I Can't Eat Love

By Avaleon

Lenora did not have a wonderful life. After her engagement to Prince Ronan is broken, she loses everything... More

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 26
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29
Part 30
Part 31
Part 32
Part 33
Side Part 1 - Nate
Side Part 2 - Rig
Side Part 3 - Hallers
Side Part 4 - Edith
Side Part 5 - Queen Amerande

Part 25

64.3K 4.2K 1K
By Avaleon

A long table had been set, groaning under the weight of hundreds of dishes. My mouth watering, I waited impatiently for a groomsman to show me to my seat. Surprisingly, he led me to the opposite end of the table, far away from the King and Queen.

I would have thought she would want me nearby. A stray thought crossed my mind and unconsciously I found myself looking towards the Queen. Her face was red with irritation as she argued quietly with her husband, a finger pointing in my direction.

Ah. So it wasn't her idea. I felt relieved at this, before pushing the emotion away. Meeting the Queen's gaze, I shook my head slowly, letting her know I was okay with where I was sitting. After all, Ronan and Edith were sitting on that end of the table. At least I could eat in peace here. The Queen looked frustrated, but finally nodded her assent and the banquet started.

The food was delicious. As I happily tried different dishes, Nate who sat to my right leaned over with a smile. "Which ones are your favorite?"

I indicated the preferred dishes with a quick gesture of my utensils, and he chuckled. "Noted. Next time I'll make you dishes similar to those."

I swallowed the bite of food in my mouth. "Really? You can even make dishes like these?" Previously, after the incident with the debt he had kept his word and made me a simple stew at my request, which had been delicious, but this food seemed much more complicated.

Nate's confident smile didn't waver. "I can make it even better."

"Then I would be glad to try." At my simple answer he looked extremely happy, barely touching any more of the meal on his plate as he excitedly discussed different foods he would like to make.

As we spoke, a servant stepped between me and Henry who sat on my left, and poured wine into my glass. Feeling thirsty I started to reach out to grab my glass...

Only to stop as Henry pinched my elbow.

"Don't drink that wine!" He hissed quietly, not looking up from his plate.

I reached out and grabbed my wine glass, pretending to take a sip. The wine looked normal, the only difference I could sense was a slightly floral aroma. I set the wine down and continued my meal, every muscle in my body tensed.

"What's wrong with it?" I asked quietly, pretending to eat.

Henry shook his head, his eyes filled with anger. "There's dissolved Gentle root in your drink. I smelled it when the servant poured it just now."

I raised an eyebrow. "A poison?"

"Of sorts." He stabbed his food with his knife, obviously trying to hide his rage. "It will confuse the senses, simulating drunkenness, and then render you unconscious."

"..." I thought over the ramifications of that, my face going pale.

I was staying in the palace tonight.

What was the one way the King had left to force a marriage between the prince and I, a way that would tie me with iron clad chains to his son?

I clenched my hands in my lap, so tightly I could feel the bones creaking under the pressure. I lifted the glass again, using the moment as I pretended to drink to examine the rest of the room. The Queen and Edith were talking, although neither looked happy at the moment. The King sat there silently, paying no attention to me. Ronan however... He glanced over frequently in my direction, a smirk playing across his features as he saw me drinking the wine.

My stomach rolling, I set down the wine glass once more, this time very close to Nate's glass.

"What's wrong?" Nate whispered, pretending to eat as usual.

He had noticed. Feeling a slight warmth at the thought, I quietly relayed to him Henry's discovery.

"Those bastards!" Nate cursed, even as he kept his face calm and even. "What do you want to do?" He tried to smile, but didn't quite manage it. "Any revenge you want, I'll help you carry out."

"I have a plan." I whispered instructions to him, and he nodded in agreement.

I reached out grabbing the nearby glass of wine and drank it steadily through the meal. I slowly began slurring my words, and swaying slightly in my seat. My words were just a little too loud to be polite, my laugh raucous and unrestrained.

All through it, Nate's wineglass sat in front of him, untouched.

Finally, towards the end of the banquet, I staggered towards the head of the table, fumbling through a curtsey with the Queen.

"Y-your Majesty." I spoke slowly, as if trying to force my words to remain clear. "I'm afraid I'm a bit..." I swayed on my feet, my eyes unfocused. "Unwell. Is it okay if I go to room to retire for the night?"

Edith muttered quietly "How shameful, she's drunk!" But I ignored her, focusing on the Queen.

Her face only expressed concern. "Would you like me to come with you?"

I felt warmth in my heart at her words, but shook my head. "No, I just need to rest."

As I walked to leave I had to pass by the Prince and Edith, and on my way... my feet moved awkwardly, slipping out from under me, and I crashed into both of their chairs. Nearly knocking both of them to the floor, there was some unbridled chaos as the three of us extricated ourselves.

"HOW DARE YOU?!" Ronan yelled, before glancing at his father and quieting down.

Edith looked enraged. "You crashed into His Royal Highness! You should be punished!"

I looked up at both of them from my spot on the floor where I had sat after falling, blinking owlishly. "Sorry. Must have tripped."

I got up unsteadily, almost tripping again, forcing the Prince and Edith both to stand and take a step away from me, as they were afraid of being knocked down.

"Cousin, let me escort you, so that you don't fall again." With a gentle smile, Henry stepped forward and grabbed my arm, helping me out of the banquet.

"Let me come too!" The Queen jumped to her feet, pale with worry. I turned reaching out and hugging her.

"Let me go, I'll explain later." Hearing my obviously sober voice, she seemed shocked, but quickly regained her balance and nodded, saying loudly. "You're right, daughter. It would be rude to leave my guests so soon. I will check on you in the morning."

"Thank you." I meant it sincerely. As I left with Henry, leaning on him heavily, I heard Nate cry out loudly.

"A TOAST!"

Smiling to myself, we left the banquet hall, and made our way to my room.

___________________________

As soon as we were there, the palace maids took over, wanting to help me change. Henry and I nodded at each other as he left, and I let the maids help me into my nightclothes, continuing to sway and slur my speech. Falling into bed, I asked them to leave and without another word they left me alone, further cementing my suspicions about what was about to happen in my mind. Despite my obviously intoxicated state, none of the maids volunteered to watch over me.

I sighed silently, waiting to be alone.

Once the door had closed I sprang into action. Changing into a pair of loose black pants and shirt and tying my hair up in a black cloth, I retrieved all of my hidden throwing knives, securing them to my belt.

"You look like a bandit, why do you own an outfit like that?" Henry stepped out from behind a painting, where the secret passages could clearly be seen behind him.

I worked on the streets as a spy for months. I couldn't say this explanation of course, so I simply shrugged. "I like to be prepared."

"That's a good strategy, given the present circumstances." Henry smiled.

"Did it work?" I asked, feeling nervous.

He gave a nod. "It did. During the chaos Nate and I each switched out a glass. They both received the Gentle Root."

"Good."

Silence fell over us as we waited. He shifted uncomfortably. "Are you sure they're coming?"

I nodded. "Once they're certain I'm asleep, and every one else has gone to their rooms, they'll be coming to retrieve me."

"... I'm sorry this has happened to you." Henry looked so grieved, I couldn't help but smile and try to comfort him.

"At least I had you here today! Otherwise..." I shook my head, not wanting to think about it.

We waited for quite some time before footsteps could be heard outside the room. Henry and I nodded at each other, each taking a spot on either side of the door, ready to move. From the other side, we could hear two voices, complaining.

"This is taking forever, do you think it's time yet?"

"You saw how she looked when she left the hall, the Gentle root should be in full effect by now." The answering voice chuckled, an ugly sound. "Then it's just a matter of picking her up and delivering her to the prince's room."

Both Henry and my faces were grim. I had suspected the plan ever since discovering the poisoned wine, but to hear it stated so plainly...

"Well let's go." The men opened the door, striding into my room quietly, waking towards the bed.

We reached out at the same time knocking the two men face forward to the ground. Before they could react, Henry stepped forward, dumping a powder onto their faces. After sneezing a few times, they were quickly unconscious.

I whistled in appreciation. "That's some powder."

"I made it myself. I was thinking it would be worthwhile as a self defense weapon... it seems to be fairly effective."

"That's an understatement." Nate, stepping through the secret passageway, smiled as he saw the unconscious men. "Good work."

"Did they drink?" I asked stepping away from my attempted attackers.

"I made them toast at least five or six times." Nate grinned. "They definitely drank some."

"Good." I turned to Henry. "Can you dump these two in an empty room, maybe put some empty bottles near them so it looks like they were drinking?"

Henry nodded. "Done."

"Then let's go." I waved Nate on, and we stepped into the passageway.

I navigated the passageways with ease, moving silently. Finally we reached our destination. I stepped into the room unhesitatingly, Nate behind me.

Prince Ronan laid on the bed, unconscious. I stared at him furiously for a moment.

Although I figured the extent of their plan had simply been to place me into his room, and have me "discovered" there the next morning, my reputation would have been damaged beyond recovery. My fists clenched, the desire to strike him overwhelming.

How dare they?

With a sigh I turned away, gesturing to Nate. "Grab him."

A sad expression in his eyes as he watched me, Nate stepped forward without hesitation, hoisting the prince over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes.

We stepped into the passage again, and when we exited we were in another room.

I smiled at the surroundings, and the young woman sleeping deeply on the bed.

"Dump him on the floor." I pointed to the floor next to the bed. Nate put him down, stepping back solemnly.

We watched the sleeping couple for a few silent moments. I felt a burning sensation in my stomach, tired of the entire business.

"Do you think less of me?" I asked quietly.

His eyes were harsh as he studied the couple. "It's more than they deserve."

Reaching down, I grasped the prince's shirt and ripped it open. Leaving the rest of his clothes intact, I stepped back into the passageway, ending up in my room once again.

"Are you alright?" Nate asked, watching me with a worried expression.

"I- I don't know." I shuddered with fear, acutely aware of how close I had been to falling into the King's trap. Nate reached out, hugging me tightly, a comforting warmth surrounding me.

"You have us by your side. No matter what." He whispered by my ear, before stepping back into the passageway, leaving me alone to my thoughts.

___________________________

The next morning I stepped into the hallway outside Edith's rooms. A palace maid opened her outer door to my knock, her face confused to see me so early.

"Miss? Lady Edith is still asleep in her room."

"I need to speak to Lady Edith urgently. Please wake her now." Seeing my concerned expression, the maid nodded, opening the inner door to check on her.

She then shrieked in surprise. I looked over her shoulder, giving out a surprised shout.

"Your Highness! WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN EDITH'S ROOM?!"

The sound of the maid's cries and my shouts woke all the guests and soon the hallway was filled with people. Edith and Ronan, still groggy from the drugged wine, were now staring at each other with silent shock.

"WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?!" The King's roar shook the walls around us, and he entered, his royal robes askew, his face red with rage.

The maid, terrified, explained what she had found. The Queen, who had just arrived, shook her head. "We'll announce their engagement immediately."

I smiled, watching the scene with satisfaction. I had given Edith and the Prince exactly what they wanted, at the same time ensuring that there was nothing the King could do to force me to marry his son now.

But as I met the King's eyes, the smile slowly faded from my face. He stared at me, a small smile tugging at his lips, his eyes filled with a deathly rage. He looked ready to kill.

This wasn't over.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

246K 10.4K 26
Alora and Ronan has been together since high school. They're engaged to be married but they have envious enemies lurking in the shadows. On one of Al...
22.9K 676 20
Reincarnating, dying, repeat. My life revolves around those three. This has been going on for so long that my memory of my first life already became...
23.5K 1.5K 32
The plan is only simple: no one is getting a happily ever after if I can't get mine, first! ---------- Genre: Fantasy, Romance, Language: English, Fi...
468 159 35
Rebirth was the only power the gods refused to even contemplate giving to mortals. Having an enemy come back every time they die? Having them slowly...