amanda walked to the blanket.

"Foot rubs! I want one too!" Amanda said.

"You get her right foot and I'll get the left Davey." Amanda sat on the blanket and smiled as David and her sister began to rub her feet. Amanda closed her eyes and smiled. They rubbed her feet for several minutes. Emeleth smiled at David and mouthed "Tickle," and David nodded.

"Ma used to rub my feet," Amanda said happily. "I remember her rubbing them right under this very tree. You used to help. I loved getting my feet rubbed."

"I'm happy you are remembering, Mandy. Now do you remember this!" Emeleth and David began to tickle her feet as Amanda squealed and laughed. She kicked and wiggled trying to escape. Emeleth did not tickle her for long but Amanda was curled up tight in a ball and still laughing when they finished. They sat under the tree talking while feet dried then cleaned up after the picnic. The girls put back on their shoes and they rode back to town. It was already getting dark as they pulled up at Emeleth's home and David walked them to the door.

"Thank you David. I had a wonderful time today," Emeleth said then standing on tip toe kissed him. David wrapped her in his arms and kissed her back. He gently caressed her face with one hand and she broke the kiss.

"Tomorrow's linen change and laundry day at the hotel," she whispered.

"I know, could we just sit awhile on the porch and talk?" and they held hands and watched the sun set from the porch. David returned the rented buggy and horse and returned to his hotel. Sean was there and handed him a letter.

"This came for you." David opened it and read.

"It's from Jenna, She accepted my offer to stay in my home, I think she will be excellent company for Em and she tells me her girls are close to Manda's age. Now it only remains to convince Em."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6 0 39
"Courtney?" Courtney looked at the man beside her in the car. "When We arrive at the house, we will eat then go to the courts" "yes Garrett" "we will...
121 1 1
Historical Romance From the moment she laid eyes on him, Rue thought Hawke Masters the most insufferable man she'd ever met. Proud, arrogant, overbea...
786 42 24
I shifted uncomfortably in my seat as he stared across the table at me. I could seriously drown in his eyes. He was intoxicatingly attractive and he...
10 0 27
He gave me a feline smile as he stalked toward me. I backed away until my heels hit the stall wall and he took advantage of my surprise by stepping i...