Sister Spelled

By beewest90

Three witches, bound by blood and separated by circumstance, must find their way back to each other after fou... More

Some Feels
Blood to Blood
Mads
Gin
Annie
Ghosts
A Song at the Noir
Haunted
Meeting in the Rain
The Shore
Reunion
Wailing Woods
Fire at the Sticks
Trespassing
Seance
A Different Sort of Magic
Delia
Woods
Don't go in

The Scarlet Serpent

25 2 3
By beewest90

Mad's was right. Neither girl had cared much for what she had in mind, but they had had a hard time arguing once she had pointed out that no one had a better plan.

Mads winced as Aunt Evie squeezed her arm a little too tight, her long red nails like claws in her skin. They had arrived at the library minutes to midnight, and while the outside had been empty as a tomb, the inside was a hive of activity. Mads hadn't know what to expect when her Aunt had led her here, her questions only answered with a you'll see, and an enigmatic twist of ruby lips.

Evie had known where she was going, even after so many years away. They had gone straight past the stacks, behind the librarians desk to a tiny door in the wall. Painted to look like the rest of the wall, so hidden she would have never found it herself. They had gone down a long winding staircase, so deep that there was a chill in the air even in summer, into a cavern of stone walls and blackened tunnels.

When Evie had brought Mads home she had known it wasn't for sentimental value. Evie belonged to a coven, and she expected Mads to belong to one also. Specifically, to hers. Mads had put it off long enough, but the knowledge of a coven might be the only thing that would save her, and Gin and Annie.

Aunt Evie leaned in close, her fingers still wrapped around Mad's arm, "Don't speak to anyone even if you recognize them. Tonight is about the weighing of candidates, and if you are found wanting there will be consequences for not only you, but me as well."

"Like what?"

"I had to vouch for you in order for you to be invited tonight." Evie answered, "My reputation, and place here, depend on your acceptance. If you fail to gain entry, I will have to choose. Shun you, and keep my place in the coven, or choose you, and both of our memories of this be erased. That path has never ended well."

"What do you mean?"

Evie's eyes darkened, "So many of my memories, of who I am, are associated with this coven. If they were to be removed I'm afraid I would be driven mad by the gaps in my mind. At least, that has always been the end result in the past." She turned to Mads, a smile returning to her easily, "But we needn't worry about that Madeline, because you will be accepted, and you will make me proud. Isn't that right?"

Mads didn't bother to answer, but she sighed in relief when Evie let go of her arm to grab a mask from a basket by the door, the end of the room in such deep shadow she doubted anyone could see them at all. She held one out to Mads, a white bird, the feathers silky against her fingertips as she took it, sliding it over her face. Evie's was a gold fox, the edges catching the light.

Evie handed her a robe from the wall, Mads white, Evie's black.

"The colors represent the role. I belong here, you are a hopeful." Evie explained, "Our coven is part of a larger group from all over the world. Tonight, there are many, but not all of us. The only time we all gather in one place is during times of great meaning or tradgedy."

"So, kind of like a sorority?" Mads flinched at Evie's sharp look, her eyes dangerous even behind a mask, "I just mean you're like an offshoot of a bigger group."

"No." Evie stated flatly, "Nothing like a sorority. We are a coven, of some of the greatest witches of this time. You'll know more when you are accepted."

"Ohhh-kay." Mads mumbled under her breath when Evie turned away, before following her into the crowd, "Um, what should I be doing?"

"Mingle, meet some of the other members, and make a good impression, or you'll never be accepted."

Evie walked away, leaving Mads alone in the crowd. Mads crossed her arms, "Sure sounds like a sorority to me."

She glanced around, flipping her hood on so she could take in the surroundings. The sound of murmuring conversations echoed in the large space, the words and tones bouncing around at each other until it was a tangle. Candle holders were set in the walls, the red wax dripping down like blood, and everywhere she looked were robes and masks and hidden faces.

Something roared up inside of her, and she could feel the blood pounding in her ears. Heat crept into her cheeks. Too many people, and where had Evie gone. She was alone, alone, alone. She clenched her fists, burying the nails in her palm. The pain brought her back, centered her, and Mads breathed in and out. Slowly, so slowly, until the pounding began to fade.

"Welcome."

Mads eyes flew open and she quickly found the source of the booming voice. She hadn't even noticed the murmurs quite around her until the one word had echoed out. A man stood at the front of the room, a silver bulls mask on his face. He stood on a small raised circle she hadn't noticed before. His robe was scarlet, matching the candles lining the room. He was the only one in red, she noticed, probably the High Priest. Mads silently chastised herself for not paying more attention to Evie's ramblings about her great coven.

"I see several hopefuls with us tonight. Count yourselves blessed, you have been handpicked by the coven, but that does not mean your acceptance is guaranteed. You will be tested, you will be tried, but if you pass the challenges then you will become a member of one of three of the largest covens in the world, the Scarlet Serpent."

"Definitely a sorority." Mads grumbled, arms crossed over her chest.

"Get through the night alive, and prepare yourself for the next few weeks."

The hairs on her arms stood up. What did he mean get through the night alive? She heard a few weak chuckles throughout the room, but it must have been from others like her, because they died out quickly, and although the man in the front smiled, his eyes were hard as diamonds.

"From all of us, welcome. And good luck."

He stepped down, and immediately the hum of voices started up again. Mads brows furrowed as she glanced around, searching for Evie, but there were so many black robes she gave up.

"Hmm. I didn't expect your stalker like abilities to be so strong."

Mads glanced to her side, where a tall figure now took up space. She didn't even need to see under his mask to know who it was. His mask was larger than most of the others, an obsidian black ram, the horns curving in at the side of his face.

"Everett." She stated, "Of course."

"You know," He said, handing her a drink, "I underestimated you. You are a stalker to be reckoned with."

"Oh please," She scoffed, but she couldn't deny the small relief at having someone here that she actually knew, "How was I supposed to know that you are part of a coven. Wait-"

"Yes and no."

Mads glared at him, sniffing at her glass before taking a large gulp of the wine, "You didn't even let me ask."

He shrugged as he lifted his own glass to his lips, one sleeve of his black robe falling to expose the ink on his skin. A snake, winding around his forearm, the black and red ink still stark as if just done, "I already knew what you were going to say, and we're wasting time. No I am not a witch, and yes I belong to this coven. At least, for tonight."

"If you're trying to be mysterious on purpose, it's really annoying."

"But it's working, right?" He grinned and nodded his head at a group of black robes, their heads bent in as they spoke, "You're about to be tested. I only came to let you know what the test is."

She took another gulp of her drink, suddenly nervous, "What is it?"

"Trial by fire."

Her eyes widened as she swung around to stare at him, "You're not being serious."

"I am." He said solemnly, leaning in to whisper to her, "And they are too. This coven is dangerous, and you need to be careful. Why are you here?"

She stared into his eyes, the blue even lighter against the black of his ram's mask. She suddenly realized that this was only the third time she had ever seen this boy, and the way his mouth was set in a hard line reminded her how dangerous some boys could be.

She gulped, hating herself for it, "I'll tell you why I'm here if you tell me where they keep the grimoires."

She held his gaze for what felt like hours, but could only have been seconds, until finally, he said, "I have to admit, I'm curious. Let's make a deal, get through the trial, and I'll show you. Only members can access the texts."

"What do you get?"

He cocked his head to the side, "Let's make that bargain if you pass your trial."

He turned to go, but she grabbed his sleeve, "Wait, where will I find you?"

One corner of his mouth lifted in a smirk, "You tell me stalker, we always seem to bump into eachother."

He disappeared into the crowd, and she watched the spot his black robe had disappeared though until her Aunts voice reached her.

"It's time, Madeline. Come join the others."

Mads blinked rapidly, looking for her Aunt, but her golden mask was nowhere to be seen. Instead, she saw that the middle of the room was cleared of black robes. Instead white gathered in a small circle, the black robes lining the walls.

Several people looked her way, and Mads took a deep breath before she walked forward to join the others. There were six white robes, seven including hers. Each one wore a different animal mask; a gray cat, a violet doe, a navy wolf. Behind every mask, though, was the same expression. Fear.

"Good luck." Mads found the source of the voice, the same man from earlier, his scarlet robe spilling like blood across the floor at his feet, "Begin."

She didn't have another moment to think before a flash of orange caught her eye. She whirled just as the boy next to her began to scream. A fireball. Headed straight for her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

285K 17.1K 52
[COMPLETED] My grandmother is a witch. My mother is a witch. My sisters are witches. Even my daddy is a warlock when he's not moonlighting as a rat (...
4.1K 426 34
Annie doesn't know it, but magic surrounds her life and follows her every move. Between her recurring dreams, the strange evidence she keeps in a box...
2.7K 252 32
For a special mission, a group of three wizards and a witch arrived in the human realm. Each of them has their own special powers. They met a female...
73.4K 2.8K 60
Rowen Whitley is your typical seventeen year old girl and, although she has a tragic past and a fragmented memory, the only thing she wants to do bef...