I Can't Eat Love

By Avaleon

Lenora did not have a wonderful life. After her engagement to Prince Ronan is broken, she loses everything... More

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 25
Part 26
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29
Part 30
Part 31
Part 32
Part 33
Side Part 1 - Nate
Side Part 2 - Rig
Side Part 3 - Hallers
Side Part 4 - Edith
Side Part 5 - Queen Amerande

Part 20

73K 4.3K 2.3K
By Avaleon

After I finished sewing, I said goodbye to Marile and walked towards the shop exit. I was preoccupied with my thoughts, and wasn't focused on where i was stepping. Which led to me almost running into the young woman who was waiting right outside the door.

I stopped just before slamming into her, taking in her appearance with a forced smile. "Hello, Edith."

How had she found me? After a few moments of thought I quickly realized the answer to my question was easily found in my own home.

I'm going to have to deal with Angela sooner rather than later.

Edith stepped forward, interrupting my thoughts. Her face was delicately pale, her smile complicated as if happy to see me but worried at the same time. It was very pitiful, and she looked more like a wronged heroine confronting her betrayer, rather than the villain that she was. "I missed you, Lenora! I wanted to visit sooner but I was afraid you wouldn't want to see me... after..."

Her voice broke, and she lightly dabbed her eyes with a handkerchief, actual tears forming in her eyes.

What a marvelous performance. I really felt like I should be applauding.

"After you ran around with my fiancé behind my back?" I tried unsuccessfully to hide the amusement in my voice. "Why wouldn't I want to see you?"

She was now sobbing loudly, catching attention from those walking past. "Can you not forgive me? I never meant to hurt you! I just... fell in love! I cannot help loving him!" Even in tears her face remained pretty, her expressions showing mild sadness while maintaining a noble look. I wondered idly how many times one would have to practice crying to be able to look attractive while convincing at the same time.

I sighed quietly. "I wish the two of you can be always together." As long as you stay far away from me!

"Are we still friends?" She stopped crying her gaze hopeful. A few people had stopped to watch the scene, the mood clearly siding with the girl who was crying. I felt many angry stares in my direction and wanted to laugh out loud. How many of these strangers would realize that the girl who they thought was being bullied was the one who had done the betraying?

Feeling tired, I forced a kind expression on my face. "Of course." I felt no unease agreeing to this. After all, "friend" was only a meaningless term. There was no reason to hesitate applying it to such a person.

I invited her into my carriage and with a cheerful laugh she agreed. All signs of her previous tears were gone and she once again was pretending to be the gentle supportive friend. I was honestly shocked at how quickly she had switched roles. If I had honestly been in love with the prince still, did she think I would be over it so fast? She was being even more shameless than she had acted in my previous life.

There must be something else she wants.

Hiding my curiosity, I smiled blandly at her, pretending to listen as she chattered on about the latest dance she had learned. Edith at least had enough tact not to bring up the Prince... or so I thought.

"So, I am holding a party next week." She started fidgeting in her seat.

"I see." I nodded, my mind wandering to tomorrow's schedule.

"There... I will be announcing that the Prince and I intend to be married. "

Calmly, I looked up at her fake-timid smile and couldn't help but ask. "So it's official then? You are engaged?"

Obviously the stupid prince hadn't told her he had proposed to me again. I felt a brief flash of optimism. Perhaps my rejection had been enough for him to disregard the King's order completely?

"Well, not officially, yet." Her lower lip stuck out as she pouted, whether at her words or at my lack of reaction I was unsure. "Ronan has told me to keep quiet about it for a little while to protect your reputation, but by then I'm sure it will be fine!"

Protect my reputation? I barely held in my laughter. Since when has he cared at all about that? I forced myself to nod seriously.

Edith reached out, grabbing my hands, not noticing my discomfort at the contact. "I want you to be there, to support me."

__________________________

"Please be there." Edith begged, her hands holding mine.

"I don't know..." I trailed off, hesitant. It had been over a month since the engagement was broken. Mother had grown angrier by the day, Father had become increasingly withdrawn, anxiety etched on his features as debtors came to call day after day. I was still hurt over what Edith and Ronan had done, unsure if I wanted to subject myself to a party where I would show my support for the girl who had replaced me...

"Oh, but you must be there! We're friends!" She cried bitterly, her tears making me feel guilty for causing her distress.

I was still afraid to lose her approval, even after everything that had happened. She was the only one who seemed to care about me. I hadn't seen or heard from the Queen since, all my letters had gone unanswered. She obviously had lost interest in me now that I was no longer going to be her daughter in law. Edith was my only friend left.

And it was only a party.

"I'll go."

__________________________

"I'll go." My simple words seemed to shock Edith, who was obviously prepared to argue longer. Shaking herself, she smiled happily, clapping her hands with excitement.

"That's wonderful! It wouldn't have been a proper party without you there!" She reached out and hugged me, "I'm so glad we're still friends!"

"I'm glad too." I smiled as I pulled back, glad that the slightly shadowy interior of the carriage prevented her from seeing my face too clearly. If she had, she might have taken back the invitation. She might have canceled the party and fled the city.

It would have been the smart thing to do.

But instead she took my expression for genuine, and continued to talk happily about plans for the party as the carriage moved forward.

I kept silent, nodding occasionally, pretending to listen as my brain quickly began drawing up plans.

This party could be useful.

__________________________

"The Prince's staff have been trying to spread rumors all throughout the nobility."

Rig paced back and forth, his expression showing his displeasure. Hallers watched silently from the sidelines, his face unreadable. "How idiotic is this man?!"

I raised an eyebrow. "The prince? He's an idiot, but this plan is fairly well thought out... at least for him."

"But how is the prince lashing out like this supposed to convince you to marry him?" Throwing up his hands, the man slumped in a chair, shaking his head. "I can't see this accomplishing anything but convincing you to stay far away from him."

"That's because you think like a normal, decent human being." I smiled, tapping my temple. "In the world of nobility, marriage is more of a business deal. As a Duke's daughter, my worth is determined by my ability to tie my family to another." Leaning back, I sighed. "Normally, I would have been completely taken out of consideration for a match after having an engagement broken with royalty."

Rig thought about that. "But your reputation was actually not too bad after..."

"Exactly. The Queen's actions, my own reputation, and my wealth might have been enough to convince some of the braver families to try to ally through marriage. But now?" I shrugged. "With rumors that I was unfaithful, any man who tried to marry me would be thought to be the one I was cheating on the Prince with. Even if they avoided that, I would still be considered a loose woman, a stain on their reputation."

I laughed, a bitter sound. "No man would want his name tied to mine now. The Prince has ensured through this move that my only option to marry is to crawl back to him."

Rig and Hallers stared at each other. "I don't think it completely dissuaded everyone..." Rig started to talk, a small smile on his face. "After all there's..."

Hallers interrupted. "He's not approved... yet."

"I thought you liked him now?" Rig glanced over at me and then back to the butler.

"Liking him is not the same as approval for this role." Hallers face hadn't changed, but all of a sudden I found myself shivering from the coldness in his eyes, even as I struggled to follow their conversation.

Rig's smile widened. "Of course, anyone trying to step up to the task would have to prove their worth. We can't just give her up to anyone."

Hallers chuckled, an evil sound.

I interrupted their plotting, trying to bring the conversation back to one I understood. "Not that any of the Prince's plans matter." I shrugged. "I have no plans to marry. So he can destroy my reputation all he likes."

"Actually it's not spreading well." Rig looked at his own notes, confused. "For some reason, especially among the female nobility, the rumor tends to die out quickly, like they're too afraid to talk."

I smiled at that, repeating the threat that Marile had made a week past, and the other men smiled too.

"Simple, but effective." Rig praised. "I like her methods."

"Well, it will really be put to the test at Edith's party tonight." I stood up at my desk, stretching. "We'll see if they continue to hold off on then."

"Why are you even going to that? You realize she's trying to use you to legitimize her relationship to the prince, right?" Rig rolled his eyes. "If you are publically seen supporting her, how can anyone else blame HER for her actions?"

I grinned. "Actually I'm going for two very different reasons." I held up one finger. "First, as the Prince is currently under His Majesty's orders to marry me, I truly am curious to see if Ronan will allow a public declaration of their relationship to happen. I'm actually hoping that she manages to do it."

Rig laughed at that. "That would piss the King off, something awful!"

"I certainly hope so."

"Then what's the second reason?"

I grinned. "I have a plan to carry out." Handing him a note with instructions, I watched his eyebrows slowly raise as he read through it. "Can you have it arranged before the end of the party?"

"I- I can, but why...?"

I smiled wickedly. "I was going to cause trouble anyways... might as well blame it on somebody else while I'm at it."

__________________________

The party was beautiful. The Countess of Erand was never one to hold back from extravagance, especially on behalf of her daughter. I took in the glittering ballroom with an appreciative glance, smiling as I noticed how many of the noblewoman were wearing gowns from "Prosperity" tonight. Edith's party had granted my business a small fortune in orders. I wished I could thank her.

As I entered with Henry by my side, I heard a small amount of whispering, caught a few sidelong glances, but that was all. It seemed that even the men were restrained, likely by the hands of their wives who were terrified that Marile would hold a husband's gossiping tongue against them.

"Terrible." Henry muttered, looking around. At first I thought he as referencing the few gossiping nobles, but of course he hadn't even noticed. "How could they treat the poor geraniums like this?!" He stared mournfully at the flower decorations, which admittedly looked slightly bruised and wilted.

"Shameful." I whispered, playing along. "Should we steal the decorations?"

"No, it's too late for these poor dears... but I'm taking their bush with me." His eyes were fierce.

"Please tell me you're joking."

"Nope. I'm saving it." He spoke, his voice filled with righteousness and clear conviction. "I have no choice."

I sighed, rubbing my forehead. "Just make sure no one sees you, please?"

He chuckled grimly, rubbing his hands together. "Of course."

"What's Henry planning?" Nate walked up, dressed up in a beautiful waistcoat, looking at my cousin's face with suspicion.

"He's planning to liberate their geraniums." I muttered, grabbing the young man's arm and studying it closely.

"L-lenora." He stuttered. "I - .."

"What is this coat made of? This weave..."I pulled slightly on the sleeve, nodding with approval the softness of the fabric.

He sighed. "Should have realized." Grumbling under his breath, he added. "Please, Lenora, release my arm before you cause a scandal, I promise to send my coat to you so you can study it."

I looked around, realizing that this action would likely not have helped my shifting reputation, fortunately around the same time the prince had arrived, and it appeared that no one had been paying attention to me.

Breathing a sigh of relief, I looked around for the food, my eyes lighting up at the sight of the table. It was filled with different pastries and other delicious treats, reminding me of the prince's birthday party.

But I had a job to do. I felt my the corners of my mouth turn downward as I cursed my scheming ways. What if all the food was taken by the time I finished my plot?

Nate, noticing my longing glances and sad sighs, chuckled. "I'll get you a plate, Lenora. Go do whatever plots that need done."

Startled, I looked up at him, taking in his complacent smile with confusion. "How did you...?"

"I pay attention." He bowed politely, his hand on his heart and a smile in his eyes, before he turned towards the table, walking away.

I watched him move further away, my thoughts chaotic.

"Nate would be a good choice." Henry spoke quietly, again causing me to jump.

"W-what do you mean?" I felt a moment of panic, my stomach hurting briefly. "A good choice for what?"

Henry stared at me. "I'm going to recruit him to help me steal the geranium. What were you thinking?"

I shook my head, "Nothing. I wasn't thinking of anything." And with that, I escaped

__________________________

I walked towards Edith, a smile on my face. She saw me, and threw her hands out, delighted.

"LENORA!" Many heads turned towards us as we crossed the room to meet up.

As I moved closer, I bumped into a young lady, nearly losing my balance. I had to reach out and grab her, to stabilize myself. We smiled briefly at each other, before I moved on, apologizing with a single word and then continuing my course towards Edith.

She and I embraced, and the whispers from the crowd around us increased slightly.

I realized the source as a single figure stepped out though the crowd towards us

Ronan.

The three of us stood there, smiling at each other, each of us wearing a false expression.

What an interesting party. All of us plotting behind the scenes, none of us truly knowing the moves of the others.

Edith, who was trying to use my good reputation to legitimize her actions and her relationship with the prince.

Ronan who was trying to destroy my reputation to force me to agree to an engagement with him.

And me. Who came for a reason that didn't involve either of them.

Smiling brightly at the two, I hugged Edith once more, whispering. "Good Luck." Before she could ask me what I meant, I stepped away.

"I wish you both every happiness." My voice was pleasantly neutral.

Ronan's eyes narrowed. "Don't think that you can..."

"Thank you." Edith grinned, interrupting. "Your blessing means the world to us!"

"Does it?" I grinned, seeing Ronan fuming, and walked away.

"Done with your plots?" A plate was held out in front of me by Nate, and I took it, looking it over with appreciation.

"Good choices, thank you.

He shrugged. "I asked Hallers, and was given very specific and detailed instructions." Wincing, he added. "I have a feeling I'm in for a very long lecture regarding your preferences in the near future."

"I'm sorry, I can tell him to hold off."

"No need." He held up a hand, smiling. "I told you I like cooking right? Might as well cook something I know you'll like."

I took a bite of the first pastry, savoring it. "This is amazing."

Nate laughed. "Who knew that a pastry was all it took to impress you." Pausing, he leaned closer, whispering. "So what was it you passed on to the young lady?

I paused in my eating, trying to hide my shock. "To Edith? I didn't..."

"No, not her." He grinned. "The young lady you pretended to bump into on your way over."

"Was it too obvious?" I worried for a moment that my skills from my previous life had gotten rusty.

"Only because I was watching closely. No one else would have caught it."

Breathing a short sigh of relief, I grinned. "Good. Otherwise there would be no point to coming to this party."

"Food's not bad." Nate shrugged, picking a pastry off my plate and eating it, "Company could be better." He pointed in the direction of the other half of the room, and I followed his gaze, sighing.

Edith and Ronan were standing closely together, flirting, smiling, toughing each other frequently. There were a few odd stares in their direction, but the pair didn't notice, too wrapped up in their own world.

"Does it bother you?" Nate asked quietly

"Not the actions, just the indecisiveness." I shrugged. "He wants me to marry him to appease his father, but he wants to pretend nothing has changed with Edith. He obviously has forbidden her from announcing the relationship, which was the entire point of this party for her."

"Selfishness is a powerful motivator." He watched me for a few moments. "Do you feel sorry for her?"

"Not really. They both value the position, the crown over the person they proclaim to love. It's hard to claim one is the injured party when each other them is using the other." I turned to Nate with a smile. "Let's stay out of it."

"Sounds good to me." With that, Nate asked me to dance, and the party moved on.

I danced several times with Henry, ignoring his muttered plant related plots, and with a few other noblemen who had obviously not heard the rumors yet. The party was drawing to a close, when...

"WHERE IS SHE?!" The Earl of Beral shouted, his face bright red with rage as he searched around the party.

I looked around the room slowly, and sure enough, Lady Erica, who had been dancing and socializing at the party, was nowhere to be found.

The Countess of Erand and Edith stepped forward in the sudden hush, the crowd parting to let them through.

"Perhaps she is taking a rest." Edith's mother tried to calm the man. "I'll ask the servants to check..."

"I'VE ALREADY CHECKED, SHE'S GONE! I BET YOU SHE RAN OFF WITH THAT TRAITOR FROM THE EASTERN GUARD!" He glared at Edith, his words laced with suspicion. "She spoke with you quite a few times tonight, what did she say to you?"

Edith looked confused. "Nothing important, just fashion, the weather..."

"She couldn't have done this alone, you helped my fiancé to run off!" He glared at the two women.

Edith looked frustrated. "Why would I do that?"

"Perhaps she paid you! I don't know!" The older man threw up his hands. "But she just so happens to disappear from your party.... I know you had a hand in this!"

Edith shot a pleading look over to Prince Ronan, who was watching from the sidelines, but he simply shook his head, refusing to speak. The Earl was extremely wealthy and well connected. He was also one of the Prince's greatest supporters. Ronan wouldn't risk alienating him. Not even for a woman he loved.

"Coward." Nate whispered under his breath.

"I swear I had nothing to do with your fiance's disappearance!" Edith then began to cry, her tears drawing sympathy from the crowd.

The earl stepped back, his face bleak. "Very well. But I won't forget what you've done tonight."

With that, he was gone.

The room collectively let out a sigh of relief with his retreat, but the mood of the party was definitely broken. As people prepared to leave, Nate grinned at me. "Strong work, rescuing a damsel in distress."

I kept an innocent expression. "I don't know what you mean, I was just here to enjoy a party."

"So I assume that's where the travel papers I had made went to?"

I nodded, and he laughed.

"Starting a new store branch in Tilendria with an escaped noblewoman and a deserting captain... you never do things as expected do you?"

"Maybe not as YOU expect."

"Well, at least now, you have a reason to come visit me in Tilendria." His smile was bright, "You should at least check in on your store occasionally, right?"

I held up my hands helplessly. "Tilendria's a big country. Even if I go check on the store, I can't guarantee we would see each other."

"That reminds me...." He passed me an envelope with a grin. I took it, feeling some exasperation.

"You and your envelopes. What is it now?"

"Information regarding land for sale in Tilendria." He smiled. It's in the Capital, right in the heart of the city, perfect for a business. You said you were opening up a new branch, so I asked around."

I sighed. "You can't keep doing me favors."

"Oh, it not just a favor, this definitely benefits me, in many ways. After all, you'll pay taxes right?"

"Yes, but what does that...?"

"Oh, there's the signal!" He grinned, turning away. "It's time for the flower heist!"

Groaning, I turned away, and prepared to leave the party. Sensing an angry stare at my back, I turned to the side to catch Ronan's gaze. He seemed bitter, likely upset that the rumors he had started hadn't affected me at all. I smiled at him, allowing him to see the mockery in it, and walked away.

In the carriage ride home, Henry clutched the large flowery bush, ignoring the wrath of Hallers at dirtying the carriage. I stared out the window, thinking things over.

Lady Erica had successfully eloped with her Captain. I was happy to have that out of the way, even more so that suspicion had been cast on someone else besides me. I remembered that man's ruthlessness in my last life, and had no desire to face off with him again in this one.

I have enough enemies; let someone else deal with him for a change.

With the failure of the rumors to bring me around, I knew that Ronan would switch his strategy soon. My mind flipped through the possibilities, unsure of which route he would take. But i would get some sleep tonight and think about it further in the morning.

But as I entered my house, and saw the stranger sitting in the visiting room, I realized that he had struck much sooner then I had expected.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

46.4K 4K 67
Stories of how to survive as an evil duke's daughter are nothing new. But then fate just had to, really had to, put Lizzie at the center of such repe...
117K 5.4K 67
She is the poison but tasty. No wonder these five men are dying to drink that tasty poison. ~~~~~~~~ Asteria, the famous business woman who died in h...
15.3K 922 46
"You're even more badass than before," Caleb said, his blue eyes twinkling in amusement. - Bianca moved on, she grew up. She mended her shattered pie...
251K 10.6K 26
Alora and Ronan has been together since high school. They're engaged to be married but they have envious enemies lurking in the shadows. On one of Al...