I Can't Eat Love

By Avaleon

Lenora did not have a wonderful life. After her engagement to Prince Ronan is broken, she loses everything... More

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 25
Part 26
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29
Part 30
Part 31
Part 32
Part 33
Side Part 1 - Nate
Side Part 2 - Rig
Side Part 3 - Hallers
Side Part 4 - Edith
Side Part 5 - Queen Amerande

Part 21

66.4K 4K 820
By Avaleon

I didn't recognize the man sitting in my home.

"How...?" Hallers stepped in before me, his professional mask cracking as he realized that in his absence a strange man had been allowed to enter the house.

The man smiled, the expression showing too much teeth, coming across as more threatening than reassuring. "Now, now, butler... don't get your uniform tied up in knots, your staff didn't have a choice." He turned towards Henry and me, giving a formal bow.

"Sir Matchins, at your service." His voice was mocking, the bow too shallow to be truly respectful.

I stepped forward, "Sir Matchins, although we haven't been formally introduced, I do wonder as to the urgency of the matter that caused you to be at our home so late in the evening." I kept my face calm and neutral, ignoring the discomfort of his gaze, as he looked me up and down. "I would be happy to discuss this further in the morning."

His smile widened. "I'm afraid this matter has already waited over five years, milady. Another day simply won't do." He reached out a hand, holding something out towards me.

The movement was made too quickly, both Henry and Hallers stepped in between us, as if trying to shield me. Recognizing that he was holding a sheath of papers rather than a weapon, I slowly let go of the throwing knife I had grasped inside of my pocket and stepped closer, taking the papers and studying them.

As I looked over the words and numbers written neatly there, I struggled to maintain an expression of composure.

"Why did you wait so long to come forward?" My voice was monotone, as if I truly didn't care about his answer.

He laughed, a strange, unsettling sound. "I didn't want to be seen as a harassing a noble family, but with how your circumstances have... changed, Miss, I thought it best to come forward and collect now rather than wait for you to honor it yourself."

His tone was spiteful, I felt Hallers shift beside me and reached out to touch his shoulder, hoping to calm him. "Well you have delivered your paperwork. I will be visiting your office within the week to settle the matter."

He laughed again, "Not a week. Three days. I've waited long enough."

"YOU DARE....?!" Hallers' roar of anger startled me for a moment, but I held up my hand silencing him.

"Three days, then. Goodbye, Sir Matchins. I hope you'll forgive me for not seeing you out."

With a smirk he left, the soft click of the door closing behind him unnaturally loud in the silence he left behind.

My fists slowly tightened, crumpling the papers in one hand, my nails digging unimpeded into the flesh of my palm with the other.

"Lenora... what does he want?" Henry asked quietly, confused by my lack of expression.

"What does he want?" I asked, not recognizing the sound of my own voice, it was so distorted by anger and disgust. "He wants everything."

"..." Henry stared at me for a moment with dismay.

"Miss, your hand!" Hallers cried out, reaching to grab my free hand. I looked down, startled to realize that my nails had broken the skin of my palm and blood was running down my hand, staining the sleeves of my dress.

I pulled my hand away, "It's nothing. Call Rig over, now." I walked towards my office. "We have work to do."

_______________________________

Rig entered the office quietly, closing the door behind him. I could hear his entrance, but kept my back to him, staring out the window as if entranced by the darkness beyond the glass.

"What happened?" His voice was soft, concerned. I couldn't help but smile, he was always one to try to help others, protect everyone...

Of course, none of that protected him in the end.

I gestured behind me to the desk, still staring out the window. "A debt, unpaid."

There was the rustling of papers as Rig looked over what the stranger had given me. Reading the amount, he whistled with appreciation.

"Quite a bit. I thought all your family's debt had been paid though?"

"So did I." I sighed. "But in the beginning things were chaotic. It would not have been difficult for someone to sneak a single page out of my room or office, hiding it until now."

"Someone? Why would anyone...?" He paused thinking it over. "Is this the Prince's doing?"

"Most likely." I tapped my fingers idly on the windowsill, "This amount is excessive, even with five years worth of interest... definitely enough to sink the Duchy. I would have had to agree to marry the prince to save my home, my livelihood."

"If not for your business." Rig added.

"Correct. He obviously doesn't know I have an independent source of wealth." My hands trembled, I clenched my fists, ignoring the pain from the wounds on my hand. Nodding slowly, I remained facing the window, refusing to look back at him.

I didn't want him to see my face.

Rig sounded relieved, "Well, easy enough. We'll pay off this debt, and his plan fails."

"No." I whispered. "It's not enough."

"What's wrong, Girl? He insulted you publically and you didn't bat an eyelash. Betrayed you with your friend and you smiled in return. He spread rumors to destroy your reputation and it didn't bother you at all... Why does this make you so angry?"

"Am I angry?" My words were barely audible.

"More than I've ever seen you before."

I stood up slowly, closing my eyes and pressing my forehead against the cool glass.

_______________________________

"We're losing the house." Father was broken, his hands clutching one of many bills, expressionless.

"WHERE ARE WE TO GO?!" Mother screamed with rage, throwing a glass towards the wall. It shattered into a hundred pieces, the shards sparkling in the moonlight shining through the nearest window. I stared out silently at the stars. My letters to the Queen had never been answered. After the party, Edith had never visited again. Forgotten by the two people I thought cared, I took a deep breath, trying to ignore the pain in my heart.

"I'll get a job, we'll rent a small place to live." I forced a smile, stepping away from the window and towards them. "We'll make it through this."

Both of my parents stared at me silently. Perhaps this difficulty would bring us together, I hoped. Perhaps we could be a family, even if we never acted like one before.

_______________________________

"What do you think would happen if I lost all of my money?" My question, muffled as it was, caught Rig's attention.

"What do you mean?"

"If I lost all my money today, do you think my life would go on as it did?" I smiled, the stars through the window blurring in my vision. "Hallers would seek employment elsewhere. He is an excellent butler, the palace would hire him immediately."

"What are you...?"

"Henry would return home to his plants, Nate will go home to Tilendria, Marile will go to live with her sister, and you... you'd move on as well."

"Do... do you think we only stay with you for the money?!" Rig sounded horrified.

"What about the people under you? Can you afford to not pay them? It's only natural that you all find someone who can protect you, can pay the bills, keep you fed, clothed, housed... " My voice broke on the last word, I cleared my throat trying to continue.

"But in the end, when you all have gone. And I've lost my home, my family... everyone. I'll starve to death in the streets, and no one will even mourn my death."

It became all too apparent to me, the second I saw that bill. How fragile this new future of mine was. How easily I could lose.

But this time... I'd grown too attached... I couldn't bear to be alone again.

I turned around, letting him see my face. Rig stepped back, his eyes widening.

"You ask me why this bothers me? It's because it's worked before. I lost everything. I lost everyone. I held your body in my arms and then slowly died alone." I felt hopeless, and I knew the agony I felt was etched on my face. I couldn't hide the pain I felt.

"We won't leave you." Rig whispered, his own eyes filling with tears as he stared at me.

"You already have." I smiled, but it was a broken expression. "Here are your instructions." I handed him a paper.

He read it, his face growing pale. "But this...?"

"It's not enough to simply win. I have to make sure they never touch me again. If I have to utterly destroy them to accomplish that... then so be it."

With that, I walked out, leaving him behind.

_______________________________

I spent the next few days alone, thinking things over. There wasn't much for me to do. Henry was managing the day-to-day functions of the Duchy, Rig was carrying out my instructions. I was left to my own devices.

I felt numb, as I sat in the library of our home, listlessly flipping through a book, the words running together, making no sense.

"Miss." Hallers caught me off guard, standing in front of me with a solemn expression. I sat up in my chair, setting aside my book to give him my full attention.

"Sorry, Hallers, I didn't hear you walk in." I shook my head, I'd been too distracted these past few days. "Is there something you need?"

"I think I should clarify something, Miss." Hallers smiled. "I will not be going to the palace to work, no matter what your financial situation."

I raised an eyebrow. "You spoke to Rig."

"'Speak' is not the exact term for it." His grin turned vicious. "He was initially reluctant to explain the source of your recent change in mood, but ... we exchanged some words and he changed his mind."

"Poor Rig." I chuckled sadly. "Hope you left him in one piece. I need him for my plan."

"He'll be fine." Hallers knelt on the ground, now at eye level, surprising me. His face was serious once more. "I won't leave you. Ever."

"Hallers..." I hesitated. "You have to have a job, I wouldn't blame you if something happened..."

"Forgive me for disagreeing, Miss. But you are the only person I'll serve in this lifetime." He reached out and squeezed my hands. "Money, no money, it doesn't change who I am. Who you are. "

"..." I stared at him silently, unsure of what to say.

Hallers stood up. "I hope one day you'll understand just how much we care for you." Brushing off his knees, he resumed his professional posture. "Now, let me get you some tea."

He turned to leave, but I reached out a hand, stopping him. "Wait."

"Yes?"

"... If I... If I were to do something terrible..." I swallowed uncomfortably. "Ruin a man, destroy everything he knows and loves.... Disregarding the fact that he might have a family, children... Even if I do such a monstrous thing... would you still stay?"

Hallers smiled. "I will support whatever decision you make. In fact, if someone threatens you... I'm happy to do the dirty work, myself." With that, he left.

I stared at the empty room, shocked at the conversation I just had.

Have things changed so much?

I felt a stinging pain in my eyes. Wiping them with the back of my hand, it came back wet with tears, but for some reason, I was smiling.

_______________________________

It was the last night before the stranger's deadline. Tomorrow, I would head out with Rig to complete what needed to be done.

But first, I had something to take care of.

"You called for me, Miss?" Angela walked into my room, her professional mask firmly in place.

I smiled gently, motioning for her to sit in the chair in front of me. Confused, she sat down, perched on the edge as if ready to jump up at a moments notice.

"How long have you worked for me, Angela?" My voice was light, pleasant.

Her response was guarded. "Almost seven years, Miss."

"Seven years." I shook my head, still smiling. "Seven years of hard work, loyalty... that should be rewarded, yes?"

Angela jumped slightly at the word, "loyalty." "I don't require any reward." She answered cautiously.

"Of course you do... seven years of loyalty... spying, stealing, scheming... how hard you have worked, for your mistress, Lady Edith." I never changed my expression, even as her face paled and she leapt to her feet.

"I don't know what you're..."

"I hope she at least adequately compensated you to betray me?" I studied my nails, pretending to be bored.

Angela shook her head, "I don't know who has fed you these lies, Miss, but that's all they are, lies. I am loyal to you and only you."

I threw back my head and laughed, the sound lonely and bitter, echoing around the room. It took a moment for me to catch my breath, one hand wiping tears of mirth from my eyes.

"Oh, Angela. Those lies might have fooled an innocent child into trusting you, but you are nowhere near the liar your mistress is." I thought about it for a moment. "Or me, for that matter. I was content to let you play your little game, pass off useless information to Edith and His Royal Highness, play the odd prank or two...but you had to find the line that shouldn't be crossed."

"Milady..."

"You never should have stolen that debtor's note." I sighed, "Anything else I might have let slide, but you actually tried to financially ruin me."

"I would never..." Angela looked insulted. "You have no proof..."

I stood up finally, walking closer, "Do I need proof though?" I whispered. "You and I both know the truth, and you know how easy would it be for me to destroy you?"

I turned away, grabbing a handful of coins from the table. "Should I plant money in your bag, claimed you stole from the household? You would never work again." Shaking my head, I circled around, grabbing a dress from where it was laid out. "Perhaps a needle or powder in my dress... who else would have access to my clothes? You could be imprisoned for life, would Lady Edith care about you then?"

All the blood had left her face, she reached out a hand as if to stop me. "Please, Miss..."

"I know!" I smiled cheerfully, stopping in my tracks and pulling a knife from my pocket. She stepped back, clearly afraid I was going to hurt her, but instead I turned it around, placing it against the flesh of my arm. "How about stabbing your mistress when she asked to speak to you privately? They would hang you for that!" I dug the tip of the knife in, a drop of blood forming on the spot. "How well would the money you accepted to mislead and betray a young girl spend then, as you hang by a rope around your neck?"

She stepped forward, trying to grab to knife, but I motioned her away, digging the tip in deeper. Stopping, she sighed loudly, looking defeated.

"You win, Miss. What do you want from me?"

My smile faded from my face, and I sat down, placing the bloodied knife on the table between us. "What did she offer you to betray me?"

"..." She sighed again. "A position as the future queen's lady's maid."

"And?" My voice was cold.

"My brother, Miss. He's talented, very smart, but we couldn't afford to allow him to study. Edith pays for his education at the university, and a position in the government once His Highness takes the throne." She stared down at her hands. "I wanted to give him the chance to succeed."

"And did you ever consider that if you ever asked me, I would have gladly provided you the funds for his education, without the need to betray a young girl who trusted you?" I stared her down, and she flushed red, unable to meet my gaze.

I threw a sack of money on the table between us, next to the bloody knife. "There."

She stared at it, shocked. "What?"

"You are going to do what you do best." I smiled. "Spy."

"Miss..."

"I will ask Edith to take you in, due to the recent... financial difficulties of the family. She will be overjoyed that I am too poor to even keep a lady's maid, and will be even happier to be able to afford something that I cannot. There, you will wait for further instructions."

Angela stared at me with narrowed eyes, suspicious. "How do you know I won't betray you to her?"

I smiled. "Let me ask you something instead: Do you really want to risk me being your enemy?" I leaned forward. "Because I will happily destroy you and everything you love." I paused. "Including young Oliver, it would be such a shame if his bright future were to be destroyed."

Her mouth gaped open in shock. "You already knew about my brother?"

"Do you think I didn't already know everything about you, the traitor I left in my own home?" I sighed. "How disappointing. But I haven't heard your answer."

"..." She reached out and took the money with a shaking hand. "Very well." Standing up, she hesitated and then took a few envelopes out of her dress, placing them on the table between us. "Here."

I took them silently, recognizing the Queen's handwriting. "Letters from the Queen?"

"She's written several times since the engagement has been broken, but I was under strict instructions to stop any and all letters between you two."

I nodded silently. "Anything else she asked you to do that I should know about?"

"Lady Edith... She asked about your father a lot."

That caught my attention. "My father? Did she say why?"

Angela shook her head. "No, Miss. She would always ask about his health and what he was doing, but never used any of that information."

"Very well." I sighed. "You may go."

Angela hesitated. "For what it's worth... I'm sorry."

I waved a hand. "The girl you should have apologized to died long ago." I smiled bitterly. "So don't bother."

I stared into the fire long after she left, thinking about the meeting with the debtor in the morning. What I planned to do.

What had to be done.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.4K 354 29
Siri Walker is a 26 year old woman and a lawyer. She is an orphan and lives in New York. One day after winning a case she was returning home with her...
959K 35.9K 39
At twenty, I died as I watched my country burned to ashes. When I opened my eyes, I am sixteen again. The first thing I plan to do is breaking off m...
5.4K 123 22
After dying unexpectedly from a traffic accident, Aria woke up inside the body of Cassia Clorance -- the villainess of the famous novel she just fini...
548 11 36
Kalila Orphaned at the age of eleven, due to unexpected demise of her parents. She, soon, was left under the care of her lovely brother and her 'evil...