Professor Khan ✔️(completed)

By saltysarrah

[wattpad featured story] For Rabail her entire world revolves around the ideals, traditions, and honor of her... More

1. q a y a a s- Presumption
2. m u q a b i l - Face to Face
3. b e h r o o p - Disguise
4. n a d a a m a t - regret
5. d a r d - Pain
6. m o a m a - Enigma
7. s u k o o n - peace
8. t a j a s u s - curiosity
9. i b a d a t - worship
10. q u r b a t - closeness
11. b a a r i s h - Rain
12. n o o r - radiance
13. r a b a i l - veil of flowers
14. r a h m a - compassion
15. n a a m - name
16. g h u t a n - suffocation
17. j h o o t - a lie
18. d o s t - friend
19. w a d a - promise
20. h a y a t - life
21. k h u d g a r z - selfish
22. h a d s a - accident
23. h i j a b - scarf
24. a y l a - halo
25. i j a z a t - permission
26. A b b a - dad
27. g u n a a h - sin
28. d u a - prayer
29. i q r a r - confession
30. n i k a h - marriage
31. b e h i j a b a n a - unveiled
32. v a s l - union
33. d a w a t - party
34. k h o d i a - lost
35. j u d a - separated
36. g h a r - home
37. z a k h m - trauma
38. h u m s a f a r - companion
39. r u h - s o u l
40. a z i a t - affliction
41. w a p i s - return
42. w a l i d - father
43. a z a a d - free
45. m o h a b b a t - love (epilogue)
zachary & ayla
• m i d n i g h t s n ac k•
• h e r n a m e•
• a walk down the memory lane •
• goodbyes & new beginnings •
• beautiful •
Hello 🖤
• freaky family friday •
Hello Again!!
| s e q u e l |

44. s w a t - the motherland

10.8K 905 545
By saltysarrah

Pulling the blanket aside, he slipped back in beside her. Pulling her closer to him, she stirred in her sleep. Rolling over, she stared at him with sleep in her eyes.

"Where did you go?" She sighed and buried her face on the side of his neck.

"I got lost a little. I was just finding my way back." He rested his chin gently on the crown of her head.

"Mhmm." She was already falling back into her slumber.

"Rabi,"

"Hmmm." Her eyes were closed as she tried her best to stay awake. He stared at his wife with amusement.

"We are going to Pakistan tomorrow."

"Huh?" Her head jerked up. She stared back at him with confusion and sleep all in her big eyes. "I thought we were staying for a week."

"I changed the tickets. I can't stay here longer." His hand was brushing against the softness of her jaw, tucking away the escaped locks of her hair. There was something about running his fingers through her hair that calmed him.

"Are you going to see your father before leaving?" She put her head on his upper arm, using at as a pillow as always.

"I just saw him." He gazed at the ceiling. His mind was at rest. No guilt. No shame. No war. This was him. Free.

"What happened?" She whispered.

"I freed myself, Rabi." He looked down into her widened eyes as if she was anticipating another round of pain, but relief washed into those brown eyes as he smiled at her. "I'm never coming back here."

"What about Ayla and Kabir?"

"They are my siblings, more like my kids. I'm going to do everything to stay close to them. They are welcome at my home anytime. But I'm not coming back here. He is their father. They are free to choose what they want to do. If they want to stay here with him, that's okay with me. That's not going to affect my relationship with them."

Breathing in the warmth of him, she wrapped her arms around his neck and smiled against his skin. Kissing the corner of his lips, she whispered.

"I'm so happy for you, Asfi."

Sleep was long gone as they spent their hours teasing, talking, and reminiscing the better half of his childhood.

He was playing with her hair and she was sprawled across him. His other arm resting on her waist. Her head was on his chest as she traced his tattoos on his shoulder.

"Asfiii," Oh he knew that saccharine sweet voice. She definitely wanted something. "Babyy?" This was that tone which was the sole reason for the million candles in their home. The voice she used when she almost convinced him to adopt another cat. Or for the heaps of junk food that she filled the kitchen cupboards.

"What do you want, Rabi Noor?" He bit the inside of his cheek to stop himself from laughing. She was so adorable as she blinked at him with those big eyes.

"I was thinking..."

"That's a very dangerous thing you're doing, babe, please don't."

"ASFI! Go away, you oaf! I'm not talking to you." She scrunched her tiny nose and tried to get up, but in vain. His arm tightened around her waist and he kept her plastered to him.

"I was just kidding." The warmth of laughter erupted in his chest. He put his fingers under her chin and raised her frowning face. God, she looked so adorable. He kissed her reddening nose. "Anything for you, what do you want?" She was about to open her mouth but he blurted. "Except candles."

"Asfi!!!" She whined.

"Ok. Sorry, go on." The laughter still playing at his lips. His laugh was free like the space in his mind. The peace filling the gaps. He felt complete for the first time in his life.

"I was thinking." He raised his eyebrow, but just smirked at her squinting eyes. "If we could maybe takeAylaKabirandZachwithus?"

He furrowed his eyes.

"If we could what?"

"If we could take Ayla, Kabir, and Zach with us?"

His jaw dropped open, and she pushed it close and winked at him.

"It's supposed to be our honeymoon?" He questioned her as if she forgot.

"How was it even our honeymoon? We are going to go see your grandparents." She replied as if he was actually dragging her there against her will.

"Well, you were the one who decided it." He was baffled at the blame put on him. Oh, Rabail Noor was working her magic of refusing to accept anything and everything.

"Well, you didn't say no to it. If you really wanted to go on our honeymoon, you would've gone right after our wedding."

Huh? What? How were these two things correlated? How did we even get to this point?

"Rabail!" He raised his eyebrows at her.

"Okay, I was messing with you." A small smile played on her lips. "But listen to me, we're going to go see your family. The family Ayla and Kabir deserved to know as well. Take them with you. Show them the love that healed you. We have a whole life to ourselves to go on our honeymoon. They need this trip to rebuild that bond with you before it's too late. They need to know that their elders love them. Their grandfather and their grandmama. They are all there."

"Rabi,"

"You need this, Asfi. My bond with Hassan is the only thing close to family I have from there. Give that to your brother and sister."

"What about us?" Of course, he wanted to give this time to his siblings, but he had promised this trip to Rabi alone and without her happiness, he couldn't do it.

"We'll sneak out sometimes. I heard they have a place called Murree and it snows there. We can go there." She reassured him. "And you owe me a honeymoon to Greek Islands during spring break"

"Oh no, that's a high price for this. It's okay I can take them there on the next trip. This can be our official honeymoon." He wiggled his eyebrows at her.

"Oh, you don't worry about it. I bought the tickets." She untangled herself from him and left the warmth of the bed. "With your card." She skidded across the room, laughing.

"RABI!"

"Ayi, Ayi, Asfi. It's fajar time and you're sitting there missing your prayer. Shame on you. Tch. Tch."

She threw her scarf at him and went to the bathroom. Leaving behind the sound of her laughter that echoed through their room. He removed the scarf from his face and held in his hands. A smile curved his lips. He loved that sound of laughter and more than that it was the way she went beyond the norms of love. Her love for him and his family.

"I love you, Mrs. Khan." He shouted at her and heard that laughter back.

/////

The suitcases were rolled out. The car was ready and Zach was leaning against it. His head in his phone. For the one last time, he stared at the Khan Villa that held so much once, and now nothing.

Everything was still within him. His heart beating with a calm rhythm. Inhaling the frosty breeze, a smile tugged on his lips as he stepped out from there, letting the door close behind them. The clicking sound synonymous to the closure he needed. Goodbye.

Rabail was bickering with Zach while Ayla and Kabir waited on the other side with questioning eyes as he approached them.

"Why are you leaving so early?" Ayla blurted as he pulled her in a hug.

"There is nothing here for me, Aaloo. The longer I stay here, the only thing I'll be doing is digging up old wounds, resentment, and pain. I think It's about time I let go of it."

"What about us?" She pulled back, tears wallowing in her big doe eyes.

"You're my family, bachay. You have my home and my heart. Like I said earlier, I want you to come to Exeter, but it's up to you. Think about what's right for you, but Whatever you choose, your brother will be right here for you from now on." He pulled on Kabir's shoulder and hugged him. "Rabail and I want you guys to come with us to Pakistan. I want you to meet Dada and Dadi. Think about it okay?"

Both of them nodded and His wife trailed behind him, now hugging Ayla.

"Please, It's going to be fun." Rabail held her hand and tried to convince her. "At least think about it."

"I will, Rabail." Ayla squeezed her hand and reassured her.

"Kabir." Rabail stood in front of the man who was as tall as her husband. "I know we barely met each other, but I hope I see you around, more often." She teased him.

"You will." A half-smile graced his lips and she was about to turn around, but his words stopped her. "Bhabi," her eyes furrowed at first. It was so weird to hear that, but she smiled. There was so much familiar feeling in her heart as he called her that. Like he was accepting and welcoming her in the family. "Thank you for giving my brother back to me."

Her eyes welled up with tears. With Asfandyar, she found more relationships. The relationships she never thought would ever be hers. The love and acceptance tearing her up.

"I still haven't forgiven you for hitting my husband." She made a face at him, both of them laughing.

He stood there, staring at the tall building that was washed in the white paint. Ironic. His mother's voice. His siblings' bickering. His memories related to this came alive for one last time. He felt a small arm around his torso. His wife. He looked down at her eyes. He wrapped an arm around her shoulder and pulled her closer.

"Thank you for bringing me here." She said as she cooed against his shirt. He nodded.

His throat was too closed up to say a word. The lost memories turning up to say goodbye to him for one last time. His eyes fell on the window of the study. The curtains were moving and somebody was watching them. He turned around without another look at the house and the window.

"Chalein!" He whispered as he grazed her forehead with his lips, kissing her forehead softly.

She nodded with a beautiful and delicate smile and placed her hand in his, interlacing her fingers with his as they embarked on the journey of life with a wave of peace and calm.

/////

"His grandparents are probably expecting a sweet, sophisticated and civilized wife of Asfandyar. They'll be so disappointed." She sneered at Zach who made a disgusting face in return. "Instead they get you. A monkey."

She had crossed her legs and was sitting on top of her luggage as Her husband went to get the cart for the bags.

"I'm canceling you. You're not going to Pakistan."

"Aww, Noor. Did I hurt you? Too bad I wasn't going in the first place."

"You better be there, Zach." She warned him. "Ayla is going to be there."

Her friend froze for a second but scoffed it.

"I don't care." He gritted.

"You don't?"

"Nope. She can go to do whatever the hell she wants. I don't care."

"Alright then." She smirked and he squinted at her. Knowing too well her mind worked in twisted ways. "Ayla is going to be there. Since Ayla is there. I'm going to find her a sweet, sophisticated, and civilized husband." Oh, Revenge was so sweet.

"NOOR!" His jaw clenched and knuckles tightened around the handle of her hand-carry.

"Oh, No, Zach. Don't break that. That's my favorite." She sweetly took her hand carry from him. "I heard Asfandyar got wonderful friends over there. One is in the Army. The other one owns a chain of restaurants. I heard one of them is like business tycoon or something. She's got a lot of options. Amazing, wonderful, rich, not-brooding and actually civilized options."

"Noor, I'm warning you."

"What's going on?" She heard her husbands voice and smirked at Zach who was fuming.

"Nothing, I was just telling Zach we're getting late. Where did you disappear?"

Zach was giving her murderous looks as they loaded the carts.

"Okay, man." Asfandyar pulled Zach in a hug and then bumped his fist with him. "I hope I see you there. Take care."

Zach nodded.

"Toodles, Zach." She waved at him. "I'll give you your hug in Pakistan."

All she got was a look that would've burned her to ashes. Her laugh made him fume further.

"Is he even going to go?" Asfandyar skeptically stared back at his friend's retreating figure.

"Oh, he is definitely going. He probably went to pack his bags and will be hopping on next flight."

"What have you done?" Her husband raised his perfectly arched eyebrows at her. Knowing damn too well, she had something twisted to do with how his friend's face was red.

"Oh, nothing much. Just that you have friends over there and he won't be bored."

"Rabi!"

"Come on, we are getting late. I don't want to miss the flight." She pulled on his hand. Shaking his head, he followed her.

/////

She curled up against him as the blanket fell from her shoulder. He turned his head and she was reaching for him even in her sleep. Taking the ends of the small airplane blanket, he tucked it around her and she sighed in content. God, this woman could sleep through a hurricane. He shook his head and stared at the window as they got closer to his motherland. The knots in his stomach wouldn't let him rest. The trail of lights blinking from far and the map coming to alive as he stared at the place that once gave him refuge.

"Rabi?" He whispered in her ear, his breath fanning against the fabric of her scarf. "Babe, you've got enough sleep." He shook her shoulder, pulling her closer. She mumbled something and snuggled further in his arms. "Rabi, we are landing and I'm going to leave you here."

"Huh?" She blinked open her eyes, still confused where she was. She squinted at the screen in front of her. "Asfi," She smacked his hand. "We still have thirty more minutes." She muttered closing her eyes.

"Go freshen up. I don't want them to think, I'm bringing an alien as a wife." He murmured with amusement playing in his eyes. "Look the hair sticking out of your hijab. The sleep buggers are stuck on your lashes. Oh, is that drool I see on both sides of your lips."

She touched her faces in horror, rubbing her hand across her face. Then she realized he was just messing with her. He pushed his chuckling face away and put her head back on his shoulder.

"I was kidding, but go freshen up though. It seems like you've been sleeping for years." He pulled on her cheeks, trying to wake her up.

"Only because I need to wake up, not because you are saying it." She groggily stood up and smacking his shoulder one more time.

After walking through immigration, they picked up their bags and went to the waiting area.

"I'm so excited." She whispered as she felt the butterflies in her stomach. "We're here." She unbelievably stared at the swarm of people. Some were departing. Some were arriving. The plethora of emotions on display. "They are going to like me right?" She stared up in his dark eyes, that were filled with mirth.

"Isn't it a little too late to think about that, my beautiful wife?" He chuckled. "They are going to love you. Maybe even a little more than they love me."

"Don't be jelly now." She smirked up as her husband scanned the people, and finally spotted the person he was looking for.

"Sher Khana!" He yelled over the crowd and the young boy turned towards them. He seemed to be around her height, yet he looked much younger from his features.

"Khan Lala!" The boy enthusiastically went around people and ran towards them. "Pa Khair Lala."
"Welcome Home, Lala."

Asfandyar patted the little boy on his shoulder and ruffled his hair.

"Salam Khor Jaaney."
"Salam, My Dear Sister."

"Walaikum Salam." She replied, but not able to understand the endearment. She looked at her husband, raising her eyebrows and he explained to her.

"Pukhto na wraze wala, Angreza da!"
"She can't speak Pashto, She is an American Girl."

"Wayiiiiii!" The boy's eyes widened and he stared at her shocked.

Asfandyar was in his fit of laughter. She shook her head, knowing well he was up to no good even though she didn't understand what he was saying.

"Why are you torturing the poor kid?" She elbowed him on his side and he just raised his eyebrows at her, shrugging.

"Welcome to Pakistan, Rabi." He widened his arms, pulling her into them. 

They left the airport at the creek of dawn. Sher Khan was sitting in the front seat with the driver. They were in the back seat of the black Jeep Wrangler. Her husband was off to his slumber the moment he sprawled in the back next to her. She was wide awake on the four-hour journey.

She put her head against the window and watched the landmarks whiz by. The first rays of the sun were peeking and streaking the dark sky. The peachy and orange shades blooming against the early dawn. The signs of life waking up as they drove past them.

There was tranquility in the air as it rolled out in the space around her. The birds were waking up and singing as they sought the first food of the day. As they got farther from the capital city, the more she was surrounded by the exuberant mountains, the forest green mixed with the brown of winter. The fog and cloud crowned the top of the mountains. The beauty around her was raw, away from the noise of the city. The closer she seemed to have got to the valley, as Sher Khan would announce, the more she fell in love with the pure nature around her. The world around her was breathtaking. She put the window down and the cold breeze swept against her face, nipping at her skin, yet soothing her. It was as if the wind was welcoming her to his land.

The car came to halt and she rubbed her eyes. At some point, she had dozed off as well. She turned around and her log of a husband was still snoring with eye mask tight around his eyes.

"Lala, Pasa mara, Kur raghe."
"Lala, Wake up, dude, we are home"

"Asfandyar!" She shook him, and he groaned. "I'm going to leave you here and then go shame you in front of your grandfather how you left me alone on the plane."

"Lies." He sat up straight, stretching his arms out. She stared at the way the fabric of the shirt stretched across his body. She bit her lip, ogling him blatantly. He looked so fricking hot with sleep wallowing over him, his hair loosely falling over his head, as he stared back at her with hooded eyes.

"Babe, I don't have time and place for this. You need to stop looking at me like that." He came closer, his eyes darkening, sliding his scarf slightly, as his hot breath fanned the delicate skin of her neck, sending burning heat through her veins.

"ASTAGHFIRULLAH!" She smacked away hid jaw, fixing her jaw. Thank God, Sher Khan and Driver had left the car. Ufff. She fanned her self while he sat there laughing at her blushing face. "You're sleeping in the courtyard through this whole trip." She sneered at him as he opened the door.

The moment they opened the Jeep door, the sound of drums started. There was a rush of children and people around them. The dhol wala was beating the hell out of the drum and the trumpet sang along with it.

"You didn't tell me about this!" She yelled in his ear, the voice barely carrying through.

"Welcome to Swat, Rabi."

He tilted his head urging her to follow him. He held her hand, interlacing his fingers with her as they found their way to the gate where an elder man with multiple other young men was standing.

She recognized his grandfather as he stood there with his walking stick. Dressed in white men shalwar kameez, traditional hat, Pakol, was on his head covering his white hair partially, along with the men's chaddar around his shoulder. His long beard and mustache framing his face as they resembled the color of snow. His kind eyes welcoming them.  Yet the man in front of her looked proud and healthy for his age.

"Asfandyar Khan." She trailed behind him as his grandfather's eyes watered and he opened his arms for him. "Zma bachey. Zma da stargo yakhwale."
"My child. The coolness of my eyes "

"Dada Jaan." He closed his arms around the weak figure of his grandfather. "I missed you."

"That's why you showed up after more than a year."

"I was looking for a present. Look who I brought with me." Still, in the arms of his grandfather, he pulled on her wrist and brought her closer. "Rabail Noor, your daughter-in-law."

"Wayi Qurbaan Shirini,Pa Khair, da Swat gul raghe."

She said her Salam to his grandfather and the elder man put his hand on her head, blessing her with his love and kindness. Her eyes welled up and she looked at Asfandyar whose eyes crinkled with happiness.

"He said, the flower and pride of Swat have arrived at our home." And then he felt a smack on the back of his neck.

"You're going to make her stand here or take her inside. She is probably tired after such a long journey."

"What about me?" He whined to his grandfather like a three-year-old.

"You drop her in and then come to baithak. I need to get my walking stick ready and give you some lessons for disappearing for so long." His grandfather waved them in after hitting him on his leg lightly with his stick.

"Serves you right!"

She teased him as they walked hand in hand through the gate and were showered with rose petals and money, then the garland of money and flowers were put around their necks. She was still in awe as the women of his family welcomed them.

"I feel like I'm a VIP in a movie." She whispered to him as they barely made their way through the crowd of young and old women.

"Perks of being my wife. See how special I'm." She rolled her eyes at him.

"Well do you get welcomed like this every time?"

"Well, uh... uhm." He scratched the back of his neck and gave her a sheepish smile. "No."

"Perks of being my husband."

She pulled on his cheek and then a joint hawww and cackle rose around her. She turned her head and the women around her were sheepishly laughing as they held the corner of their dupattas between their teeth. She realized what she did and a warm wave of heat washed over her, blushing she looked down. Asfandyar joined in with their laughter over her embarrassment.

They finally arrived to end of aangan where his grandmother was sitting with a young girl next to her. His grandmother was dressed in a soft yellow color traditional salwar suit while covering her head with a dupatta. Holding tasbih in one hand while the glasses were perched on the bridge of her nose.

"Wayeee Zma the zra tukra." She raised her hand as Asfandyar bent down and sat on the ground in front of her. "Waye zma zuwe."
"The piece of my heart is here, my dear son."

"Aday!"
"Grandmama!"

"Waye Asfandyara!" The woman's eyes welled up with tears as she cried holding him as he put his head on her lap.

Her throat closed up as he watched the woman cry with him. Her own heart came to rest as she knew Asfandyar's mother might not be alive but his grandmother loved him more than she loved her own sons. She understood why he said he healed here. This was the love he needed to heal. Unconditional and pure.

"Da kho ugura sok da!"
"Look who is here."

He wiped his grandmother's eyes and pointed at his wife. Rabail bent down and sat next to him. Saying her salam to her and paying her respect as the woman hugged her.

"Wayi zar, waye qurbaan, zma da Asfandyar Navey." She kissed Rabail's forehead and then her cheeks and running her hand on her head with love.
"Oh my, My Asfandyar's bride is here."

"O, Shanzey, da nera rara che du nazara na shi."
"Oh, Shanza! Bring the burning sage leaves so I can ward off all the evil eyes."

His grandmother watched her as Rabail struggled for translation from the oaf of a husband of hers who was not helping at all so she switched to Urdu.

"Saath mein Qainchi bhi laana taake mein iske yeh naakaam aashiq wali zulfe kaat loon."
"Bring the scissors so I can cut these long strands of hair of his."

A pure look of horror crossed his face as his hands went up to his precious hair. Both his wife and his grandmother burst out in a peal of laughter as they high fived each other. His wife smirked at him, gloating as she got his grandmother's love and approval.

He shook his head as he watched them with awe. Sitting peacefully at the feet of his grandmother along with his soulmate in a land where his soul resided.

He was home.

////

Next up epilogue 🤧🥺😭

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

131K 8.1K 31
"Some things are just never meant to be. No matter how much we wish they were" Mushk Ali is no damsel in distress neither she wants to be one. She kn...
3.5M 208K 59
I walked down the white hallways filled with the smell of bleach and chlorine. The lights above were too bright, too luminescent. I can't think. I ca...
52.5K 1.5K 17
#4th Rank in #spouse. Arsalan Abid Khan. He is silent but sometimes boldness is his nature. A very dominant person but kind hearted too. Loves hi...
45.3K 4.6K 90
••|3rd in Arranged Series|•• Can be read as a standalone I always found myself getting mesmerized by him. And today was no different. As I came into...