Wanderlust ✓

By AnxietyIsMyWeakness

When introverted Paige Lewis unexpectedly wins a radio contest, she didn't know she would be off to Florida f... More

0. Music of love
1. Hopelessness
2. Bliss
3. Compromise
4. Annoyance
5. Organize
6. Nervousness
7. Relief
8. Exploring
9. Serene
10. Joyous
11. Playful
12. Contemplating
13. Amazed
14. Chaos
15. Bitter
16. Change
17. Euphoria
18. Reality
19. Departure
20. Unload
21. Amusement
22. Patriotic
23. Mayhem
25. Mess
26. Aftermath
27. Confrontation
28. Surprise
29. Breathless
30. Crisis
31. Heartbroken
32. Resentment
33. Tense
34. Cracked
35. Cease
36. Rescue
37. Encouragement
38. Forgiveness
39. Epilogue
40. Final Regards

24. Return

3.9K 97 25
By AnxietyIsMyWeakness

I slammed my locker shut with another groan. "Uh, why does school have to be absolute hell?" I mumbled to myself, pushing through the crowd of angsty teens trying to fight my way to my next class.

Okay, I was being a bit dramatic, but starting my first day back with pre calc at 7 AM was not my kind of fun.

I rounded the corner to enter my English class when Carly caught up to me and followed me in. "Hey bestie, what's with the sad face?"

I grimaced even further, moving towards the back desks.

"Mr. Williams is an asshole. Who wants to jump right into equations and have a packet of homework on the first day? Not me!" I yelled at her.

She put her hands up in surrender, settling into the seat beside me. "Are you sure this has nothing to do with lover boy? Sad you can't see him for a full eight hours?" Carly teased.

Parker.

I hadn't even thought about Parker after getting his sweet text this morning wishing me a good day back.

Oh man, I guess I do miss him.

I had just seen him yesterday but now the reality set in that he went to a different school and the stress and work of school was going to hit soon, making it harder for us to see each other often.

No.

I can't think like that. I'm too pessimistic. It's funny because he's the optimistic one in the relationship, always reassuring me that it's going to be alright. I have to take a page out of his book and at least see how this all works out.

"Stop frowning. You're going to get wrinkle lines too young," Carly commented.

I wiped my brain of Parker and reached down to grab out my notebook before the class started. Just gotta get into the school mindset.

I looked down, about to write my name and date at the top of my paper when a high pitched voice interrupted me.

"You're Paige, right?" The brunette asked, leaning against my table and chomping on a piece of bubblegum, annoyingly loud.

"Uh yeah." I didn't recognize the girl. She had a bob haircut and wore a deep v neck shirt that would get any guy to look down. Another girl, I assume her friend, stood behind her, arms crossed and her head tilted in curiosity.

"You went to that music festival with Parker Collins, didn't you? We were following you guys along on social media and was surprised when we saw the shy girl with the hottest athlete at Oak Hill."

"How'd that happen?" The other blonde girl added in.

I was flustered by their interrogation. "Uh... well..." Before I could embarrass myself, Carly stepped in to save me.

"You bitches are just jealous that she got the guy and you didn't. So go away," she said, waving her hand at them in a shooing motion.

Bubblegum girl scuffed, "Whatever, Carrot Top." She turned on her heals, ready to walk away, not before giving me one last comment. "By the way, I don't know what he sees in you. Who would want to date a loser?" She looked over me with disgust.

Her and her friend giggled as they walked to their seats in the front, leaving me frowning once again.

Carly on the other hand was fuming. "Those self centered Barbie dolls. They'll never be with someone like Parker for a reason. He's too good for them and perfect for someone just as good, which is you. How dare they!"

"Carly-"

"Self-entitled brats. Bet daddy's money couldn't even buy them a guy half as perfect as-"

"CARLY!"

She stopped to turn to me. My hands fiddled with a hang nail as my leg bounced uncontrollably.

"Just," I took a breath,"Ignore them."

Her temper simmered although, the red flush of her cheeks remained.

"Come on now strawberry shortcake, only a couple more hours to go then you're legally allowed to beat them up."

With a small huff, roll of her eyes and recline into her seat, she crossed her arms glaring daggers into the back of their heads. I turned to face the board hoping that was the last interaction I had with those assholes.

If only wishes came true.

•••

3 PM on the dot I felt my phone vibrating in my back pocket as I traveled through the school's half empty halls, students leaving immediately after the last bell. I pulled it out to find a message from Parker.

Parker
Hey there pretty girl.
How was school?

I couldn't help to grin like a fool at the silly pet name. He isn't even here yet my heart and lungs both feel like giving out.

Me
Hey there pretty boy.
It was okay, wbu?

I sent the message before tucking my phone away again. Heading towards my locker for the final book drop-off for the day, I see a figure waving frantically at me.

"Well you seem like you're in a better mood now."

Crossing her arms, Carly smiled. She was practically shaking with excitement.

"We've just finished our first day of senior year, last first day of highschool ever do you know what this means?" She asked with wide eyes.

"I get to take a nap?"

She pushed against my shoulders making me stumble back slightly.

"No you moron, it means we are almost adults!"

Shutting the door to my locker, I spun on my heels to face her.

"I guess we are. I don't think I'm ready for this much responsibility."

We continued talking as we walked out into the parking lot and my phone buzzed again in my pocket, earning a suggestive smirk from Carly.

"Ooo looks like lover boy's calling. Have fun, tell Parker I say hi."

Blowing a kiss and a cheeky wink she walked back over to her car. I took my phone out of my back pocket to answer the messages from Parker, looking up and down so I didn't walk in front of any moving vehicles. We all know, teenagers can't drive!

I was so glad that my parents had bought me a decent car at the end of summer so I wouldn't have to deal with getting another whip lash in Carly's. My only rule was to take Carter to school in the morning. 

I swiped up on the phone screen to see what my boyfriend had replied.

Parker
It was cool.
Would've been 10x better if u were there tho :(

Me
Aw P, you could've just said you missed me.

Parker
Aren't you going to say it back?

Me
Say what back?

My phone cut off from the message screen to Parkers call I.D.

"Well hello there, you have reached the office of Paige how may I assist you?" I asked, hiking my backpack further up as I maneuvered around other rushing students.

"Say it back."

"Say what back, that school was cool?"

"Paiggggggee," he whined into the speaker. I couldn't control the snickers that left my mouth which I tried to hide after a few girls looked over. I grabbed the keys to my car from my bag and unlocked it. I threw my stuff into the passenger seat before getting in and locking the doors.

"Okay fine you big baby, I missed you too."

"Are you free tonight?"

"Not tonight, having a family dinner to celebrate back to school."

He mumbled something inaudibly on the other side of the phone.

"Fine, guess I'll have to settle for the weekend."

"How do you know I'm not busy?" I smirked to myself.

"Because my lovely Paige, you like to spend time with me, your lovely boyfriend of which you haven't seen in 24 hours-"

"It's been less than that." I cut him off.

"Shh! Anyways, I think that means I'm allowed to steal you away for a night. Let's say Saturday at seven?"

"Sure Park, I'll see you then."

"Bye babe, drive safe."

"Bye!"

I put my phone into the cup holder beside me. I started my engine and began the drive home with a smile on my face, asking myself how I got so lucky.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.5M 136K 56
"Honestly one of the best books I've read" - mywayforme "I'll take it from here," Sebastian said. "Ms. Dawson, I re-watched your interlude performanc...
219K 26.2K 70
"This book is the perfect mixture of deep and hilarious. I'm in love with that" - crackhead4ever Teen fiction has given cheerleaders a bad rap. And...
1.3K 277 23
Caden grabs both of Lilly's hands, pulls them close to him, and says, "Lilly, please stop saying that. It's not your fault Caleb's a jerk who likes t...
16.7K 590 65
There are few things that humble Allie Carson. As a senior, she is a central part of the popular crowd and can have any guy she wants - and she knows...