The Emerald Thief - Merlin BB...

Por The3meraldQueen

[1/3] Edythe - BBC Merlin Series Edythe has run for her whole life, living in a constant loop of never belong... Mais

Disclaimers
Playlist
Prologue
Chapter 1: Misfortune
Chapter 2: Company of Knights
Chapter 3: My Game
Chapter 4: You Can Run
Chapter 5: Condemned
Chapter 6: Cellmates
Chapter 7: Allies?
Chapter 8: To The Rescue
Chapter 9: The Hell Stone
Chapter 10: Making Changes
Chapter 12: Camelot
Chapter 13: Physician's Apprentice
Chapter 14: Order for One, please
Chapter 15: Percival's Birthday
Chapter 16: Bloodbound Secrets
Chapter 17: With Mindless Actions
Chapter 18: Friendly Encounters
Chapter 19: Watch Your Back
Chapter 20: Iseldir's Wisdom
Chapter 21: Forgive and Forget
Chapter 22: Lancelot
Chapter 23: Betrayal
Chapter 24: Magic and Destiny
Chapter 25: Second Chances
Chapter 26: Starlight Whispers
Chapter 27: Farewell, Princess
Chapter 28: Feast of Beltane
Chapter 29: Morgana Pendragon
Chapter 30: If Tomorrow Comes
Chapter 31: Despair No More
Chapter 32: This is My Home
Epilogue
Author's Note
The Red Knight

Chapter 11: Uncertainty

1.1K 39 4
Por The3meraldQueen

I still couldn't believe what had happened. Even as I was presented with my belongings, minus my weapons, of course, and a horse geared up for the journey back to Camelot. Olaf and even Arthur made sure I was set up for my new life in Camelot. Arthur has already boasted about the wonders of his Kingdom and the life I may lead in this unknown future.

The shock from the stone and the events passed slowly fade away, giving my spirits back. It feels great to have something normal after the past chaotic week. Although it will take some days before my voice regains its full strength, I'm already finding my sassy remarks boil back to the surface. Getting to be me again is everything I need for the hard road ahead. It's going to take a little more than wanting to change for the actual rehabilitation to happen.

A few hours after being in the hall, I find myself in the main Square. I wait patiently for the Knights of Camelot to prepare themselves for the journey ahead. I tried to help my saviours prepare for a trip I had caused them, but Merlin insisted I needed rest. It's as if my throat would stop my movements. I watch on, still caught up in my mind, as the men move around the square.

I still can't quite grasp the reality, and I know it'll hit like a ton of boulders later.

I catch sight of Gwaine and Leon, the two men having a short shuffling wrestle, bringing a small smile to my lips in amusement. They bump into a crate of artefacts delivered earlier for the Princess, a small ornament beginning to fall back. I leap up, ready to jump for it, but the fall lasts just as long as it begins.

Gwaine swiftly changes the object in his left hand whilst holding Leon back with the other. The knights look my way, letting out a loud chuckle of amusement. I shake my head in disapproval, but my laugh betrays me. It sounds more like a shriek, though, as I avoid the painful way of laughing.

"Edythe?" a deep voice announces, causing me to turn. I see Arthur and Olaf standing at the top of the stairs I've been sitting on. "Can I speak with you?" Olaf asks, gesturing toward the Royal Gardens, the entrance to the left of the square.

I nod, glancing to Arthur in question. He smiles, nodding to the King and me, before trotting down the stairs to join his men.

Olaf shuffles past me. "Walk with me."

We stroll through the giant archway, the stone walls around us morphing into greens and various colours of roses. The smell is intense but also comforting. We continue along the grassy path away from the world outside, the stone walls covered in vines and luscious green leaves.

Olaf takes in a deep breath, basking in the scent. "I wanted to have a moment alone...I know you can't talk much because of your throat, but I wanted to do more of the talking anyway. So, I'll try and keep this as brief as I can."

I nod for him to continue, our walk becoming slower.

"I-I am sorry for the grief I have caused you, Edythe", Olaf apologises humbly. "I know that Ivo had control, but it doesn't change that I was the one who inflicted the pain. Both figuratively and literally." He gestures hesitantly to my bruised neck.

I nod, softly running my hand over my neck.

"I still remember hearing the rumour of the thief who could obtain nearly anything one desired", Olaf reflects, his mind wandering back to a different time. "You were probably much younger than", he adds, a smile spreading his lips. I nod in agreement, "I found it strange how you had no hesitation to meet me. And it amazed me, even more, when you returned only hours later with a solution to my daughter's curse."

"I've had respect for you ever since, Edythe", Olaf confesses. "You're not just like any other thief. And you're no common criminal either. You have honour. You have bravery. You're not weak."

An appreciative smile grows on my lips, Olaf nodding to me. "So, you must understand...I want you to try your best to listen to Arthur. I want you to try to become a part of the world he builds. I feel we need someone like you in the new world that young men like Arthur will build."

I nod once more, taking the words spoken to me as another sign. The powers above wanted me to hit rock bottom to have nowhere to go but up. The druid elders often taught us the plans crafted for us by the ancient gods and spirits of ancient magic. Of course, I never believed, being a stubborn child. I, strangely enough, may believe in such things now.

***

The road to Camelot does not seem as long as I remember it being before. Arthur orders us to take as few breaks as possible, wanting to be back at Camelot as soon as possible.

I can't help but keep an eye on Arthur's bag tied to his saddle, knowing that the hell stone is inside. Arthur had promised Olaf he would lock it deep in the volts of Camelot where no one could get it. Being so close to it, I can hear distant whispers inside it. I'm not sure if my magic allows this or because I've been in the stone. I also know that Ivo is inside that stone in the back of my mind. The thought frightens me as I'm not a skilled enough sorcerer to understand what that could mean.

The men around me have returned to their old selves, joking and chatting, this time with no threat for them to watch.

It's strange how much has changed in such a short time. I did not know these men or like them only a week ago. Now I've strangely grown to like their company and find myself living with them in the same castle.

Although they are dying to ask me questions and include me, Merlin scolds them and instructs me to stay quiet. Every time this happens, I hold my arms up in defence as a way of saying I'll behave.

After a tiring and uneventful trip, Camelot comes into view. The forest strips away as we ride out onto the meadow that leads to the main gates. Entering the Kingdom once more makes my head spin, knowing that I was brought here only a week ago for other reasons. I wasn't aware or caring that I was in amongst four knights and their King in hindsight. Not until we were riding through the town anyway.

Once more, eyes are all on me, some confusion as I look familiar. Others don't even give me a second look as they resume their daily routine. Many people provide bows to their King, who rides at the head of the group. The action only makes me feel even more awkward than I should.

Other guards and knights of Camelot are quick to greet their comrades and King as we ride into the square. The men all dismount their horses, Arthur quickly making orders. The men begin attending to the horses and other duties I don't quite understand. Looks are given in my direction as I'm the only remaining person on horseback and from the lack of bounds on my wrists.

Noticing this immediately, Arthur announces, "We have a guest, and we will treat her as such."

Out of place and tense from the unknown, I jump at the contact of a hand reaching up for me. I let myself relax as I realise it's Percival, allowing the knight to assist me in dismounting my horse. My limbs shriek in protest as I'm forced to use them again after a long ride.

"Merlin, take Edythe to Gaius for treatment. Make sure she is given everything she needs", Arthur orders. Merlin, not missing a beat as he appears by my side.

"This way", he instructs, my belongings in his arms as the servant rushes up the stone stairs.

I follow silently. We weave through the halls of the Castle, climbing a range of staircases before we reach one of the top floors. Merlin leads the way at a fast pace. We pass the occasional servant who gives strange looks as we pass, not making me feel any more welcome. My mind begins to wonder–perhaps considering regret.

Merlin bursts through a small wooden door, lowering my belonging to the side. He gestures for me to enter. I cautiously stumble into the room, taken back by the scattered contents of books, positions, and god knows what else around the large room. A faint haze of some smoke from candles and burning solutions floats around the creamy room. The dark wooden arches seem far away as they hold the roof above.

"Merlin!" A voice exclaims, an older man with long grey hair stepping out from behind a table full of medicines. "You're back!" he adds, rushing to pull the servant into a tight embrace. Already I presume the man is Gaius, remembering when Merlin told me of the older physician.

"We got a little held up", Merlin responds, patting the old man on his shoulder. "I'll tell you all about it, but first, Edythe needs your help."

Gaius' eyes fell on me, his light eyebrows furrowed in confusion. His eyes run over my bruised neck and other acquired injuries that Merlin had done his best to cover. He seems to be lost in further confusion as his gaze meets my face, his wide eyes in another time almost.

I imagine it's because I was a criminal here in Camelot a week ago. For a moment, there's more behind his eyes in the way he looks at me. I push aside the thought, knowing I'm in no state for observing others.

"Edythe?" Gaius repeats, turning to Merlin for clarification, breaking his intense gaze.

Merlin nods, rushing over to my side. Still dazed and unsure what to do, Merlin grabs onto my wrist, nudging me to enter the room further and to let Gaius tend to my wounds. I sit down on a wooden stool in front of the physician. Merlin gathers Gaius' tools and brings them to his side. Gaius still seems lost in thought as he stares, but he doesn't hesitate to get to work despite this.

First, he tilts my chin from left to right, which is painful from the tender flesh. Although I cringe, the physician still reaches for my wrist, bringing my bloody scabbed hand to his attention. Merlin explains how I acquired each, but I don't catch any of his words as I'm caught in awe watching the older man do his work. Whatever substance he puts on my hand stings, but that doesn't distract me long. Merlin told me of Gaius' skill as a healer, and I see what he meant now.

"You're fortunate nothing was damaged too greatly", Gaius states as he finishes off tending to my throat, putting pressure in places to see what hurts most. He asks me to make certain sounds in one last final check. "You'll have your voice back hopefully before the week is done. I'd continue being delicate about it, don't use your voice unless absolutely necessary."

Although I wish to observe Gaius' work and take mental notes, my consciousness fights against me, demanding I get much-needed sleep. I now understand why Merlin has requested I rest so much. My mind begins to wander, and reality begins to seem distant. Once again, I question if this is reality and the best option.

I think about where I might have been now if I had chosen to run away from Olaf's Kingdom. The imagery of dense wet forest fills my mind, comforting me, almost swaying me into sleep. For a moment, I begin to get a little annoyed, just remembering that I was never paid for the stone. I went to some crazy lengths to retrieve.

I then remember all the people who had been waiting to get into my books, hoping for me to steal or retrieve something for them. That's a fair few disappointed people. In my tired state, I wonder what I could be doing right now, of all the things I could be breaking into...

A sting sparks through my throat as Gaius applies some form of substance. This brings me back to reality. A lazy grin takes my lips as I realise I was already letting my mind wander back to the life I intend to try and sway away from.

I can tell this will be more of a struggle than I initially thought.

Continuar a ler

Também vai Gostar

40.6K 1.3K 17
Merlin is the prince of Crusia. Until his uncle attacked on night of him being crowned prince. He was taken from the battlefield and taken to Ealdor...
131K 4.6K 21
Merlin and Gwaine decide to pull a prank on Arthur, which turns out bad for Merlin. Arthur decides to punish Merlin by going on a hunting trip. What...
1.7K 80 24
"It can't be him! It can't be Ethan!" Follow Merlin as he goes through the troubles of being a prince in hiding. What happens when a letter arrives i...
17.3K 633 20
Arthur Pendragon has always trusted his father's opinion of sorcery. He has witnessed, first hand, the atrocities Camelot's enemies could commit with...