Marcus' Prey

By EpsilonAngel

*Book two in the Hell's Company series* He was a disgrace, fallen from a once lofty peak to the depths of the... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen: Part One
Chapter Thirteen: Part Two
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Nine

10.5K 518 289
By EpsilonAngel

          Oh man, I'm back at it!

Hello y'all. 

A new chapter, as promised! And a long one, too! You're welcome ;)

A few notes before we start!

If you have time and are so inclined, would you mind dropping over to @thefictionawards and voting for Lucifer's Gift in Best Paranormal story? They explain voting, and you can vote as many times as you want! I'd really appreciate it :)

Also, my irl best friend and roommate @Africana124 has just joined Wattpad and begun writing! Her book, Sugarcane and Indigo, is fucking amazing, and she's been talking about writing it forever. While you're waiting for my updates, you should swing over! It's got mystery, horror, magic, conspiracies, and a beautiful (and sexy ;) love story!  I'm not just recommending it because I know her. She's genuinely amazing.

LASTLY. The first chapter of the novella, book 1.5 in this series, Fenrir's Choice, will be published here soon! I know y'all have been waiting for this, and it's been bouncing around in my head for a long while. I hope y'all will like it :)

Anyways, that's enough announcements for now! Hope you enjoy the chapter <3

Epsilon

~~~

 "What do you mean, Michael is alive?" Lucifer snarled, pacing towards me. "I drove my celestial blades through his heart. I watched as the light left his eyes. I incinerated him with my holy fire and scattered it across the Earth on the Northerly Winds."

"Drama queen," Ammi muttered. But her heart wasn't in it. Her eyes were glazed, her vacant face betraying her. I knew exactly what she was feeling. Now she was numb, but soon her hopelessness would overwhelm everything as the reality of her world crumbled around her.

"My father is not easily killed," I replied, eyeing Lucifer as I twisted my fingers nervously. "You should know that."

"You have no proof of this!" the angel barked, narrowing his eyes at me.

Marcus stepped in front of me, going toe-to-toe with Lucifer without hesitation.

"Of course she has no proof, Luce! What the hell do you expect?"

I crossed my arms around myself nervously, before murmuring, "I...actually might have something."

All heads turned to me. I shuffled uncomfortably. I really hated being the center of attention like this. It was rarely a good thing.

"How?" Lucifer barked, and I barely restrained myself from flinching. He was a seriously intimidating figure.

"Wings, please stop. You're turning into an angel monster again." At Ammi's words, Lucifer tucked her into his side with a giant black wing, setting a kiss on top of her head.

"Apologies, Rika." He attempted to calm himself, but his stiff posture betrayed him.

Marcus bent towards me, tilting my chin up with a gentle hand. His handsome face pinned me to the floor as he studied me. Looking for what, I wasn't sure. But whatever it was he saw didn't seem to please him.

"What do you mean, 'proof'? You don't have to prove anything to me, babygirl. Ignore the tyrant with wings."

"I want to," I promised. "He needs to believe me. You and Ammi might take me at my word, but he-"

"-is a suspicious bastard!" Marcus growled, but from the look on his face, I knew deep down he agreed with me. Not that it mattered. He clearly didn't care what Lucifer thought.

I shook him off gently, but firmly, and he reluctantly released me.

"You said something about a brother? Is it Raphael?" I directed my questions toward Lucifer, despite barely being able to glimpse him past the wall of muscle that was Marcus.

"Yes," Marcus answered before Lucifer could, earning him a glower from me.

"I don't remember addressing you," I snapped. I did not appreciate rudeness, even when it was directed towards the devil himself.

Marcus' brows hit his hairline, and a particular glint shone in his eyes, but he didn't otherwise comment. Still, something about that look made me shiver down to my bones. Not in a good way, but also not one that was wholly unpleasant.

"Regardless, yes, Raphael is the brother I spoke of," Lucifer's voice shattered the small moment we'd had, making me blush. "What of it?"

"Call him," I ordered, then, realizing how demanding I'd sounded, I added, "please?"

Lucifer was silent for a beat, and for a moment I'd worried I'd come across as too pushy. But then, I jumped about a foot in the air with an embarrassing squeak when a voice spoke from behind me.

"Yes, frater? I was in the middle of something, ahem, rather important, so-"

"Michael is alive."

I turned around just in time to see the angel, who was obviously Raphael, freeze in place, abject horror blanketing his features.

"Impossible," he murmured, and I stiffened.

"It's true," I promised, steeling myself for what I had to do. After a deep breath, I continued, "and I can prove it."

Raphael's angel-blue eyes swept downwards to me. "And who are you?"

"I'm Kaiah," I answered hesitantly, remembering Lucifer's volatile reaction to my identity. "Michael was my father."

I hated even saying that.

Those eyes narrowed. "Even less of a reason to trust you. Michael's alive? Bullshit. What is this, wishful thinking?"

A bloodcurdling snarl echoed from behind me, and before I could react, a high-pitched buzzing filled my ears. Then, with a burst of almost psionic energy, Raphael stumbled back a few paces, as if physically shoved. I whirled, and Marcus' face mirrored the shock on mine.

"Did you-?" Before I could finish, Marcus swept me behind him, his upper lip pulled back in a snarl.

Raphael was there, his eyes glowing with rage.

"Which of you two dared to touch-"

"ENOUGH!" I jumped as Amirykal, with fangs peeking out from lips and fur rippling along her arms roared at the two males. Her volume was astonishing, and it froze them in place.

She stalked toward them, Lucifer acting as her shadow the whole way, sending furious glares to his friend and brother.

"While you two are swinging your puny dicks around, Mic...Michael is running around sucking air, and you're scaring the bejeezus out of the one person who can help us! Are you trying to act like children, or does it just come naturally?"

Raphael quirked a brow, a frown twisting his lips. "You believe this..."

Ammi narrowed her eyes dangerously. "Woman. Or Kaiah, if you want to avoid being an utter asshole." She rolled her eyes to Heaven and shook her head, before replying, "and yes, I do. You don't know her, but I trust her. Still, she has proof that apparently involves you, if you can pull your head out of your ass long enough to listen to her."

At the last thing, Raphael snapped his gaze to me. "You have proof?"

I'd already said that. But still, I nodded, "I do. But anyone who's squeamish should probably leave."

All three males scoffed at the very idea that they could be considered squeamish. But still, I pressed on, looking towards my Champion, in particular. I just knew he wouldn't react well to this.

"You should leave, Marcus," I began, but he cut me off with a growl and a firm shake of his head.

"Rabid hellhounds couldn't keep me away, babygirl."

"Hellhounds can get rabies?" Ammi whispered to her mate. He shook his head, a perplexed look on his face.

"Fine," I sighed, before looking up at him pleadingly. "Please don't freak out, alright?"

Warily, Marcus nodded in agreement.

Grimacing, I turned to Raphael. "You can tell the time and cause of old wounds, right?"

"Naturally," he answered, crossing his arms, "what are you getting at?"

Taking a deep breath, I reached for the hem of my sweater, slowly drawing it up my stomach. Before I got far, Marcus' hands covered mine, stopping my movements.

"What the fuck are you doing?" He demanded, his voice harsh in a way that he'd never used towards me. I flinched.

"Fuck off, Marcus!" Ammi barked, but he was intent on me.

I shook my head, "this is something I have to do, Marcus. You can either stay here and be calm about this or leave. It's up to you." My voice was mild, but I would not be argued with. The residents of Hell couldn't continue living in a fairytale. They had to be ready for when Michael came, and he would come. If they were unprepared, he'd slaughter them all.

He ground his teeth, his hands shaking at his sides. Perhaps with the effort it took to restrain himself? I wasn't sure. But either way, he was making me nervous.

Finally, he backed up a step, but it was obvious he was close to snapping.

I finished removing my sweater, leaving me only in my white bra. Marcus' eyes swirled with heady emotion; rage, helplessness, lust. But this was all necessary. He'd see. In the end, he'd see.

And it wasn't as if my partial nudity bothered me. Neither of the other males would lust after me, and Ammi was my friend. Plus, I was doing this of my own free will. This was far better than how I'd been normally made to do this.

With a deep inhale for bravery, I turned my back to the other four.

Three voices chorused their shock and outrage. Raphael, having doubtlessly seen worse in his time as a healer, was silent.

My back wasn't really much of a back anymore. I'd say, from the limited observations I'd forced myself to make in the mirror, that my flesh was more scar tissue than skin. They even wrapped around to my ribcage and hips. All not from the lash, but from the tip of my father's legendary sword. He'd slice me open and then immediately cauterize the wounds so I wouldn't bleed out. He could do it for hours, and hours, and hours. Sometimes he'd just burn me, to add to the pain and disfigurement.

Luckily for him, his children were extremely hardy. Had unbelievable pain thresholds. I rarely ever passed out during his brand of discipline. But, despite my advanced healing, the celestial sword left devastating damage on my flesh.

"I will rend his soul from his body." Marcus' voice was cold, so, so cold. Like death itself spoke through him.

"Raphael," I prodded, and I heard the answering grunt. He stepped forward, but a crash had me whirling around.

Lucifer had Marcus by the back of the neck, preventing him from attempting to tear the healer's head from his shoulders. He didn't look angry, though. He looked icy. Calculating. Like a cold flame.

"Give me your back again, please," Raphael requested calmly. "Ignore the scuffle."

With a last lingering look at the frightening expression on Marcus' face, I did as he asked.

I stiffened as gentle fingers skimmed over the puckered, mottled skin. The newer scars were almost numb, the nerves deadened and destroyed utterly. But the older ones, where the nerves had slowly healed, were sensitive and raw. Like skin that wasn't quite ready to be exposed to air.

"Frater." Raphael's voice was lined with strain. "These are all from Michael's sword. The newest ones...are only a month old."

"You know as well as I that the only being who can wield my father's sword is him," I turned, accepting my sweater from Ammi's kind hands, slipping it over my head. "He wasn't killed that day in Heaven, but he did blame me for it. He held me for months, hurting me like this. Then I escaped, around a month ago." I shrugged, "why did you think my siblings were after me en masse? They were following my father's orders. Most would ignore me if he were no longer in the picture."

"Why did he blame you for my actions?" Lucifer asked, releasing Marcus, who instantly glued himself to my side.

I smiled wryly, "because he'd ordered me to kill you. And you were still alive."

Lucifer's brows crashed downward thunderously. "He sent you to kill me?"

Oh crud, was he mad that I attempted to kill him? Or, rather, that I had thought about it? That it had even entered my mind that killing my uncle and the King of Hell was in the realm of possibility?

"You. My brother sent you, to kill me. Me?" Lucifer's feathers ruffled, and I finally understood.

"Oh my Charles, Wings, are your feelings hurt?" Ammi looked positively gleeful at the prospect.

Did...was that a blush I saw?

"No. No. I just think it's a little ridiculous, is all."

I didn't blame him.

"Father was sure I could do it, and, when I knew him, he was never wrong." I shook my head slowly. "But you were the most ambitious target I'd ever been given. I didn't think I could, so I finally gave into temptation and ran. And then, after the battle of Heaven..."

After the battle of Heaven, he'd found me.

I cleared my throat, "Well, anyway, he blamed me for the fact that you were there in the first place. Without you there, that battle..."

"Would've ended very differently," Marcus finished grimly. I nodded agreement.

The room rang with silence, each occupant undoubtedly running the different scenarios in their head. Every single one of them ended poorly for the side of Hell. Lucifer was the key piece in the fight, and they knew it, just as my father had. Had all the pieces fallen into place, had I done what was asked of me, and somehow succeeded, every person in this room would've been obliterated.

"So, you're the reason we won, in a roundabout sort of way, huh?" Ammi broke the silence, as she was wont to do.

"You weren't even there, A," Marcus scoffed, "in what world is there a 'we' here?"

"Hey, I was there in spirit, right Wings?" The other woman cast a minorly threatening glance up to her massive mate.

Uncowed, and, likely happy about her change of mood, Lucifer smirked. Shrugging, he snarked, "I don't remember seeing you there."

With an outraged gasp, Ammi abandoned him to stand by me, huffing under her breath, "You miss one heavenly battle..."

"Can we focus on the issue at hand?" Raphael snapped, every line in his body written with tension. "Michael is still alive, and he wants to see to it that none of us, not a single one of us, are left alive. And Meg, as well."

I could correct him, but I felt it would only stir more panic.

My father did want my Champion and the angels dead. But Amirykal and I...well, if he got his hands on me, he wouldn't make it quick. And Ammi...we'd both wish we were long dead, should it come to that. And Meg was far too useful to kill. I'd seen her power up close. No way would father sacrifice an asset like that.

"Obviously, I need to be more thorough this time," Lucifer growled, murder flashing across his harsh face.

I almost laughed out loud. As if sensing this, he turned to me, eyebrows raised.

"If you were to catch him in a pitched battle, you'd have no problem," I agreed placatingly, "but you and I know that. Everyone in this room knows that. And my father definitely knows that. So, you won't be given the chance. Say what you will about my father, but he's a planner."

"Well, we have Marc, and he's a military good strategist, right?" The waver in Ammi's voice was back, as if she was doing her very best to hold herself together. On an impulse, I hesitantly laced my fingers through hers. She smiled gratefully at me, gripping it back.

Marcus sighed, shaking his head. "I am...a decent strategist, at best. I had a good teacher, but I am not meant for war. Luce is an effective blunt-force weapon, and Raphael is a healer with some skill in combat." He ran an aggravated hand through his thick hair. "And, remember, Ammi, if it weren't for Kaiah, we would have been slaughtered in Heaven. Michael's abilities far surpass mine."

There was somber silence once again.

I suddenly had a thought. Turning to address Marcus, I asked, "You mentioned a teacher? Maybe she could help us."

She.

Why did that bother me so much? It definitely shouldn't. Right? Right.

Right?

Marcus frowned, deep in thought. Then, after a beat, he shook his head slowly.

"I doubt she would hear me. And besides, I would have to go to her. I couldn't leave you or Hell unattended for so long."

I cocked my head, "But, this is far more important. I'd be fine here with Ammi and Lucifer."

"I won't leave you."

Really? There was absolutely zero logic in that answer.

"But if this is for the wellbeing of us all, then shouldn't it rank higher than-"

He cut me off on a snarl, "This is not up for discussion, little girl. Enough."

I flinched backwards at his tone and the fierce expression he wore. It was actually...blood chilling.

"Alright, you've officially crossed the border between assholeville to douchelvania," Ammi declared, glaring daggers at Marcus. "Why don't we discuss this tonight? It'll give us time to think on it and get over our incredible dickishness."

"Sounds good to me," Raphael jumped at the opportunity. "It's obvious nothing is getting done, and besides, Meg will probably want to be involved in serious strategy talks."

Lucifer nodded. "Good point. We'll meet tonight in the War Room. Come with new ideas."

He held out his hand for Ammi to take. She hesitated, looking at me with concern. I released her, hand, pushing her gently towards her mate, wearing what I hoped to be an encouraging expression. No reason to ruin her day because Marcus had decided to be a...butt.

Apparently, my expression wasn't all that convincing, because she turned to Lucifer and shook her head.

"Kai-Kai, Meg and I are going to have a girl's day!" She announced, ignoring the instant frowns that overtook every male in the room's face. "It'll be fun! Kaiah, have you ever had a pedicure?"

"No, absolutely not!" Lucifer growled, shaking his head vehemently. "You aren't going to the surface anytime soon, Rika."

"And neither are you, babygirl," Marcus agreed.

"I don't want Meg up there without me," Raphael chimed in, all the males so much more insufferable now that they were in cahoots.

"I liked it better when you were fighting," Ammi said, only half joking as she spoke the thoughts in my head aloud.

Then, seeing they weren't budging, she sighed, rolling her eyes so hard I was sure she would collapse in a dead faint.

"Luce, I understand with Michael around you're nervous, but Meg will be with us. Didn't you say even you couldn't see through her wards?"

The archangel huffed, "Well, yes, that's true, but-"

"And can't you show up instantaneously if I speak your name?" She pressed, not allowing him to argue.

"Yes, but Michael is also-"

"Can you," she interrupted gently, her eyes soft, "give me a valid, non-mate related reason for us to not nip up to the surface to get pedicures and talk things over?" She shook her head, "Besides, if you want battle strategies, this is the way to go. Spa days are our war councils."

Lucifer was silent, but his jaw clenched so furiously I was sure his teeth would fly out of his mouth from pressure. Still, he said nothing, and that was good enough for Amirykal.

Narrowing her eyes at Raphael and Marcus, she continued, "If it's good enough for overbearing mate extraordinaire, it should be good enough for you two. Meg's a big girl, Raphe, she can handle herself. And remember that whole spiel about not being suffocating, Marc? Now would be the time to put that into action."

"Now? You're calling me suffocating now?" Marcus growled, glowering so effectively at Ammi that even I quailed back. She, however, was unaffected.

"Yes," she shot back, "that's exactly what I'm saying. Michael or not, this is just as safe as Hell. Restricting her freedom purely so you'll feel better is suffocating."

Marcus stood there, opening and closing his mouth like a fish. Again, taking a non-answer as an affirmative, Ammi beamed at him.

"I'll be safe Marcus, I promise," I assured him. Despite him scaring me, he had a good heart, and that hadn't changed.

His countenance softened, and he stepped forward. Pressing something into my hand, he whispered, "Take this, at least. It'll protect you briefly in a confrontation...from most."

Looking down, I scrunched my brow when I saw a golden pendant embossed with a snake-haired woman wreathed in odd symbols. I felt no hum of magic emanating from it, no buzz of energy. I didn't understand how this was supposed to help, but if it set his mind at ease, then I'd happily humor him.

I snapped it around my neck, smiling reassuringly up at him.

"I'm told this whole 'girl's day' thing is important. But I'll be back before you know it," I promised, grabbing his hand and squeezing. "And then we can spend a day together." Overcome by a bout of embarrassment at my forwardness, I blushed furiously. "I mean...if you want to."

The smile he gave me back could conquer nations.

"I would like nothing more, babygirl," my Champion replied, bringing me in for a sweet embrace. "I'll be thinking about you. Every damn second you're gone."

"Shouldn't you be thinking about strategies?" I accused, my voice muffled by his shirt.

His laugh shook his chest against me, "You're far more pleasant to think about."

"Alright, alright, this is getting cavity-inducing," Ammi grinned, "time to scram!"

After many whispered thank-you's and a loving kiss on Lucifer's cheek, Ammi whisked me out of the room. 

So, what did you think? 

Michael is a rat bastard, huh?

Who could this mysterious "teacher" be?

AND WHAT WILL HAPPEN NEXT???

See y'all next time!

Epsilon <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3M 37.8K 49
Katarina Night has been alive since the Salem Witch Trials in 1692. Surprise Surprise, she's a witch. Since her mother was caught and burnt alive for...
7M 255K 52
Lila had a family. And for a while they were happy. Then on her eighteenth birthday, her Parents, brother, and his mate died in a tragic car accident...
1.9M 18.9K 11
Aden Perri has problems. The last day of school his girlfriend calls it quits. And proceeds to move on a little quickly. His friends disappear, le...
2.8M 95.6K 59
"You don't want a mate and neither do I. So for the sake of our wolves, let's just complete the mating process and part away like... friends?" Quillo...