Hearts & Minds | WATTY Winner

By OliviaBoler

ABOUT THE BOOK: **A Watty Award 2020 Winner in the Literary Fiction category! Featured Wattpad Editors' Pick... More

Prologue | Tragedy at High Tea
Chapter 1 | The Funeral | Part 1
Chapter 1 | The Funeral | Part 2
Chapter 2 | Bunny's Plans |Part 1
Chapter 2 | Bunny's Plans | Part 2
Chapter 2 | Bunny's Plans | Part 3
Chapter 3 | Dolores Park | Part 1
Chapter 3 | Dolores Park | Part 3
Chapter 4 | Wine vs. Tea
Chapter 5 | The Warming Hut | Part 1
Chapter 5 | The Warming Hut | Part 2
Chapter 6 | The Canyon
Chapter 7 | Cool Beans | Part 1
Chapter 7 | Cool Beans | Part 2
Chapter 8 | Old Timer | Part 1
Chapter 8 | Old Timer | Part 2
Chapter 9 | A Visit | Part 1
Chapter 9 | A Visit | Part 2
Chapter 9 | A Visit | Part 3
Chapter 10 | Cuddle Pup | Part 1
Chapter 10 | Cuddle Pup | Part 2
Chapter 11 | Changes Afoot
Chapter 12 | Will Jones | Part 1
Chapter 12 | Will Jones | Part 2
Chapter 13 | Organic Juice | Part 1
Chapter 13 | Organic Juice | Part 2
Chapter 14 | Pied-à-terre | Part 1
Chapter 14 | Pied-à-terre | Part 2
Chapter 14 | Pied-à-terre | Part 3
Chapter 14 | Pied-à-terre | Part 4
Chapter 15 | True Love | Part 1
Chapter 15 | True Love | Part 2
Chapter 16 | The Promise | Part 1
Chapter 16 | The Promise | Part 2
Chapter 16 | The Promise | Part 3
Chapter 17 | Earth Day
Chapter 18 | Big Winnings | Part 1
Chapter 18 | Big Winnings | Part 2
Chapter 18 | Big Winnings | Part 3
Chapter 19 | The Fur Ball | Part 1
Chapter 19 | The Fur Ball | Part 2
Chapter 20 | Demons | Part 1
Chapter 20 | Demons | Part 2
Chapter 21 | Red Handed | Part 1
Chapter 21 | Red Handed | Part 2
Chapter 21 | Red Handed | Part 3
Chapter 22 | Barking Mad
Chapter 23 | Girlfriends' Getaway | Part 1
Chapter 23 | Girlfriends' Getaway | Part 2
Chapter 23 | Girlfriends' Getaway | Part 3
Chapter 24 | The Winery | Part 1
Chapter 24 | The Winery | Part 2
Chapter 24 | The Winery | Part 3
Chapter 25 | Sheet Music | Part 1
Chapter 25 | Sheet Music | Part 2
Chapter 25 | Sheet Music | Part 3
Chapter 26 | Postcard XXL
Chapter 27 | St. Helena | Part 1
Chapter 27 | St. Helena | Part 2
Chapter 27 | St. Helena | Part 3
Chapter 28 | Hollywood Ending
Chapter 29 | L.A. Postcard
Hearts & Minds Playlist (WIP)

Chapter 3 | Dolores Park | Part 2

911 87 16
By OliviaBoler

     "Unfortunately, my parent's rigged it so I don't receive any funds if I...displease them," Theo said.

"And is that what you're doing by taking a break?" Nora asked.

"Most definitely."

"If you don't want to be an attorney, what do you want to do?"

"Good question." He paused as Pumpkin christened a fire hydrant. "My parents own a vineyard. Well...my dad owns a vineyard and my mom owns a winery. It started out as an investment-slash-hobby for them, but since the divorce, it's become an actual necessity, at least for my mom. I help her out with the business. Everything from pouring wine in the tasting room to flying off to Burgundy to talk grapes with French vintners."

Nora's curiosity was piqued even more. "I take it your father has a job."

"He's a VP in management consulting at Moorehaven."

Nora nodded. Even she had heard of the global mega-firm that employed the brightest and best from the top universities of the world, including the offspring of former U.S. Presidents and U.K. Prime Ministers.

"He travels a lot, gets very little sleep, and mostly works." Theo pressed his lips together, and shook his head at some unspoken thought. She didn't press.

"The wine business is all right," Theo continued, his voice growing brighter. "And the Napa Valley is awesome. Lots of hiking and rock climbing, stuff like that. I take some online business workshops, and I teach swimming, too."

Nora smiled. "Really? Like, to kids or adults?"

"Mostly kids. I used to lifeguard and I was on the swim team in high school and college. I teach about once a week because I'm busy with the winery, but I wish I could do more. I love working with kids. They're so...I know this is cliche, but they're so unvarnished. Everything they say, everything they do...their emotions are just laid out, heart-on-sleeve style. " He paused, thinking it over. "I would have liked to teach, I think. Not adults though. After I graduated from college I did some tutoring at a community college. It was okay, but not for me." He seemed lost in a memory, one that brought a pained look to his face.

"You could still teach kids, though," Nora said. "It's never too late to get your credential, right?"

"Ah," he waved his hand, dismissing his dreams. "My mother would kill me."

Nora sensed it was a good idea to let the subject drop.

"So, swimming, hiking, and rock climbing. Sounds like a lot of exercise." What a dork!

He smiled. "Yeah, I guess. I like going off the grid sometimes, but Napa is pretty plugged in. If it weren't for my family, I don't know if I'd stick around."

She was puzzling this over when he asked, "What about you, Nora? Do you like running an English-Irish-Chinese tearoom? Is it the end all be all of your existence?"

She knew he was teasing, but she had to be honest. "I do. I do like it. I guess I'm lucky that way." Was it pathetic to know what you wanted to be when you grew up and you were only in your mid-twenties?

"I envy you," Theo said, all kidding aside. He nudged her with his shoulder and she tried not to shiver at the spark she felt from the contact. "But you must at least have a hobby. And don't say its reading tea leaves."

"I actually do have a hobby. I play the guitar."

"Really? Are you any good?"

She laughed. "My, you are direct. I can hold my own around a campfire."

"I'd love to hear you play some time."

"Sure. Some time."

"What kind of music do you like?"

"Oh, the old favorites. 'Blowin' in the Wind,' 'Kumbaya,' the Indigo Girls." She hesitated before revealing her next tidbit. "I sometimes...write songs too."

He raised his eyebrows. "Say what? Like Lorde? Or Jewel? You write original stuff? Now I have to hear you perform. You must give me an acoustic concert."

She shook her head. "No, no, no. They're just silly little diddies. Dumb songs. I don't play them for anyone."

He raised his eyebrows. "Not even your mom and sister?"

"Not even them. Well..." She backtracked. Nora didn't like to tell half-truths, even to make a point. "Sometimes, but not all that often, and only because they can hear me through the walls. Besides, there's no time. The Cottage keeps me busy." Saying it reminded her that soon that would no longer be the case—all because of Theo's mother. She shook off the unpleasant thought. He must've been thinking the same thing because he looked away and didn't say anything.

They had reached the edge of Dolores Park, at its southwestern corner on the top of a hill. The park was a wide swath of lawn a few blocks long, sloping downhill between Church and Dolores streets. They were on the end looking over a large playground that was always swarmed by children of every age. In the middle of the park, people lay here and there on the lawn sunbathing despite the post-rain damp and chill. Some walked around evangelizing or selling drugs. The homeless co-mingled with those employed by tech companies, people off their meds with the relatively sane. Dogs ran around off-leash, chasing tennis balls and Frisbees, and nosing into people's picnic coolers. Theo and Nora unclipped the dogs, who roamed by the nearest trees, sniffing and marking their territories.

"The city is amazing," Theo said with a satisfied sigh. "And to answer your earlier question in a less obnoxious way, I am having a good time here." He offered her a smile and she returned it tentatively. "Especially since you're showing me around."

He was just being flirty, but joy flooded Nora's heart anyway. She watched him stretch his arms up to the sky, letting her eyes drift over the skin of his stomach, exposed for a few seconds. "The city's okay," she felt like saying. "You are amazing." But, being Nora, she didn't say anything except a boring old, "Oh, this is just our usual walk."

"Hey," Theo stopped stretching and pointed. "Isn't that your sister?"

Rainey was indeed in Dolores Park. She held her giant, intimidating camera and was shooting pictures of people. Nora let out a slow breath.

"That's Rainey all right."

"So she's the photographer and you're the songwriter."

"Hardly. I mean, the songwriter part. And Rainey...well, I guess she has an artist's soul." Goodness, it sounded so cheesy, but it fit the bill. "That is true."

"Let's go see what she's doing." Theo started walking in Rainey's direction, and Nora reluctantly followed, sad to have to share him. She also dreaded Rainey's sisterly taunts. The good thing about Rainey was that in almost all situations, she preferred attention to be showered upon her, so in this instant, when she was working with her camera, she probably wouldn't be able to concentrate too well on teasing Nora or flirting with Theo. Most likely she was in "The Zone," as she called it.

"Hello there, Miss Ko-Harvey," Theo called out. Rainey looked up from her camera, which was pointed at a beautiful pair of girls lounging on lawn chairs, one in a gold lamé jumpsuit, the other in a silver prom dress. Even though it wasn't a warm day, the latter girl's shoulders were bare in her strapless gown. Nora's back was suddenly sweaty and itchy, and she was completely unglamorous, all bulky and swaddled up as she was.

Rainey blinked a couple of times—yes, she was definitely Zoning—taking a moment to recognize her blushing sister and handsome cousin. Nora looked a little—what was it? Rainey sensed something afoot and raised her eyebrows. "Well, well, well. Aren't the two of you cozy."

Nora wanted to hiss at her sister to hush up, but that would mean calling attention to herself in front of Theo. The next best thing she could muster, and her fallback when it came to dealing with Rainey in public, was to pretend she had not heard her.

Theo glanced from one sister to the other. Nora faked obliviousness with him too. He raised his eyebrows and said to Rainey, "That's a sweet camera you've got there."

Rainey beamed. She loved her camera. "Well, thank you very much. It was a graduation gift from your grandfather." She paused. "Huh. That's kind of weird to say. Grandpa Cole. Uncle Cole. Grandpa Cole. Uncle Cole. "

"Uncle Cole was also a grandfather, Rainey," Nora said. "Lots of men are."

"It's just weird. I mean to think that our own dad, may he rest in peace, could've been a granddad too, if one of us had had a kid when we were teenagers."

===

     Hey, Wattpad Friends! Thank you for reading the middle part (part 2) of Chapter 3: Dolores Park. HEARTS & MINDS is coming right along, isn't it just? The third and final part of this chapter follows. I'm also working on putting together the playlist that inspired me while writing this novel, but I want to kind of assign each chapter or character a song. I need to think about it more.

Thanks, again! Please vote and comment! —Olivia

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.6M 223K 49
Highest Ranking on hotlist: #1 #Wattpad Exclusive Story #New paid exclusive chapters available Her confusion multiplied, looking at the unrefined fur...
504K 16K 38
Nora James has spent her entire life taking care of her sisters. After her parent's messy divorce and her mother's desire to pursue her own dreams aw...
48.4K 1.1K 31
~ Featured 2× on @StoriesUndiscovered's Reading List Tales Of The Heart. ~ Featured on @WattpadEmpowered's Reading List Monthly Spotlight. ~ Winner...
102K 11.9K 37
★ Sequel to Wattys 2019 winner, A Pocket Full of Posies (#1) ★ After revealing his supernatural abilities, Felix Reynolds and his friends embark on a...