The Fellowship of the Ring (F...

By Kalumiko425

Frodo and Y/n became fast friends when Frodo came to live with Bilbo. They lived their normal hobbit lives fo... More

Author's Note-Important
Prologue
Chapter 1: Concerning Hobbits
Chapter 2: A Long Expected Party
Chapter 3: Shadows of the Past Return
Chapter 4: A Dire Discussion
Chapter 5: A New Journey Begins
Chapter 6: Friends, Danger, and Mushrooms
Chapter 8: Fear and Pain
Chapter 9: Race to Recovery and the Hidden Valley
Chapter 10: The Council of All
Chapter 11: The Journey of the Fellowship Begins
Chapter 12: Mines of Moria
Chapter 13: Falling Apart
Chapter 14: LothlΓ³rien
Chapter 15: Death and Separation

Chapter 7: Strider

2.4K 58 46
By Kalumiko425

Twenty miles down the river the Hobbits swiftly climbed off of the ferry and onto Brandywine Bridge.

"Everyone alright?" Frodo asked looking over his friends.

They all groaned in agreement as they tied the ferry to the dock. Walking off the bridge and onto the road, Frodo pulls Y/n aside.

"Are you alright?" Frodo asked her, putting both of his hands on her cheeks.

"I'm alright Frodo. A little cold but I'll be ok once we get to Bree." Y/n smiled through chattering teeth placing her hands on top of his.

Feeling her cold hands Frodo pulled her close afraid she might collapse if he didn't hold her close. Y/n was glad for the warmth of her friend but the heat radiating from her face did little to calm her nerves. After a short time Frodo released Y/n and took her hand to lead the rest of the group. Y/n briefly heard snickers from Merry and Pippin and a comforting chuckle from Sam before it started to downpour.

After a short time of walking through more woods, the Hobbits arrived just outside the gates of Bree, soaking wet due to the pouring rain. They pause, uncertain of how to declare themselves. Y/n huddled close to Frodo to stay warm still holding his hand.

"Come on." Frodo said quietly after quickly checking the road to make sure it was clear to cross.

The five hobbits quickly and quietly crossed the road and approach the very large wooden gates that closed Bree off from the road. Frodo raised his fist and knocked on the gates. A small peep hole opened high above all their heads then slammed suddenly shut. Another opened, nearer their eye level. An old face peered out against the downpour taking in the sight of the soaking wet hobbits.

"What do you want?" The Gatekeeper asked Frodo.

"We're heading for the Prancing Pony." Frodo almost yelled to be heard over the pouring rain.

The Gatekeeper opened the gate and thrusts his lantern in front of him to get a better look at the Hobbits.

"Hobbits!" The Gatekeeper exclaims, "Five hobbits! What business brings you to Bree?"

"We wish to stay at the inn. Our business is our own." Frodo said indicating to all his companions.

"All right young sir, I meant no offence. 'Tis my job to ask question after nightfall. There's talk of strange folk abroad. Can't be too careful." The Gatekeeper stated.

He stepped aside to let all of them in past the gate before closing and locking it behind them with a loud thud. The Hobbits make their way up the cobbled path, through the crowd which jostles and bumps them. To the Hobbits, a very large horse pulled cart passed in front of them and would have squashed Frodo had not Sam and Y/n pulled him back. One man, a particularly large oaf holding a carrot, belches contemptuously over them as they walk past.
Walking a little farther down the cobbled path, Frodo looks up and spots the sign of the Prancing Pony. The five Hobbits enter the Inn and swiftly close the door to the outside. Once inside Y/n noticed that it was very crowded, noisy and poorly-lit. After pulling back their hoods, Merry and Pippin breathe sighs of relief. To her disappointment, Frodo let's go of Y/n's hand and hesitantly stepped up to the bar, which rises far above his head.

"Excuse me?" Frodo called, trying to catch the innkeeper's attention.

Mr. Butterbur, the innkeeper, leaned down over the bar to look at who called for his attention.

"Good evening, little masters and lady!" Mr. Butterbur greeted, "If you're looking for accommodation we've got some nice, cozy, hobbit-sized rooms available. Mister uh —"

Frodo paused before giving a name; "— Underhill, my name's Underhill." Frodo replied.

"Underhill. Yes..." the innkeeper mumbled.

"We're friends of Gandalf the Grey. Can you tell him we've arrived?" Frodo asked.

"Gandalf? Gandalf?" Mr. Butterbur questioned, "Oh yes! I remember: elderly chap, big gray beard, pointy hat... Not seen him for six months."

The hobbits stood shocked. They huddle close together so not to be overheard.

"What do we do now Mr. Frodo?" Sam asked.

The hobbits were seated at a table near the fire place so Y/n could sit by it to stay warm. She wasn't feeling too well since she fell in the water trying to escape the Black Riders. The atmosphere of the inn wasn't helping either. The air was dark and smoke-filled. Drunken men laughed raucously and several other men glanced suspiciously at the hobbits.

"Sam. He'll be here. He'll come." Frodo said trying to reassure his concerned companion.

Y/n sniffled and pulled her now dry cloak closer around her while she watched Frodo silently from her place at the fire. Her thoughts whirling as she recalled her embrace with Frodo and the whole time he held her hand. Her thoughts were interrupted however by Merry returning to sit at the table. She raised an eyebrow at him as he placed a huge stein of beer on the table.

"What is that?" Y/n laughed at Merry.

"This my friend, is a pint." Merry laughed triumphantly.

"It comes in pints? I'm getting one." Pippin exclaims and rushes to the bar.

"You had a whole half already!" Sam yelled after Pippin.

Sam turns back to his mug. Frodo's thoughts were also preoccupied by his female companion. Having her close and holding her hand felt so right to him but his thoughts were also interrupted by Sam who nudges Frodo and gestures to the corner of the room. A dark cloaked figure sits alone. His face invisible under his hood but his travel worn boots could be seen propped on top a stool. Both Frodo and Y/n glance at the man in the corner before Y/n gets up away from her seat by the fire and joins Frodo, Merry, and Sam at the table.

"That fellow's done nothin' but stare at you since we arrived." Sam said as Y/n sat down next to Frodo.

Frodo noticing Mr. Butterbur walking by he pulls him aside.

"Excuse me, that man in the corner, who is he?" Frodo asked.

"He's one of them rangers. Dangerous folk they are — wandering the wilds. What his right name is I've never heard, but around here, he's known as Strider." Mr. Butter said almost terrified and continues on his way to his other customers.

"Strider." Frodo mumbled.

The man known as Strider lights his pipe. Only the gleam of his eyes can be discerned above the glow of the burning leaf in the pipe. Y/n could sense the anxiety of her other companions but felt no fear towards Strider. Frodo starts to play with the Ring under the table. Faints whispers could be heard but Frodo was the only one to here them.

"Baggins. Baggins. Baggins. Baggins! Baggins!..."

"Baggins!" Pippin could be heard yelling from the bar.

Frodo snaps out of his little trance and whips his head around to look at Pippin.

"Sure I know a Baggins. He's over there, Frodo Baggins." Pippin proudly announced.

"He's my second cousin, once removed on his mother's side and my third cousin twice removed on his father's side, if you follow me." Pippin exclaims as the men gathered around him laugh at his remarks.

Strider sits up, his attention fairly caught by Pippin's conversation. Frodo rushes towards the bar to stop Pippin from babbling any further.

"Pippin!" Frodo exclaimed trying to pull Pippin away from the bar.

"Steady on, Frodo!" Pippin complained brushing Frodo off.

Stumbling back from the bar Frodo slipped on someone's boot and falls back, tossing the Ring into the air. As he attempts to catch it, the Ring slips onto his finger.
"Frodo!" Y/n yelled before Frodo disappears. Folks who had gathered around the raucous gasp in surprise while Strider looked on alarmed.

Sam and Merry turn to each other, both shock and fear evident on their faces. Pippin also turned away from the floor finally realizing what he had done. Further outside Bree, the Black Riders stopped and turned around. Sensing the presence of the Ring, they head back towards the village of Bree. Frodo, now in a shadow world, looks around bewildered. Only shadows of men could be seen around him. No faces shown, all was dark, and everything felt empty. Frodo turns around to see an immense singular orb, a lidless eye, wreathed in flame. The Eye of Sauron stared down at him. Frodo backed away, terrified. He grabs for the Ring, unable to tear his gaze from the hideous Eye. Finally he wrenches the Ring off, reappearing with a relieved sigh. Before Y/n could blink and or even reach Frodo she spots Strider grabbing him from behind.

"You draw far too much attention to yourself Mister 'Underhill'!" Strider growls tossing Frodo up the stairs. He flings open the door of his room, throws Frodo in, and shuts the door behind them. Frodo stumbles, falls, but stands back up.

"What do you want?" Frodo demanded.

"A little more caution from you. That is no trinket you carry." Strider replied making his way towards the window.

"I carry nothing!" Frodo said trying to lie.

"Indeed." Strider said as he puts out the candles by the window with his fingers.

"I can avoid being seen if I wish. But to disappear entirely, that is a rare gift." Strider informs Frodo as he pulled his hood off revealing his face.

"Who are you?" Frodo questions.

"Are you frightened?" Strider asked in return.

"Yes." Frodo answered truthfully.

"Not nearly frightened enough. I know what hunts you." Strider said gravely.

Suddenly the door bursts open, causing Strider to draw his sword. Sam, Merry, Pippin, and Y/n rush in, Sam with fists clenched and ready to fight.

"Let him go! Or I'll have you Longshanks!" Sam yelled at Strider.

Strider sheaths his sword before speaking,

"You have a stout heart little hobbit, but that will not save you." Strider said to Sam before turning to Frodo, "You can no longer wait for the wizard Frodo. They are coming."

Later that night, inside the gatehouse of Bree, the gatekeeper hears a horse snorting. He gets up to investigate and opens the window in the gate but suddenly the Black Riders crash through the gate, crushing the poor gatekeeper underneath it. The riders gallop to the Prancing Pony. Screeches are heard as they dismount their horses. The Black Riders enter the Inn, swords drawn. Mr. Butterbur hides under the bar, terrified for his life. Inside Strider's Room, the Hobbits are soundly asleep all except for Y/n who was sitting wrapped in a blanket at the window. The Black Riders make for the hobbit-sized room. As Y/n hears the door open, she turns to face it. Silently and swiftly the Black Riders raise their swords high above them and plunge them into the beds. The swords descend, stabbing at the hobbit forms as the Hobbits awake. The Riders pull back the covers and realise they have been attacking stuffed bedclothes and pillows. They scream in anger. Strider goes to sit beside Y/n after he closes the door behind him, both watching from the window as the Riders remount their horses and take off down the road. Frodo sits at the foot of the bed listening for anymore signs of the Black Riders. The rest of the sleeping hobbits, awakened by the Black Riders' cries, sit up wide-eyed.

"What are they?" Y/n asked looking from her frightened friends to Strider.

"They were once Men. Great kings of Men." Strider answered solemnly, "Then Sauron the Deceiver gave to them nine Rings of Power. Blinded by their greed, they took them without question. One by one falling into darkness. Now....they are slaves to his will. They are the Nazgûl, Ringwraiths. They are neither living nor dead. At all times they feel the presence of the Ring."

"They will never stop hunting you." Strider turns away from Y/n to look at Frodo as he spoke.

I got my butt in gear and got a chapter done on time! A long one too (to me it's long 🤣) and I was super excited to get it done! I hope to see you lovely people in the next chapter!
5/3/2020-Fixing minor grammatical errors 🤣

*Kalumiko*

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.7K 521 25
Y/N Y/L/N is an 19 year old outgoing , funny , smart , pretty girl. She of course loves the lord of the rings and the hobbit movies and books thanks...
292K 8.1K 36
Farren and her brother Aragorn have wandered Middle Earth for the best part of a century, however with the discovery of the One Ring Farren is thrown...
204K 5.3K 28
(Y/n) (L/n) has been on the run her whole life. Where she is from, she is considered a witch. Gondor would not welcome her any longer. She was a nuis...
3.1K 95 14
Y/n and Legolas have been best friends since they were young, so when Legolas is summoned to the secret meeting, y/n naturally goes along with him. F...