𝐎𝐍𝐋𝐘 𝐀𝐍𝐆𝐄𝐋 | billy h...

By okay-rae

𝙎𝙃𝙀'𝙎 𝘼𝙉 𝘼𝙉𝙂𝙀𝙇, 𝙈𝙔 𝙊𝙉𝙇𝙔 𝘼𝙉𝙂𝙀𝙇. Diana Blake was who everyone in Hawkins wanted to be or... More

ONLY ANGEL
PROLOGUE
ACT ONE
ONE
TWO
THREE
FOUR
FIVE
SIX
EIGHT
NINE
TEN
ELEVEN
TWELVE
THIRTEEN
FOURTEEN
FIFTEEN
SIXTEEN
SEVENTEEN
EIGHTEEN
INTERLUDE
ACT TWO
NINETEEN
TWENTY
TWENTY-ONE
TWENTY-TWO
TWENTY-THREE
TWENTY-FOUR
TWENTY-FIVE
TWENTY-SIX
TWENTY-SEVEN
TWENTY-EIGHT
TWENTY-NINE
THIRTY
THIRTY-ONE

SEVEN

38.5K 1.6K 1.7K
By okay-rae

CHAPTER SEVEN
BATHROOM ON THE LEFT OR RIGHT?

WHEN DIANA WAS TEN, she asked her mother why she drank so much. They were sitting on the couch in the living room. Allison was in the kitchen preparing lunch for the next day, James was out with his friends doing God know's what, and Marco was at his office working himself to the bone. It was late and the empty wine bottle on the coffee table only proved that.

Estella said nothing at first. She pondered the question, completely overlooking the fact that a ten year old should not be asking those types of questions. Then she let out a sigh, her eyes never leaving the television as she stroked her daughter's hair. The bruise on her cheek had healed, but there was a phantom shadow of it in the moonlight and Diana couldn't forget about her parents' fight days before and how she got it.

"It helps," her mother answered.

There was no explanation, no details to help her young mind comprehend the meaning, nothing.

Diana never questioned it again, and it wasn't until Halloween of 1984 that she began to understand. Alcohol helped her mother forget her troubles. It numbed her heart and settled her mind, silencing all the sadness that plagued her. And while Diana swore that she would never be like her mother, she couldn't resist the urge to drown her feelings in cheap liquor.

The party was in full swing. Diana was dancing in the living room with some girls on the cheerleading squad, bopping her head to the music as her drink spilled down her hand. Any thought of her boyfriend was long gone and the only thing she worried about was having fun.

"Hey, Blake!" A deep voice called. It got louder as it neared.

The crowd parted to reveal Tommy H. with Carol in tow. They wore their usual smirks of superiority and the air of condescension swarmed around her.

"Hey, guys!" Diana greeted cheerfully as she slung an arm around Carol's shoulder. "What's going on?"

Carol let out a laugh and wrapped her arm around Diana's waist. She shared an amused look with her boyfriend because the sight before them was certainly one to see. Diana Blake didn't get drunk. Sure, she had a drink or two in social settings but she never got drunk. And while Carol didn't care enough to ask why, she did ask, "How much have you had to drink?"

"Just one or two," Diana replied, leaning against the redhead as she guided them to the backyard. "Or five."

"Obviously not enough," Tommy chided, handing her a cigarette. He stole a drink out of some random person's hand and poured the liquid into Diana's cup. "Drink up, Princess, because it's time to crown a new Keg King!"

The people around them cheered and within a minute, she found herself standing between Vicki and Tina, cheering Billy on as he did a keg stand.

Forty-two seconds later, Billy was set on his feet with an obnoxious smirk and triumphant look in his eye. He spit beer into the air as Tommy and another boy patted him on the back then yelled into the night, "That's how you do it, Hawkins! That's how you do it!"

Diana waited as he worked his way towards her and when he stopped in front of her, nearly crashing into her from all the people congratulating him, she took the cigarette out of her mouth and presented it to him. "For you, Your Highness," she teased.

The smirk on his face started to look like a fond smile and he leaned down to take it from between her fingers. His lips brushed against them and his eyes never left hers. He looked like he was about to say something but Tommy came up behind him.

When the two boys disappeared into the house, Diana felt someone elbow her. Looking to her side, she saw Tina giving her a suggestive grin.

"He totally has the hots for you, Diana!"

"He does not," she denied. "We're friends... I think."

Tina rolled her eyes and nudged Vicki. "Vick, back me up here."

Vicki, who looked completely disinterested in the conversation, shrugged. "If she says they're just friends, then they're just friends. Besides, she has a boyfriend."

"Yeah, but Greg is so bleh compared to Billy! She can do better!" Tina argued. She turned to Diana and the drink in her cup sloshed over the rim, splashing her arm. "Diana, you should go so for it."

Vicki crossed her arms and shifted her weight from one leg to another. "Did you not hear what I said? She has a boyfriend!"

"I don't see him around! Do you?"

"Whatever," Vicki sneered. She rolled her eyes and turned to leave but before she did, she gave Diana a look of annoyance. "Don't let your boyfriend stop you from whoring around, I guess."

The good mood Diana had been in quickly dissipated at her friend's attitude and the corners of her lips turned downwards.

"Vicki!" Tina scolded, watching as she disappeared into the house. Turning to the angel, she reached out to rub her arm in comfort. "I'm sorry, Ana. That was mean of her."

Diana shook her head. "It's fine," she dismissed. A small smile replaced her frown and she looked down at her empty cup. "I'm going to get another drink, do you want one?"

Tina shook her head. "No, I'm good!"

Leaving her side, Diana entered the house and made a beeline for the kitchen. On her way, she spotted Tommy H. and Billy cornering Steve by the front door—no doubt bragging about the latter's new title.

Seeing Billy made Vicki's words echo in her mind. It was a plague to be so unsure of herself because all she could wonder was if everyone thought the same thing. Did people think there was more to her friendship with Billy than an academic partnership? Did people think she was cheating? Did they whisper whore under their breaths?

She knew how rumours evolved—having started some herself—and she feared that the truth would be twisted into something ugly. People liked drama, and what was better drama than a popular couple cheating on each other? Because Greg had cheating rumours following him as well, but the only difference was that she would be exiled with a scarlet letter and he would be seen as the victim.

Diana was so consumed by her thoughts that she didn't notice Nancy Wheeler walk up beside her.

"What's in this?" The Wheeler girl asked, pointing to the bowl of spiked punch.

Before Diana could answer, a kid to their left shouted, "Pure fuel!"

The two girls shared a look and Diana shrugged. "Pure fuel, apparently." She poured a cup for Nancy before pouring her own, adding more vodka to it from a bottle nearby.

"Thanks," Nancy muttered.

Diana eyed her as she chugged her drink. "Rough day?"

She nodded, punch dribbling down her chin. Her eyes darted over Diana's shoulder and landed on Steve who was now walking towards them. "Something like that."

"Hey, Diana," Steve greeted with a nod.

"The former King!" Diana exclaimed. A look of despair flashed over her features—one that had not gone unnoticed. Her hand rested on her hip as she gave him a look. "You know, I'm real impressed with you, Harrington."

"Oh, yeah? Why's that?"

Her smile faltered again, but she hid it with her cup as she took a large gulp. "You saw through the bullshit and left. All of this..." She gestured to the party around them. "...is just bullshit. You're not King Steve anymore, but I sure bet you're happier."

Of all the things Steve expected her to say, praising him for his fall from grace was not one of them. "Uh— yeah," he sputtered in confusion, "yeah, I am. Are you okay?"

A small voice whispered in the back of her mind: Nothing is wrong. Everything is perfect. Then she pushed her sadness away and nodded.

"I'm perfect," she replied. "Always."

Steve didn't believe her, but he didn't press the matter any further. He had a suspicion of how she felt, knowing the pressure of popularity all too well. If he could help her, he would, but leaving the social hierarchy of Hawkins High School was something she needed to do on her own. "Okay, well, if you need a ride home or anything let me know, I don't mind."

Diana smiled—a genuine smile—and raised her cup at him. Turning to Nancy, she said goodbye and left them with a, "See you two lovebirds around."

She made her way back into the living room taking frequent sips from her vodka drenched punch. She knew she should probably slow down on the drinking to avoid a massive hangover, but the more she drank, the less her heart hurt and the more she felt like dancing.

Across the room, Billy watched as she got on top of the coffee table with Heather Holloway. Her hips swayed back and forth to the sound of a Duran Duran song and she screamed the lyrics passionately. He had a gut feeling that the firecracker of a woman before him was someone Diana spent a long time trying to hide. Her walls of caution and submission were falling with every red solo cup. She was a fun drunk, he concluded.

The peak of Diana's good time came and went because moments later she lost her balance and had to readjust her footing, the colour draining from her face as she stepped down from the table. Billy immediately left his spot by the door and made his way over to check on her.

As Diana stood in the middle of the dance floor, she caught the stench of beer. She was never a fan of beer—she thought it tasted disgusting and smelt just as bad—and in her drunken state, the putrid odour was amplified. The smell was enough to make her gag. It also made her realize that she really, really needed to find the bathroom.

"Great," she muttered, rushing up the stairs in search of the bathroom.

Now Diana had been to Tina's house multiple times before, but she still couldn't tell the difference between Tina's bedroom and bathroom. Was it on the right or left?

She stumbled down the hall, pushing open the door she thought was the washroom, and walked in on a couple going at it in Tina's bed. "Oh, shit! I'm so—" she stopped when she noticed who the couple was. Nicole's red hair was a dead give away. "Greg?"

If she didn't want to vomit before, she certainly did now.

Diana spun around and shut the door. There was a sickening feeling that crept up from where her heart dropped and it wrapped around her windpipe until she couldn't breathe. She was such an idiot. Every single rumour was true. Every excuse was a lie. Every time he stood her up, he was probably with her. He made her look like the fool she was for believing him.

Tears blurred her vision as she thundered down the stairs, the air grew suffocating and she needed to leave. She almost tripped in the process, the alcohol and her emotions mixing to disrupt her coordination, but was steadied by Billy who headed up the stairs to check on her.

"Ana—"

She pushed past him and rushed through the living room towards the front door. The fun party atmosphere was left in ruins and everyone nearby turned their heads wondering why Diana Blake was crying. They got their answers soon enough.

"Diana, wait!" Greg said, running out of Tina's room. He was struggling to pull up his pants.

With one look at Greg and his sex hair, Billy was able to put two and two together. He clenched his fists and left his place on the stairs to find Diana before Greg did.

"Diana!" Greg's shouting caused the party to grow silent. Everyone waited to see what was about to unfold as he grabbed Diana's wrist. "Just let me explain!"

"Explain what?" she snapped, turning around to face him. She yanked her wrist out of his hold. Her initial sadness was replaced by a blinding rage. "What is there to explain?"

She didn't realize it, but Billy had pushed his way to the front of the crowd that was beginning to form.

"It's not what you think!" Greg defended. His voice went up an octave. "This–It's—It was an accident!"

"An accident?" Diana's face turned red. "Cheating isn't an accident. You don't just trip and fall into bed with someone."

Diana opened the door and stepped out into the front yard, walking away from him and the house. Greg followed her. He reached out to touch her, but she hit his hand away as she turned around to face him. "Diana, baby, I—"

"People warned me," Diana interrupted. "My brother told me I'd be better off without you, friends told me you were shitty. There were rumours—the truth staring me right in the face but I believed you." When she looked at him, all she saw was him and Nicole, all she felt was a betrayal she should have seen coming. "And for what? You couldn't give a shit about me."

Greg's eyes shot to the crowd of people that formed around them. They all wanted a front row seat to the drama that was happening on Tina's front lawn. "Look, can we just talk about this in private?" he asked, stepping closer to her. "Away from prying eyes?"

Diana stepped back. "There's nothing to talk about."

"Why not? Diana, just hear me out!"

"Why not?" she repeated with a scoff. "Because I'm dumping your ass. That's why."

There was a unanimous 'ooo' that fell from the lips of the crowd. Diana turned on her heel, but a hand grabbed her wrist and pulled her back.

"Are you sure that's a good decision?" Greg's voice was low. He didn't want anyone else to hear him but Diana. He was right in her ear, standing over her with a dark look in his eye.

"Let go of me," she demanded, trying to get out of his grasp.

He went to open his mouth to speak, but closed it when someone spoke up.

"Let go of her, Morison."

Scoffing, Greg turned around. "Stay out of it, Hargrove."

"Yeah?" Billy slowly stepped forward. He took the cigarette he was smoking out of his mouth and threw it at the ground. "Or what?"

Greg didn't say anything, but his grip on Diana tightened causing her to grimace.

Billy saw this and cocked an eyebrow. "What are you? Deaf?" He nodded at Diana's wrist. "I said let go of her."

"And I said stay the hell out of it, Hargrove," Greg snapped.

Billy took lazy steps forward and shoved Greg back with both of his hands, causing him let go of Diana's wrist. Every time Greg made an advance, he was pushed back. "What are you gonna do about it, huh?"

Diana's eyes darted between them. She didn't want Billy to get in a fight over her, but she wasn't going to step in.

Billy didn't back off, especially with the excitement radiating off of the crowd. "C'mon," he pressed, "pussy."

A hard look came over Greg's face before he swung at Billy. The former Californian easily dodged it and laughed in his face with a spark of danger in his eyes. Greg charged at him and the two boys landed on the ground. The crowd tightened the circle they formed and repeated shouted Fight! Fight! Fight! The uproar caused teenagers from the backyard to run to the front.

Punches were thrown and harsh words were exchanged. Billy was on top of Greg when Tommy H, Brad, and some of the other boys decided to put an end to the fight. Greg obviously lost and there was no sense in letting Billy beat him to death.

With Billy being held back, Greg stood up and let out a humourless laugh. He spit blood out of his mouth and faced Diana. "You," he said, pointing his finger in her face, "are nothing but a needy, ass-kissing, whore. No wonder your dad is never home, it's to stay away from you."

The crowd was silent as they tried to piece together what happened. They all knew the rumours surrounding the couple and a fair number of them expected their breakup to come eventually. They just didn't expect Greg to be so harsh.

Diana stared at him with betrayal written all over her face. She stormed over to him with her fist clenching and punched him right in the face. The crack that sounded through the air wasn't enough to satisfy her breaking heart, but it was enough to satisfy the crowd as they let out a chorus of 'ooo's.

"You bitch!" Greg shouted, holding his nose. He was doubled over in pain. "You broke my nose!"

Her hand started to burn, but she was too angry and hurt to care. "My brother was right," she said to him, her jaw clenching as she spoke, "I am better off without you."

Without another word, Diana pushed her way through the crowd. After grabbing a half full bottle of tequila from some random person's hand, she headed down the front lawn. The crowd dispersed in disappointment as the scene came to a close and the party resumed as if nothing happened.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

70 2 9
Summer is here in Hawkins! And that means a ton of romance, struggles with work, and the occasional murder from a monster from an alternate dimension...
53 1 21
Asteria Josie Denvers moved to California after the tragic incidents in Hawkins. She was definitely involved in the mess. Jonathan Byers, her best fr...
87.4K 2.3K 70
People use many words to describe Madison Byers: sarcastic, smart, stubborn, quiet, caring, but most of all protective. She has protected everyone in...
1.9M 46.2K 62
【 𝘀𝘁𝗲𝘃𝗲 𝗵𝗮𝗿𝗿𝗶𝗻𝗴𝘁𝗼𝗻 x 𝘧𝘦𝘮!𝘰𝘤 】 𝙄𝙉 𝙒𝙃𝙄𝘾𝙃, Aven Hargrove was only seen and known as his twin, until a heartbroken boy pulled...