Forced Vows

By Two-Bibliophiles

"I'm wondering...where you go if you don't have work" I said coldly. "Why would you care?" he asked, his voic... More

Prologue
Author's note
Forced Vows
Goodnight
Going out
Changes
'Settling' in
Back again
Confused
Where he works
The note
Trying again- ok maybe not
First day at job
Trust Issues
How to nearly die
Too many emotions
Déjà vu
Exploring the river
Coffee and doughnuts
Tired of it all
Secret job and stuff
Amazing Ninja-work
Moving home
Getting Comfy
The morning after
The Dinner Party
Misunderstanding
Getting Answers- Pt 1
Getting Answers- Pt 2
Bad decisions galore
An Explanation
Update
Gunshots, tea and polite society
Stay
Conversation and conflict
Run

How I met your boss

16.3K 650 88
By Two-Bibliophiles

“I- I don’t know what you’re talking about” I squeaked, I had tried to keep my voice low but well, failed, very miserably.

 The look Evelyn was giving me was one of absolute doom. I glanced around the room wondering if by jumping out of the window I would have a higher rate of survival than being in the same room as him.

“Well, you know the head of a coffee shop or manager isn’t very hard to trick!” I squeaked, my sentences were all jumbled up. Evelyn was quiet, his face seemed to be set in stone, a dangerous glint stayed in his eyes. I knew he didn’t know what to say, if he said that what I was doing was dangerous he would give away too much... what else could he do except for pin me down with his glare?

He stood up towering over me yet again, he seemed to know how small that made me feel, I straightened up a little staring back as firmly as I could. I wouldn’t falter under those silver eyed, annoying glare of his. No I wouldn’t- I mean how bad could he really be? Evelyn wasn’t that scar-

“Do you bloody know how dangerous this is?” He yelled suddenly, the flash in his eyes growing, his hands automatically curling into fists. I subconsciously stepped back, in shock, my mouth dropping open.

“Well I-”

“You what Hazel? Tell me.” Evelyn hissed stepping forward, again I stepped back my eyes wide. “You don’t bloody know what you’re getting yourself into you bloody know that you stupid woman?” My mind went blank, no sarcastic retort about how of course I didn’t- came into my mind.

“Of course you bloody well don’t.” Evelyn yelled, his voice filling every nanometre of the room, I gulped. I didn’t really think this was the best moment to say anything. “But you know what Hazel?” Evelyn asked, his breath coming out ragged as if he had ran across a city. “Even if you knew what you were getting into. You would not bloody care.” Such a gentleman, even in such anger he only used the word bloody, I could see how much he was biting back other colourful language. “No. Of course not, it would only make you want to find out even more. Am I right?” I blinked wondering if this was a rhetorical question or not.

“Ye-es?” I saw his expression and quickly shook my head. “No. Of course not.” Perhaps that had been the required answer?  I felt as if it had been. Evelyn stepped forward yet again closing the gap between us, my back pressed onto cool glass, my eyes shifted down to where I could see a nerve racking drop. How strong exactly were these glass windows?

Rough fingers pushed my chin up and I found myself staring into Evelyn’s eyes again. I think I preferred looking down out of the window more.

“Do you know what you do Hazel?” He asked suddenly, his jaws clenched, his grip on my chin tightened alongside that. “Every day, I- your husband whether you like it or not- have to listen to you saying that bloody man’s name in your dreams.” My heart dropped, oh fantastic this was getting better and better. What next?

Evelyn’s voice had dropped into an almost whisper.

“You-” he paused as if biting back something “Neither of us wanted this” he said, his voice soft “you wanted that beloved Jack of yours, whatever his name is and I was not planning on getting married yet you act as if its only you- as if only you don’t want this” His grip tightened and his face inched closer still. “Yet still, I am the bad guy, and it’s you dreaming of- of a different future” Another way of saying of another man, just more...subtle “Don’t deny it.” His voice shook a little.

“Look. Evelyn- really I swear it’s not a nice dream.” I reassured saving my skin and doing the least to reassure him that I wasn’t as bad as he thought I was. Evelyn waited for me to continue. “You know this would be much more comfortable if you moved away and gave me space to breath.” Again no respond from Evelyn- until after a minute when he inched back a fraction as if moving back anymore would result in me jumping through the walls towards Jacob.

Oh jeez, thanks, I couldn’t ask for more. A grumpy voice in my head muttered.

“Look. I don’t know how you think things were between me and Jacob.” I said specifically, Evelyn’s eyes narrowed a little.

“I don’t care what his name is.” He snapped, it would have sounded so childish coming from another not as serious voice.

“But it didn’t end well,” I muttered, my eyes shifted away from him as I recalled that fateful day, in a way it was good that it happened right? I mean otherwise I would have married a guy who cheated on me. I snapped back into the present feeing Evelyn’s gaze still unfalteringly in me. “I had my boundaries...” I trailed off, boundaries as in not even a kiss. I guess he couldn’t take that. “And he had his expectations.” I didn’t want to go into detail about what had happened.

“I walked into him... erm... cheating on me I guess.” I shrugged. I couldn’t do anything about it I could only ignore the sadness I felt when I said that. But slowly, I was starting to care less and less, facing the actual reality of the relationship between us.

“So yeah... those were probably nightmares, it would be helpful if you chucked like a jug of water on me every time I do say that.” Evelyn examined me for a bit trying to see if I was lying or not. Cue imaginary knight in shining armour reassuring me that Jacob was an ugly piece of... poop anyway who didn’t deserve someone as kind, patient, sweet and peaceful as me.

The subject had shifted from his job thankfully.

He didn’t say anything for a couple of minutes before turning away and walking to the door “I’ll have you dropped off” he said finally “There’s no need for you to be here”

I stared at him as he left, my face set in a grim line.

The driver was a newbie at the job. He was a monkey of a man and his vocabulary consisted of grunt grunt and grunt. How I realized he was a noob? Obvious:

“Oh! I almost forgot!” I yelled when we neared the hotel’s street. He nearly crashed the car and curse grunted. I wacked my hand dramatically on my forehead so hard it hurt and bit in an ouch. “Shopping” I cried snapping my fingers “if you could be so sweet as to drop me off over here” I said sweetly, fluttering my eyelashes at him as he stared at me. I caught my eyelash-fluttering in the review mirror and frowned. It looked like I was having an eye spasm, and a particularly bad one at that.

He grunted and stopped the car. I got out and literally ran away, seeing the car drive away from the corner of my eyes. I sighed and stared at the sidewalk. Now what? The street was busy and I wondered what the chances were that anyone here worked for Evelyn.

Before I had the chance of thinking about that, somebody bumped into me- literally shoulder barging me out of the world.

“Oh I’m so sorry!” The guy cried grabbing my shoulders before I could fly into the road. I opened my mouth and he cut me off before I could utter a single phoneme. “Go home” he said quietly into my ear.

I blinked and before I had the time to ask him he was threatening me he had gone, vanished, disappeared, puff! Oh my God! Everything made sense! That guy was a werewolf and Evelyn was a vampire. I sniggered at the thought and stuffed my hands grumpily into my pockets. I stopped walking causing several people to bump into me, curse and storm off.

There was a note in my pocket. I took it out and uncrumplified it. (Yes that is a word...my word) I stared at the words on the paper.

Stop  here!

On the Tuesday after the next at the time which you are reading at right now I will be at the cafe opposite you where you are standing at the moment. You deserve to know about him.

This is a matter of trust. There is no way I can prove to you that I am trying to help.

It was very vague. But I looked at the time. And I looked opposite me. There was a cafe standing pretty for me to stare at.

I sighed, stuffed the note in my jacket and releculantly, walked back to the hotel.

I dragged my feet to the bathroom and tried to make myself fairly presentable, playing with the eyeliner and drawing a French moustache on. I changed into some fairly humane clothes and walked out into the kitchen, winking at the mirror “Hey there handsome” I said grinning at my reflection “I’ll date thou- any day!” I stopped and stared more carefully at the reflection seeing for the first time seeing Evelyn staring at me from the breakfast table, half way through a bite, a smile twitching on his face. Oh great, the only day Evelyn was still at home at 7 in the morning. I shuffled to the table and sat down.

The last week had passed without much conversation between the two of us. One of the reasons for this was that Evelyn was mostly at his job, and by mostly I mean go to work at 6 and come back at 10. Oh, except today of course.

The other reason for this was that I was also out, the day I had been given the note I had told Evelyn that the only way I would not be on his case was if I had a job. The conversation went a little like:

“I mean if I was at a job-“

“You don’t need a job”

“I would be far far far too busy to use my detective skills to see what you do at work”

“...” silence and then a gruff “fine”

Another reason was that I normally woke up at around 10 in the morning. Oh except today. I had a job to go to.

I had finally gotten a job.

Hell ya!

5 minutes later I was out the door with a cheerful bye which was met by a nod of acknowledgement. I took a taxi to my new work place and stared up at it as I approached. It was a huge skyscraper. All modern and stuff. I walked in and glanced at the receptionist, she glared at me as if we had met before. I stared at her. Had I seen her somewhere before? No, she just looked like every other snob who was too tall, too blonde and too....perfectly Barbie.

“Your station today” she said giving me an envelope, a sour expression on her face. “ma’am” she almost spat, as if saying the words hurt her dignity.

“Great” I said cheerfully, glancing at the floor which I was supposed to go to. I had a meeting in 10 minutes where I was to be told the specific details of my job. Every juicy detail of this skyscraper building. For some reason the people hadn’t told me the specific details.

I turned and marched into the elevator, staring around at the posh gold mirrored wall. But on one wall was glass, a window which showed the outside, and I was pretty sure it was tinted outside so that no one could look in. I stared at it for a while. There was a newspaper holder in the corner and I took a newspaper, sat down and opened it. A few seconds later someone else walked in, sitting on the opposite side of the bench, he glanced at me before staring out the window.  I’d be meeting my boss today.

“Great day isn’t it?” I asked brightly glancing out at the rain thundering against the window which reached from the bottom floor to the top of the elevator, I could see a breath taking view as the elevator rose higher and higher.

“No” replied the person. He froze. I blinked and he snatched the newspaper out of my hands. I blinked again. And stared at the person sitting opposite me, his silver eyes slightly wide.  

Double bonus. I’d gotten a job and I would finally know what Evelyn worked as.

Because in front of me. Sat a horrified looking Evelyn.  (Frankly I'd never seen so much emotion on his face.)

Greetings! As we promised we've updated as the votes have reached 60 for the past chapter- thanks! And I know some of you have been waiting so here ye go. 

Oh and by the way the title is a how I met your mother (which I've never watched) twist.

This chapter isn't so long and its also a bit rushed, a lot of things happened. But I'm an impatient writer so yaaaaah....

PS..Thanks for reading this and feel free to vommet all over this chapter! And that means vote-comment

P.S.SAnd its free. Everybody likes free stuff. Troll+Stalker smile.

P.S.S.S We changed the front cover!

P.S.SFrom your Authors. :>

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2M 27.6K 38
(COMPLETE) B-1 "Along with that we will be divorced in 5 years! It's simple!" He just smirks at me while I'm chewing on my pen looking things over. "...
645K 18.4K 33
I've dreamed of the perfect marriage ever since I was a little girl: a marriage complete with a hardworking husband while I tended to the home and ou...
8.4K 188 24
I want the record to reflect that I didn't want this marriage. My husband is wealthy, which was a relief initially, but he is also friends with some...
95.9K 6.5K 71
He fell in love with the girl he had a one-night stand with. When her true nature revealed, he hated himself for loving her and decided never to see...