When History Repeats Itself

Par Awushi

***Still needs major editing! Please be patient!*** Kerington 'Kerry' Effah is a twenty-five year old graduat... Plus

Message to readers
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty- One
Chapter Twenty- Two
Chapter Twenty-three
Chapter Twenty-Four

Chapter Eighteen

70 3 1
Par Awushi

With every love story, there is the calm before the storm. And the little events that fall in place like dominoes brewing the storm. I was unaware of the storm coming as I got dressed for Ada's wedding. Since the wedding was taking place at our old church, Dom and I had come in on Friday night from work, suit and dress hanging in the car and overnight bags in the trunk.

After New Year's Eve, we became closer and more intimate each other. Sumaya had seen the glow and gave me a sex education lecture the minute I settled back in the apartment.

I assured her then my mum then aunt Jamila that we were being safe. My dad however avoided the topic like a plague. I was grateful for that. My hands were already full keeping the women in my life calm about my sex life. Last thing I needed was having any awkward conversations with my dad.

"Kerry, aren't you ready yet?" Dom called out from behind my door. My mum had put us in separate rooms after making the rather humiliating declaration that there would be no baby making under her roof.

"Almost!" I said as I grabbed my makeup bag and got my face done in ten minutes. Ada was having a simple small wedding in the church and a reception at Evolve. She only had her younger sister as her maid of honor but she insisted I get a bridesmaid dress even though she had no bridesmaids. I was sitting with Dom in the second row behind her parents. My mum was also going to be on that second row with us. That meant we all had to get to the church early.

I emerged and found Dom and Nii waiting, fully dressed to the nines, in the living room. Dom was in a dark grey suit with a white shirt underneath and a light green tie.

"Mum, time to go!" I called out.

"You look so elegant in mint green" Dom complimented me.

"You look dapper" I traced a finger on the lapel of his suit.

"Of course I look dapper. I'm Dominic Chase of Chase Men"

"A little modesty goes a long way" I said and heard Nii cough to cover up his laugh.

"I call this free advertising" Dom said.

"I'm out! Okay, let's go" my mum appeared in a mint green lace dress that hugged her figure before cascading to the ground. A fascinator sat regally on her head, tipped slightly to the side.

"Dom, I see you checking me out" my mum said and Dom blushed.

"No ma'am. I was just thinking this would be Kerry in a couple of years. My future suddenly looked much brighter"

He hugged me at the waist and smiled down at me.

We got to the church early and sat in our respective pews twenty minutes before the wedding officially began. As Ada's father walked her down the aisle to the altar where Jon stood beaming, I could not help but burst with joy for my friend. They made it.

The whole ceremony was emotional. I could not get over how Dom held my hand while the bride and groom said their vows to each other. It was almost as if he was silently telling me we would make it too.

It was not until the reception that I noticed that the younger ladies especially Ada's work colleagues recognized Dom. It got weird when I realized that some of them even took photos of us together. I figured they would crop me out later and stare at Dom in the photo with dreamy eyes.

Dom was being such a good sport. My mum gave him her camera to take photos and he busied himself taking photos as instructed. I could see what my mum was doing. She was shamelessly showing off her daughter's boyfriend. Every time Dom got up to take a photo, female heads, both young and old, would turn in his direction. I was making sure the catering service Evolve was giving was up to par for Ada's engagement. I finally got a break to spend more time with Dom when it was time to cut the cake. As the wedding tradition went, Ada chose my mum to help her and her groom cut the cake and bless their union in the process. Dom went to take a couple of photos and came to sit by me.

"Maybe I should have taken up photography" he said.

"I'm so sorry she's making you do this. You know what she is up to, right?"

"I've been introduced to more than half the people in this room, of course I see what she is doing" he gave me a disarming smile.

"You know what is annoying though. People asking the most obvious question, is that a Chase Men suit? I just want to yell, No I don't believe in my own brand to wear it!"

"I didn't notice. Is that a Chase Men suit?" I teased.

"I could fire you for that, you know" he nudged me.

"Work Couple Contract strictly forbids that. You need your uncle and dad's permission to even suspend me much more fire me" I reminded him, "I'm protected from you"

"Okay dance with me" he asked and I noticed that couples were trooping to the dance floor.

I followed him to the dance floor and we slow danced. I could see my mum from the corner of my eye snapping away on her camera. A more upbeat tune came up and Dom showed off his dance moves. He was a pretty good dancer.

Then when the deejay started to play the popular Spice Girls' track, Ada came and pulled me and her sister centre stage. I could not believe we were dancing a routine we choreographed for the song during a sleepover several years ago. People were cheering us on and Dom was recording the whole thing!

When the reception was over, I kicked off my heels as Dom and I lay slumped in the couch at home facing a muted TV.

My mother and Nii had retired to bed early.

We sat silently staring at the images on the television and then suddenly the feather light kisses built up to a super heated make out session.

"Technically this is my house so it's my roof. I can do whatever I want under my roof right?" I said trying to calm my breathing.

"No. Your mum's house, her rules. Forget the technicalities" Dom told me.

"She won't know. She's probably deep in sleep by now. There's a whole room between my room and hers" I said suggestively.

"Self-control is a really good virtue, my little minx" he laughed softly before kissing me on the forehead. "Let's get some rest, we head back in the morning"

I pouted when I realized I was truly going to bed alone tonight.

**********************************************************************************

I was always wary when things go too smoothly. Like how things were going great with Dom and me. I knew in the back of my mind that a storm was brewing somewhere but I shut out such thoughts. It was Valentine's Day and also my birthday.

My birthday fell right in the middle of the week. So Wednesday morning, I dragged myself out of bed to go to work. I showered and wore a black and white polka dotted pencil dress that Alexa made me buy last week. It was three quarter sleeved with a defined V-neck and fit nicely. I wore velvety royal blue open toe heels. I had cut my hair shorter to chin length for my birthday.

Sumaya had made me breakfast and sang to me as I blew out a candle on the cupcake.

My dad and aunt Jamila had even dropped by before I left for work to wish me happy birthday and give me my birthday gifts. My dad had bought me a beautiful diamond necklace and I almost chuckled as I realized it was from Lucas Wole's brand. Aunt Jamila had bought me perfume. My mum called and promised to come see me soon even if it was to tuck me in at night.

Dom arrived to pick me up to work. He said he had made birthday plans for later tonight. So this morning, he planted a kiss on my lips then put a charm bracelet around my wrist before wishing me a happy Valentine's Day.

"Lucas would brag about this later. I had it custom made for you" Dom informed me as I played with the charms dangling from the bracelet.

"Lucas has a lot to brag about then. My dad gave me a Lucas Wole diamond necklace"

"Don't mention that to him when you see him later. He's coming in for a meeting"

We got to work and had a final kiss in the car because the minute we entered the company property all non business physical contact seized. We rode up the elevator together, meters apart for good measure. Paba gave me beauty products as a birthday gift once I settled at my desk. She took one look at my wrist and said, "Birthday gift from the boyfriend huh?"

I smiled and twisted my wrist around so she got a better view of it. The elevator doors pulled open and Lucas Wole strolled out.

"Hello good morning" he greeted us then stopped at my desk. "Happy birthday. Nice bracelet"

"Okay Lucas, thanks. It's beautiful" I laughed.

Lucas started his way towards Dom's office when the elevator doors pinged and the doors slid open. And Aoki stepped out.

"Well hello" she said breezily as she walked towards us, in a ruby red 'man eater' pencil dress. Her probably five inch heeled silver sandals clicked rhythmically as she walked. The woman was a stunner.

"Dominic!" Lucas called out and changed direction, walking towards Aoki instead.

He hugged her and asked, "I thought we agreed to Skype instead"

"I was in town. I decided to come in person" she said just as Dom stepped out of his office trying to figure out why Lucas had called out for him.

He took one look at her and almost turned to look at me.

"Aoki. What a surprise?" He said, standing fixed by his door.

"Dom, I was in town so I figured why not show up in person for the business meeting. It is going to be huge. I can't wait to discuss the details with you two" she said and walked towards him then stopped short at my desk. Dom unconsciously took a step forward.

"Hello, I'm Aoki" she flashed me a fake smile. I knew one when I saw it. She was good because it almost looked genuine. I went to an all girls boarding school for families with big names and I knew the difference too well.

"Hello, I'm Kerington" I said with a small smile but my eyes empty of any emotion. Try and unnerve me, Aoki.

"How about we step into my office and have that meeting?" Dom spoke up to fill up the growing silence.

She gave me a good look-over and then strutted into Dom's office, Lucas followed and Dom mouthed to me, "I didn't know she was coming"

I nodded and watched him go into his office and close the door. I knew they were in talks to collaborate for an ad campaign, featuring Aoki's Yang Line, Lucas Wole jewelry and Chase Men's new bold colors and print Blazers.

My boss came in minutes later, wished me happy birthday and gave me two tickets to the opening night of a play by a renown Ghanaian playwright.

I knew immediately I would take aunt Jamila along. The theatre was one interest we both shared. She would be pleased. I sent her a text with a photo of the tickets, inviting her. She sent me a voice note of her screaming 'yes' in delight. At least that put a smile on my face for a while.

I found it hard focusing on my work, knowing Aoki was right there in Dom's office looking like she came off the cover of magazine. They had spent two hours already in there. I was pouting when the elevator doors pinged as they slid open and my mum walked out with a shopping bag in hand.

"Mum?"

"Hello Paba. Thank You for the visitor's access card"

"Happy birthday, baby" she hugged me as I stood to receive her then held out the shopping bag.

I took it from her and looked inside. I pulled out a painting of an old photo of my grandma, mum and me that was taken on my thirteenth birthday. The painting was in black and white with a bronze frame. I caressed the canvas where my grandmother's face was.

"Mum, this is beautiful" I hugged her once more.

"I hope it matches the stuff in your room" she said slowly.

"I don't care if it matches. I want it facing my bed so I wake up to see this" I kissed her cheek affectionately.

"Okay I have to go now" my mum said. "You enjoy the rest of your day"

With that she was gone and I was staring at the painting when I heard Dom's office door open.

"Okay so lunch? It's on me" I heard Aoki's voice say and I set my painting down.

"I'm tied to my desk today" Dom declined the offer smoothly.

"I'm hungry. I'll go with you" Lucas said.

Then she came closer to my desk and said to me, "That bracelet is definitely Lucas' work. Dom does have good taste... in jewelry"

Then at the absolute worst timing of the world, I heard people singing 'Happy birthday' and saw Tim, another designer, their assistants and an intern coming toward me with a birthday cake out from the elevator.

I regained full composure and smiled sweetly as they set the cake down at my desk.

I could not help but notice her gaze flicker over the number '26' shaped candle which was lit and sitting atop swirls of frosting. Her forehead creased as the realization of how much younger I was. Dom usually didn't date that much younger when they were on their 'off' seasons. That much I knew. It irked her I could tell though she masked her annoyance pretty well

I smiled contentedly in her direction as I bowed to blow out the candle. Her looks may have intimidated me but my age unnerved her.

She may be gorgeous but damn I was younger and single women her age worry about single women my age when it came to men. Victory!

She and Lucas hopped into the elevator and took off. Meanwhile the rest of us were cutting up and eating cake. She was not going to ruin my happy day.

After work Dom drove us towards his place. He said he had a nice birthday evening planned. We did not speak of Aoki at all.

I was much happier when I discovered Dom had us camping out on his parcel of land. He had set up a tent and we had a picnic with a view of the lake, sitting on foldable chairs outside the tent. My day was ending just perfectly.

I didn't realize it could get any more perfect till Dom pulled out a ring while we were tucked in our two person sleeping bag.

I think fear flashed in my eyes because Dom laughed nervously and allayed my fears, "It's not what you think. We have plenty more time before that. This is the birthday gift. It's a promise ring. Call me old fashioned but I wanted to give you one as a reminder of how much I love you and a promise of our future together"

He slipped it on the ruby finger of my right hand and it fit just fine. I looked at the slim silver band with minute diamond studs embedded all around it.

"I love it" I kissed him in appreciation.

"Scared the hell out of you earlier, didn't i?"

"Yes" I admitted bashfully.

"I'm going to give you one of those in the future but not just yet. You still have a lot to do like school and after, whatever next step in your career you need to take. We both need to accomplish certain goals before settling down" he explained, putting my mind at ease. He drew me closer and pressed his lips to mine before making my birthday night even more memorable.

I forgot the central rule of all love stories there is always the storm that will put our love to the test and in my case it was coming.

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

41.8K 1.6K 31
Mom and dad divorce before the baby is even born. Typical, right? So Elizabeth grows up never knowing her father, never knowing who he is, what he's...
348K 9.5K 49
"Sorry." She replies and I can tell she is not as sincere as the first time. "Again, Ms. Brown. I'm not sure you mean it." I order, tightening my gr...
10.9K 167 74
"You don't want me..." I breathed, selfishly leaning into his touch. But I quickly pull away. "I'm different and so not your type," I muttered, looki...
2.5M 93.1K 118
{18+ COMPLETED} THREE BOOKS IN ONE. "What are you doing?" I ask and he raises an eyebrow. "What do you think?" Brett retorts, grabbing hold of my wai...