My Husband, Whose Heart Belon...

By Mercy198

Christian Hendrix's story (straight out of Coffee And Papers) * * * His heart was broken by the rejection fro... More

Author's note.
1. I can blow a BUBBLEGUM.
2. CHOCOLATES are exquisite
3. CHIPS are crunchy
4. I so hate FUDGE.
5. Wouldn't it be nice to get a PANFORTE?
6. PEANUTS, just the thing I need.
7. The possible life of a MAIZE.
8. BUTTERED quite good.
9. CAKES! Can't believe this is happening.
10. MACARONS, a foreigner's desert.
11. COTTON CANDY, they call me crazy.
12. HOT-DOG. Who says two is equal to one.
13. PIE, a whole new difference?
14. FRENCH FRIES please
15. SCONE, for me!?
16. The PUDDING we know.
17. I say POTATOES, you say potaHtoes.
18. Someone make me a PASTA.
19. I need a mighty BURGER
20. FAIRYBREADS are definitely not fairies.
21. PEACH perfect
22. One hell of a COOKIE.
23. MARSHMELLOWS won't hurt, would it?
24. ICE-CREAM, cold and soft.
25. TEJUINO, my new best friend.
27. RICE KRISPIES for breakfast.
28. Red as a TOMATOE
29. One slice of that PIZZA, please.
30. PUMPKIN PIE.
31. CHAMPAGNE, perhaps a new beginning
32. When WHISKEY could solve nothing.
33: BONBONS.

26. Smooth with a SMOOTHIE

39.2K 2K 420
By Mercy198

Christian

Gently, I lay her down on her bed and let her head rest comfortably on the pillow then covered her properly with the duvet, making sure she was comfy and warm enough to sleep without worries. I should retire to my own room, right? But I couldn’t. I took my seat on a small space beside her and found myself staring at her face.

I recalled the kiss we earlier shared and it brought a certain different emotion. I couldn’t quite understand what it meant. Does it mean I’m simply past the stage of hating her or does it mean that I... I might have started developing romantic feelings towards her? I couldn’t tell.

Lightly, I stroked away a few strands of her hair that seemed to get on her face. She moved a bit but that was to get more comfortable in her position. It hadn’t taken long for Harieth to fall asleep while on our way home. A part of me was happy she did. After everything, she does need some rest.

“Why are you crying?”

“Because of you.”

“You’re very bad Christian. You... you always seem to find a way to hurt me but I... I can’t seem to hate you for it.”

A seldom sigh left my lips as I recalled the last conversation we had. Did I actually hurt her that much? I didn’t really believe I was doing that. Harieth had a thing for pointing out nothing in this world got to her. She was never bothered about what I say or do. Turns out, she actually does feel something.

“You should have said something at least.” I stated to her in a low voice as my aim wasn’t to wake her up.

No matter the manner what happened between us might point towards a change in our relationship, I can’t do much until I’m sure about what I feel, until I’m done and over with the past. Till then, wait a little bit Harieth... a little bit longer.

I leaned closer and placed a soft kiss on her forehead before eventually finding my way out of the room.

Harieth

I applied a light massage to my temples as if that would ease out the slight headache I had from the hangover. I don’t think I can remember when last I drank so much. Perhaps, I should have eased up a bit on the drinks.

A sigh escaped my lips in frustration as I can’t seem to recall how I got home. Last I remember is talking to Emerson, the rest is quite fuzzy. I truly hate this after effect I have. Perhaps, if I try hard enough, I might recall what actually happened.

“Harieth.”

Instantly, I looked up to meet Stella’s disapproving look. What now?

“I’ve been calling you for a minute now. Why are you so zoned out?”

“You were?” I questioned a bit rhetorically and she folded her arms across her chest and glared at me.
I looked away from her, not quite in the mood to act out our usual drama this morning.

“I guess the word sorry would suffice so... sorry.” I sort of apologised without looking up to her.

A momentary silence took over followed by a sigh on her part which told me she was loss for strength for our usual routine as I was which was great for once.

“Here.” She pointed to a file I hadn’t noticed was already on my desk.

“I need you to fax those documents, the information of where and to who is already written in there so take care of it now.” She emphasised on the last word and I had to daringly meet her eyes.

Without wasting any more time, she turned away and met up with another employee. I rolled my eyes away from her. One of these days, I’m going to show her the real me.

Christian

I threw my head back in frustration. I can’t seem to concentrate. No matter what I did, I just can’t seem to stop thinking about her.

Have I always felt like this about her? I sincerely don’t believe I’m actually that into her.

I shook my head a bit violently like that would help in the littlest bit but that didn’t do much. Her image was back on my mind.

“Don’t fight it Christian.”

I looked up and my eyes met hers. With both elbows on my desk and her face cupped in her palms, she leaned forward with a wide smile. I stared at her quite surprised.

How... how did Harieth get in here and I didn’t hear a thing?

“You can’t get rid of me so easily.” Instantly, I turn to the direction of the voice and there she stood by the window.

What?

“How... how did you...” My words trailed away as I returned my eyes to the spot I earlier saw her and she was gone.

“How did I what?” I looked the direction of the voice and saw her seated comfortably on the sofa. A wide smile drew out across her face as she winked at me.

A light furrow surfaced between my brows. What the hell is going on?

“You’re thinking about me.” I startled a bit as I realised she was just right beside me. She turned to me and our eyes met, the same charming smile played on her face. I stared, unable to look away.

I’m thinking about her?

Then, it dawned on me. She wasn’t really here. She never was.

Do I miss her that much?

A light chuckle left my lips as I looked down. I can’t believe I’m losing my mind and it’s over... Harieth.

Harieth

I looked both sides of the machine and wondered for a moment how this actually works. I’ve never done this before and I didn’t see a reason why I should’ve known how it works.

Perhaps, I should have let Stella know of that little fact but then again, I couldn’t stand the look she would throw at me once I tell her the truth. I’ll just have to figure things out on my own.

I bent over the machine once more and decided to read the writings on the buttons. With my fingers over it, I contemplated which to press.

“What are you doing?” I looked up and met Christian standing by the door of the small room I was in.

Mixed feeling swirled inside me. I haven’t seen him all day. The sight of him at the party was the last time I saw him.

“Working.” I gave a short and quick reply as I returned my eyes to the machine in front of me.

A strange and awkward silence hung in the atmosphere.

“I don’t think you know what you’re doing.”

“Well I do.” I retorted right away without meeting his eyes. I won’t lie. I’m not going to deny the fact that I’m a little irritated by his sudden appearance after everything and I was doing a bad job hiding it so I let out a loud breath and turned to him. I have to face him head on.

“Why are you here Christian? I thought you were avoiding me because apparently, I seemed to have developed a strange sort of illness that I have no idea what it is.” I let out at once and watched as the expression on his face went a little subtle.

He momentarily shifted his eyes away from me like someone who actually felt... guilty? Well, yes. He should. I have a splitting headache because of him.

I lowered my eyes as I brought my hand to gently rub my temple once I felt the headache coming on again. I have to be strong. He can’t ride on me just because I feel something for him so I looked up to him once more and our eyes met.

“Are you alright?” He asked with care laced in his words. I’m sure I interpreted that wrongly.

“I’m fine. I just have to do this.” I added as I picked up the documents and tried making use of the machine but I seemed stranded like earlier.

“Let me do it.” He offered as he drew closer and attempted taking the documents from me.

“No, you don’t have to do that. It’s my job so I’ll do it.” I argued stubbornly as I retracted the hand I held the papers away from me.

He stared at me and I tried my best to look anywhere else but into his eyes. In the end, I met them and ended up like a magnet drawn to its opposite pole. Then, I realised he was closer to me than earlier. His stare and his closeness set my heart racing.

Dear lord. I have to stay strong.

“How about we do it together?” he suddenly questioned. I raised both brows at him, not having understood what he said because my thoughts were all over the place.

“You operate and I direct. How about that?” He added with a warm and simple smile.

Smile?

Did he just... He purposely smiled at me?

My heart fluttered and my legs felt a little wobbly but I managed to stand strong.

“Uh... Okay.” I replied like someone who has been hypnotised.

“Good.” He added and took two steps away to give me some space. For that, I was a little grateful and at the same time, regretful.

Nevertheless, I found myself streaming along as he directed and I simply obeyed.

* * *

Smile.

He definitely smiled at me. I didn’t see that wrong, right?

“Harieth.” Stella’s voice interrupted my thoughts just as I was making my way back to my desk.

“Hurry up and get in here. We’re having a meeting.” She ordered from across the room where she stood beside the door, the entrance into the room where the whole team sometimes gathers and exchange ideas or talk about the next project the company hands to them.

Truthfully, I sometimes find it a little boring but other times, it’s fun watching them talk about things I’d never put into consideration.

“Fine. I’ll be there.” I yelled back to her before quickly picking up my pen and jotter then rushing off to the room.

Christian

I placed the cup and small polythene bag on her desk before stealing a glance at the room they were all held up in. A light smirk surfaced at the corner of my lips as I take one last look on the yellow sticky note I left on the cup.

Am I going too far?

I worried a bit but then again, I couldn’t stop the nagging feeling at the back of my mind. I couldn’t stop thinking of how pale she looked for a minute earlier. She seemed a little pissed at me so I don’t think she would take this from me if I handed them directly but I still want to ease her pain.

I just hope I’m not pushing too hard.

Harieth

As I set my jotter and pen on the desk, I noticed the cup and polythene bag that wasn’t there a while ago. A light furrow appeared between my brows as I picked up the cup then had one look around for any sign of someone or something strange going on.

I noticed a sticky note with writing on it so I read.

You shouldn’t take hangover lightly. Hopefully, a bit of caffeine and some drugs might ease up on the headache.

I looked up from the note, a bit puzzled by everything.

Hangover? Caffeine, drugs?

No one else knew about last night except Emerson and probably her husband, perhaps, Christian as well. There’s no denying that he had to be the one that left me on my bed. I mean, he is my husband, we live under the same roof and he did drive me to the party in the first place.

My eyes widened a bit.

Did he do this? Did he leave this here... for me?

I looked around for any sign of him but I found none. He has never done this before but he’s also the only reasonable person that could have left this here. I recalled our earlier spent time together. I was a little cold towards him but he didn’t seem to return the favour.

“Are you alright?”

Also, I recalled the manner in which he asked that one question. He definitely sounded like he cared. I stared down at the cup in my hands.

Does this mean... he actually cares?

A slow and yet steady wide smile drew across my face. I didn’t want to think any further. I was going to settle with that bit of realisation.

I brought the cup to my nose and inhaled the aroma of the drink. It still felt steaming hot. Definitely, it hasn’t been long since he left. I drew the cup closer to my lips and had a sip. It was the best I’d ever had. I giggled like a teenager, forgetting my immediate environment.

Truthfully, I couldn’t care. My husband was finally being a bit nice to me. My heart fluttered and I felt like my insides would burst with joy.
My phone rang and I picked it off my desk. On reading the name attached to the number, I picked it up.

“Hello.” I started as I held the phone close to my ear.

“We need to talk. Meet me at the coffee shop across the street.” He dictated before the call was cut. I was too happy to suddenly grow worried so I turned away and began making my way towards the place I was invited to.

I stepped into the small but warmly decorated coffee shop then stood for a moment as I scanned for any sign of the invitee. A simple smile lay on my face as I took notice of him then made my way to him.

“Hi dad.” I cheered as I gave him a warm hug before having my seat in front of him. I drank a sip from my coffee even though it’s starting to turn a bit warm. I didn’t care. I was going to cherish every sip from it.

“Harieth, we can’t stall any longer. The Hendrix’s will soon find out everything.” At that statement, I looked up to him and that’s when I realised he looked nothing like his usual self.

The tie he always wore neat and tidy was gone and the eye bags under his eyes said a lot about his state of rest. He looked leaner and... Everything about him seemed to have gone haywire.

“I need you to take care of things quickly.” He continued before glancing around like he was checking if anyone was watching.

“Dad.” I called in a rather low and pitiful voice. I had no idea things had escalated this badly for him. How could I have neglected him?

“Here.” He pushed a brown paper envelope towards me.

“I need you to get Christian’s signature on them.” I looked up to him away from the envelope.

“What?”

Early update!😁😁 I hope the chapter met certain expectations so hopefully next update will be up soon.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

416K 9.3K 41
1# inlove 3# fall 4# hotboys 21 year old Anastasia Eve Sanchez went out for a business of town, a little while after her boyfriend of 4 years had pro...
450K 10.4K 53
⚠️ Cringe Warning ⚠️ my story is literally a joke don't say i didn't warn you πŸ’€ . . . Victoria Kalie Maurice, despite having a terrible truth about...
220K 7.3K 30
I look at him weirdly and before I know it his lips are on mine and his hands are in my hair. God his lips are so soft. I forget about what was going...
7.1K 340 43
Book 1 of CATLIN & JACKSON SAGA Catelin Botha a simple [24 year old],girl from South-Africa who moved to America after her legal gaurdian died [her g...