The Cowboy's Lady

By JerrySkell

A Cinderella tale from the old west Emeleth watched as the cowboy walked across the dance floor approaching h... More

Chapter 1 The Cowboy
Chapter 2 The Lady
Chapter 3 First Encounter
Chapter 4 The Ulysses S. Grant Suite
Chapter 5 Egg Money
Chapter 6 Lady Incognitus
Chapter 7 Midsummer Dance
Chapter 9 London
Chapter 10 Sweeney
Chapter 11 Manda
Chapter 12 Pettibone Creek
Chapter 13 Manda Remembers
Chapter 14 Collecting on a debt
Chapter 15 Nurse Em
Chapter 16 Discovered
Chapter 17 Viscountess Em
Chapter 18 Chicago
Chapter 19 Shopping
Chapter 20 Firestorm
Chapter 21 Lost Dog
Chapter 22 Liverpool
Chapter 23 Devonshire House
Chapter 24 The Voucher
Chapter 25 Busks
Chapter 26 Cowboy Load
Chapter 27 Christmas Ball
Chapter 28 Confrontation
Chapter 29 St. Greer
Chapter 30 Across the Moors
Chapter 31 The Watchers
Chapter 32 Summer Solstice
Chapter 33 The Trap
Chapter 34 The Bog
Chapter 35 Pursuit
Chapter 36 The London Season

Chapter 8 Calico Beans

338 18 2
By JerrySkell

Emeleth carried a large covered pot and Amanda a pie as they walked into the hotel kitchen after crossing the dining room. David had seen her enter the dining room and came to assist. "What's all this for?" he asked

"It's the fourth Sunday so we break the fast with a community meal." Her Aunt Jane walked into the kitchen.

"I see you made calico beans," Jane said, "and apple pie for the break fast."

"Phoebe suggested it and we started cooking last night," Emeleth said. "Can we leave it here until the service." Jane nodded.

"Last night?" David asked.

"It needs to simmer that long to bring out the flavors."

"Did you eat breakfast?" David asked.

"We fed Pa and the boys but we're fasting," Amanda said.

"We have plenty of time to change," Emeleth said, "so could we use your tub again?"

"Be my guest, Sean is out on an errand for me." Emeleth and Amanda smiled brightly and walked to David's suite.

"David, may I speak to you for a bit?" Jane asked.

"I'll currently displaced from my room, so yes."

"I saw you and Em dancing last night. I need to thank you for your encouragement of her to dress better and especially to dance. It's been such a long time for her. She used to love to dance. Even Manda is standing taller and not stooping."

"I really like Emeleth."

"I really don't want to see her heart broken, David."

"I wouldn't either. I'm guessing but you're asking me my intentions?"

"Yes I am."

"I told Em I intend to court her and marry her."

"What did she say?" Jane looked surprised.

"She told me she has no intention of ever marring but did say I could court her."

"I can understand her reluctance to marry with only her father as the role model. When she broke her leg she was told she would never walk again. But that didn't stop her one bit. She asked me and Amanda to help her. We struggled for an entire winter. I could she she was hurting but she persisted."

"She's a strong willed woman," David said, "A remarkably strong willed lady."

"Some would say mule stubborn," Jane replied. She then looked into David's eyes with a determined look, "We love her and don't want to see her hurt."

"I understand, I love her too."

"One more question, you know you'll getting her younger sister if she agrees to marry you. Can a cowboy support an instant family?"

"I realize they are a package deal. I have recently inherited some income properties back home, so yes, I can support them."

David waited at his door until Emeleth opened the door for him. Both young women had put their hair up again and were wearing their new dresses. "I think we can wear them home today. The whole town will have seen us by now and Pa will just have to adjust."

"Your not wearing shoes."

"It rained last night and I don't want to get my new shoes wet and muddy."

"Your feet will get wet and muddy, Em."

"I'll just have to wash them again."

"Is Sean coming to church?" Amanda asked.

"You can ask him, he should be back before we leave."

"All the ladies are bringing something to eat." Emeleth said. "My Aunt Jane usually brings chili."

"If there's free food, Sean might come."

Later they walked over to the church. Sean was with them and carrying the apple pie. David carried the pot of beans. The sun was out and only a few puddles remained but Emeleth and Amanda were still barefoot. Pastor Brown greeted each member as they walked through the door. He remembered David's name from the dance last night and shook Sean's hand with both of his.

"I hope you don't mind an Irish Catholic attending you service," Sean said with a big grin.

"You're more than welcome, my own mother was an Irish Catholic until she met my dad, and please stay for the break fast." Sean nodded. Phoebe was also a the door greeting and directing the placement of the food. After the service the men set up tables and chairs and the food was brought out. Plates and eating utensils were also placed on the tables then after Pastor Brown said the invocation families began to serve themselves. Before David could locate Emeleth in the crowd Pastor Brown found him. "Could I have a minute of your time, David."

"Yes Pastor Brown."

"Em seems really taken with you."

"I do enjoy her company."

"She is loved by our entire community and well respected. She has been an excellent nurse to the sick and the children love her singing and story telling. She is a kind and loving young woman."

"I love her too."

"I would hate to see her hurt..."

"You're inquiring as to my intentions?"

"Yes. I hate to be so obvious."

"I believe in being direct. I hope to marry her."

"Phoebe and I would love to see her happy and with someone who really cares about her, she deserves some happiness."

"I want to spend my life with her. To do all I can to bring her happiness." Pastor Brown smiled and shook his hand.

"Phoebe and I will pray for you." Then David finally saw Em walking toward him. She spoke briefly to Amanda who was smiling and scampered off with a group of teens, all of them barefoot.

"Let's you and I sit together," Emeleth said, "Amanda will be sitting with her girlfriends and cousins."

"I would really like some alone time with you." David took her hand and they walked to a table.

"Let's eat first, we can walk in the cemetery afterward while the clean up is taking place. They won't miss me this one time."

They walked together through the little cemetery holding hands. Emeleth paused at a grave site, "My Mom is here. And my little brother Peter. He was not yet two when he passed."

"I head about your Mother."

"She fell you know. She fell from the hay loft and broke her neck." Emeleth looked from her mothers grave to David's face. She remained speechless for several long seconds.

"I'm am sorry Em, sorry for your loss."

"It was a long time ago, I was sixteen, Manda's age." Emeleth wiped a tear from her cheek.

"How did you get injured?" David was holding both of her hands now as they stood face to face.

"I fell off the hay loft too...jumped actually and landed on the hay cart." Again she had a few tears fall from her eyes, "Mandy found me hours later." Emeleth broke face contact and stared at the ground, "She stayed with me and held me while the twins ran to bring the doctor. She refused to leave my side even when I was confined to bed. I've been told my bone was sticking out of my thigh, I don't remember that." David gently took hold of her chin lifting it until they made eye contact. He wiped the tears from her cheeks and said nothing holding her silently.

"Why did you jump?" he whispered.

"Pa called me into the loft," Emeleth voice was shaking as she whispered her voice cracking. " I had just turned eighteen and loved to dress up, to put my hair up and wear makeup...I loved being a girl. I thought I was pretty." Emeleth paused closed her eyes fighting back tears then continued. "Pa said it was time I started taking over more of Ma's jobs. At first I had no idea what he meant. But he scared me the way he was looking at me, and he was drunk. He would often beat me when he was drunk. He beat Mom too. He started touching...he...he...touched me places... he... was lifting my skirt." Emeleth was sobbing. David let go of her chin then wrapped her in his arms hold her tight.

"Go on sweetheart."

"I shoved him away. I grabbed his gun and pointed it at him. He laughed at me. I was in a panic...I closed my eyes...I pulled the trigger. The gun went off and I ran and jumped." David said nothing and simply held her. Her body was racked with tremors until she finally regained control. David kissed the crown of her head and with his thumbs wiped away the tears from her cheeks as he cradled her face in his hands tilting her head to look into her eyes.

"Well you overcame it Em. You are one resilient lady. In spite of the doctors you walked. You have protected Amanda. And last night you danced."

"I need to thank you for that."

"You weren't very pleased with me last night," he teased.

"Yes I was!"

"No you were quite angry. Your face was white as a sheet, your lips thin and tight and your beautiful blue eyes icy. I could of sworn you hated me." Emeleth laughed in response and blushed. She directed her eyes shyly toward her feet.

"At that point I did. I thought I hid my feeling quite well. I wanted you call you a pompous, know it all, self centered, mangy cur, and kick you among other things I won't mention." Now David laughed and she laughed with him and looked into his face.

"I do tend to get pompous. But I wanted you to enjoy yourself, even if you hated me." He grinned, " And I thought you would forgive me again because I'm so like-able." Emeleth looked at him surprised then smiled.

"You ARE a pompous ass, you are arrogant, you are..."

"Lovable?" David said softly. Emeleth laughed in response.

"Not answering that one, it will go to your head."

"What are we doing Monday?"

"Amanda and I usually visit the library in the afternoon, why?"

"May I tag along?"

"Can I stop you?"

"Do you want to?"

"No, lets get back so we can put away the tables and chairs and before Manda misses us. I didn't know cowboys could read."

"Oh. I'm just full of surprises. Do they, per chance, have dime novels?" Emeleth laughed at him and took his hand.

"That I don't know. We'll just have to see."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

786 42 24
I shifted uncomfortably in my seat as he stared across the table at me. I could seriously drown in his eyes. He was intoxicatingly attractive and he...
179 17 10
"I Thought this would be a memorable day, having gathered confidence and courage to give this day my all, I scoff at how ironic I visualise this day...
5.5M 139K 39
She - Innocent, shy, clumsy, naΓ―ve 19 year old beautiful girl who's trying to face the challenges life is throwing at her. With no parents besides he...
599K 22.8K 54
*π‘©π’π’π’Œ 𝑢𝒏𝒆 π’Šπ’ 𝑻𝒉𝒆 π‘ͺπ’π’–π’“π’•π’Šπ’π’ˆ π’”π’†π’“π’Šπ’†π’”* π‘ͺπ’π’Žπ’‘π’π’†π’•π’†π’…-π‘©π’†π’Šπ’π’ˆ π‘¬π’…π’Šπ’•π’†π’… I felt his warm breath as it caressed my ear...