The Cowboy's Lady

By JerrySkell

A Cinderella tale from the old west Emeleth watched as the cowboy walked across the dance floor approaching h... More

Chapter 1 The Cowboy
Chapter 2 The Lady
Chapter 3 First Encounter
Chapter 4 The Ulysses S. Grant Suite
Chapter 6 Lady Incognitus
Chapter 7 Midsummer Dance
Chapter 8 Calico Beans
Chapter 9 London
Chapter 10 Sweeney
Chapter 11 Manda
Chapter 12 Pettibone Creek
Chapter 13 Manda Remembers
Chapter 14 Collecting on a debt
Chapter 15 Nurse Em
Chapter 16 Discovered
Chapter 17 Viscountess Em
Chapter 18 Chicago
Chapter 19 Shopping
Chapter 20 Firestorm
Chapter 21 Lost Dog
Chapter 22 Liverpool
Chapter 23 Devonshire House
Chapter 24 The Voucher
Chapter 25 Busks
Chapter 26 Cowboy Load
Chapter 27 Christmas Ball
Chapter 28 Confrontation
Chapter 29 St. Greer
Chapter 30 Across the Moors
Chapter 31 The Watchers
Chapter 32 Summer Solstice
Chapter 33 The Trap
Chapter 34 The Bog
Chapter 35 Pursuit
Chapter 36 The London Season

Chapter 5 Egg Money

382 22 0
By JerrySkell

Emeleth was in odd mood. She felt strangely happy, almost giddy. She slipped out of bed being careful not to wake Amanda and dressed quickly. She brushed out her hair and, on a whim, left it uncovered in a long loose pony tail. She thought she would alter their routine and took care of the livestock first, milked the cow, and then started breakfast before waking her sleeping sister.

"Em, you shouldn't have let me sleep in so long," Amanda said yawning.

"You worked hard yesterday lil' sis, so just this once I let you sleep. You can help me with breakfast. I hear the men stirring."

"Lil' sis! Heck I'm taller!"

"You'll always be my little sister Manda." Emeleth hugger her.

"You did raise me."

"I think I've done a pretty good job of it."

"You don't really know, I might yet turn out to be bad." Emeleth laughed at her statement.

"Naw, that's ..." their teasing was interrupted by William as he walked in to the kitchen. His hair was dirty and tussled, his face had five days beard growth and he was wearing his dirty trousers. His eyes were red and puffy; his lashes crusted with dried matter. It looked like he had slept in his clothes. His braces were hanging down and he was not wearing a shirt.

"Stop your foolish jabbering, I got me a damn headache!"

"Morning Pa," they said in unison.

"What are you two so damn chipper about? What's cooking?"

"We got fresh eggs, bacon and hot cakes." Jake and Fred wandered in and took their seats.

"I went over the work you did and the jobs you posted on the board," Emeleth said," "I organized everything and made out the bills. Everything is in its usual place."

"Where were you two last night? Freddy saw you come in late." William asked.

"We worked late in the kitchen; the hotel was really busy with the cattle drive coming in."

"I saw you two with some cowboys coming in real late," Freddy said, "you two ain't whore'n around are ya?" Amanda gasped. Emeleth face reddened and she pursed her lips tight and thought of answering with the heavy iron skillet."

"No one's that hard up enough to take to ugly little Em," William said and the three men laughed. Emeleth held her tongue as she served breakfast. She was proud that the food ended up on plates and not laps. Amanda was silent and kept her focus on her plate. Emeleth noticed that she ate very little. Amanda continued her silence as the men left for chores, and through the cleanup, and bread baking. Emeleth saw a few tears sliding down Amanda's cheek. She approached her quietly and hugged her tight and Amanda gave into her sobs. "It's OK Mandy," Emeleth said as she handed her sister a handkerchief she pulled from her apron pocket. She continued to hug her and kissed the crown of her head.

"Why are they always so mean?" Amanda asked. "They are really mean to you! They scare me, I'm not strong and brave like you. What will happen when they finally notice me?"

"I'll protect you Mandy. I won't let them hurt you. They're all lucky they didn't get breakfast dumped on their heads."

"I would so have loved to see that." The tears had given way to smiles at Em's suggestion of serving them breakfast not on the plate.

"Don't give them a thought. I got plans for us."

"Yea chores," Amanda said with a little laugh.

"No, it's time we spend the tip and egg money. The chores are done."

"How much can we spend?"

"Enough for your new dress and shoes."

"You too Em, you need a new pretty dress too. My shoes can wait."

They walked into Sadie's Milliner and Dress Shop on Main Street. The bell chimed as they entered and Sadie greeted them. "Miss Em and Miss Mandy, wish shopping again," she said in a friendly tone.

"No, today we are buying," Emeleth said.

"How much are you willing to spend?" Emeleth named a sum and Sadie surprised by the amount said, "That much!"

"We've been saving our egg money for almost two years!" Amanda said with pride. They looked at color sketches of dresses. Then once in the back room stood on stools dressed only in their shift and corset as measurements were taken.

"The dresses seem really narrow from the front," Emeleth noted.

"Yes,the style is for the dress to flair less and to be flat across the front. Bustles are still in style but less so.

"I like bustles," Emeleth said, "I can't see me with one."

"The dress will be heavily pleated in the back so you really don't need one. With your narrow waist and nice round hips you'll look fantastic. I suggest ones with the short bodice. It will highlight your shape. You are both so pretty."

"See Em, I told you you're pretty." Amanda said, Emeleth smiled her.

"I suggest an under dress a darker or lighter complementing color. The style now is to pin up the over dress on either side to show off the underdress."

"I don't know... but I like that one," Emeleth said pointing.

"I would suggest sky blue with white, and a darker blue for the underdress. It has lots of lace on the back and the sleeves and for the under dress you'll want flounces. On second thought no flounces. Blue will enhance you eye color." Emeleth nodded. "As for you Manda, you chose well too, I suggest green to match your eyes."

"Could we have them by Saturday?" Emeleth asked.

"I happen to have both is stock so give me a minute and you can try them on and I can pin them up." Emeleth stood before the full length mirror and watched as Sadie pined her dress up. Then she turned fully around looking at her reflection. "You have enough for a hat to match and compliment those dresses and you can have them tomorrow. You can wear them home. I take it you're going to the church dance. Will you be wanting shoes too."

"Not this time thank you," Emeleth said.

*******

David had been up early Friday and picked up telegram from his father before walking back to hotel for lunch. Sean joined him in the dining room. They ordered coffee and the lunch special. "You seem real distracted lately, Major." Sean said.

"What do you mean?"

"You never noticed you're being tailed." Sean sipped his coffee and put the cup down.

"By you I take it."

"That Englishman, man are you dense. There are two of them."

"What do you know of him?"

"Keeps to himself mostly. The other cowboys call him English but his name is Sweeney I think. I didn't get his partners name. Richard I think."

"Nobody calls me English!"

"You don't sound English."

"Oh! You mean I don't sound cockney."

"He met several times with the girl's father. Been loosing at cards to him too."

"That will keep William happy."

"You going to read your telegram?"

"Just to keep you from pestering me." David opened the sealed envelope and read quietly. "My brother was killed in an accident. I'm the new Viscount and heir of the Marquess DeMeer."

"What does that mean?"

"I got a new name and title, Viscount David Michael Xavier Evans St Greer, Viscount St. Greer."

"That's a mouthful."

"My father also wants me home, married and producing male offspring to continue the name."

"I take it your brother failed."

"He has twin daughters; I don't know their ages."

"So what are your plans?"

"I'm staying put for now. Do you think we will run into Miss Em if we walk around town?"

"Will you father approve of Miss Em?"

"I do and that's more than enough."

"What shall I call you now, my lord?"

"Major. That easy for you as it's a habit. You can drop the 'my lord'. As for this Viscount thing, make no mention of it."

"Are you going to tell the girl?"

"Eventually...I don't want to scare her off, so for now I'm cowboy David, just a humble old cowboy."

"Humble! You're delusional, Major."

"I didn't see her at all yesterday. I can't think straight until I see her pretty face at least every day."

"I'd shoot you to put you out of misery, but I like getting paid."

"Have you ever been in love Sean?"

"Yes, then I married them."

"Them?"

"I got two wives, one in Ireland and one in London. That's were all my money goes."

"You've been a busy man. Let's go walking. I'm hopeful today." David paid for the meals and put on his jacket and hat and stepped onto the boardwalk.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

404K 15.7K 37
**COMPLETED** ~ * ~ * ~ "Just. Leave. Me. Alone!" I ordered pushing him away but he didn't seem to budged. Instead of backing off, he only moved clos...
778K 18.3K 17
"How dare you!!" His stare and cold voice made me step back with fear scared of what he will do "You clumsy woman!! Keep those disgusting hands of yo...
593K 22.6K 54
*π‘©π’π’π’Œ 𝑢𝒏𝒆 π’Šπ’ 𝑻𝒉𝒆 π‘ͺπ’π’–π’“π’•π’Šπ’π’ˆ π’”π’†π’“π’Šπ’†π’”* π‘ͺπ’π’Žπ’‘π’π’†π’•π’†π’…-π‘©π’†π’Šπ’π’ˆ π‘¬π’…π’Šπ’•π’†π’… I felt his warm breath as it caressed my ear...
6 0 39
"Courtney?" Courtney looked at the man beside her in the car. "When We arrive at the house, we will eat then go to the courts" "yes Garrett" "we will...