The Rebirth of Han Yuxi

By Danikat55

At home, she was invisible; after marriage, she was a decorative vase; in the end, a sea of flames buried her... More

1-10
11-20
31-40
41
52-61
62-76

21-30

2.3K 39 9
By Danikat55

Chapter 21 : Deep Water and Scorching Fire (3)

Yuxi took the initiative and said to Yuchen, "Third Sister, shall we go and see Eldest Sister in the afternoon?"

Yuchen was somehow surprised. In her impression, Yuxi had always acted indifferent with her other sisters, not distant, but not close either. However, she was very happy when Yuxi took initiative to show her goodwill towards them.

After lunch and a short rest, Yuxi began to write again. After writing a hundred words, she put down the writing brush, rubbed her hands and complained, "I don't know when this will end." She was now going through the ordeal of Teacher Song. She did not believe that Teacher Song would continue doing this for three consecutive months. No one could stand this ordeal, even Yuchen.

In order to cheer Yuxi up, Mama Shen said, "It will take about half a month at most."

Yuxi muttered in her heart that she hoped so. She rubbed her eyes. It was not just her shoulders and hands that were hurting these days, her eyes were often painful. She suddenly remembered one thing. Yuchen kept a jar of fish in her room. The fish bowl was made from ceramic glaze, and you could clearly see the fish swimming freely among the tender green aquatic plants. She looked at it with envy, but now, she thought that the fish tank may not only be beautiful decorative item. She asked, "Don't you think there is something missing in the room, Mama Shen?"

Mama Shen knew Yuxi had something in her mind when she asked this question. Yuxi seldom talked to her unless something happens. Of course, Yuxi also seldom talked to Moju and Motao too which made her didn't suspect anything unusual. "Miss, what is missing in the room?"

Yuxi smilingly said, "If a jar of fish is kept in the house, it will also warms the heart, delight the eyes (Chinese idiom, meaning pleasing)."

Mama Shen thought she knew what Yuxi meant and said with some embarrassment, "Miss, the Third Miss fishbowl was sent by the Marquis of Pingqing, not bought by the residence."

Yuxi really wanted to spit out, why did everyone thought she was lusting over Yuchen's stuffs one after another? Was she so short-sighted in these people's eyes, or was she that greedy when she saw good things? Yuxi felt depressed and uncomfortable, said, "I didn't say I must have her fish tank. I just want to keep at least two fishes in the house. It's good to see them when I have nothing to do." Although she didn't know what effect a jar of fish would have in the house, but it was right for her to learn from Yuchen.

Mama Shen couldn't guess what Yuxi thought, but she nodded and said, "Okay."

In the afternoon, as soon as Teacher Song said school was over, Yujing packed up her things and prepared to leave Magnolia Courtyard.

Looking at Yujing, who already tidy up and ready to go back, Yuxi asked, "Second Sister, you are not going to see Eldest Sister with us?"

Yujing answered, "I have something else to do. I'll see my Eldest Sister some other day."

Yuchen shook her head secretly. Second Sister was really spoiled, even ignoring the sisterhood. "Fourth Sister, let's go!"

As they walked and talked, the distance became very short, as if they could reached Yuru's courtyard in a blink of an eye.

Yuru's yard was planted with jujube trees instead of flowers, which looked monotonous.

When they entered Yuru's room, they saw her lying on the bed, pale and bloodless. Yuxi went to the bedside worriedly and asked, "Are you feeling better, Eldest Sister?"

Yuru nodded and said, "It's much better now."

Yuchen said with concern, "Eldest Sister, you should take good care of yourself. Don't worry about your schoolwork. When you are well, I will lend you my notes." She really thought that Yuru had overworked and fell ill.

Yuru said weakly, "If I'm delayed for several days, I'm afraid I can't catch up." Not to mention delaying for several days, she couldn't catch up even without any delay.

Yuchen did not notice the bitterness in Yuru's words and said, "Don't worry, Eldest Sister. When you are well, we will ask Teacher Song to give you a private lesson."

Hearing this, Yuru coughed violently. She managed to get rid of Teacher Song with difficulty, now they wanted to send her to Teacher Song's door when she got better. She would not going to seek further abuse!

Looking at Yuru's performance, Yuxi became more sure that Yuru deliberately made herself ill. However, she was not prepared to delve deep into the matter either. Whether Yuru wanted to learn or not, it had nothing to do with her. "The most important thing now is to have the disease cured first, and other things have to wait until then." In this way, Yuru would never go to school again even after she got well.

The two left after accompanying Yuru for a short conversation.

Zhuxuan looked at the entangled look on Yuru's face and whispered, "Miss, don't think too much. Maintaining good health is the most important thing."

Yuru whispered, "I won't regret it." Her mouth said she won't regret, but when she saw Yuchen and Yuxi still in healthy good condition, her heart flashed with a bit of unwillingness. Why were they daughters of the first wives? Why were they so loved by God? Everything good was always in their hands.

On the way back, Shishu told Yuchen in a lower voice, "Miss, I just asked about it. Last night, Eldest Miss bedroom window was not being closed, so the wind blew into the room. Eldest Miss caught the chill from the wind." It was easy to get such important news, which showed how loose Yuru's yard management was.

Yuchen frowned. Her Eldest Sister wouldn't have done such a thing!

Shishu thought Yuchen didn't listen to the unspoken implication, so she hastily said, "Miss, It's impossible for a servant girl to be so careless that she couldn't even close the window. The day before, she was doing a good job. Why didn't she do the same yesterday? "

Yuchen's complexion showed she was uneasy. She said, "After telling me this, you should forget about it. Don't tell anyone, not even to my Grandmother." She had not thought about it before, but after hearing Shishu words, she had her doubt. Yuru's body had always being healthy. How could she get ill because of overworking when she only studied for five days? Except that, it wasn't something that would be pleasant to speak out, so she didn't want to pay attention to it any more.

In fact, the Old Madam and Qiu Shi both knew that Yuru deliberately got sick in order to avoid going to school. Yet no one had uncovered it, and they still asked medical treatment for her.

Teacher Song did not slow down her teaching process because of Yuru's illness. It took only one and a half days for her to finish talking about the One Hundred Surnames. In the afternoon she explained the advantages and disadvantages of the three people's homework.

This time she praised Yuxi, "Fourth Miss has made great progress, but she still need to work hard." Yuxi really gave her a big surprise.

Yuxi was embarrassed.

There were those who were praise and critics by Teacher Song. Her target of criticism was Yujing, "Second Miss, you haven't finished your schoolwork these days. If you do this again, you don't need to come anymore." Yujing believed that if she didn't finished her homework, her palm won't be hit. Unlike reciting the text, which she was currently focusing on. Consequently, her homework had never been completed even once.

Hearing what Teacher Song had said, Yujing's face turned pale. She had worked so hard for so long that she didn't want to be driven out of class again. "Ma'am, I will work harder."

After class, Teacher Song called Yuchen into her room. "Third Miss, the performance of these two days is much worse than that of the other days. What is the reason?" With Yuchen's qualification, such a thing should not happen. Teacher Song still very concerned about this student whom she would appoint as her future student.

Yuchen's face turned red. Under the pressure of Teacher Song, she could only say, "These two days, I have been practicing writing with my left hand."

Teacher Song was stunned for a moment, but then quickly responded, "Do you want to learn to write with your left hand because Fourth Miss could use her left hand?"

Yuchen slowly nodded.

Teacher Song thought Yuchen was too ambitious and said, "Third Miss, have you ever heard that within three hundred and sixty professions, every profession has top performers (Chinese idiom which meant regardless of profession one is in, it is possible for one to become top-notch)?"

Yuchen nodded and said, "I've heard about it. This means that no matter what you do, you should do a good job so to make others incomparable."

Teacher Song couldn't help sighing. The Old Madam's high expectations of the Third Miss led her to compete with others in everything. Didn't she know that this was a heavy burden for the child? "No matter what kind of profession, there will be excellent talents in every three hundred sixty professions. It is good that there are chess masters in the chess field, and painting masters in the painting field ... but one cannot learn everything from everyone."

Yuchen understood what Teacher Song was saying, "What Teacher Song mean is that I am wasting my time by learning to write with my left hand like my Fourth Sister?"

Teacher Song nodded and said, "Yes, you can practice your usual handwriting better or do other things well within this time."

Yuchen's complexion was a little unnatural.

Teacher Song really likes Yuchen, and she has considered Yuchen as her own student. Otherwise, she wouldn't have said these words today, "Third Miss, you are gifted and have started much higher than others. However, no matter how talented you are, you can't learn everything. Third Miss, you have to know that one's energy is limited. "

Yuchen knew that Teacher Song was thinking for her own good, but still she said, "Ma'am, I have to learn the four arts, poetry and ode." These were the tasks given to her by her grandmother, and she could not avoid it.

Teacher Song replied, "I will naturally teach you if you want to learn from me, but, Third Miss, you must remember that there is a difference between learning to master and learning just the basics."

Yuchen sincerely said, "Ma'am, I remember. I will study hard and learn all these things well. "

Teacher Song nodded her head. Although Yuchen was somewhat lofty and proud, she could still accept other people's opinions, which was a very good trait. "You are the most talented child I have ever seen. As long as you can work as hard as you do now, your future achievements will be absolutely extraordinary." This was not a compliment, but her expectation of Yuchen.

Yuchen smiled and said, "Thank you, Ma'am."

Yuxi looked at the relieved face of Yuchen and could not help but sigh in her heart. It was different to have a famous teacher to guide you. If you had a good teacher, you would avoid many detours. Today, Yuchen was still young. However, when she grew up, she would be excellent in everything, and she would make people around her unable to breathe. Even now, when she was somewhat blushed with shame.

It took only five days for Teacher Song to teach them Three-Character Classic and the Hundred Family Surnames. Next, she began to teach them Thousand Characters Classic.

Yuxi looked at the book 'Thousand-Character Classic' and suddenly fell irritated.

Moju asked, "What's wrong, Miss?"

Yuxi was a little agitated, "I'm tired of writing and want to go for a walk." Looking at this book, she questioned herself. Could she really change her fate by learning these things? Could these things help her if she really met with difficulties or stranded outside? Obviously, no.

Chapter 22 : Deep Water and Scorching Fire (4)

Yuxi was walking in the garden, thinking about things. The wind blew and a refreshing fragrance came to her face.

Knowing that Yuxi was in a bad mood, Moju wanted to say something to ease her mind, so she said with a smile, "Miss, the Osmanthus planted in this garden blooms late, but the fragrance is especially strong. Less than half of the garden is full of Osmanthus fragrance."

Yuxi listened to Moju and went straight to the tree, looking up at the tall, thick sweet-scented Osmanthus tree. Her mind could not help but remembered that she once wiped a foul-smelling grass on her body in order to be safe when fleeing the country, back in her past life. It was also because of this fishy smell that people retreated three feet from her, thus saving her. An idea seemed to rise in her mind.

It took Teacher Song only three days to finish her lectures on Thousand-Character Classic, then two days to talk about Lessons for Women, and then she began to talk about Women's Analects.

Yuxi previewed these books a few days ago, so it wasn't hard for her. It just that, neither she knew what was really going on. Yujing suddenly began to have a strong determination to succeed. She listened attentively in class and her schoolworks were also completed on time. Even the text and analysis were recited very well. Yuxi did not perform worse than Yujing, only that Yujing had suddenly made a great progress. By contrast, Yuxi was inferior.

Yujing said with a full face of smile, "Fourth Sister, we have to work hard!"

Yuxi turned her head and ignored Yujing's sarcasm. She was very clear about Yujing's temperament which was not a person who could suffer hardships. There must be something fishy with this big change.

Moju really wanted to spray Yujing on her face. She didn't even look at how old she was and how old her Miss was. She still had the face to ridicule her. On the way back, she said indignantly, "That Second Miss has not being hit for these two days, but she was hit by the teacher a few days ago. How dare she mock Miss." Honest people also had their own temper.

Yuxi replied, "It's true that I didn't do a good job lately, so I have to work harder."

Moju wanted to cry, "Miss, you have worked hard enough. I'm afraid your body can't even endure it anymore. Miss, you must take good care of yourself!" Her Miss didn't sleep until midnight these two days and then, she would get up at the beginning of Maoshi (5-7am) hours. Because of it, everyone lost a lot of weight and the meat she had just raised was also gone. Moju felt distressed when she looked at her Miss.

Yuxi laughed, "I will not invert root and branches (Chinese idioms, meaning to do things in the wrong order) ." Learning something was important, but no matter how important it was, it was not as important as a healthy body. If the body collapsed, everything would be in vain.

Over the next few days, Yujing had always wanted to push down Yuxi and even actively provoked her. Unfortunately, Yuxi simply ignored Yujing and left her alone.

Yujing was so angry which made her teeth itched (phrases : greatly irritate or annoy by someone) .

Motao brought a set of green clothes for Yuxi to change into.

When Yuxi wore it, she found it was too big. She took it off and said, "Take it and change it."

Sitting back in front of the dresser and looking at herself in the mirror, Yuxi couldn't help touching her face. A little meat that she had been raising for months disappeared again.

She changed into a peach-colored dress and took Moju to Magnolia Courtyard.

Motao was looking anxious as she said to Mama Shen, "Mama, this is not the way to go, right? Miss' health would not bear it." The new clothes were all made a month ago. Now, all couldn't be wore. They could be altered, but she was really worried that Miss' body would finally stop enduring.

Mama Shen couldn't do anything about it too. If Miss didn't work like this, she won't be able to catch up with the lessons. "I'll ask the kitchen to cook some more delicious food. " With a full dining table, Miss could at least eat more. If she could eat more, her physical strength would not be easily broken down.

Motao was worried, but she could not help her Miss solved the problem.

Yujing saw Yuxi's hungry face, and said with a smile, "Fourth Sister, how is your recitation today?" She was very proud of herself, when she believed she had managed to suppress Yuxi.

Yuxi looked at Yujing, who was still in high spirits, and said with a straight face, "I have memorized all of them. "

Yujing smiled proudly, "Be careful. Don't give a wrong answer later on or you will be criticized by teacher again." Once she have done talking, she ignored Yuxi and went straight to Magnolia Courtyard.

Moju turned red with anger.

Actually, Yuxi was not that angry as she'd believed. It wasn't something worthwhile to be angry over Yujing's words.

Yuchen looked disapprovingly at Yujing. Yuxi's performance was no worse than hers, but she was praised twice by teacher and she was already satisfied with this? What could she achieve with just that?

Yuxi saw the Analects of Confucius sent to her hand. She had no objection on learning it. Just thinking aboard it meant that they would also be taught of The Great Learning, The Doctrine of the Mean and Mengzi. This made her, who thought she was finally going to be relieved, felt like crying.

Yujing stood up and asked, "Ma'am, I don't understand why I need to learn the Analects of Confucius?"

Teacher Song answered with a straight face, "What's wrong? You don't want to learn? "

Yujing really didn't want to learn, because she felt it was something useless to learn. It wasn't like learning qin, chess, calligraphy and painting, which were good for rising reputation. "Ma'am, The Analects of Confucius is a scientific research book. It is useless for us to learn it." From what she said, it was a waste of time to learn it.

Teacher Song didn't like Yujing, but she won't go as far as making her life difficult, so she said, "Then tell me, why did you study with me?"

Yujing wanted to learn such things as qin, chess, calligraphy and painting. She wanted to become a talented woman and then she could marry into a rich family. However, she could not give that kind of answer. "To study with teacher is naturally to learn something."

Instead of paying intention to Yujing, Teacher Song turned to Yuchen and asked, "Third Miss, tell me something, what are you studying for?"

Yuchen thought for a moment and then answered, "Naturally, to be a wise sensible person."

Yuxi sniffed at these spoken words. In her previous life, Jiang Hongjin's younger sister, her sister-in-law Jiang Qi, was also known as a talented woman in the capital. However, in private, she was bitter, ferocious and evil. It had nothing to do with being a wise sensible person.

Teacher Song nodded and said, "Third Miss spoke very well. Reading or studying is for a person to be a wise sensible one. After reading a book, one can also see things in the long run."

Yujing curled her lips, but she didn't dare to refute what Teacher Song said.

After class, old woman Ding said discontentedly, "Ma'am, this Second Miss is too presumptuous." For such a person, they must find a reason before they could expel her.

Teacher Song laughed and said, "Everyone has a temper."

Old woman Ding felt a little strange, "She performed so badly before, but now she's doing very well. Ma'am, don't you smell anything fishy regarding this?"

Teacher Song did not think much of it, and just said, "This older Young Miss is beginning to get it straight."

Old woman Ding, however, had some doubts, but there was no evidence to support her claim. It would be bad for her to say this rashly and offended the host family since her Master was only a teacher. Although she had a great reputation, she couldn't offend the government for such a trivial matter.

Yuxi was holding the Analects of Confucius in her hand, thinking that there were still so many things that she could not finish learning. She felt that the future was dark as she looked at her small body and wondered if she could hold out until the end.

When Moju saw Yuxi pulling a long face, she asked in a low voice, "Miss, did Teacher Song criticize you?" Yujing had performed well, unlike Yuxi.

Yuxi shook her head and said, "No, just felt a little tired."

Moju right then felt sorry for her Miss, but she didn't dare to ask her to stop studying. Otherwise, Mama Shen would skin her alive.

Yuxi went to a junction and went straight to the main courtyard. However, she didn't stay there long since her time was too tight. Nowadays, she was vexed at not being able to fully use her twenty-four hours.

Out of the main courtyard, she happened to meet Yuru. Yuru said with concern, "Fourth Sister, you have lost so much weight. You must take care of your health!"

Yuxi smiled and said, "I know, thank you for your concern." Looking at Yuru's complexion, she knew that Yuru was almost recovered.

After walking away, Moju asked in a low voice, "Miss, what does Eldest Miss meant?" Moju was honest, but not stupid. She could feel that the Eldest Miss' words were not good ones.

Yuxi lightly said with a smile, "Eldest Sister is just concerned about me." Whether she really cared was up to debate.

The more Moju thought about it, the more she felt that Eldest Miss words were not right. "Miss, why do I feel that Eldest Miss is cursing you to be sick?" She felt like the way the words were spoken did not seem to be like wishing her Miss to be not like her. If you felt ill, you didn't have to study. Moju used to think that Yuru was gentle and amiable, but now she looked at her and felt that she was especially fake.

Yuxi only smiled softly. Sometimes she wondered if all the good aura of the residence had gone to Yuchen alone. Otherwise, Yuchen, the chosen girl out of a few girls in the Duke Han of the State's residence, could not have become the favoured Empress of the Harem, while others couldn't get it. Even though Yuxi had been working hard all her life, she was not smart enough to go anywhere that far.

When Yuxi returned straight to her courtyard, she began reciting. This was Yuxi's learning method that she had summed up herself. She learnt the text by heart, then she did her homework. It would be done faster like this since she didn't have to read the text while writing.

The only thing Yuxi felt fortune now was that her memory ability in this life was much better than in her previous life. Otherwise, she would not have been able to hold on long ago. "Confucius said, is it not pleasant to learn and practice what is learned time and again ..." Reciting and remembering all the written words in her mind over and over again could also deepen her memory.

After dinner, Yuxi asked Mama Shen who was beside her, helping her with digestion, "Where did Mama heard that as long as you survived the first half of the month, the days after that would be better?"

Mama Shen answered, "That's what they said outside."

Yuxi shook her head helplessly. It was only her who thought too much on this matter. The first half of the month was really testing students' perseverance, but with Teacher Song's temperament, even after half a month, it was impossible to even relax in the future. Sigh, she didn't know when did this deep water and scorching fire days came with full of vigor. She didn't want to back down, but she felt that her body was not going to endure it much more.

Mama Shen thought that Yuxi couldn't help thinking about quiting, she hurriedly said, "Miss, no matter how hard it is, you have to hold on!" Yuxi's current performance had made Mama Shen no longer expected Teacher Song to accept her as a student. She only hoped that Yuxi could continue surviving the first few months.

Yuxi smiled and said that she would never voluntarily quit unless Teacher Song kicked her out. Although this period of time was very hard, she did learn a lot of things, which were not even mentioned in the textbook. Only now, she was worried about one thing, "Don't worry, I won't give up halfway. It's just that I feel like my spirit is willing but my flesh is weak (Chinese idiom meant when you would like to do something, but you do not have the time, skills, or energy necessary to do it) recently. I'm worried that my body won't endure it any longer."

Mama Shen was shocked, however when she saw Yuxi's unchanged expression, she felt a little bit ease, "Don't worry, Miss. I'll send a doctor to take a good look at you. "

Yuxi intentionally told Mama Shen about this, in order to let the Old Madam knew, so that she would have a doctor came over to help her recuperate.

Chapter 23 : Fake Storm (1)

Yuxi went to Magnolia Courtyard and found out that she was the last person to arrive. She didn't care either. It wasn't like she was actually late. She set up her four treasures of study and the Analects of Confucius, then took some times to review the book.

Yujing sneered and said, "Teacher is coming soon. It's far too late for you to learn now."

Yuxi ignored her and studied carefully.

When Yujing saw that Yuxi was ignoring her, she became angrier. "You ignoring me when I was talking to you?"

Yuxi looked at Yujing and sneered, "How do you want me to answer you? Do you still want to hear me saying that I am not at all offended by your sarcasm?" After a paused, she chuckled, "Second Sister, I wonder, how can you have the nerve to ridicule me? I'm only four years old. You're eight years old. Aren't you supposed to be better than me?"

Yujing suddenly changed her face, "When did I ever ridiculed you?"

Yuxi sneered, "Speaking of which, I am a bit puzzled. Third Sister and I have lost a lot of weight during this period. Second Sister, you are not only not getting thinner but also still in good spirits. Can you tell us how you did it?" She indirectly implicated that Yujing had cheated.

On hearing this, Yuchen looked up at Yujing and saw what Yuxi just said. Not only did Yujing not lose any weight, she seemed to have gained a lot of flesh. Yuchen had learned everything that Teacher Song had taught till now, so she had lost a lot of weight during this period of time. Meanwhile, Yujing who may not have any foundation, had better body condition than her, making her feeling doubtful at Yujing.

"What do you mean?" cried a flustered and exasperated Yujing.

Yuxi shrugged and said, "I'm just asking if Second Sister have any good learning methods. I didn't slander you." Her words were obviously saying that Yujing had no 300 silver taels hidden here (Chinese idiom : to reveal what one intends to hide).

Yujing hated her till it made her teeth itched (Chinese idiom : To greatly irritate or annoy someone, especially to the point of affecting their nerves), but she was also afraid of saying something wrong much more. She simply stared at Yuxi and kept the account in her heart, waiting for it to be counted later on.

When sisters having a dispute, naturally would be known by the servant girl waiting outside the classroom. She immediately told the matter to old woman Ding. Old woman Ding originally suspected that Yujing was cheating, but there was no evidence to proof it. Now she was more sure of her guess after hearing what Yuxi said, and immediately told Teacher Song about it.

The reason why Teacher Song did not suspected Yujing at all was not because she was too stupid to notice, but she had never encountered anything like this in her ten years of teaching. Those girls who couldn't stand her harsh teaching methods, would only quit by using illness or others as reasons. Yet they never thought of cheating, rather the price for doing so was huge for them to bear. Once discovered, they would have a bad reputation and subsequently ruined for a lifetime. No one dared to gamble with their whole life.

Old woman Ding said, "Ma'am, I don't think Second Miss is doing anything good. I was reminded about this after I heard what Fourth Miss said today."

Teacher Song was silent for a moment, "Bring over all Second Miss' homeworks." Learning and analyzing the text by heart were personally examined by her so Yujing couldn't cheat there. If she wanted to cheat, she could only do it in her schoolwork.

Old woman Ding quickly took out all Yujing's schoolwork and piled them up.

After carefully checking Yujing's schoolwork, Teacher Song's face was filled with anger. How could old woman Ding found out, not herself, when the words written looked so similar? Precisely because, she didn't checked it carefully before that it was unlikely for her to notice the differences. "Good, very good!" For Yujing to even dare to use this cheap mean to cheat, how could she not be angry.

Old woman Ding was also very angry when she learned that Yujing had hired someone else to do her homework. To use this kind of dirty mean to cheat her and her Master was such a disgusting thing, "I doesn't expected that Second Miss could be this bold. Ma'am, I'll drive her out now."

Teacher Song belonged to a more rational type compared to old woman Ding, "No, this matter should not be disclosed." If she pushed Yujing out now, it would not only spoil Yujing's reputation, but also the reputation of the other Young Misses of the residence. She shouldn't implicate others for a dirty rat.

Old woman Ding was really annoyed, "Ma'am, how could you just forget about this?"

Naturally, Teacher Song won't forget it easily, "I'll keep the score in my heart."

When it was time for class, Teacher Song restrained her mood and continued the class as usual.

At noon, old woman Ding looked at Teacher Song and asked, "Ma'am, it is about time for us to tell Old Madam Han about this."

Teacher Song shook her head and said, "We tell her after a few days."

Old woman Ding was puzzled, "Why need to wait till a few days?" Wasn't it right to inform Old Madam Han immediately, afterwards, blocked Second Miss from coming to Magnolia Courtyard? Old woman Did didn't understand what Teacher Song was thinking.

Teacher Song didn't explained any further. However, old woman Ding knew her well, she quickly asked, "Ma'am, are you afraid this incident will affect the Fourth Miss?"

Teacher Song shook her head and said, "Not at all." She had some scruples. Yuxi discovered the problem, but she, as a teacher, did not find it. This was a serious dereliction of duty.

It was not long after Yuxi returned to the Rose Courtyard that a doctor came over. It was Doctor Bai. He was not originally the person who treated her smallpox. He was one of her relatives on her mother's side.

After examining her pulse, Doctor Bai said, "Miss' health does not have any huge problem. She is merely exhausted. She needs to have a good rest."

Yuxi gave a wry smile. When would she has time to have a good rest?

Doctor Bai was familiar with the affairs of the state residence and knew why Yuxi was being overworked.

Yuxi just nodded her head.

Yuxi's words during the day stuck in Yuchen's mind. She looked at the Old Madam and told her about it.

Yuchen's meaning was to check on it. If Yujing was really cheating, it should be stopped in time. Otherwise, the Duke's official residence reputation would seriously turn bad. She was also afraid that this matter would also offend Teacher Song. Once Teacher Song resigned from the schoolroom in a fit, even if Yuchen cried her heart out, she would never find someone like her anymore.

Old Madam Han frowned, "You took Fourth Girl's nonsense words too seriously." Since when did the little girl whom she brought up by herself being led by the Fourth Girl?

Yuchen shook her head, "No, Grandmother, Second Sister's recent performance is really unusual." Everyone had learnt the book of enlightenment and yet, Yujing still behaved badly. With Teacher Song currently taught them became more profound, somehow Yujing performed much better than before, how couldn't this matter looked strange?

Old Madam Han was silent for a moment and then said, "I'll have someone to look it up, so you don't need to mind this anymore." She still thought this was just the Fourth Girl talking nonsense.

She then planted a person in Pleasant Courtyard and got the news the next day. "Old Madam, I have asked about her. Second Miss works very hard these days. Everyday, she will do her homework till late at night and gets up very early in the morning."

The Old Madam asked, "Did she saw anything unusual?"

Mama Luo shook her head and said, "No, everything is fine in Pleasant Courtyard. There's nothing unusual."

Hearing this, the Old Madam was dissatisfied with Yuxi. Did that girl not know the consequences if it really happened the way she said so?

Mama Luo spoke well for Yuxi, "Old Madam, in fact, you can't also blame the Fourth Miss. I have inquired about it. The Second Miss has been making trouble for the Fourth Miss lately. Yesterday, the Fourth Miss got really annoyed that she said the words without thinking, when no actual cheating had really happened." Just a four-year-old child, where could she have this much cleverness.

When the Old Madam thought about Yuxi's performance during this period, she said nothing more on that matter, "Just tell Mama Shen to guide the girl well."

When Yuchen heard that Yujing did not do anything unusual, she frowned, but she did not raise any objection to the Old Madam because of filial piety.

However, Yuxi was unlike Yuchen. She didn't believe a thing from the result of this investigation, but she couldn't openly refute it. She just smiled and said, "I didn't say that my Second Sister cheated. I just wanted to know if she had any good learning methods. If I learned it, I would not have to work so hard."

Mama Shen's eyebrow jumped. She thought Yuxi would question the decision, but she didn't think Yuxi would also not also accept this was her doing. Lately, she found out that she couldn't see through Fourth Miss anymore.

Yuxi ignored Mama Shen and did her homework with a bitter face. Now there was a layer of cocoon on her hand, which made it stop having blisters any more. It would not hurt so much for her to hold a pen now.

A few days passed in an instant.

A maid reported back to the Old Madam that Teacher Song had come. She heard that some unexpected matters had happened. Except for the first day of her arrival, Teacher Song had never been to the main house for the past half a month.

Mama Luo personally welcomed Teacher Song into the house.

When Teacher Song sat down, she immediately told Old Madam Han without beating around the bushes, "Old Madam, I came here this time to tell the Old Madam something."

When Old Madam Han looked at Teacher Song, she knew it wasn't a good thing, "Please continue, Teacher Song."

Teacher Song told her that Yujing's schoolwork were not done by Yujing herself, "Old Madam, please forgive me, I will not teach such a child."

Old Madam Han's face changed, "Teacher Song, you must have been mistaken." If it was like Yuru, she had no objection because she knew that Yuru couldn't bear such a large amount of schoolwork and used the method of sick leave to naturally quit. However, Yujing's shameful behavior would damage the reputation of all the Young Misses in the residence.

Teacher Song said with a stern face, "Old Madam, I would not play with the reputation of a student without sufficient evidence. Old Madam, I don't want to make a fuss about it before I tell you." As long as Yujing did not come to Magnolia Courtyard anymore, how Old Madam Han handled Yujing was beyond her control. Of course, Yujing's reputation could surely be preserved when this was handed over to Old Madam Han.

Old Madam Han had experienced strong winds and heavy rain. Although they embarrassed her, they did not cause her to lose her sense of propriety. After sending off Teacher Song, she ordered Feicui, "Go fetch Concubine Rong and Second Girl." Concubine Rong must have known that Yujing had been doing this.

When Concubine Rong heard that the Old Madam summoned her to the front courtyard, she knew it was not something good, mainly because she suddenly felt guilty. Therefore, she was somewhat worried when the Old Madam inexplicably summoned her.

She asked her own maid to send a word to the front courtyard. It wasn't that she was being too careful, but the Old Madam's staff were to ferocious, which made her having some scruples.

Chapter 24 : Fake Storm (2)

Yujing didn't know that the matter was related to her, so she tried to sooth her mother by saying, "Mother, we will let Dad know. When Grandmother try to make things difficult for us, Dad will protect us. "

Concubine Rong smiled ruefully. If it had been in the past, she wouldn't have to worry at all, but now, she couldn't predict what would happen. Concubine Rong, unwilling to show her timidity in front of her daughter, said with a calm smile, "Let's go!"

When Concubine Rong entered the main house with Yujing, she saw the angry Old Madam. With a thump in her heart, she quickly knelt down.

Old Madam Han pointed at Yujing and scolded her angrily, "Troublesome person, if you don't kneel down, you're going to make the Han House lost its face." In order to achieve their goals, they were willing to resort to deceit. It was really hard for watery mud to be used to plaster the wall (Chinese idiom meant some people are hapless beyonce helping).

When Concubine Rong heard this, she knew that Yujing had been caught cheating. They were so careful that they didn't expect it to be discovered.

Yujing surprisingly didn't expect that she was the one who was being scolded, "Grandmother, what exactly did Granddaughter do to make you insult me like this?"

When Old Madam Han saw Yujing dared to talk back, she grab a green lotus cup and tried to smash it onto the floor, but somehow it hit Yujing's forehead and gave her a big bump, "You have the nerve to ask me, don't you know what you have did?" Fortunately, Teacher Song left the matter to her, otherwise she didn't know how it would end.

Yujing touched the bump on her forehead and said while crying, "Grandmother, what did Granddaughter do wrong for you to do this to me?"

Old Madam Han sneered, "You really won't shed tears till you see the coffin (Chinese idiom meant refuse to be convinced until one is faced with grim reality). Are you right? Then tell me, who did your schoolwork?"

"Grandmother, did Han Yuxi run up to you and talk nonsense? Grandmother, she just couldn't see me well. She was jealous of me, so she slandered me."

Old Madam Han laughed angrily.

Mama Luo saw Yujing being disgraceful and said, "It was not Fourth Miss, but Teacher Song who told us that your schoolwork were done by someone else."

Yujing was a little panicked, "Grandmother, I didn't ask anyone else to do schoolworks. Grandmother, I didn't do such a thing. Grandmother, could Teacher Song makes a mistake?" Even she, herself, couldn't tell the difference so, how could Teacher Song notice?

Old Madam Han sneered, "Mistake? Do you mean that Teacher Song has mistaken you?"

Yujing hurriedly said, "Grandmother, it must be Teacher Song who has listened to Han Yuxi's provocation. Grandmother, please let me confront Han Yuxi."

Old Madam Han was extremely disgusted with Concubine Rong, and she also disliked Yujing. If it were not for the fear that it would hurt mother and son affection by getting rid of Concubine Rong, she would have settled this easily.

Even if she died, Yujing would not admit to do it, "Grandmother, Teacher Song has never like me. She took this opportunity to drive me out."

Old Madam Han could not bear to hear any more. She had seen a fool, but she had never seen such a fool. She looked at Yujing, and then at Concubine Rong, who was kneeling beside her. She was too lazy to argue about this issue any more. She only asked Concubine Rong, "Tell me, who wrote Second Girl's schoolwork?"

Where would Concubine Rong admitted it, "No one. The Second Girl's schoolwork had always been done by herself." If this matter could be hidden, let hid it for good.

Mama Luo stood up and said, "Concubine Rong, Second Miss, Teacher Song did not find Second Miss to settle it herself, but decided to tell the Old Madam with hope that this matter would be solved in private, so that the residence would not lose face."

Yujing's face went white.

Old Madam Han stared at Concubine Rong and said, "Still not telling the truth?" She looked it up last time, but somehow she didn't find any problems.

Concubine Rong gritted her teeth and said, "It was written by my servant girl, Ah Juan."

Old Madam Han snorted coldly. She already knew who was helping Yujing with her schoolwork, but she did not want to go to the bottom of it. If she did, it would bring a lot of noise which won't bring any good to anyone. "Whose idea was it to have someone else did the homework for her?"

Concubine Rong answered, "It was this handmaiden who saw that Second Girl had been working too hard, so this handmaiden let Ah Juan helped with some of the schoolwork."

Old Madam Han had not yet spoken when a maid announced from outside, "Old Madam, the Duke of the State has arrived."

The Duke looked at his beloved concubine and daughter kneeling on the ground, crying out of form and turned to ask Old Madam Han, "Mother, what is going on?"

Old Madam Han replied, "Mama Luo, you tell him about it."

After the Duke listened to Mama Luo's words, his face turned stiff and he looked at Yujing, "Is this true?"

Yujing wanted to deny but Old Madam was there and it was no used for her to tell more lies.

Concubine Rong, pear blossom bathed in the rain (Chinese idiom meant a weeping beauty), with tears flowing said, "Old Madam, Lord, Second Girl had worked so hard. This handmaiden couldn't bear seeing her like that, so handmaiden let the maid helped with the schoolwork. This is all handmaiden's fault, if the Old Madam and the Lord want to punish, please punish this handmaiden!"

The Duke of the State, seeing his concubine's sorrowful appearance, softened his heart and said to the Old Madam, "Mother, this is not a big deal, as long as Teacher Song does not pursue it."

Old Madam Han had no expectations for her eldest son many years ago, but when she heard the Duke said it was not a big deal, she felt her heart was blocked by a stone, "Is it necessary for it to ruin the reputation of the Duke's official residence before it becomes a big deal?"

The Duke looked at his mother and asked, "Then Mother, how do you want to punish them?"

Old Madam Han listened to this somewhat resentful words and said, "Yujing will copy Lessons for Women a hundred times and no need to come out again."

Concubine Rong was very worried and regardless of the fear in her heart, said, "Old Madam, Yujing still has to go to school. Can you let her copy it later?" Even if you wanted to punish, it shouldn't be this way.

Old Madam Han used to think that Concubine Rong was very smart, but now she looked like a fool. When the mother did not set a good example, she even helped her child to cheat instead. After all, a concubine was still a concubine, the one who was better kept under the table (Chinese idiom meant too inferior to show in public). Old Madam Han had some regrets. In fact, what happened to Yujing in those days could be seen as saying that she was a fool, an expected result of being raised by a waste.

When Yujing was born, Concubine Rong wanted to give her a good family background, so she wanted to put her under Qiu Shi's name. Qiu Shi also didn't refuse at that time, but said that since the child was written under her name, she had to raise her. As a result, Concubine Rong was unwilling. She was afraid that Yujing would support Qiu Shi, and then she was instigated into hatred between mother and daughter.

Concubine Rong thought Qiu Shi would compromise under the pressure of the Duke of the State but Qiu Shi clenched her teeth and still did not allow it, even if it almost made the Duke turned against her. In the end, the matter ended up in a smoke.

Old Madam Han said, "Teacher Song didn't kick her out of the school was already for the face of the residence. You are still fantasizing of letting Second Girl back to school?"

Concubine Rong hold on to the Duke's thigh, crying and pleading, "Lord Duke, Yujing was only temporarily confused, so her future could not just being cut off this way."

The Duke also didn't have the heart to, so he said to Old Madam Han, "Mother, let's talk with Teacher Song to give Yujing another chance."

Old Madam Han didn't bother to say anything anymore to his son. She could only proposed one way, "In order not to lose the face of the residence, I will tell the public that she is ill."

Only then did Yujing realized the seriousness of the matter and cried, "Grandmother, I was wrong. I really know I was wrong. Please give me another chance." She thought it was done perfectly, but she didn't expect it to be found out.

Old Madam Han shook her head and said, "You've wasted two chances yourself, and nobody's to blame."

The Duke was silent for a moment, then asked, "Mother, talk to Teacher Song again!" He still wanted to fight his daughter's benefits. After all, she was his favourite daughter.

Old Madam Han was very sad to see him like this. If her eldest son had not been taken away by her mother-in-law and raised by herself, he would never have become what he was today. Even though Dowager Madam Han was dead, Old Madam Han still hated her deeply. "Teacher Song didn't publicized the incident has already given the residence face, so don't think about it any more."

The Duke knew there was no more room for change.

Old Madam Han looked at the pale Concubine Rong who was kneeling on one side and said, "Tomorrow, Concubine Rong will be send to the temple."

The Duke immediately said, "Mother, if she has done something wrong, she should be punished, but she doesn't need to be sent to the family temple, so just let her stay in the Pleasant Courtyard!" It meant to be placed under house arrest in Pleasant Courtyard.

The Old Madam didn't want to ruin the mother and son affection between them before and she had been very patient. She could tolerate his concubine violated her bottom line three or four times, but she was very angry now. "Someone come, drag Concubine Rong down for me. Take her to the temple now." Looking at the Duke who still wanted to speak, she snorted coldly, "Do you still want to be disobedient and unfilial?" She had never did it before, but today was the first time she used filial pity to overwhelm the Duke.

The Duke's heart quivered, so he didn't dare to interfere anymore.

Concubine Rong passed out when she saw this situation.

Yujing was so frightened that she burst into tears and shook her mother's arm, "Mother, mother, what's wrong with you?"

Old Madam Han looked at Concubine Rong who was feeling dizzy on the ground in disgust. For more than ten years, she still did these two tricks and she still wasn't bored to use them.

The Duke ordered, "Get a doctor."

Old Madam Han didn't wanted to see Concubine Rong again, nor hearing Yujing's cry of death, so she ordered Concubine Rong to be taken back to Pleasant Courtyard.

An hour later, Mama Luo came over with a strange face and said, "Old Madam, Concubine Rong is pregnant and it has been for a month." If she was to be sent to the temple, Concubine Rong would have no chance to turn over again. She had to say that Concubine Rong was lucky to get pregnant at this juncture. The main house now had only two heirs, and now Concubine Rong was found pregnant. The Old Madam would protect the child in any way she can.

Old Madam Han decided to no longer hated Concubine Rong and would not make fun of her offspring. "Let her stay in Pleasant Courtyard." After a paused, she said, "Don't spread out this matter for the time being. Let Second Girl serve in Pleasant Courtyard. For other matters, you should deal with it thoroughly."

Mama Luo was the Old Madam's confidant. She could guess more or less what the Old Madam was thinking , "What the Old Madam meant was to deal with the people around her?"

The Old Madam Han said, "Sell all the maids around her." For the time being, she couldn't handle Concubine Rong, but the maid and mama beside her could still be handled by her. Without these minions, Concubine Rong could not turn the waves.

Chapter 25 : Foil

Concubine Rong wept with joy when she knew she was pregnant. She looked forward to a son for so many years, but she didn't expect the child to come after she had given up any hope.

She touched her belly and said, "Son, you're really mother's little lucky star." If the child had not arrived in time, she would have been sent to the temple.

Yujing, who didn't think so much about her future brother, asked, "Mother, what should we do now?" The immediate task was to solve their present matter.

Concubine Rong sighed slightly, "During this time, we will recuperate in Pleasant Courtyard." Having the child was equivalent as having a talisman, but she also knew that if she dared to borrow the child to do anything, the Old Madam would not touch her now, but would certainly seek her revenge after the child was born.

Yujing was unwilling, "Mother, I am one head short of them in status. If I lose this chance again, I will not be able to stand up in front of them."

Concubine Rong poked Yujing's head, hating iron for not becoming steel (Chinese idiom : to feel resentful towards somebody for failing to meet expectations and impatient to see improvement) and said, "You regret it now? How did you listen when you were asked to do your homework well earlier? It's too late for you to feel regret now." If it was not for Yujing constant complaints from morning till night and even expressed her desire to quit due to illness, how would she not come up with such a plan?

While mother and daughter were talking, they saw Mama Luo came over. Mama Luo was also a kind of person who did not liked to talk nonsense, so she directly took away Concubine Rong's two close maids and her beloved mama.

Concubine Rong's face turned ghastly pale but she didn't dare to confront the Old Madam. Now that the Duke was no longer as protective of her as before, she decided to keep a low profile. Moreover, the most important thing right now was the child in her belly.

When Yuxi saw that only she and Yuchen were in the class next day, she muttered in her heart whether Yujing also withdrew from the class through illness. No, she wouldn't have. When Yuxi saw her yesterday, she was still full of vigour. Moreover, Yujing was different from Yuru. Yuru couldn't keep up with the learning process while Yujing had been doing well recently.

With Yuxi's mind filled with many questions regarding this, she immediately asked Hongshan after class ended.

Hongshan's eyebrows and eyes were all full of happiness. Now that Second Miss had left, she could no longer bully her Miss, "Miss, yesterday, Concubine Rong fell ill. The Second Miss waited on her all night and also fell ill from fatigue."

Yuxi doubted the truth of the news very much. Yujing's temperament was not like a filial daughter who could wait on people without sleeping all night. "How did Concubine Rong felt ill?"

Hongshan shook her head and said, "I don't know. Yesterday evening, the Old Madam asked Concubine Rong to come over with Second Miss. It was said that Concubine Rong was seen being carried out. A doctor also came not long after." The mouth of the Old Madam's maid, that old woman, seemed very tight like a clam shell. She could not find any useful information, but this piece of news was still came from that old woman of the Old Madam's courtyard.

Yuxi thought that this matter wasn't as simple as it seemed, "Did the Old Madam met anyone before calling for Concubine Rong and Second Sister?"

Hongshan thought for a moment and said, "Yes, Teacher Song did went to see the Old Madam."

Yuxi understood at once, that Teacher Song had perhaps uncovered her Second Sister's cheating acts. In fact, she was somewhat puzzled. She could see that there was something wrong with it, so, how could a person as fierce as Teacher Song found out about it only now? And what with this being ill excuse? If she guessed correctly, Concubine Rong's illness was fake, but it was true that it was used to cover up for Yujing.

Yujing won't be coming, so, Yuxi and Yuchen were the only two students left in the class. By this time Yuxi would not want to hide her weaknesses anymore. Once her weaknesses were exposed, Yuchen would compare her to dregs where she will still be considered inferior. Even if she worked hard, she could only draw with Yuchen. She knew, however, that Yuchen had to practice qin and paint in her spare time. In contrast, she had become a foil.

What Yuxi did not know was that her performance at this time startled Teacher Song. She thought Yuxi couldn't keep up with the progress and was still wondering how long would she last. She didn't expect Yuxi to give her a big surprise.

When it school holiday came, it happened to be raining.

Yuxi stood at the door, looking at the pearl-like raindrops drifted down from time to time, muttering, "It's hard to get two days off, and now it's raining." There were two days off in one month, which was stipulated by Teacher Song, for students to relax. Of course, Yuxi could not relax. As soon as you relaxed, you would probably not be abled to keep up with the progress.

Embroidered shoes got wet easily in rainy days.

Mama Shen said, "Miss, let me carry you over!" Misses from large families were very delicate. If a four-year-old girl went shopping or something, she needed to be held by someone all the time

Yuxi was unwilling, "No need, I'll walk by myself." She was not actually four years old, but already in her twenties. How could she let them carry her? It would also be very awkward situation for her.

When Mama Shen saw Yuxi's firm attitude, she took a step back, "Miss, no matter how careful you are, it's a quarter of an hour's walk from the Rose Courtyard to the main room, and your shoes will always get wet. If Miss suffers cold, it is the sin of this old servant. Miss, let this old servant carry you over!"

Moju, who noticed that Yuxi was still unwilling, said, "Miss, if your clothes get wet, then the Old Madam will surely blame us for being careless."

Yuxi also did not know where the Old Madam's interest came from. Yesterday she was ordered to come down to the Old Madam's room for breakfast today, otherwise she wouldn't have to go out if it rained today. She thought for a moment and said, "Mama is getting older, let Hongshan carry me on her back." Hongshan was the servant girl of the Old Madam. Now, she couldn't just leave her behind when she visited the Old Madam.

Yuxi laid on the back of Hongshan, and Mama Shen was holding a blue cloth umbrella beside her. Walking in the drizzle, she couldn't help reaching out to touch the rain. It was ice-cold.

Mama Shen saw the situation and hurriedly said, "Miss, don't play with the rain, you'll catch cold." It was easy to catch cold in this weather. Now Miss' health was no better than before, and she was still taking the tonic prescribed by the doctor every day!

Yuxi replied with a smile, "I'm not so delicate." Since she studied with Teacher Song, the Old Madam's attitude towards her had been getting better and better. She was not acting like a four years old, so, the Old Madam must have thought about the reason behind such a big change in her attitude. However, given her current situation, she had no choice but to counter soldiers with arms, water with earth weir (Chinese idiom : to adopt measures appropriate to the actual situation).

When she arrived at the main room, the Old Madam didn't show too much enthusiasm, which made Yuxi felt very relieved. If the Old Madam suddenly had a deep affection for her other grandchildren, she didn't know if she could stand it.

A servant girl named Cuiyu came in and said, "Old Madam, the breakfast had been prepared and it's ready to be eaten."

The breakfast was very rich, with glutinous rice congee, xiaolongbao, crystal shrimp dumplings, lily pastries, plum blossom pastries, spinach, crispy ginger, pickled cucumber and other six side dishes, as well as a bird's nest and Xinjiang mushroom chicken soup.

Yuxi saw so much delicious food that her stomach began to growl. She also didn't know if it was because of the shadow left by her last life, but she couldn't go hungry after she was reborn.

The cook for the main room was definitely the best cook in the residence. The taste of the things things made were not much better than that from the main kitchen, even Mama Fang's cooking couldn't compare.

When the foods were delicious, you would eat more. Yuxi ate a bowl of glutinous rice porridge, two small steamed buns, six crystal shrimp dumplings, not many side dishes, and finally drank a small bowl of mushroom chicken soup.

While Yuxi was eating, the Old Madam looked at her more than once, and at last, her frown was so wrinkled that she could kill two flies (TN : I don't really understand this part. I just know that the Old Madam was frowning heavily). "Fourth Girl, do you see how your Third Sister uses things?" If such a hungry ghost action being seen by those who didn't knew what really happened in the residence, they would thought that the people of the residence had treated Yuxi badly.

Yuxi was just focusing on eating, where would she have time to pay attention to Yuchen. Now with the reminder from the Old Madam, she unable to ignore them.

Yuchen ate slowly, chewed her food well before swallowing them and her chopsticks moved elegantly while picking the foods. A true acts of a great lady.

Yuxi was somewhat discouraged in her heart. She even became a foil for just having a meal. She didn't know till when her days as a foil ended?

Once they finished the dishes, a maid brought in a bowl of goat milk egg custard. Yuxi felt regret. If she knew earlier, she wouldn't have eaten so much till she felt full. At the first glanced, the goat milk egg custard looked delicious. Although she was very full, she still took a bite, there was no way she won't try it! If she hadn't been stared at by the Old Madam, she would really like to finish the goat milk egg custard. It was delicious.

Old Madam Han couldn't help herself but asked, "Are you so unrestrained like this in your daily meals?" She didn't know how Mama Shen served, nor did she knew how to advice the Fourth Girl.

Yuxi shook her head and answered, "No, but today's food is really delicious, so I couldn't help eating more."

Old Madam Han's face eased up and then she said, "In the future, attention should be paid to the fact that even if the food is delicious, it must be ate in an appropriate amount. Overeating is not good for your health." She was very particular about keeping a good health, otherwise she wouldn't have maintained it so well.

Yuxi honestly agreed.

After breakfast, Yuxi was going to leave the main courtyard. Yuchen came out and said to her, "Fourth Sister, I'm going to visit my maternal uncle's house tomorrow. Come with me!" Yuchen's maternal uncle was Marquis of Pingqing. Now, he was the left assistant minister of the Ministry of War, a powerful and important minister.

Yuxi was unwilling, "Third Sister, I can't, I want to take these 2 days to review my lessons. Otherwise, I'm afraid my hand will be hit again." Fortunately, nowadays, Teacher Song hit just for a show. It was actually not that painful, but she still felt quite embarrassed.

Yuchen did not insist, just smile and said, "All right."

The Old Madam heard Yuxi refused Yuchen's invitation, with her hands holding the Buddha beads, she said to Mama Luo who was beside her, "This girl's mind is too deep. Let old woman Shen take a good look. If there's something wrong, immediately tell me."

So, Mama Luo became busy.

Yuxi only went to the main courtyard twice this month, and every time she came and went in a hurry. This time, she had time to accompany Qiu Shi for a long time.

Then, Liuyin came in and said, "Madam, Concubine Rong said she has a stomach-ache, so she needs a doctor." Concubine Rong's pregnancy had not been publicized, but it still could not escape Qiu Shi's eyes. Just because the Old Madam didn't let the news be disclosed to the public, she didn't dare to make a move either.

Yuxi looked at Qiu Shi's expression, stood up and said, "Aunt, I still have a lot of schoolwork to do, so, I'll go back first."

Within the period of time Yuxi left her home, the day had stopped raining. She said to her maids and old women, "Let's take a walk in the garden." The garden must had been more beautiful after rain.

Chapter 26 : Conflict

As Yuxi and her entourage walked into the garden, a gust of autumn wind blew past them with waves of light flower fragrance greeted them along the pavement. Although it was already late autumn, with the moisture from the drizzle, the garden also appears particularly lively.

Yuxi was admiring the chrysanthemums when she saw Yujing coming over with her two maids. She cheerfully greeted her, "Second Sister."

Yujing saw Yuxi and her eyes were filled with resentment. If it weren't for Yuxi, how would Teacher Song knew about her fraud? Now, she had not only lost the chance to learn from Teacher Song, but also been locked up for so long. She shouted to the maids around her, "All of you get out from here!"

Mama Shen, Hongshan and others looked at Yujing's appearance. How could they dare to go away? What if once they were far away, their Miss suffered losses?

Yujing saw that not only did Yuxi not move, but also the maids and old women around her did not dare to move. Her anger became more and more intense. "Get the hell out of here!" If they didn't leave, they would make this dead girl (Yuxi) looked good.

Yuxi ignored Yujing and said, "Let's go back!" It was hard for her to get out for a walk and had relaxation. As a result, despite with the garden being so big, she still could accidentally meet Yujing. It was really an unlucky year for her.

Yujing had dislike Yuchen, who always had a faint look of never put people in her eyes, for a long time. With Yuchen's background which was extremely good, also with the Old Madam protecting her, even if Yujing was so angry, she dared not do anything to Yuchen. However, Yuxi was different. She used to see her hide herself before, but now she dared to ignore her. How could she tolerate this? She rushed forward and grabbed Yuxi's arm, "You're not allowed to go."

Yuxi also became angry as she watched Yujing grabbing her arm, "What are you doing?"

While they were in Magnolia Courtyard, Yujing had to be patient because she was afraid of Teacher Song. Since she was unable to go there nowadays, why should she be like that anymore? She said with a smile, "What do you say I will do, you, the bearer of ill luck?" After that, she gave Yuxi a strong push.

Yuxi didn't put on guard against Yujing as Yujing suddenly went crazy and pushed her. There was water on top of the blue brick just behind her. She slipped on it and fell to the ground.

Everyone was stunned.

Yuxi cried in pain on the ground while Yujing only snorted coldly, "That's a pretty good one." After saying this, she went back to her courtyard without paying more attention to Yuxi.

Yunqi and Yunbo were terrified. Yunqi said with great courage, "Miss, let's go and see how Fourth Miss is doing. " Yujing could not see what she had done right now, but the two maids knew clearly that Yuxi was not the same girl who had been easily bullied by her family before. Moreover, the Old Madam's attitude towards the Fourth Miss had also changed. This time their Miss would definitely not going to get good results.

Yujing snorted coldly, "What is there to see? It was just a push, and it won't kill her." Her attitude was not without reason. At the beginning of the year, she pushed Yuxi down the steps. Yuxi fell to the ground and just wiped her bloody arm. As a result, Yujing was scolded with only two sentences, and nothing else.

Yunqi looked at Yujing's attitude, and became more worried. It was merely that Yujing had a very bad temper. If you irritated her too much, she would grab something and tried to kill you. Therefore, Yunqi became more worried. In the end, she didn't dare to continue persuading Yujing.

Mama Shen was the first to react by rushing to Yuxi's side and anxiously asked, "Miss, what's wrong with you?"

Yuxi's other body parts were fine, but one of her leg were particularly painful, "Mama Shen, my leg hurt." Her foot were probably sprained.

Mama Shen wanted to lift and carry Yuxi up, but somehow she accidentally touched her injured leg. Yuxi immediately painfully cried, "The pain is killing me. It won't work this way."

Mama Shen cried out to Hongshan, who was standing foolishly on one side, "Go find Madam and tell her that Miss' leg is injured." Then she turned to Yuxi, "Miss, please endure, the doctor will come in a minute."

With this situation, Hongshan couldn't care less for her image, as she ran to the main courtyard.

Mama Shen saw Yuxi, who screamed when she touched her, and thought for a moment and ordered nearby maids, "Go and bring over the soft couch." Since she couldn't hold her, then she could only carry her back.

Qiu Shi was talking to her stewardess when she heard Hongshan came over. Seeing Hongshan came in with red eyes, she hurriedly asked, "What's wrong?"

Hongshan quickly answered, "Please, Madam, can you get a doctor for our Miss?"

Qiu Shi was shocked, "What's happened? She was fine just now. How come such big thing happened to her?"

In a few words, Hongshan explained the conflict happened just now to Qiu Shi.

Hearing this, Qiu Shi was furious that Yujing had became more and more domineering. However, rather than looking into Yujing's responsibility regarding the conflict, she immediately sent for a doctor and rushed to Rose Courtyard to see Yuxi.

When Yuxi saw Qiu Shi, she embraced her and cried, "Aunt, my leg hurt so much. Aunt, is my leg broken? Aunt, am I going to be crippled?" She used to hide and cried when she was wronged, but now she was no longer stupid. If she felt wronged, she had to say it out. She would stop crying under the covers.

When the maids and the old women around her heard such a mournful sound of weeping, their hearts were filled with bitter feelings. While, Moju and Motao just directly cried.

Qiu Shi hugged her and said, "Nonsense, the doctor will certainly cure you. Bear with me. The doctor will come soon."

Yuxi cried herself hoarse, when the doctor finally came. The doctor, who was good at treating bone injuries in the capital, examined Yuxi's leg and said, "The girl has sprained her muscles."

Qiu Shi asked, "Doctor, I heard that this kind of injury need one hundred days to heal, does this mean the child has to stay in bed for three months?"

The doctor looked at Yuxi's eyes, which were as red as rabbits, as if they were asking him to appease her, "No, the girl just twisted her muscles. Not actually hurting them or broken any bones. So, don't worry."

"Ah..." A shrill cry resounded three li (an ancient Chinese measurement for lenght, approximately 500m) away, making the birds on top of the trees fluttered and flied away disorderly. Hearing this sad cry, the people in Rose Courtyard were all feeling wretched in their hearts.

Qiu Shi looked at the fainted Yuxi and felt very worried, "Doctor, didn't you say it would be alright?"

The doctor also didn't think Yuxi was faking. The young misses from large families were all very delicate, so it was normal for them not to be able to bear such pain and it was not even surprising for them to faint. "Don't worry, Madam. The girl passed out because of pain and will be fine when she wakes up."

When Yuxi woke up, she saw her left foot was wrapped up like a zongzi (glutinous rice dumpling), so she grabbed Moju who was sitting by the bed and asked, "How is my leg?"

Moju hurriedly answered, "Miss, don't worry. The doctor said as long as you take medication for your injured leg muscles, you will only need to take a good rest for 2 days only."

Yuxi looked at her own leg and suddenly asked, "Then, what did Grandmother said?" If Yujing was not taught a lesson this time, she would never let this matter dropped.

Moju also hated Yujing, "The Old Madam had locked Second Miss up in the family Buddhist temple and ordered her to copy Buddhist scriptures."

First, Concubine Rong nearly cause Yuxi lost her life, now Yujing came to provoke her. She really hate them. However, it was impossible for her to deal with them now. Not to mention, she didn't have the ability to do so, she also didn't dare to do anything with Mama Shen and Hongshan beside her. Ah~ she was too weak. She wanted revenge but had no ability. She had lived a lifetime in vain.

Qiu Shi was also quite furious about this incident. She thought that the Old Madam's punishment was too light. If Yujing bullied Yuchen, she didn't believed the Old Madam would just punish her by copying Buddhist scriptures only.

Mama Li felt that this was still good. At least this time, Yujing was locked up in their family Buddhist temple. Last time, if she had to say, the situation with Yujing was without pain or itching (Chinese idiom : not getting to any matter of substance). "Madam, our top priority right now is the piece of meat in Concubine Rong's stomach." Concubine Rong had been favoured so much these few years. This time, Concubine Lian had managed to snatch some of the favours with so much difficulties. If Concubine Rong gave birth to a son, she would definitely rise up once more and became more arrogant.

Qiu Shi shook her head and said, "We could not get involve in this matter." Deep down, she also hoped that Concubine Rong would not be able to retain the child, but she could not do it. There were too few children in the official residence, and every one of them was valued by the Old Madam.

Mama Li sighed in her heart. Her master was too kind and always worried about the Old Madam. She could not do anything.

In the evening, Qiu Shi went to Rose Courtyard to visit Yuxi. When she arrived there, she saw Yuxi lying on the bed reading a book. She was so absorbed that she didn't even noticed that Qiu Shi had came into her room.

Qiu Shi felt somewhat sorry for her as she said, "You should have a good rest since you just injured your leg, but you're reading books instead."

Yuxi shook her head and replied, "I can't sleep anyway, so I might as well do some reviews on books I've learnt. Otherwise, when Teacher Song comes back for spot checks during class, I will have to suffer the consequences."

Qiu Shi was somewhat surprised, "Why do you need to go to school when your leg is already like this? Just ask Teacher Song for leave of absence."

Yuxi said with a smile, "I just hurt my leg. It does not interfere with me listening to lectures and writing." It won't get in the way of her listening in class like this, but she wouldn't be abled to finish her homework. However, she felt that Teacher Song would not be so harsh to her just because of this.

Qiu Shi touched Yuxi's head, with her heart filled with mixed feelings.

Yuxi looked at Qiu Shi's face and said, "Aunt, she gave me a cut on my head last year, bruised my arm at the beginning of the year, and now she twisted my leg. I wonder if Second Sister will kill me next time." These matters were nevertheless told by Moju. She didn't remembered any of these at all. Otherwise, she wouldn't have spend twenty years of her past life being unguarded against Yujing.

After hearing Yuxi's words, Qiu Shi felt terrible in her heart. "You don't have to worry. The Old Madam has locked up Second Girl in the Buddhist temple. This time around, she has certainly been taught a lesson."

Yuxi said all these not to gain sympathy, but for a purpose, "Aunt, I want a strong servant girl, preferably the one being bought from outside." If she had to choose one from among the children of the family servants, because of some misgivings, it was estimated that the maid wouldn't dare to touch a hair on Yujing. If she bought a maid from outside, hold on to her and trained her herself, the maid would be very obedient to her.

Qiu Shi hesitated, but under Yuxi's pleading, she finally agreed, "When you meet the right one, you can redeem her. Aunt will send you the maid life contract in due course."

Yuxi was busily nodding. Only by holding the other person's life contract in her hand, tantamount to her controlling that person's life and fighting power. That person was completely hers.

Chapter 27 : A Good Student With Broken Body But Firm Spirit

On her way back, Qiu Shi felt strange and asked, "What does Yuxi meant? Why do we need to buy maid from outside?"

Mama Li answered with a smile, "The relationship between maids in the residence is very intertwined and complicated that it is better to go outside and find a new maid with innocent life experience. That way, you can handle her easily in the future." With prior murder attempt by Concubine Rong and frequent humiliation by Second Miss, Fourth Miss must had really hated both of them. She was no longer the meek child of the past and Mama Li didn't know what Fourth Miss would do. She sometimes felt unimaginable that Fourth Miss had changed so much after she was cured from her illness.

Yuxi's feet were relieved of swelling the next day, proving the doctor's medicine was indeed really good. However, because the doctor told her to lie in bed for a few days to fully recover, all the maids and old women around her wouldn't let her get out of bed. Yuxi was thinking of going to school the next day, so she asked Mama Shen to find four strong old women to carry her to Magnolia Courtyard tomorrow.

Mama Shen tried to persuade Yuxi, "Miss, studying is important, but currently, your leg situation is much more important. It's not too late for you to go once your leg is completely heal."

Yuxi replied, "One day of teaching by Teacher Song is equal to four or five days by other teachers. Do Mama think I can keep up with her when my leg is completely heal?" She wouldn't be able keep up with her homework for one day, let alone for several days. It was not easy for her to get this chance so, she won't give up that easily.

Moju anxiously said, "Miss, now you can't walk with your legs. You can't also listen to teaching when you go to class!"

Yuxi couldn't help laughing and said, "I hurt my leg, not my head nor my hands, so why can't I listen to lectures in class?" For her servants, it was best for her to lie on soft couch rather than walking or carrying things.

Old Madam Han and Qiu Shi did not oppose Yuxi's decision. For them, it was a good thing that children were willing to make progress where adults usually would try to stop them.

The next day, Yuxi was carried to Magnolia Courtyard.

Teacher Song came back to the residence in the morning, so, she did not know about Yuxi's leg injury. When she heard Yuxi being carried over, she immediately went out. As she just saw Mama Shen holding Yuxi on top of the chair, she moved forward and asked, "Fourth Miss, what happened to your legs?"

Yuxi explained somewhat sheepishly, "Teacher, I accidentally sprained my foot yesterday. Please forgive me, Teacher. The doctor told me not too move so much, so I can't salute Teacher in return." Teacher Song could easily asked others the reason behind her injury, but it would not come out from her own mouth.

Teacher Song took an unexpected look at Yuxi. She had been teaching for so many years, and those girls who couldn't stand her teaching method, would use various reasons to escape, such as illness or injury. It was the first time that a student brought her injury to class. "In this case, you should take good care of it. Why do you still come to school?"

Yuxi said, "I'm afraid I could not keep up with my studies. Furthermore, I just hurt my leg, but it would not interfere with me listening to lectures. It just that I won't be able to finish the homework assigned by Teacher. However, when my leg is finally heals, I will definitely make up for them." It was okay for her to recite lessons, but she couldn't write too many words.

Teacher Song's look was good as she said, "That's not a problem."

During class, Teacher Song did not prevent Yuxi from memorizing the text because of her leg injury. Fortunately, Yuxi did not slackened off despite her injury, otherwise she would have to be beaten to death. Speaking of which, she had already been hit once.

In the middle of the break, when Moju saw Teacher Song left the class, she immediately rushed into the class like an arrow. Looking at Yuxi packing, she hurriedly asked, "Miss, does your leg hurt?"

Yuxi answered with a smile, "I'm fine." It was just like usual time in class, except that she had to write slowly this time.

As Yuxi thought of this, she asked Yuchen, "Third Sister, can I borrow your notes?" She wrote too slow till she couldn't keep pace with Teacher Song.

Yuchen nodded with a smile, "Okay, I'll give it to you after class." Because Yuxi went to school with an injury, she was very satisfied with her. Yuxi's behaviour proved that the Miss of the residence was not so weak.

After class, Teacher Song said to Yuxi, "At noon you can rest in the next room. No need for you to go back and forth."

Old woman Ding hesitated for a moment, then she whispered to Teacher Song, "At the beginning of the year, when Fourth Miss had smallpox, Old Madam Han had called off the doctor who treated her halfway. People in the residence said that Fourth Miss had a hard life but despite that, she would not die easily anyway."

Teacher Song asked, "Tell me, what's going on?"

Old woman Ding repeated the information she had learned, "The Fourth Miss used to be weak and cowardly. When she was being bullied, she didn't say a word. However, after being cured from smallpox, her temperament changed greatly. This is also why the information we got was so different from the actual situation."

Teacher Song's expression didn't looked good, "Unexpectedly, there is exist an elder with this much bias." For the sake of a grandson, an elder could even ignore a granddaughter's life. This kind of elder was really terrifying.

Old woman Ding was actually worried. The Third Miss grew up with the Old Madam. It wouldn't be great if she learnt on how to deal with others from Old Madam Han. "Ma'am, the Third Miss is one in a million in term of looks and talent. With that kind of grandmother, I'm afraid that she will also be affected."

Teacher Song shook her head and said, "The Third Miss is still young. Even if she is influenced by Old Madam Han, it is still limited. As long as I teach her well, there will be no problem. But Fourth Miss... " After a short pause, she asked softly, "Did she knew about the doctor or not?" The reason why she asked this question was that some servants would help hide this from their masters.

Old woman Ding replied, "Of course she knew. I heard from an old woman servant said that the day when the doctor did not come was the day when Fourth Miss woke up." Even if Fourth Miss was ill and unconscious at that time, someone would certainly have told her afterwards.

Teacher Song felt into a deep thought.

Old woman Ding added, "Ma'am, after the Fourth Miss was well, the Old Madam sent out her mama, who was left by her biological mother to her. Now the mama of the Rose Courtyard and a maid close to her are both the Old Madam's people."

Teacher Song's expression slightly changed. She felt that the Old Madam Han's behaviour went just too far. "How did Fourth Miss settled down her former mama?" Looking at Yuxi's behaviour, she wouldn't ignore her former mama's situation.

Old woman Ding ruefully said, "The baozi (steamed stuffed bun) made by this mama were delicious, so Fourth Miss opened a snack shop for her. It is said that the business is very good, and now it can earn thirty to forty taels of silver a month! I heard that all the silvers were given to Fourth Miss." In name, it was a snack shop for Fourth Miss' former mama. However, in reality, it was to earn private money for herself.

Teacher Song said in a low voice, "After hearing what you said, I actually can't see through the Fourth Miss at all."

Old Madam Ding also felt that Yuxi had frightened her a bit, "Yes, it's really not easy for a child to behave so calmly after being informed of such unfair things." Her Master's family was also precocious, but not as horrible as the Fourth Miss'.

Teacher Song also thought Yuxi was a little premature, but if she thought about what had happened to her, it was not hard for her to understand. "Judging from the way she handled her former mama's matter, it shows that she still had a good heart."

At this time, Yuxi was not aware that Teacher Song and old woman Ding were talking about her. As in this moment, she was just woke up. Her afternoon nap was not long, only for half an hour, then she woke up at this point.

She usually wrote big characters if she had free time after taking a nap, but she couldn't do it today, so she changed it to recite her lessons. However, no matter how low her voice was it still could be heard and seen by the maids in the courtyard.

When old woman Ding heard Yuxi's recitation, she asked Teacher Song, "Will Ma'am accept Fourth Miss as a student?" Although Yuxi's performance was very good, she still thought Yuxi's mind had too many ideas.

Teacher Song didn't answer her question. Yuxi was not poor in talent and worked very hard, but there was still a big gap between her and Yuchen.

Yuxi's injured leg took ten days to completely heal.

Today after class, Teacher Song didn't immediately leave but instead asked Yuchen and Yuxi to stay. Then, she gave both of them timetables.

Yuxi looked at the timetable, which read : learning musical instruments in the early morning; learning calligraphy and listening to lectures in the morning; In the afternoon, studied chess and painting.

Teacher Song looked at Yuxi and said, "Fourth Miss, which musical instrument are you going to learn?" Third Miss had learned the qin, so she didn't need to choose, but Yuxi had never touched any musical instrument.

Yuxi shook her head, "Teacher, I don't know which instrument to choose." She had never gotten in touched with musical instruments in her previous life, so she would not choose them carelessly. She would rather have Teacher Song helped her chose them.

Teacher Song thought for a moment, then said, "Then choose the guzheng!"

Yuxi was not really that interested in musical instruments, but since Teacher Song wanted to teach her, she would certainly not refusing. People like them, even if they were not proficient in music theory, had to know at least something about it.

Yuchen said, "Teacher, I want to learn to play flute again." It was too monotonous to learn only the qin. She had to learn at least two subjects to get good at it.

Teacher Song shook her head and said, "Master the art of qin first, then you can learn other musical instruments." Too many skills wouldn't pressure the body (Chinese idiom : It was good to learn so many skills), but they must also be equally proficient.

Yuchen nodded.

Before she left, Teacher Song said, "Starting from today, you will write one hundred characters every day. You don't have to give it to me after you've written it." This meant that writing them was entirely voluntary, but she didn't worry about them being lazy.

Chapter 28 : Choices

After Yuxi returned to her courtyard, she wrote a hundred characters, then sat down in her chair and did not speak for a long time. Nobody knew what she was thinking.

Only Moju was brave enough to interrupt her, "Miss, it's time for supper."

Only then did Yuxi pulled out from her thoughts and asked, "What did you make today?"

Moju was somewhat disappointed after hearing Yuxi's reply.

When Yuxi arrived at Magnolia Courtyard the next day, she was surprised to see Teacher Song air punching in the yard. She did not want to disturb her so she asked old woman Ding, who was waiting by the sidelines with a towel, "What is Teacher Song doing?"

Old woman Ding said with a smile, "This is wuqinxi (lit. Five Animals Play). Ma'am insists on keeping fit every day. After years of persistence, she seldom falls ill even till this day."

Unbeknownst to Yuxi, Teacher Song was seriously ill a few years ago. After her illness was cured, she felt that her health was not as good as it was before. So, later on, she learned this set of wuqinxi and had been sticking to it all these years.

Yuxi's eyes brightened up when she heard the words 'keeping fit'.

Seeing the yearning in Yuxi's eyes, old woman Ding smiled and said, "If you want to learn wuqinxi, you must persist day by day. If you cannot persist, it won't work very well."

Yuxi earnestly looked at Teacher Song practicing without saying a word.

After Teacher Song had done practicing wuqinxi, she went inside her room and cleaned herself up. At that time, Yuchen also arrived. Yuxi looked with a red face at the servant girl behind Yuchen who was holding a qin. She didn't even think about bringing a guzheng. Well, actually, she didn't owned one either.

The musical instrument room was Yuxi's former resting room. As soon as she entered, she saw two tables with a qin and a guzheng on them.

Shishu went up to one of the table and took the qin on top of it. Then, she wiped the table and chair. Finally, she placed the qin that they brought on top of the table.

As if Yuxi hadn't seen what the maid was doing, she went to the table with the guzheng and plucked a few strings, making a harsh sound.

Yuchen frowned slightly.

When Teacher Song entered the room, she saw the qin in Yuchen's hand at a glance. The surface of the qin was painted with black and red paint, and also with broken lines of plum blossom and snake belly interwoven. While at its back, there were broken lines of ox hairs. She asked, "Is this Du Yao (lit. Solitute and seclusion) ?"

Yuchen nodded and said, "Ma'am, this is a unique relic left by my mother."

Teacher Song nodded her head and said, "Then you should learn the qin well and be worthy of it when you can play exciting musics in the future."

Yuxi had never heard of Du You. Despite that, she knew that this qin must had been very valuable, otherwise she would not have seen the surprise look on Teacher Song when she took a glance at it. Then, Yuxi looked at the clothes made of brocade on Yuchen. She had never worn clothes made of brocade in her whole life. Thus, she didn't want to be compared with her, as it would only make her felt depressed.

Yuchen had been studying qin for more than a year, so, it was not a problem for her to play it fluently. However, after she finished playing a piece of music, Teacher Song commented, "Well, it's very good, and your technique is quite skilled, but it is still lacking. So, you need to practice more." This was the outcome of learning the skills first, then the others later on.

After instructing Yuchen, Teacher Song went over to teach Yuxi. Since Yuxi had no foundation in playing guzheng, it was essential for her to be taught from the basics, "When playing, use the four fingers of the right hand to pluck the strings." After giving out a demonstration, Teacher Song continued, "While, your left hand should be on the left side of the guzheng column. Your left hand job is to adjust the tension and controlling the change of the string sound. This is for adjusting the pitch and perfect the melody."

Then she talked about fingering methods when playing the guzheng, "The right hand has hook, support, split, pick, wipe, pick, pick, beat, shake, pinch, etc., the left hand has press, slide, rub, tremble..."

Listening to these, Yuxi felt so dizzy that she didn't know what she had learned the whole morning in class.

Because of their tight schedule, both Yuchen's and Yuxi's maids send their morning meal directly to Magnolia Courtyard, where the two had their meal.

Yuchen looked at the eighteen dishes placed on her desk, then at the six dishes placed on Yuxi's desk, and said, "Fourth Sister, let's eat them together!"

Yuxi shook her head and answered, "No need." Yuchen had a rich variety of dishes, but the amounts were relatively small. She was afraid that Yuchen would not have enough to eat if she ate some of her dishes. This would surely make the Old Madam came over to settle accounts with her.

Yuchen felt a little apologetic at Yuxi, but she also knew that if she said too much, Yuxi would surely be disgusted with her.

The morning course was not bad for Yuxi as she could understand it. Unfortunately, for the afternoon class, it was the opposite. She had never came into contact with chess and painting, while Yuchen had been studying them for more than a year. The two people were not on the same starting line, but Teacher Song still spoke quickly, causing Yuxi to complain bitterly in her heart.

After class, Teacher Song gave Yuxi two basic books, "This is the qipu (a record of a Chinese chess match), and picture album. Take it back and have a good look." Learning chess depended not only on talent, but also acquired practice.

Yuxi took the two books and said sincerely, "Thank you, Teacher." Added with music score book, she now had three books to study.

Back in the Rose Courtyard, Yuxi sat in a chair and recalled today's events. She could not help herself but sigh with emotion. Yuchen studied the Four Arts as if she were playing. However, Yuxi seemed to be climbing a mountain, especially when it came to guzheng, which could be said she was totally ignorant of. Fortunately, she had been working hard all her life and had a lot of ability to endure it. If it was someone else, she would have been tired of learning long time ago.

When Yuru was in the main courtyard, her face changed as she heard that Teacher Song had started teaching the Four Arts. After she returned to her own courtyard, she ordered Zhuxuan, "Go and inquire if Teacher Song has really started teaching the Four Arts."

Zhuxuan actually heard the news yesterday evening, but she hid it from Yuru, afraid that Yuru would feel uncomfortable once she heard it. Now, she couldn't hide it anymore.

When Yuru heard the news was true, her fingernails pierced her palms as she clenched her hands. "Why didn't you tell me that Teacher Song will teach Four Arts from the beginning? Why didn't you also tell me that she will teach them now?" She thought Teacher Song only teached Four Arts to her recognized student only. She did not know that she would teach them after a month. If she had known earlier, she would have insisted even if she knew it would be very difficult for her.

Zhuxuan spoke out her guess, "I think Teacher Song must have taken a fancy of the Third Miss and Fourth Miss." This meant that Teacher Song was going to accept both Yuxi and Yuchen as her students.

Yuru shook her head and said, "Impossible. Teacher Song is only willing to teach one student at a time. It is impossible for her to make an exception for Yuxi." Yuxi also didn't have such a big reputation for Teacher Song to make any exception for.

Zhuxuan gently advised, "Miss, whatever Teacher Song does, it has nothing to do with us." They were no longer qualified and for them to argue over this matter was meaningless acts.

Hearing this, Yuru immediately felt discouraged.

When learning something, sometimes it was not enough to rely on hard work alone. For example, Yuxi who had been studying for less than half a month, still played a disturbing noise. Most importantly, she didn't even know what she was playing, which made her felt too ashamed.

Moju saw Yuxi's depressed look and tried to comfort her by saying, "Miss, the music that the Third Miss played was so beautiful because she had a good qin. If Miss also had a good guzheng, Miss could also play beautiful music too."

Yuxi said as she went speechless, "This requires natural talent. It has nothing to do with whether the musical instrument is good or not."

Moju saw that Yuxi had gotten angry, made her did not dare to say more. These two days, her Master's look had not been looking good, presumably because of Third Miss' performance which was too good to be beaten.

The next day, Yuxi went to see Teacher Song after class. She looked depressed as she said, "Teacher, I don't want to learn guzheng."

With Yuchen in the background, Teacher Song knew that Yuxi was under great pressure. However, she was surprised that Yuxi would give up. She always gave her the feeling that she was strong and she would not sound out the difficulties and retreated to avoid defeat (Chinese idiom : withdraw or quit after learning of the difficulties, hardships, etc. Involved) . So, Teacher Song said, "To learn something needs a lot of perseverance and strong willpower. You can't give up just because you can't learn it well."

Yuxi shook her head and said, "Teacher, although chess and painting are difficult, but I have also starting to get a hold of them after learning these days. But I have learned guzheng for such a long time, and yet, I still don't know what I have learned. Teachee, I heard that learning music depends on one's talent. Without talent, even with perseverance and willpower, it is still useless." What she really meant was, she had no talent for music.

Teacher Song looked at Yuxi and asked, "Do you want to give up halfway?"

Yuxi corrected Teacher Song's words, "Teacher, it is not that I give up halfway, but I really don't have the talent in this aspect. Even if I stick to it, it will be just a waste of time." Yes, she gave it up so easily. It was because, she had no talent on one hand. While on the other hand, she felt it was useless to learn musical instruments. Since it was useless, it was better to use this time to learn something more useful.

Teacher Song then said, "You even dare to argue with me. You really have a lot of guts."

When did Yuxi had a lot of guts? She was being pressured. "Teacher, I can't keep on learning it. I don't know why, but when I was practicing music in my yard, all my maids and old women wished they could plug their ears with cottons."

When Teacher Song heard this, she could not stop herself from laughing.

Seeing that Teacher Song still didn't give any positive respond, Yuxi said, "Teacher, Third Sister learned this two years earlier than I did. She's a quick learner. I am afraid I will not be able to keep up with her progress if this continues. Without learning music theory, I would have more time to spend on other lessons."

When Teacher Song heard this, she finally nodded and said, "If you don't want to learn it, then forget about it." Judging from Yuxi's performance these days, she could see that Yuxi really didn't have any talent in this art. She only teached chess and painting twice to her, and Yuxi could easily understand them. However, when it came to guzheng, even if she taught her more than 10 times, it was still useless.

Yuxi felt ashamed of herself.

Then, Teacher Song smiled and said, "Although you have no talent in music theory, you have a good grasp of color. As long as you study hard, you can certainly learn painting well." Qualification was very important, so was talent. Yuxi's qualification was very good, and she also had the talent in painting. Teacher Song didn't want Yuxi to waste it.

Yuxi was somewhat ashamed and said, "Thank you, Teacher." After a pause, she added, "Teacher, I want to learn wuqinxi from you."

Teacher Song felt somewhat strange, so she asked, "Why do you want to learn wuqinxi?"

Yuxi answered, "I have been in poor health since I was a child and I often get sick. Mama Ding said that after learning wuqinxi, one would not get sick frequently and no need to take bitter medicine anymore."

Teacher Song looked at Yuxi, who was ruddy in complexion, and asked suspiciously, "Do you often get sick?" Looking at Yuxi's appearance, she didn't looked like a sick seedling.

"I used to get sick a lot, but now I feel much better," Yuxi answered sheepishly.

Teacher Song kind of understand her situation, but she won't respond to Yuxi's request for now. Instead, she said, "Let's talk about this again next year!"

Yuxi did not know why she had to wait until next year. Now it was already the eleventh month of lunar year and New Year would arrive in another month. Well, came to think of it, how hard was it for her to wait for two months more.

Chapter 29 : Nightmare

Old Madam Han soon learned that Yuxi had given up learning music theory, and immediately ordered someone to call over Yuxi.

Yuxi went to the main room and did the greeting ritual in an orderly way.

Old Madam Han laid down the Buddha beads on the yellow pear wood table beside her. Then, she slowly turned her head, looked at Yuxi, and asked, "Why didn't you tell us that you have just made up your mind not to learn music theory?"

In the face of Old Madam Han, Yuxi didn't dare to speak nonsense, nor dare to play dumb, "I've learned it for several days, but it still doesn't even enter any aperture of my head (Chinese idiom : Can't understand at all). Today, I've told my teacher about this, and she said that I have no talent in music theory. Since it is a waste of time to continue studying without talent, I will stop learning it."

Old Madam Han looked at Yuxi, and it seemed like she could see through her eyes, "Is this really the case?"

Yuxi was not overwhelmed by the Old Madam's imposing manner. She, who have died once, what could she be afraid of? "If Grandmother doesn't believe it, Grandmother can ask Teacher Song."

Old Madam Han gave a cold hum, "You have a lot of nerve." Without her consent, she, Yuxi, dared not learn the qin without authorization. Her bravery had gone to heaven. This time she must be severely punished.

Yuxi gave a wry smile, "Grandmother, it's not that granddaughter has a lot of nerve, but I really can't learn this. Every time I took music lessons, it became hard for me." Seeing the Old Madam's ugly face, she hurriedly said, "However, teacher said that I have talent in painting, so, let me learn to paint well." There were many similarities between painting and embroidery. It was also for this reason that her painting skill was extremely good. However, she did not intend to spend too much energy on this skill. The reason was very simple. No matter how well she learnt it, there was really no real use for her surname when she was in trouble.

Old Madam Han's face softened a bit, "Since this idea is your first offence, copy Lessons For Women three times and send them to me a year later." The time limit she gave was still quite long. It was mainly because Yuxi had a heavy learning task, so, she had to put a long time limit.

Yuxi had no objection.

After Yuxi went out of the room, Old Madam Han leaned toward the side at Yuchen and said, "Chen-er, you can't act like Fourth Girl." Although Yuxi studied very hard, she did not expect much from her. Yuxi, in particular, was often good at advocating, which made her unhappy.

Naturally, Yuchen would never act like Yuxi, because under the guidance of Teacher Song these days, her skill in qin had made great progress. With a mentor like Teacher Song, she would only determined to work harder and would not give up the chance to learn.

Compared with Old Madam Han's dissatisfaction, Qiu Shi was much calmer. Hearing Yuxi's explanation, she nodded and said, "If you can't learn, then don't learn. If you are forced to learn, you will only suffer." In fact, according to her personal opinion, what were the use of art of qin, chess, calligraphy and painting even if you had mastered them? As long as the girl learned needlework and housekeeping, that was enough.

Yuxi said with a smile, "Aunt's abacus is very good, if Aunt does not mind, I want to learn from Aunt!"

Qiu Shi was not good at scheming against each other, but she had a good way of managing common affairs. Not to mention that her dowry had increased several times over the years, it was said that under her care, the residence could now make ends meet every year. Before, the residence used to run a deficit every year and suffered huge losses.

Yuxi used to learn housekeeping with Qiu Shi in her previous life. At that time, she began to think that she was going to marry the second son of the Qiu family, so she only learned some simple things. When she got married to Jiang Hongjin, she was always in a state of worry and fear. Why else would she want to continue learning these things for? But now, it was necessary to learn from an example of a good housewife was. Being a good housewife was much more practical than the art of qin.

Qiu Shi cheerfully said, "If you want to learn from me, I will naturally teach you, but you are still young. It will not be late to learn it in a few years."

Liuyin came and said, "Madam, Concubine Lian is not feeling well. She requested a doctor."

Qiu Shi looked very happy as she said, "Go and ask Dr. Li to see her."

Yuxi felt Qiu Shi's attitude was very strange. It didn't matter whether Concubine Lian was ill or not. So, why was her aunt look so happy instead?

Soon, Hongshan did an enquiries on the matter and immediately told Yuxi the information that she heard, "Miss, Concubine Lian is pregnant. The doctor said that she had been pregnant for three months."

Concubine Lian had smartly hidden this matter deep enough till it reached 3 months.

Seeing Yuxi didn't said a word, Hongshan continued, "Miss, Concubine Rong hasn't yet reach there months pregnancy yet." This meant that Concubine Lian's pregnancy happened much earlier than Concubine Rong.

Yuxi suddenly understood the reason behind Qiu Shi's happy look. Perhaps her Eldest Aunt already knew about Concubine Lian's pregnancy, and helped her hid it from the public. Yuxi let out an insincere laugh, thinking of what would Concubine Rong feel once she heard this news.

When Concubine Rong heard the news of Concubine Lian's pregnancy, she was so angry that she smashed most of the furnitures inside the room and scolded the old woman who served her, "Why hasn't any news come out about such a big thing?" If Concubine Lian's child was also a boy, it would certainly affect her child's status.

A few confidants around Concubine Rong had been sold by the Old Madam. This new old woman was a bit lagged behind when it came to obtaining news. Concubine Rong had both money and means to bring over the old woman servant to side with her if she wanted to. However, this old woman Feng had a very shallow foundation. She had no influence in the residence, and was not very clever. She always couldn't do things the way Concubine Rong wanted.

Old women Feng answered, "The news was just leaked today. There was no wind before."

This matter made Concubine Rong's teeth itched. She believed that this situation was most likely Qiu Shi's sinister plot.

Old woman Feng comforted her, "Ma'am, you absolutely should not lose your temper. The most urgent thing now is to raise a good baby. As long as you give birth to a son, you will have to rely on him for the rest of your life."

When Concubine Rong heard this, the anger in her eyes gradually dissipated. She gently touched her belly and said, "You're right. Nothing is more important than the child in my belly."

When old woman Feng saw that Concubine Rong listening to her every words, she advised her, "This old servant would like to say something which is not pleasant for Ma'am to hear. Madam is currently trying to catch Ma'am's mistake. She wants to use it to end your life. So, at this time, we should be very careful." What she meant was for Concubine Rong not to strike a vicious blow on to Concubine Lian. Otherwise, Concubine Rong would be the one who got the worst of it.

After a long silence, Concubine Rong nodded and said, "My top priority right now is to give birth to a healthy child." They also had to make sure weither Concubine Lian's child would be a son or a daughter. If she was going to have a daughter, they did not need to do anything.

When the Old Madam knew about Concubine Lian's pregnancy, she was so happy. She send a lot of valuable medicinal materials and several valuable jewellries to Concubine Lian.

Mama Li was on guard against Concubine Lian when she got the news. It was because Concubine Lian was not only highly favored by the Duke Han but also valued by the Old Madam. If she gained enough power, she would pose a greater threat to her Master in the future.

While, Qiu Shi felt a lingering fear for Concubine Rong after listening to Mama Li's words. After muttering by herself for a moment, she finally said, "Now that both Concubine Lian and Concubine Rong are pregnant, they will not be able to serve the Lord Duke. I will arrange for 2 more people to serve him." Divided the favours using beauties.

Mama Li nevertheless said, "Madam, those persons should be chosen carefully." The concubine whom the Old Madam chose was not only beautiful but also resourceful and calculating. They could no longer pick people with only faces and no brains, as they used to pick.

Qiu Shi gave a brief nods.

The inner court's rivalry had nothing to do with Yuxi. She only needed to know the general trend in the residence. She picked up her unfinished handkerchief and continued embroidering it under the light. Since learning with Teacher Song, she had not done any embroidery for a long time.

Mama Shen said, "Miss is still young. There's no lack of time for you to embroider later on." In fact, Mama Shen was somewhat unable to make sense of Yuxi. If she learned to play qin well, she could use it to dazzle others in social gatherings. However, she rather practiced embroidery more, like she would become one of the embroidery ladies in the future.

Yuxi smilingly said, "Embroidery skill also needs time to hone. So, I'm going to take two quarters of an hour at noon to practice." Since, nowadays, there was less homework given and they were given more time for self-study.

Mama Shen saw that anymore persuasion would only become useless, so she decided to change the subject, "Miss, Third Miss has a study room, qin room and painting room. Should we also tidy up the side room to be used like her?" She hoped Yuxi would not differ too much from Yuchen.

Yuxi shook her head and said, "Not for the time being."

Mama Shen was puzzled, "Miss, why not use it for the time being?"

Yuxi looked at the direction of the main room and said, "Because I can't use it for the time being. And remember, don't compare me with my Third Sister in the future. I don't like it." From the start, both of them didn't stand on the same parallel line and to associate both of them too much would only make her uncomfortable.

Mama Shen didn't dared to speak anymore.

After writing daily hundred characters, Yuxi reviewed what she had learned in the daytime. Finally she took out her qipu and ordered, "Bring me my chess."

Among qin, chess, calligraphy and painting, the only thing Yuxi was willing to learn hard was chess. This was because when Teacher Song taught chess for the first time, she said that playing weiqi (or is widely known as Go game nowadays) could exercise people's calculation, thinking, memory, attention and endurance. Yuxi knew her weight. Although she had lived for a lifetime once, she was not particularly outstanding in all aspects. She could only study hard to get better.

Moju came over and said, "Miss, it's time to go to bed. Tomorrow you have to get up early!"

Yuxi was reluctant to put it down. She just got the taste of it. However, she had to follow her own schedule. If she disturbed the schedule for the next day, she would be in disordered.

Lying in bed, Yuxi couldn't help thinking about the unfinished chess game just now. However, since she was extremely tired to begin with, she finally felt asleep in a daze.

"Hu..." Yuxi sat up from the bed and looked at the familiar place, then breathed a sigh of relief. What a deuce! She dreamed that she was playing chess with Jiang Hongjin, and she had no room to fight back when facing him who approached her slowly. As a result, she lost miserably.

She didn't know what this dream meant, but she knew that the gap between her and Jiang Hongjin was too big. His methods, intelligence and scheming were all not bad. Her only advantage was that she had the first chance. If she wanted to stop falling into the situation of her previous life, she must start planning now.

Yuxi muttered to herself, "What's the first chance that I can use?"

After thinking for a long time, she thought of a person. This person was Jiang Hongjin's half brother, Jiang Hongfu, the eldest son of Jiang Wenrui with his late first wife. It was just that he was nine years old when he met an accident in the street market and died early.

Yuxi knows very little about Jiang Hongfu. After all, when she married into the Jiang family, Yu Shi already took charge of the Jiang residence as the new master. As a stepmother, Yu Shi certainly didn't want the servants to discuss about the first wife and her son. Yuxi only knew about this matter after she heard a drunk old servant of Jiang residence talked about Jiang Hongfu, saying that he was also a very intelligent child.

The enemy of her enemy was her friend. If Jiang Hongfu had not died early, Jiang Hongjin would not have a smooth road.

Yuxi calculated that Jiang Hongfu was eight years old this year, which meant that he would have an accident next year. It was also a coincidence that the day Jiang Hongfu died happened to be three days before her birthday, so she remembered it clearly. As long as she saved Jiang Hongfu on that day, everything should be different from her previous life.

After Yuxi understood this, it felt like a heavy burden had been lifted from her heart and soon made her fell asleep again.

Chapter 30 : New Year's Gift (1)

It snowed that day. White and flawless little snowflakes fluttered down from the sky like beautiful silver butterflies dancing lightly. Snow, fell more and more. Snowflakes flied all over the sky, like smoke, but not to be confused with smoke, like fog, but also not to be confused with fog. The whole world was shrouded with the vast snow.

In the cold winter months, the inside of house had been heated earlier. Yuxi sat in the warm room and looked inside the qipu. Studying the qipu had now become her best hobby, surpassing her former hobby - embroidery.

Moju quickly came in. Since she was cold, she didn't dare to get close to Yuxi. She said at the door, "Miss, Motao just now fell down and now she can't get up." The ground was frozen that Motao slipped while carrying the food box.

Yuxi said hurriedly, "Please go and get a doctor." Motao was one of the four maidservants of Yuxi who was the least cold-headed. She did things with a dull head on weekdays and had the weakest sense of existence. But this did not mean that Yuxi did not take care of Motao. On the contrary, she still attached great importance to Motao.

Moju nodded in response, "Miss, we still need to wait for breakfast." Motao had dropped all Yuxi's breakfast to the ground, so they had to get another one from the big kitchen. However, the main kitchen had to get an extra portion for that, which meant that breakfast would be done slower than usual.

Yuxi calculated the time for her to wait for the main kitchen to be done with it. She was sure going to be late. She then said, "Don't do it any more. Just bring anything that can be eaten from the kitchen." If she had a small kitchen, she wouldn't be in such trouble. However, this could only be considered. The residence only had a kitchenette for the Old Madam and Eldest Aunt, no one else.

After a quarter of an hour, the breakfast was delivered. Today morning breakfast was very simple, only baozi (steamed stuffed bun), mantou (steamed bread), and a bowl of millet porridge.

Yuxi was not a picky eater either. When she had done eating her breakfast, she was ready to go to Magnolia Courtyard.

On her way out, Mama Shen wanted Yuxi to wear another coat, but Yuxi stopped her, "I'm wearing a fur coat and it's not cold." She was now much stronger than before and did not need to be wrapped like a zongzi (sticky rice dumpling).

Mama Shen was unable to dissuade Yuxi, so she had to give up.

At the gate of Magnolia Courtyard, Yuxi saw Yuchen. Because it was extremely cold these two days, Yuchen had not come to learn qin early in the morning.

Yuchen was wearing a silver-white foreign satin sable fur cloak on the outside, and her head was covered by the cap of the cloak. When she entered the classroom, she took off her cloak, revealing the inside which was a knee length water red jacket with snow weasel furs and engraved with silver line.

Yuxi glanced at Yuchen's cloak, but her eyes fell on a kind of ice-cold emerald gourd bracelet on her wrist. Yuchen usually wore few jewelleries, but as long as she wore it, it must be a top-quality product, and it was basically not heavy. Yuxi only looked at the jewelry that Yuchen wore every time, which could make her gain a lot of insight.

Yuxi turned her head and looked at Shishu's guarded eyes. It felt really bad to be guarded like she was a thief. Before, she just ignored this feeling, but today she felt a bit irritated and said with a deliberate smile, "Third Sister, this bracelet of yours is really beautiful. Can you show it to me?"

葫芦 (hulu) / Gourd

By aroid, CC by 2.0 vis flickr

and pinkytoky (Good Luck Symbol – Hulu, the Calabash Gourd, February 8, 2018)

The gourd symbolised 'good fortune' and this gourd bracelet was made from old ice cold emerald. The six gourds on the bracelet were vivid in colour, crystal clear and full of vitality.

Yuxi looked at it and could not help but gasped in admiration, "It's beautiful."

Seeing this, Shishu hastily said, "This bracelet was given to my Miss by the Old Madam a few days ago." Everyone in the place knew what this statement meant.

When Moju heard this, her eyes burst into flames with anger.

There were certain things that you couldn't say just because you knew it. If you still said it, it would turn out to be something embarrassing. This time, Shishu really angered Yuxi. Yuxi looked at Shishu and said with a forced smile, "You don't know what you said, but you think I'm scheming for Third Sister's bracelets."

Shishu didn't expect Yuxi to speak so bluntly, so her face instantly turned stiff. She believed she was loved by the Old Madam and her Miss, but she was also a servant girl. How could she be compared with Fourth Miss?

Yuchen did not know why Yuxi suddenly launched an attack against Shishu and said with a smile, "It's not something valuable. If Fourth Sister like it, then I will give it to you."

Hearing this statement, made Yuxi felt that things of high value were like weeds on the roadside in the eyes of others. It was really uncomfortable. She smiled and said, "No, there are so many beautiful things in the world that I can't take them all for myself." Having said this, she handed the bracelet to Yuchen and lowered her head to sort out her books.

When Yuxi returned to the Rose Courtyard after class, Mama Shen said with a smile, "Miss, the New Year's gift from Master has arrived." Today was the eighteen days of the twelfth month of the lunar year, and this year's gift came at a really good time.

Yuxi immediately gave a respond, "Oh!". Although Han Jingyan was an official who always worked outside of the capital in her previous life, it did not hinder her admiration for him. Even back then, when she was wronged, she thought that as long as her father was in the residence, no one could bully her. Unexpectedly, Han Jingyan regarded her as nothing after his returned to the capital. Even when she was bullied by Wu Shi, he never cared. That was not all. Knowing that Jiang Family was a pit of fire, she still being pushed into it. Was this her biological father? She didn't know, but she thought of him as her enemy. Therefore, she had no more affection for Han Jingyan, a cold-blooded and ruthless father.

Mama Shen looked at Yuxi's expression, which was neither salty nor bland, and her heart thumped. It was like Yuxi did not care at all about Master negligence. Could this mean that Miss was not close with Master either? This was not good. "Miss, the Master has sent a lot of things this time."

Yuxi thought for a moment and asked, "If I remember correctly, my father has been in Hebei for five years and will be six years by next year. Will father comes back next year? "

Mama Shen smiled and said, "I heard that Master's achievements are excellent and will probably be promoted next year." If you wanted to be promoted, you would definitely not come back.

Yuxi was silent for a moment and then she asked, "Mama Shen, what kind of person is my stepmother?" Seeing that Mama Shen did not speak, she said, "If mama is not clear, just this time, let's inquire about it from the people who came back from Hebei."

Mama Shen looked a little uncomfortable.

Yuxi didn't say anything to her face, but she turned to let Hongshan inquire about Wu Shi. Hongshan had a wide range of connections, and Yuxi also gave her some money to take care of it. She soon got the news.

Hongshan had inquired about Wu Shi's basic situation and she told Yuxi about it later on.

After hearing what Hongshan said, Yuxi deliberately pretended to be dissatisfied and asked, "What else?" It took several taels of silvers to find out the number of wives and concubines his father had in Hebei and also the number of aunts and stepsiblings that she had. The news were too simple.

Hongshan said, "It is said that the Third Madam is strict in her household management. The household is well organized inside and outside, which is highly valued by Master." In fact, she had some worries. It could be seen from the news that the future mistress of the Third House was not a good person, which was very disadvantageous to her Miss.

Yuxi chuckled. It was good for Wu Shi to manage the family strictly, but those informers could not go so far as to give her these useless news. It should be that these people thought she gave less money. She inquired about Wu Shi's news just for show. She had been living with Wu Shi for several years in her previous life and was already very clear about her temperament.

Yuxi said to herself, "There are still many years to go. Don't worry." It was not until she was eleven that Wu Shi followed her father back to the capital. As soon as Wu Shi arrive in the residence, she fought with her Eldest Aunt for the right to manage the house. The two fought for several years. It was not until her niece, Qiu Yanfu designed Yuxi's Second Brother that she completely tore her Eldest Aunt's face.

Hongshan didn't hear clearly what Yuxi just said and asked, "Miss, what you're talking about?"

Yuxi looked up and returned to her usual look, "It's not a big deal to say that my stepmother is a powerful character. However, Grandmother the main person who could decides what happen in the residence." A few years were enough time for her to be ready. In her last life, she was stupid, but in this life, Wu Shi would never step on her again.

Meanwhile, Qiu Shi was looking at the New Year's gifts list sent from Hebei. After reading it, her face looked very ugly.

Mama Li noticed that Qiu Shi was not looking good, she hurriedly asked, "Madam, what's wrong?"

Qiu Shi handed the list to Mama Li said, "They sent several carts of things all the way, all of which were filled with worthless things. It's a good calculation to have won the title and not spend much money!" They did send things in a few carts, but if they added up the total values, they would only be up to two or three thousand taels.

After reading the list, Mama Li's look also turned bad, "This Wu Shi is going too far." The number of New Year's gifts increased, but unfortunately there were fewer and fewer valuable things.

Qiu Shi sneered, "She thinks everyone under the sun is a fool, and only she is the smart one!" Wu Shi didn't want to give up money, but still wanted a face. Didn't she knew that there was nothing cheap in this world?

Mama Li calmly said, "Madam, during assessment period on the third month next lunar year, Third Master has already been assigned as a tongzhi (an old word for government deputy prefect during Ming and Qing dynasty) for 6 years. If he has to go to an official trip to the reservoir again, we have to make him clear and also to the Old Madam that next year, we can't afford to use the public fund to pay for the trip expenses." When her Master married in, the Duke's official residence was in deficit every year. It took a lot of effort from her Master to make end met till today. The reason for her Master to work hard was not for the sake of Third Master (the original chinese text was 二老爷=Second Master, but isn't he called Third Master, the head of the Third House? This is confusing. However, for now I'll use the common title to refer Han Jiangyan).

Qiu Shi understood the meaning of Mama Li's statement, however, she was somewhat hesitant, "Do you mean to let the Old Madam uses her own money?" She was not a tight-fisted person. She had never thought of the Old Madam's money. It was just that she thought Wu Shi being so tight with money that she let the official residence to pay everything to dot, made Qiu Shi unwilling to continue paying for their expenses.

Mama Li said, "Madam, even if Wu Shi cannot carry it clearly, the Third Master is not a muddle headed person. I believe that Third Master must have let his confidant send money to the Old Madam and let the Old Madam help with the management. We have to borrow this incident to let the Old Madam knows Wu Shi's character." The Third Master was a son of a noble family. It was impossible for him not to know that they needed money to manage the residence. This money was certainly impossible for the official residence to easily put forth.

Qiu Shi had a headache, "If Wu Shi returns, this residence will not be quite again." Although she never met this Wu Shi, but by looking at the way she conducted things showed that they would not get along with each other.

Mama Li actually laughed. "Madam, don't 45worry. When Wu Shi returned, the first person she will see is not Madam, but the Third and Fourth Misses." Both of them were currently following Teacher Song's study. Even if they only learnt something superficial, it was still impossible for Wu Shi to suppress both girls.

Qiu Shi shook her head and said, "No matter how strong the Third and Fourth Girls are, they always depend on their brothers in the family. They can't stand up to Wu Shi."

Mama Li didn't argue with Qiu Shi either. Only time would prove it. However, she believed that the Third and Fourth Misses were definitely not ones who tolerated the sound of swallowing (Chinese idiom : to swallow insult and humiliation in silent). As long as Wu Shi returned to the capital, her good days would come to an end.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6M 471K 95
Sitting on the bed, I was waiting for my husband to arrive. It was our wedding Night. I rolled my toes as the visuals of him slowly touching my cheek...
25K 687 21
⋇⋆✦⋆⋇ ʜᴇʟʟᴏ!! Emi-san/chan here~✨🤭👹 𝘌𝘮𝘰𝘫𝘪 𝘐 𝘶𝘴𝘦 𝘢𝘴 𝘢 𝘴𝘪𝘨𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘪𝘵'𝘴 𝘮𝘦𝘩: 👹- DEMON/SIGN OF ME GOING CRAZY OR ABOUT TO BEA...
417K 16.9K 122
It all started when Princess Catheline married the dangerously attractive and recently crowned King of Anthreal, Xander. After their marriage, he ne...
72.1K 6.8K 60
" The darkness closed in around him, like a shroud of silence. Veeranshu's eyes fluttered open, and he was met with an unfamiliar ceiling. Groggily...