The Emerald Thief - Merlin BB...

Від The3meraldQueen

[1/3] Edythe - BBC Merlin Series Edythe has run for her whole life, living in a constant loop of never belong... Більше

Disclaimers
Playlist
Prologue
Chapter 1: Misfortune
Chapter 2: Company of Knights
Chapter 3: My Game
Chapter 4: You Can Run
Chapter 5: Condemned
Chapter 6: Cellmates
Chapter 7: Allies?
Chapter 8: To The Rescue
Chapter 9: The Hell Stone
Chapter 10: Making Changes
Chapter 11: Uncertainty
Chapter 12: Camelot
Chapter 14: Order for One, please
Chapter 15: Percival's Birthday
Chapter 16: Bloodbound Secrets
Chapter 17: With Mindless Actions
Chapter 18: Friendly Encounters
Chapter 19: Watch Your Back
Chapter 20: Iseldir's Wisdom
Chapter 21: Forgive and Forget
Chapter 22: Lancelot
Chapter 23: Betrayal
Chapter 24: Magic and Destiny
Chapter 25: Second Chances
Chapter 26: Starlight Whispers
Chapter 27: Farewell, Princess
Chapter 28: Feast of Beltane
Chapter 29: Morgana Pendragon
Chapter 30: If Tomorrow Comes
Chapter 31: Despair No More
Chapter 32: This is My Home
Epilogue
Author's Note
The Red Knight

Chapter 13: Physician's Apprentice

1.2K 38 5
Від The3meraldQueen

Not much has happened in the time of Arthur's absence. I've found doing nothing quite strange, considering I'd usually be on the road working. I became so restless that I joined Gwen in most of her choirs, giving her a hand sometimes despite her protests. I think she enjoyed the company, though.

Of course, there were times when I couldn't be around Gwen, so I'd try to be with Merlin. Though he couldn't have me tagging along all the time either as a servant himself, so instead, I found comfort from Gaius. My throat has healed much faster than I would have thought with his help. His talents are beyond anything I've ever witnessed. The bruise is now a vibrant range of yellows and greens, but I can frequently speak.

Gaius has been very welcoming, like everyone else here so far. He has wished me no ill will, but for some reason, when he thinks I'm not looking, he'll be closely observing me. It is as if he is trying to figure something out, with no hatred in his face, only curiosity. When I tried confronting him about it, Gaius dismissed it as "You look so alike to someone I once knew, that is all."

I chose not to press further, unsure if it would be my place to ask the person he speaks of. I know there's more to his stare that he won't tell me, but I chose to push the thought to the side. I don't want to ruin the relationship I've already built with the physician.

I sit on the edge of a table in Gaius' chambers and workplace. I watch fondly as the Physician works on a medicine for a man in the lower town. He mixes disgusting looking substances while grinding some herbs into thin layers. I swing my legs, hands firmly on the table's edge, as I peer over Gaius' shoulder to observe his talents further.

"I heard the King has finally found time to assist you", Gaius states, his eyes never once removed from his task.

"Yes, well, I hope so, at least. Gwaine said Arthur's been busier than usual. So I may still have to wait more time," I answer, my hopes still not high for the meeting with Arthur.

If I ever can't spend time with Gwen, Merlin or Gaius, my last source is the training grounds where I know I'm bound to find one of the knights. Strangely enough, I've begun to like the four knights that I have gotten to know whilst in Olaf's kingdom, all very welcoming to me. However, I've discovered Leon is still wary, and he's not so welcoming as the others, yet still, I don't mind his company. The Knight is good to be around when you want maturity.

On the other hand, Gwaine has become a close friend despite being the most immature. Though I wouldn't tell him that or else all hell will break loose, and I'll never get a moment of peace. Elyan and Percival are the calmer of the four, good at giving advice and helping me escape Gwaine if necessary.

"Arthur speaks highly of you. I'm sure he'll find the time", Gaius offers, now putting the herbs into the liquid boiling above a small fire.

"If he is unsure what to do with you, tell Arthur I wouldn't mind a new assistant. Merlin means well, and he tries very hard, but even he can't do everything," Gaius continues. He now hurries across the room to fetch a book.

I slide off the table. "An assistant?"

"You already have a keen eye for herbs, and I won't deny that I enjoy your presence" Gaius admits, his eyes now on me with a gentle smile. "I think you have potential, Edythe. I'm glad Arthur has seen it too. Camelot would benefit from someone like you."

With Gaius' words, I begin to have a recollection of what Ivo had said in the stone and Olaf's last farewells to me. Everyone seems to see this potential in me, but I don't know why. I'm trying to change for my good, and I'm grateful that so many people want to give me a chance, but is this potential just something they want to see? Or do I have so many possibilities for the future?

"Are you alright?" Gaius asks, now appearing in front of me. I must have gotten lost in my thoughts for a moment and didn't notice his movement.

"Yes...I just..." I pause, taking a moment to try and word how I feel. I put on a mask with everyone else, but like Merlin, I find myself unable to hide anything from Gaius. "I feel like everyone has too much faith in me."

"Do you not believe you can change?"

"No..."

"Then why not let yourself see the faith that others do?" Gaius asks, placing his hands on both my shoulders.

There is no honest answer to his question. I couldn't come up with a real solution if I tried. "I don't know", I whisper, looking down to the floor.

"I think..." Gaius begins, pulling my chin up with his index finger to force my gaze on him. "You need to open your mind. Envision a clean slate and paint it with new opportunities."

"I'm trying. It can just...be hard sometimes," I explain truthfully, letting some of my worries out in the open. "I know I have walls-as everyone keeps reminding me-and I'm trying to let them down...but it's hard after living so long with them up."

"Of course, Edythe. It is only natural that you will find obstacles in your new path," Gaius notes wisely. "I will help you as best I can, as I am sure Arthur and many other people here will."

***

"The tavern?" Arthur and I ask in unison, giving each other a similar look of disgust.

"Yes! What is a more everyday experience than working in the tavern!" Gwaine offers, a little too excited by the idea.

"I could think of a few", Leon counters, also surprised by Gwaine's proposition.

"When I said I need your guidance, Gwaine, I didn't mean it", Arthur notes, leaning back in his chair. "I didn't think you were going to give opinions when you insisted Edythe needs emotional support-"

"Which I don't", I add, glaring at Gwaine for even suggesting such a thing.

Arthur had summoned for us to have a council meeting in my room, bringing along everyone present in Olaf's Kingdom to be my support along with Agravaine and Gaius for further influence. Most men stand whilst Arthur, Agravaine, Gaius and I sit. Merlin stands behind Gaius whilst the Knights gather around the table.

"Sire, if I may", Gaius interjects, "I have observed Edythe having some knowledge in healing. I want to propose that she become my apprentice."

"That is a good option", Arthur notes, looking to me for clarification.

I nod, not too sure what else there is that I could do. At least this way, I could put some of what I know to good use and learn more. Also, if I have something to focus on, it'll make getting used to the change easier.

"Still think my ideas better", Gwaine grumbles, crossing his arms. The other knights roll their eyes.

"Sire, do we really trust this thief enough to treat your people" Agravaine hisses, giving me a glare in his annoyance. I provide the raven-haired man with a scroll in response.

"Uncle, I've assured you that Edythe will be a wise edition to Camelot" Arthur scrolls back at his uncle, making me feel quite smug. "Gaius, I think that is a brilliant idea. Edythe will have much to learn from you."

"Well, we can't have her stay with Gaius. His chambers are crowded enough between all his equipment and Merlin", Agravaine protests, seeming to pick at anything that'll put a thorn in my side. I glare at him, already beginning to see what Gwaine had explained to me of the King's Uncle.

"I assure you, we can make room, Sire", Gaius defends, his tone also getting agitated by Agravaine.

"There will be no need", Arthur interjects. "Edythe can stay in the room she has been for as long as needed."

"You don't have to be so assisting. I can look after myself. I can find my own previsions," I insist, my voice smaller than I intended. I hear Agravaine scoff across the room, making my patience with him even thinner.

"No need Edythe. I promised to assist you in any way that I can, and I will keep my promise," Arthur assures in an authorised manner.

Turning to his men and Uncle, Arthur begins to order, "Now, there will be no vulgar treatment toward Edythe. She has just as much right to be here as anyone else. All past disputes are to be put aside," Arthur directs at his Uncle. "Hopefully, by the end of the month, we will have convinced Edythe to stay. But if she wishes to leave, that is her choice."

***

Leon and Percival circle one another, swords in hand, as they glare into each other's eyes. The other knights of Camelot watch on, either sharpening their blades, practising with hay dummies, or sitting off to the side waiting their turn. I sit off to the side on a rack for spears, watching as the two men navigate each other, strategising how to take down their opponent.

Leon moves first, so swiftly that I almost don't see him, his sword-bearing down on Percival. Luckily, Percival deflects the attack with his sword. The loud clunk of metal on metal fills the silent field bringing a roar of cheers from the crowd of men. Percival quickly retaliates, bearing down on the smaller knight with so much force I feel my gut twist in panic for Leon. However, the feeling is short-lived as the knight ducks under Percival's prominent figure. Leon turns on Percival, bringing his sword down on him. The larger knight quickly reacts as he spins around, catching Leon off guard.

Their swords meet each other again, the two engaging in a duel as neither allow the other to get the upper hand—the crowd of knights roar. The name chanting is even as they pick their champion. I almost don't catch the last few movements as Percival disarms Leon in a fancy twist of his sword. Leon falls back stunned, the crowd all letting out laughter. A grin bursts on Percival's lips, the knight excited about winning. Percival helps Leon to his feet, the two patting each other on their backs.

The crowd praises Percival, some yelling joking comments over to Leon. He shakes his head in amusement. The light brown-haired knight escapes the crowd whilst Percival jokingly gloats, coming over to where I sit to discard his sword.

"That was a close one", I comment, giving the knight a warm greeting smile.

It has been a little over a week since Arthur had decided what I would do for my time in Camelot. So far, the place is beginning to grow on me already as I've learned my way around without fault. Gaius has started his teachings, already proud of my efforts to try and learn as much as I can. Because I can get 'homesick' if that's what I can call it, Gaius often sends me on trips out to fetch herbs. This is to Merlin's liking, as he has one less job to do.

I want to think otherwise, but I know guards are watching me all the time. Knights follow my every movement. I still can't decide if Arthur is cautious or Agravaine wants to find dirt on me.

Gaius gives me breaks from time to time, which I understand, knowing sometimes he'll need to attend to wounds and patients on his own. In times like that–like now, I'll come to the training grounds to watch the Knights train. It's pretty entertaining, and I get to learn a thing or two from observation.

I've tried my best to be social, but I stick mainly to the people I already know, as socialising comes easy with them. Gwaine is my number one fan, as we've joked. Leon still seems to be a little off about my presence, but he's never been mean to me. If anything, the knight is a wonderful gentleman, but I see he still has doubts.

"Yes. I'll have to improve my defence," Leon notes, returning his sword to its rack. His eyes run across the stand, searching for a new weapon to practice with.

I rock my legs over the edge of the rack. "No, I think your defence is just fine. I think if anything, you need to work on misdirection."

I've made it my mission to at least get on some form of a good spot with Leon. I've decided if I'm going to stay here, I need to try and make more friends. I don't want anyone disliking me. Though I'm positive, I won't change that with Agravaine (not that he counts). Besides, once I set my mind to something, it's hard to stop me.

My suggestion catches Leon off guard, his actions pausing as he evaluates what I have said. Curiosity gets the better of him, the knight turning to face me. "How so?"

A smile tugs my cheeks at accomplishing his attention, at least. "Well, Percival is a much larger opponent, so your logical response was to defend against his strength. I'd say use that to your advantage. You're smaller, faster. So misdirect him. His reaction will have to be delayed, then strike. You win."

"You know your fighting skills", Leon observes, surprise in his voice as he leans against the rack. His attention is now entirely on me.

"I know the basics", I answer, feeling accomplished in gaining conversation, to which I haven't so far. "Got to know a thing or two when on the road, especially if you're a woman."

Leon nods in understanding, impressed. "Give yourself a little credit. I think you know more than just the 'basics'." A smile grows on his lips.

"Possibly", I reply, "not enough to take you on, though."

Leon chuckles. "Honestly, Edythe. From what I've observed of you, I'd say anything is possible."

I chuckle, shaking my head. "I'd protest against that, but it makes me sound menacing. So I won't deny it. That way, you won't mess with me."

Leon chuckles louder this time, hands raised. "I wouldn't dare."

"Although in seriousness, you'll have to teach me that slick sword dodging skill", I state. The heat instantly raises on my cheeks at the suggestion. Sometimes my quick tongue is too fast, and I don't understand what I have said before saying it.

"Possibly", Leon answers, intrigued, surprisingly not objecting to the idea. "Your schedule might be too packed."

"Oh, jam-packed", I answer sarcastically, feeling good that Leon is smiling and enjoying our conversation. "Speaking of. Judy calls," I chime, sliding off the rack with a skip in my step.

"Gaius is treating you well then?"

"Of course. Gaius is very welcoming. Though, according to Merlin, I haven't seen his bad side yet."

Leon chuckles. "Best not discover it then."

"Agreed."

I begin to walk toward the Castle, stopping as Leon calls, "We'll have to continue this conversation sometime. It's strangely easy to talk to you."

A smile stretches across my face, teeth grazing my bottom lip. "Yeah, it is. I'll see you around, Sir Leon."

Leon nods, giving me a wave as I continue my walk back to the Castle with a skip in my step from accomplishment. I've managed to at least get on Leon's good side, which was my intention. I didn't expect to talk with the knight so quickly. I thought he would be sterner as I've seen from him so far, but once again, I have misjudged someone.

I find myself looking forward to our next encounter, the conversation on my mind as I return to work.

***

"Earth to Edythe", Gwaine sings, snapping his fingers in front of my face. I leap out of my daydream with a start, my eyes wide as I try to recall my whereabouts. "How hard has Gaius been working you?"

I rub my eyes, imagining the dark purple circles under them. "Not very hard. I got enticed by a book last night and couldn't bring myself to stop. Did you know reading is actually really thrilling?" I question, surprised that I hadn't discovered this sooner.

One trip to the library and I found a whole new world I've never had the luxury of discovering. "I mean, I'm not the greatest at reading, but I never understood the appeal till now. It's so enticing."

Gwaine squints at the thought. "Personally, I've never found reading thrilling."

The two of us sit in a tavern called 'The Rising Sun' in the dark back corner. I agreed to spend the afternoon with Gwaine as he got the rest of the day off, and I just so happened to have nothing to do today. Gaius has been caught up with a serious case of some sickness that I couldn't help with. Unlike me, Gwaine has two tankards of mead in front of him, gloves shoved to the side.

Gwaine told me about his day when I got side-tracked and started to doze off into a much-needed sleep. The days around here begin to blend as my first week turns into my first two and a half. Despite the short time living here, I'm starting to integrate into the daily routine. I'm enjoying the comfort of a bed, having a meal every night and the peace of mind. This is what I could only describe as retiring.

Although it's taken a bit of lecturing from both Gaius and Gwaine, I've managed my flinching and cautious mind to a comfortable level. Now I don't nearly knock someone out for simply giving me a friendly gesture.

"You're doing it again, Edythe", Gwaine huffs, trying to seem serious but is amused by my absence of mind.

I shake my head, trying to stay in the present. "Sorry, what?"

"I said, it is Percival's birthday next week and that a party will be held in the Hall", Gwaine explains, gesturing toward the Castles' direction. "I was wondering if you were going to attend?"

I raise an eyebrow at the suggestion. It's been a long time since I celebrated the day of someone's birth. I find it quite odd to give into such celebrations, but one could argue I have never had my birthday. I never knew my date of birth. Perhaps that's why I've never understood the fondness.

"I suppose I could", I answer, spinning a spoon on the wooden table. I have nothing else to do, and it would be good for me to try these kinds of traditions.

"Then it is accustomed that a lady such as yourself be escorted to such an event", Gwaine suggests with a thick mocking accent. The spoon comes to a halt, my eyes shooting up to Gwaine in protest as I'm now fully awake. "So, would you, Edythe, like to be escorted by yours truly to Percival's celebration?"

I freeze for a moment, unsure of what to think or say. Firstly, I've never been asked to an event, especially by a male. Secondly, I've never been escorted, courted or whatever else a woman fantasises about. And thirdly, I'm not sure I like how Gwaine may see this or anyone else for that matter.

In my sceptical thinking, Gwaine responds as if hearing my thoughts, "As friends, of course. Nothing serious, just some harmless fun."

I already feel the weight of so many questions running through my mind ceasing with his words. Thankfully Gwaine is already proving to be different from other men I've met in my travels.

"Well...I suppose...when you put it that way..." I state, not fully committed to the idea, but not entirely against it either. "Is this considered a 'normal' thing?"

"Of course. " Gwaine responds with a cocky grin, "most women would die to be asked."

I glare at the knight. "Modest much", I mock, rolling my eyes in amusement ", fine. I'll go. But don't expect to be holding hands or whatever."

"Noted. Hands to self," Gwaine promises, crossing his heart in clarification ", you won't regret it."

"We'll see about that", I grumble, not liking the shit-eating grin that Gwaine has on his face.

Even though I'm annoyed by his enthusiasm, I feel good about making Gwaine happy. He begins to discuss whatever he chatters on about in a cheerful tone. He reminds me of a child being given a gift in ways, and I don't know why, but that makes me like him more. His wide grin makes the knight look younger, more vibrant with excitement, and that fills me with peace. It gives me hope for the world that with souls like Gwaine's out there, everything could be just that bit brighter.

Продовжити читання

Вам також сподобається

17.3K 633 20
Arthur Pendragon has always trusted his father's opinion of sorcery. He has witnessed, first hand, the atrocities Camelot's enemies could commit with...
6.8K 308 17
VIGILANTE SHIT- ❝ revenge is a good look on you ❞ IN WHICH, two sorcerers in camelot are both destined to take care of the king's most beloved, arthu...
21.2K 758 15
Uther begins to fear Arthur's strength and power he holds over his knights and banishes him. Arthur must then begin to fight to become the king he is...
1.7K 80 24
"It can't be him! It can't be Ethan!" Follow Merlin as he goes through the troubles of being a prince in hiding. What happens when a letter arrives i...