Stuck in the moment

By starinthesummersky

Running away from her life Brielle runs right into Adam's. From the moment they meet it's as if they were mea... More

Stuck in the moment.
Chapter 2: Just my life.
Chapter 3: Cause you might have been wrong
Chapter 4: more like a nightmare
Chapter 5: Selena Taylor
Chapter 6: A boy
Chapter 8: Smile
Chapter 9: Change?
Chapter 10:Giving up.
Chapter 11: If happy ever after did exist.
Chapter 12:So in Love
Chapter 13: Take me Back.
Chapter 14: Falling.
To be continued or not?
Chapter 15: Feels like everything is dying at the pivot point of me...
Chapter 16: Color the dusk a deep navy blue..
What if...
Chapter 17: The last thing on your mind.

Chapter 7: Owatonna

382 16 3
By starinthesummersky

Chapter 7: Owatonna.                              

                 It had been almost a month since Adam had found me again when we finally got back to the sleepy little town of Owatonna. . I was sleepy, but still not sleeping, hungry but still not eating very much, and lonely but still not trusting anyone completely. Not even Adam. Anyway when we got to Adam’s house I didn’t even wait for him to show me around. I just collapsed on the couch, closed my eyes and pretended to fall asleep, although even though I really wanted to I was having trouble falling asleep. The next day I woke up early with a start, to no one’s surprise Adam was already up too. It had been almost a month since Adam had “found” me (I call almost hitting me but oh well) and I still had problems trusting him and/or anyone else.

                “Hey sleepy girl.” Adam smiled sweetly as I sat up “So today we’re going to go see my parents!”

                “Why we? I mean they’re your parents. So therefore they’re only interested in seeing you.” I yawned crankily.

                 “Nope… that’s not true… if you were anyone else that might be the case… but you’re Brielle, and Brielle is defiantly someone that not only are they interested in seeing but also they’d love to see.” Adam explained.

                “No. besides I look like a bum, and it’s because I am one,” I mumbled back grumpily.

                I still was uncomfortable talking to people although I was getting more used to Adam and his friends.

                “Just wear my hoodie. You’ll be fine.” Adam smiled reassuringly as he tossed me the hair bush Breanne had given to me to use.

                I bushed my soft light blonde hair that was now back to its original soft fluffy curliness. Then I slipped on Adam hoodie, and my own old shoes. Adam looked down at my feet and frowned.

                “You can not keep wearing those.” Adam told me sternly.

                “Yeah well I have no money to buy any new ones,” I snapped back as Adam opened his mouth to say something. “And no you can not buy me any. You can’t keep giving me things, buying me clothes and letting me stay with you. I’m a big girl I can take care of myself.”

                “Ok if you say so… but that doesn’t mean I’m ever gonna leave you alone,” Adam shot back in a seemingly playful tone but I knew that he was dead serious. “Now let’s go see my parents. They’ll be so happy to see us.”

                Adam lead the way happily out to his car and drove us to his parent’s house. I wanted to cry as I took in all the familiar sights that I had once taken in daily, but I held the tears inside of me for fear that once I started crying I wouldn’t be able to stop. Adam pulled into the driveway but insisted on taking the back entrance and led me around to the backyard.

                “Alright, you wait right here for just minute ok? I want them to be surprised and I wanna announce you. Kay?” Adam asked sweetly as we stood by his back door, the chilly and getting colder as the days went along fall breeze.

                I just nodded slowly as Adam flashed me a grin and ran excitedly into the house. I took a deep breath as I stood there listening trying to prepare myself to walk in there soon.

                “Hey Mom I’m back!” I could hear Adam gush excitedly from inside.

                “Adam! It’s so good to see you again,” Adam’s mom exclaimed in her sweet gently voice “So how has your tour been going so far?”

                “It’s umm… been….” Adam said before getting cut off.

                “Adam my son. Glad to have you back in Owatonna for a bit,” Adam’s dad said. “How’s tour going for ya?”

                Just hearing the familiar voices of Adam’s parents brought back so many memories, that it took my breath away. I leaned against the side house, as I took deep breaths, and tried to hold back the tears that threatened to give me away.

                “Yeah it’s going pretty good. But I have a surprise for you guys.” Adam blurted out quickly.

                “Well what is it?” Adam dad asked inquisitively.

                “Oh it’s not a what, but a who,” Adam grinned playfully with a hint of mischievousness in his voice.

                There was silence for a moment as I just waited there scarcely daring to breathe for fear that I would start crying if I did anything but concentrate on staying quiet.

                “So where is this person then? Are they here? Like at our house right now?” His mom questioned.

                “Oh sorry, yeah she is. I’ll go get her.” Adam apologized “Be right back.”

                I then heard his footstep echo across the wooden floor of the kitchen. I turned my attention to the big oak tree and started playing with my hair as the door swung open. Adam poked his head out, and then came out all the way. I tried not to look at him at all but out of the corner of my eye I could see him frown as he took in my blank expression.

                “You do know that your poker face ain’t foolin’ nobody. Don’t you?” Adam asked as he leaned lightly against the wall next to me.

                I just kept staring at the oak tree, not saying a word and not moving an inch.

                “You know that blank stare that you put on gives away a lot more to me than when you’re crying,” Adam explained softly as he stared ahead at the big oak tree with me. “I mean I know that when you’re like this you’re trying with everything you have to keep the tears back and to pretend like everything is ok even though you know deep down inside that your heart is shattered into a million pieces, and I don’t know what your trying to prove by not crying. Maybe it’s proving that your strong, your ok and you can take care of yourself, and I honestly don’t doubt that you can. I just think that you need a friend, just someone to talk to.”

                I bit my lip but yet still said nothing. Adam sighed.

                “Come on, let’s go inside. My parents are waiting for me to come back with you,” Adam grinned trying to break through my blank stare.

                Instead of smiling or saying anything though I just walked toward the kitchen doors, and waited. Adam went ahead of me and we both walked into the comfy cozy kitchen of a shy Minnesota boy’s parents. I stayed behind Adam and out of sight, scarcely breathing.

                “Here she is,” Adam said softly as he stepped lightly to the side reveling me.

                I just stared down at my feet silently feeling like I was 8 years old again, had run away from home for the first time, and was a complete stranger to Adam and his family. Just standing in that kitchen almost made me feel like everything bad that had happened to me was just a bad dream, but I knew better than to believe this for even more than a few seconds. For I couldn’t change how my life had gone and I couldn’t change the fact that I was some homeless street kid and had been for the past 7 years. I stood there listening to the soft tick of the clock, and Adam’s soft breathing behind me, just waiting for someone to say or do something.

                “Yep that’s really her. It’s Brielle.” Adam whispered answering the unanswered question.

                “Oh wow, I can’t believe it. How did you… when did you…?” Adam’s mom trailed off.

                “Tennessee, but that’s kinda a long story,” Adam responded softly.

                “Well, you might as well sit down and tell us now. We have time.” His dad explained from his spot at the kitchen table.

                “Oh yeah right,” Adam smiled softly as he led me to the table and pulled a chair out for me to sit on.

                “Thanks,” I mumbled as I sat down on the hard wooden chair.

                Adam just smiled his ever sweet and adorable smile.

                “Ok, good just let me get these cookies out of the oven.” Adam’s mom explained.

                Turns out she made us cookies and hot chocolate. I stared down at the bright wooden floor, ever as shy as I had always been and defiantly feeling like a little kid again as I took a sip of the hot chocolate that had been sat in front of me. The plate of sugar cookies were sat in the middle of the table. Adam grabbed one as his mom sat down and began telling the story of how he found me. When he finished I was still staring down into my cup of hot chocolate, my blonde hair falling in my face; I hadn’t even realized that Adam had finished the story until I felt everyone’s eyes on me. I glanced up at them. Adam smiled shyly and averted his eyes.

                “Why don’t you two stay here and have dinner here tonight, and then we could just talk.” Adam’s mom suggested.

                Adam nodded. “If that’s ok with Brielle of course.”

                “Why would it matter if it’s ok with me?” I demanded as I looked up frowning.

                No one had cared about what I though in a long time so for me this was a very odd question for me to be asked.

                “Because… your opinion matters.” Adam responded and then added “And because you matter.”

                I blushed and looked down kicking my feet.

                “Oh… umm… ok then its ok with me if we stay here for a while.” I mumbled still not looking up.

                Even though I didn’t take my eyes off my feet I could tell that Adam and his parents exchanged glances and some form of silent communication took place between them.

                “Hey Brielle? You wanna go outside?” Adam asked with a curious sense of childlike wonder in his voice.

                “Umm ok sure.” I managed to reply softly.

                Adam got up and held out his hand to me to help me up.

                I glanced up at him, but decided to ignore his outreached hand, pushed back the chair myself, and got up by myself. Adam half smiled and led the way outside. We sat down at the big oak tree that we had always sat at. A chilly autumn breeze blew, and a few strands of my hair flew freely in front of me.

                “So…” Adam trailed off as I looked curiously waiting for him to finish his thought.

                I waited but he still said nothing.

                “Yeah…?” I asked encouraging him to continue.

                “ So… umm how are you.. umm liking it.. all…” Adam stuttered nervously “I mean with the.. umm you know… and umm everything… umm yeah…”

                “Yeah, it’s umm as ok as it can be,” I answered hesitantly knowing that Adam was scared to ask me anything for the way I replied or furthermore my lack of reply.

                “Oh umm ok good…good.” Adam nodded as he ripped out handfuls of grass from the cold, harsh ground.

                It reminded me of the summer memories we had together. We’d sit in the same spot we were sitting right now by the big old oak tree, taking in the summer breeze, and just the whole summer atmosphere; the whole free feeling that came along with summer.

We had just been freed from school the day before; I was 13 he was 15. The summer breeze had been calling us all morning, inviting us to bask in the warmth of the sun, and take in this moment of sweetness for all it was worth. My hair was down and blowing around in the breeze. The leaves were so green, but the grass was even greener. We laid there in the soft lush grass of Adam’s backyard. The sky was so blue, and it was a clear blue; you know the kind that rarely gets seen, and looks to beautiful to be real. Plus the occasionally clouds in the sky were so white and fluffy it made the whole moment even more surreal. That moment there felt too surreal, that I hadn’t even been sure it had really happened. But the problem was I hadn’t cherished moments like those as much as I should have until they were gone. Anyway, as we laid there in the grass side by side Adam started ripping out handfuls of grass and throwing them on me. I rolled my head to the side and looked at him. He just continued to stare at the sky and throw handfuls of grass on me.

                “Adam what exactly are you doing?” I asked as I suppressed a giggle.

                Adam rolled his head to the side on the ground, looked me the eyes and smiled.

                “Nothing says summer like ripping out handfuls of grass and throwing them on the person next to you,” Adam grinned manically as he ripped out another handful of grass and threw it on me.

                “Ok that’s it.” I threatened jokingly as I ripped out a handful of grass myself and threw it on Adam.

                Adam laughed, and we continued on like that until we ended up chasing each other around the yard; Adam catching up with me quickly. Once he did he wrapped his arms around me and my pointless struggling knocked us both to the ground, landing there breathless, and giggling; Adam’s arms still around me. His mom came out to ask us if we wanted any cookie and tea, while we were still lying there together. We both blushed.

                “We’ll be in, in a minute,” Adam mumbled embarrassedly as his mom went back inside.

                As soon as she was gone we both burst out laughing a rolled around on the soft grass. Summer finally there. Now everything had changed and become so different.

                Now we sat there in awkward silence, at least a foot apart from each other the chilly autumn air making me sniffle. The sky has a sweet blueness to it, and the air was so crisp and clean. Adam was so grown up. In these couple weeks I had never really thought that this was the same boy who had been my best ever since I had moved to Owatonna; he was just older, more mature, and possibly more sweet then he had been if that was even possible. I shivered as the wind blew harder. Adam smiled.

                “To the tree house?!?” Adam grinned excitedly.

                I nodded. “Ok.”

                Adam grinned and ran to where the tree house was. I slowly got up, and couldn’t help smile at the childish excitement of 24 year old Adam. By time I got to the tree Adam was already there inspecting the old rope ladder that had over time fallen out of its hiding place.

                “I’m just gonna test this out a bit before we go up,” Adam explained as he tugged at the ladder.

                I waited as he step up on the first rung, and then the second and third. He climbed back down.

                “It seems pretty safe, so you wanna head up and I’ll be right behind you?” Adam asked as I nodded.

                I started up the ladder slowly Adam right behind me and all was going well until I made it to the last rung. Then as I put all my weight on the last rung it started snapping and gave out on me. I started tumbling backwards, I shut my eyes tightly prepared to feel the harsh sting of the ground. Instead I felt Adam’s arms wrap around me as we both feel to the ground, Adam cushioning my fall. The height of the fall knocked the wind out of me leaving me breathless for a minuet. I rolled over still in Adam’s arms trying to gain my breath back. I looked over at Adam, he was completely breathless too. In the silence all I could hear was my heart pounding in my chest, as I lay next to Adam, his arms around me. By the time I started gaining my breath back I was staring into Adam’s eyes noticing for the first time in forever the immense beauty in the those big brown eyes. When Adam gained his breath back he looked at me apologetically.

                “I am so sorry. I really didn’t think that was going to do that… and, and yeah I’m so sorry. You ok?” Adam apologized.

                I didn’t respond right away, but when I did I burst out laughing instead of saying anything and I didn’t even know why I was laughing so much. Adam shot me a confused look and then joined in on the laughing.

                “Hahaha so why exactly are we laughing?” Adam asked between laughing.

                “ because it’s funny.” I giggled even harder “and I’m not even sure why.”

                “haha umm ok then,” Adam laughed too running out of breath.

                When we finally stopped laughing we just looked at each other, me not even realizing that Adam’s arms were still around me.

                “ Haha oh wow, this is just like all those times when we were kids.” Adam smiled boldly.

                “Haha oh yeah…” I trailed off.

                We were silent again, as I started squirming finally noticing Adam’s arms around me. Adam took his arms off me got up and dusted the dirt from his pants and offered me his hand.

                “Let’s get in that tree house now,” Adam smiled sweetly.

                I hesitated, but then took his outreached hand as he pulled me up. Adam led the way up to the tree house and helped me to get up, into the dusty little tree house. Not much had changed since I had last seen this tree house; it was still small, and simple with its few little windows, blue shag rug, pillows on the floor to make it more comfortable, and all the things we had painted and carved on the walls.

                “Wow this place looks exactly like it did before.” I whispered as I looked around at everything.

                Adam slid down to the floor.

                “Yeah I haven’t been up here since…”  Adam trailed off as I shot him a confused glance.

                He stared down at his hands and started fiddling with his thumbs.

                “Well since… the day you left.” Adam mumbled quietly as I slid down beside him. “I guess I just got busy with my music and everything…”

                “Oh yeah you always were pretty good with the music thing” I responded pulling my knees to my chest and feeling the hard scratchy feeling of the wooden wall behind me.

                “Thanks,” Adam half smiled “but umm I’d be nowhere if it weren’t for God.”

                “oh mmhm…” I responded as Adam started to toss around a tennis ball.

                We sat there again in awkward silence, and I found myself extremely tired and wanting to go to sleep. I closed my eyes for a minute, and awoke when I heard someone calling mine and Adam’s names. When I opened my eyes I realized that I was leaning against Adam.  

                I jumped up “I.. umm… I.. sorry.” I murmured under my breath.

                “Come on let’s go get something to eat.” Adam smiled as we both climbed out of the tree house, and went into the comfy cozy kitchen that I had used to love so much.

                We ate dinner as Adam and his family talked about tour, how they were doing and just life in general. They tried to bring me into the conversation several times, but I made it very tough for I never stayed in the conversation very long and when I was a part of it I never had much to say. They eventually they gave up and just continued talking amongst themselves. Them pretty much avoided any conversation of me, for the way I was sitting right there. I nibbled at the roll on my plate feeling guilty for eating even that much.

                “Excuse me. I have to umm go to the bathroom.” I mumbled as I ran out of the kitchen.

                But instead of going into the bathroom, I ducked into another room, crawled out the window, and sat with my back against the house, knees pulled up to my chest, trying to keep all thoughts out of my head. This place was bringing back so many memories. Too many memories, all flooding into my mind at the same time in a never ending stream, making me feel like it would be better to be hit with a bus. I buried my face in my knees and tried as hard as I could only to focus on my breathing before a tear fell because I knew once one fell the tears would not stop raining down. I just needed to get out of here. I needed to get out of here before the pain settled on me again and reality crashed down harder this time. I sat there for a while my breathing hard and my heart thumping erratically. I knew that if I had wanted to leave I had better do it now. I got up, looked around and took off; not knowing if this was the right thing to do, but knowing that I had to do it. So I just started running, not knowing to where, just knowing that I needed to get out of here as soon as possible.  But as I continued running something felt familiar about the route I was taking. I still didn’t stop. That was until I came to a little house that made me stop dead in my tracks. All I could do was stare up at this not run down little down in horror and wonder. This was the house I had grown up in. I was troubled as the memory of the night I had come home from my first little vacation from the beach hit me.  I didn’t wanna take a step closer to this house but I didn’t wanna step away either as the memory replayed in my head. We had just arrived back at my house after the most amazing few days of my life, and Adam and his family were just dropping me back off at my house. Oh and did I mention that my parents were also away at the time? Anyway, when we arrived, Adam walked me to the door.

“Thank you so much, for that and for everything.” I smiled appreciatively as I stood at the door the warm summer breeze blowing my messed up hair around.

“Aww. No problem. That’s what friends are for,” Adam grinned adorably as he wrapped me tightly in a hug, as he had never done before.

He was warm, and I hugged back until he let go, we said our goodbyes and he then left. I was so happy at this time, especially considering that I had just had the best time ever. Little did I know what was waiting for me when I got inside the house. It was already 1:30 am and as I entered the hall I threw my bag down to the side, and went to check the answering machine.

                “Hey sweetheart just wanted to tell you that we’ll probably be home early Saturday. I can’t wait to see you. Hope you and Adam had fun at the beach Love ya Brielle.” My mom explained as my dad came on “Sorry we’re not there as much as we should be, but I’ll see you soon. Love you so very, very much my Bre- Bear. Bye,”

That message had been left Monday and today was Friday, so I would be seeing them tomorrow. I smiled as I grabbed a bag of Doritos, a chocolate bar, some hot tea, sat down on the couch and put a movie on. I was so contented and happy in this moment that I could still feel the warmth of Adam’s hug. I grabbed a blanket, pulled it around me, lay down and started falling asleep. I was mid dream when the phone rang waking me up. I slowly sat up and rubbed my eyes. The movie I had put on was still playing. I took a sip of my tea and reach groggily for the phone.

                “Hello. Who is it?” I yawned tiredly into the phone.

                “Hello is this Brielle?” A women’s voice asked from the other end.

                “Yes, but who are you?” I question again impatiently. 

                “I am Officer Cooper, of the Pennsylvania police. I have some news to tell you about your parents.” Officer Copper explained awaiting my reply.

At the mention of parents I perked up, blanket still around me, and took a sip of tea to try to wake my self up a little more before responding.

“What about my parents?” I finally responded trying to sound calm even though I was freaking out inside.

“Well I’m afraid we have some bad news. We would tell you in person but we thought you someone should tell you before you find out on your own.” Officer Copper told me as my heart skipped a beat. “Now listen sweetie no matter what you’re gonna be ok. So don’t do anything drastic.”

I nodded, “Ok,”

“Ok you’re parents are dead.” She said softly.

My heart dropped instantly. This had to be a dream. It had to. This couldn’t be happening to me.

“What?!?! No!! No way. This isn’t happening! There must be some mistake.” I barely squeaked as I choked back the tears.

“No there’s not mistake, Some one reported your parents missing Monday night, and we feared violence when we found blood in there hotel room. We searched for them for days before finding first your father’s bodies in a little stream in the woods, and a little while after we found your mothers deep in the woods. They were dead when we found them. Your mother had been stab a few times fatally, and your father shot and stab. Some one they were meeting with here helped us to identify them. I am so sorry.” Officer Copper explained to me in detail as I tried not to cry.

“Really? So that’s it? There gone now? Just like that?” I asked frantically as a few tears streamed down my face.

“Yep, I’m sorry to have to tell you like this,” Officer Copper whispered.

“It doesn’t matter it’s the same news either way.” I responded blankly trying to make it sound like I was ok.

“Yeah I guess your right, well I’m sorry this had to happen to you,” she apologized again “So do you have somebody you can stay with so you’re not alone.”  

I was silent as I though about this, then I nodded forgetting that I was on the phone.

“Yes,” I responded confidently.

“Ok well I’m gonna let you go then to do whatever you need to do. Sorry. Everything else will be arranged later. Bye,” Officer Copper finished.

“Bye,” I mumbled as I hung up.

The tears didn’t start right away. For a while I just sat there staring blankly at the tv screen not paying any attention to what was going on. I just sat there staring unaware of everything around me, even unphased with my own tiredness. I felt an unknown fear creep over me and eventually I wondered outside, barefoot hair all mess up, and blanket still around me. I wandered all the way to Adam’s house. I sat down at the foot of the oak tree exhausted, as the golden sun rose in the sky. I sat there for who knows how long, head against the rough bark of the oak tree, knees curled to my chest, just staring but I’m not sure at what; until Adam finally came out.

“Brielle, are you ok?” Adam questioned in concern as he kneeled down next to me in the soft green summer grass.

I looked up at Adam and the tears started raining down. Adam frowned worriedly sat down and pulled me into a hug.

“They’re gone, Adam they’re dead,” I sobbed hysterically into his soft blue t- shirt.

“Shh… who Brielle who’s dead?” Adam asked softly as he brushed some of my hair out of my face.

“My parents. They’re dead. They’re gone forever. I’m never gonna get to see them ever again.” I cried soaking Adam’s shirt.

“Brielle… I’m so sorr..” Adam said before I cut him off.

“Don’t say that everyone’s gonna say that but it doesn’t help,”  I snapped grouchily.

“Ok. I won’t.” Adam whispered as he hugged me tighter “I just won’t let you go. Will that help?”

“For now,” I sniffled as the tears continued to run down my face.

Adam smiled as he held me there, and we sat there in the silence, his arms never leaving me for the longest time.

Now standing here in front of this house I felt my heart drop again, the pain return  and that unknown fear creep up on me once again. I stood there until I couldn’t stand it and then I collapsed on the ground, the tears coming again and this time I couldn’t stop them. I was a mess. I cried until I noticed a shadow standing over me. I jumped and looked up. It was Adam. I tried to wipe the tears out of my eyes quickly.

“I’m so sorry… I just…” I tried to apologize before Adam interrupted.

                Adam bent down next to me.

                “No need to apologize Brielle. I understand,” Adam whispered solemnly as he sat down next to me on the browning grass.

                “you do…?”  I sniffled trying to stop the endlessly flow of tears.

                “Yes, I do and it’s ok. I can imagine how you feel. I know that your in pain, you don’t have to hide it. It’s ok to cry,” Adam whispered shyly.

                I nodded.

                “Ok,” I managed to squeak as I bowed my head.

'               We sat there in silence for awhile together, Adam never leaving my side.

                “So had anyone ever…?” I sniffled staring down at my feet.

                “No. No one ever moved in after well after you know…” Adam trailed off.

                “Oh ok.” I nodded.

                “You wanna go inside?” Adam asked hesitantly.

                “I don’t know. I don’t think I could handle it. I’d want to believe that when I walk in there they’ll be there to give me hug and tell me everything’s gonna be ok.” I sniffled as more tears streamed down my face. “But that’s never gonna happened again. I’m never even gonna get to hear their voices again. I feel so guilty because I didn’t even get to spend any more time with them because I went on that stupid vacation with you,”

                Adam was silent, as he bowed his head. I could tell I had made him feel bad.

                “I’m sorry I didn’t mean it like that it’s just… I wish I could’ve spent more time with them or maybe stop them from going on that stupid trip…” I mumbled as the tears pour down harder.

                “Brielle, listen to me. There’s nothing you could’ve done. You couldn’t have stopped them, and you couldn’t have possible known that was gonna happen. Don’t blame yourself.” Adam told me sternly.

                I cried harder.

                “You want a hug?” Adam asked shyly.

                I thought this over for a while and glanced up at him.

                “You’d give me one?” I whispered as I wiped a tear from my eye.

                “Of course,” Adam grinned sheepishly as he averted his eyes. “I’ve done it plenty of times before. Why not now?”

                “Then no,” I answered seriously.

                “Oh ok.” Adam’s face fell.

                “I need one.” I sniffled, as the cold wind stung my wet face.

                Adam smiled and wrapped me in a hug. I cried into him as the sun set, feeling the warmth of his arms around me. This was the first time I had been hugged and I mean actually hugged, a full, warm hug, in a long time. I had needed this. I felt the coldness creep in and the harshness sting of the chilly breeze worse as night fell but I didn’t care. Adam finally spoke up as I shivered.

                “So how you feeling? You wanna head back to my parents house, so they know your ok?” Adam asked sweetly, his arm still around me.

                I glanced up at him and nodded, “Ok,”

                Adam locked eyes with me, and held my gazed momentarily. He then wiped away a tear. I averted my eyes quickly and bowed my head. Adam removed his arm from me and stood up. Coldness crept over me as he did so and I shivered. Adam held his hand to me; I didn’t take it. Instead I tried to pull myself up and ended up falling back down. Adam didn’t laugh instead gave a sympathetic look and reached his hand out to me again.

                “Just take it. I won’t let you fall.” Adam mention softly.

                “Won’t Selena be mad when she finds out? “ I sniffled softly.

                “Naw, besides who cares if she does?” Adam whispered in reture.

                I took his hand and he pulled me up.

                “See, I’m not that bad to trust.” Adam grinned in the faint light of the stars. “Except with the whole tree house latter thing…”

                I didn’t say anything as I started walking back the way I had come, pony tail messed up, eyes red, and in general a complete mess. Adam followed. By time we got back to Adam’s parent’s house it was already about midnight. I was still sniffling and red eyed but I had got my emotions under control and had stopped the flow of tears. Adam walked in the back door and I slowly followed. Adam’s parents were both sitting at the kitchen table but someone else was in the other room, watching TV for you could hear the sound of it from the kitchen.

                “So is everything alright then?” Adam’s mom asked glancing back and forth between me and Adam.

                Adam half smiled, “Yeah everything’s fine now.”

                “Good,” Adam’s dad smiled “Oh and by the way Austin came over to see you,”

                And sure enough right on cue Austin came strolling into the kitchen.

                “Adam!!” Austin called excitedly. “Hey.”

                “Hey Austin,” Adam greeted back casually as Austin took notice of me.

                Austin’s eyes grew wide as he looked at me; silently pondering unasked questions to himself. That didn’t last long though for Austin quickly tired of it and decided on an answer.

                “Brielle!!!!!!!!!” Austin yelled excitedly as he ran towards me and wrapped me tightly in a hug.

                “ah Austin? I umm wouldn’t do that if I were you…” Adam trailed off hesitantly as I struggled to get out of Austin’s tight grip.

                “Aww… why?” Austin complained as he let go of me. “No wait I’ve got a better idea!”

                “Austin don’t even think about it!” Adam warned sternly.

                Austin grinned mischievously and I frowned in confusion as Austin pulled me and Adam both in for a group hug.

                “Ahh, the three amigos together again at last.” Austin sighed happily as I struggled pointlessly to get out of the hug.

                “Ok, let me go now Austin. Seriously!” I snapped grouchily.

                Austin let go immediately.

                “Ok, I umm.. I’m sorry…” Austin mumbled apologetically as I raced into the living room and sat down on the couch.

                I heard them talking for a while in the kitchen. I knew they must have been talking about me. I just focused on the pointless, unrealistic TV show that was playing on the screen. A few minuets later Adam came into the room with some hot chocolate, and a blanket and sat down next to me.

                “Hey, Austin’s sorry about that.” Adam said softly.

                “I’m the one doing everything wrong.” I mumbled incoherently.

                “What was that?” Adam questioned from his side of the couch.

                “Nothing, it’s fine ok?” I said louder with a hint of annoyance in my voice.

                “Umm ok.” Adam replied softly as he held a mug of hot chocolate out to me. “You want some hot chocolate?”

                “Fine,” I mumbled as I took it from him and took a sip.

                I drank my hot chocolate and even though I never took my eyes off the TV, I had no idea what was going on for I had been paying no attention to any of it. And as I sat there starting and paying no attention my eyelids had grown heavy and I hadn’t noticed the way that Adam also looked exhausted or the way that Adam had scooted closer to me. My eyelids just got so heavy and I got so tired that my eyes closed, and I fell one way; feeling something warm around me. I didn’t want to move. I was so comfortable that for the moment I forgot about everything; I was so tired that it felt so good to rest. I felt so peaceful that when I heard voice I was absolutely sure that I was dreaming.

                “Aww! Now that’s just too precious. So sweet.” Adam’s mom cooed over something in the distance.

                “Aww yeah, someone should get a picture of that. That’s too adorable to pass up,” Austin joined in loud and clear.

                “Shh… we wouldn’t want to wake them and besides I’m not so sure Brielle would feel the same way you two do” Adam’s dad explained in a hushed tone. “And Adam has a girlfriend,”

                “Aww yeah but it’s like there meant to be, you can so tell he loves her. Selena… is… well just plain awful,” Austin whispered dreamily “Don’t ever tell them I said any of this but they are so meant to be.”

                “Austin!” Adam’s mom exclaimed.

                “Well it’s true she is! She’s so pushy and mean and Brielle’s so sweet and well there opposites. “ Austin whispered

                With that I heard no more and fell into a deep sleep like I hadn’t in a long time. When I woke up it was already full daylight outside and I had only woken up because I was cold. I sat up and noticed that I was on a couch still fully clothed with a blanket half around me. I pulled on my ragged old shoes pulled out the pony tail in my hair and almost stood up before I noticed talking going on in the kitchen.

                “Look Adam, I just don’t think with you going back on tour soon that it’s a good idea to be bring her along,” Adam’s mom explained as an apparent argument was going on.

                “But Mom..” Adam whinned before getting cut off.

                “No buts about it Adam your mom’s right. Tour is not a good place for her, and besides she’d probably be better off just staying here with us.” Adam’s dad told him sternly.

                “Why because you think it’d be too hard for me to handle? You think that she creates problems?” Adam asked while trying to keep his voice calm.

                “No that’s not it at all it’s just that well…” Adam’s dad trailed off indecisively.

I wasn’t going to listen to anymore of this. I snuck to the door.

“Listen she…” Adam was explaining as I shut the door slowly.

It still creaked shut, and I was just praying that they didn’t notice me leave, but I was almost sure they had so instead of taking off running somewhere I run to the tree- house and climbed into it knowing that no one would find me here because they wouldn’t expect me to be right under their… their… their… eyes. No,  umm right they would expect me to be right under their noses. Once I was up there I sat there knees to my chest thinking about how stupid I was. I was school stupid because I had never went to school after the age of 14 for the whole running away thing, and I was common sense stupid because I never knew what to do. I never knew what was good for me; so instead to make up for that I just run, all the time. Not only that but also I wasn’t good at anything, but running away from my problems. I could barely even keep myself alive, most of the time I didn’t know why I even tried. If I had just tried a little less, or maybe if I just accidently fell of the roof of the tree house then maybe this would all be over. I mean and if all I did was cause trouble for everyone anyway what difference would it make? I heard my name being called out from below. I just stayed silent hoping they’d all just all go away. I mean I was better off alone anyway…or… or… dead. I gulped, as my stomach rumbled loudly but it was no big deal; for I was used to it by now. But then I again I seemed to be used to everything abnormal and bad for me and run away from what was good for me. I was the complete opposite of normal. I laid my head down on a pillow and just stared up at the ceiling thinking about my life, and the best way to make the pain finally end. I didn’t move from that spot all day until I heard a guitar being played from below. I slowly got up feeling dizzy as I did so and went to the window.  Adam was down below sitting with his back against a tree strumming on his guitar. I climbed out of the window and onto the roof of the tree house to better hear/see. I sat there on the rough wooden roof, as the sunset the breeze blew and Adam started singing a sad melody that accompanied the guitar part perfectly. I just sat silently watching him, until I sat up and started moving around way to much. That’s when I slipped.

                “Ahh!!!” I screamed as I slid down the roof unable to stop myself from falling.

I grabbed a branch of a tree to stop myself. Adam had heard my scream. He ran over by the tree house tree.

“Brielle?!? Are you ok? Don’t worry I’m coming up there!” Adam exclaimed loudly looking up at me.

“No don’t!” I yelled back down.

“Why not?” Adam asked worriedly and even though I couldn’t see his face I could tell that he was frowning.

I sighed.

“Because everyone’s better off with out me and you know it.” I gulped as the heard the branch start to crack.

It wasn’t a very sturdy branch to start with.

“No Brielle!!! That’s not true!!!” Adam yelled from below.

“How is it not?” I called back.

“Because.. umm… because… I need….” Adam trailed off nervously as the branch cracked and I started falling.

I didn’t scream, I just tried to prepare myself for the pain of when I hit the ground as the wind whipped past me. I also started to wonder why I was acting so psycho. Running away, hiding, and wanting to kill myself. Wow. I really did cause a lot of problems, but that could all be over for everyone, and the pain could all be over for me in just a few seconds. But then I felt what I had to know was coming. Adam’s arms around me as we both fell to the ground. This part in the story was always way to predictable. Of course he wasn’t gonna let me kill myself. Not here, not now, not ever.

“Brielle, what the heck we’re you thinking?” Adam scolded breathlessly like a concerned parent.

I shrugged and sniffled which was a sure sign that the crying would defiantly come next. Adam was pinned to the ground, with his arms around me who was laying on top of him. After he caught his breath he moved me to beside him but still didn’t take his arms off me or his eyes. I looked down.

“Bri, please don’t do this to me,” Adam whimpered with a hurt look in his eyes.

“D..D…o What?” I stammered uncomfortable not looking in his eyes.

“Don’t try to  kill yourself. You’re my best friend. I just found you and I don’t wanna lose you again, and this is really hard for me to say but I need you just as much as you need me, and… and… yeah.” Adam trailed off still looking hurt.

“No you don’t you have Selena now,” I whispered the tears raining down my face.

“Brielle, look at me. Just because I have Selena doesn’t mean I don’t need you.” Adam whispered “Listen to me I are important to me.”

“Ok,” I nodded.

                “Alright, and I’m sorry if I ever hurt you. I don’t mean to Brielle honestly. I just wanna help you,” Adam whispered softly, letting go of me as I made myself stop crying.

                “Its fine,” I answered unemotionally.

                “Oh ok. So you wanna go back to my house now and try to get some rest before starting tour back up again?” Adam asked hesitantly.

                “Ok.” I nodded as we both pick ourselves up off the ground.

 I swayed again as I got up feeling dizziness spread over me. Plus everything was sore, but tried to make it seem less worse than it was and hoped that Adam wouldn’t notice. Luckily this time he didn’t for he was already headed back towards the house to say bye to his parents. We then head back to his house, where he got cleaned up and then offered me to get a shower. For the past couple of weeks I had been wearing Adam’s shirts and Breanne’s shorts, and I hated having to borrow and depend on people so much. This so wasn’t like it. By the time I got out of the shower Adam’s friend Austin was in the living room. I frowned wondering why the heck he was standing there in the middle of the room.

“Hey, Brielle, Umm… Sorry about the hug thing earlier. If you don’t want hugged it won’t happen again.” Austin apologized briefly and sincerely.

“Umm ok,” I frowned in confusion still not knowing what he was doing here.

“Oh Austin wanted to know if maybe we wanted to eat pizza, watch movies, and play band hero tonight just like old times?” Adam responding answering mu unanswered question.

“Oh… umm... well…” I stammered softly staring at my feet.

“Come on Brielle. Pretty, pretty please!?!?” Austin begged as he got down on his knees and gave me the puppy dog pout. “It’ll be fun. Just like we used to do when we were little.”

I thought this over for a minuet then nodded.

“Ok fine…” I answered as Austin cut me off.

“Yay!!!” Austin cheered excitedly.

I glanced over at Adam, and I could tell he was very happy for he was grinning like a fool. There was pizza on the coffee table, and we all dug in as we started playing the game. As I remember all of these nights we always pulled an all nighter and had to drink tons of coffee. As I thought about it one memory in particular struck me.

Summer had just begun and me Austin and Adam had spent the whole day building a little hidden fort in Adam’s backyard. It took us literally two days to finish and it was hidden only by a few bushes and the fact that you couldn’t see it from the house. We were all extremely proud of our work. As proud as two 11 year olds and a 8 years old could’ve been. So we decided during one of our “secret” meetings that our fort was too good to go to waste, and that if we didn’t do something the Magarglins would attack and destroy the fort. So we decided to stay outside all night in the fort so that we could defend our fort, but we knew that Adam’s parents wouldn’t agree with this plan; so we kept it a secret. We had it all planed out; by midnight Adam’s parents would most likely be asleep, so it was then that we’d sneak out to the to defend the fort if the Magarglins hadn’t already gotten to it by that time. As we had planned out, it all went perfectly according to plan. Around midnight we snuck outside in our pj, with sleeping bags, pillows, and flashlights. It was a warm July night, and as we tiptoed outside I felt the freash warm air of summer, the cool night breeze, and the shimmering of fireflies all over the yard. It looked and felt magical; kinda like we were actually in a fairytale. We all tiptoed quietly into the darkness, to our shabbily made fort and set up camp. As it goes we decided we’d send Austin outside to be our guard while me and Adam came up with plans for when the Magarglins did attack. Our little fort had no roof so we lay on our stomachs, as the light of the stars and the moon shone down softly on us.

“Ok, so can’t be loud or use any lights for if you do they’ll know we’re here and then they’ll most defiantly attack us, and we’ll have no hope for we will no longer have the advantage of sneak attack,” Adam explained softly as he looked at me seriously. “And…”

“Hey guys… I think there’s something out here,” Austin whispered through the big holes in the fort.

Me and Adam rushed outside only to see a possum come wiggling out of the bushes.

“Hey guys it’s a sign.” Adam whispered.

“A sign of what?” Me and Austin both asked at the same time.

“ A sign that Drake Everflame be with us and if any Margarglin or dark lords try to take over this fort than they shall have to go through him and all of us.” Adam explained quietly.

“Oh,” We both whispered quietly in amazement.

                “Yes, now let’s all go back into the fort and make some more plans, before that find out that we’re here.” Adam explained as we all entered the fort again.

                The rest of the night we spent in the fort and by time the dawn hit, we were all having a hard time staying awake, so Adam snuck us out some coffee. To stay awake, and then snuck back inside and turned on the TV to make it seem like we had been inside all night. But the good thing is that we had save our fort from the Magarglins that we thought were real at the time and had our first camping outside all night experience. It had been magaical but I knew that tonight would be no exception to the pulling an all nighter experience with Adam and Austin.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 45.2K 52
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
Fake love By :)

Fanfiction

116K 2.7K 42
When your PR team tells you that we have to date a girl on the UCONN women basketball team and you can't say no to it... At first you don't think too...
344K 16.6K 77
Kang y/n was always been the black sheep of the family. Overshadow by her extremely talented, gorgeous sister Roseanne . Who has the world revolve a...
962K 36.5K 87
๐—Ÿ๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜„๐—ฎ๐˜€ ๐—น๐—ถ๐—ธ๐—ฒ ๐—ฝ๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜†๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐˜„๐—ถ๐˜๐—ต ๐—ณ๐—ถ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ, ๐—น๐˜‚๐—ฐ๐—ธ๐—ถ๐—น๐˜† ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฟ, ๐—”๐—ป๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐˜€ ๐—น๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ ๐—ฝ๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜†๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐˜„๐—ถ๐˜๐—ต ๏ฟฝ...