The Emerald Thief - Merlin BB...

Od The3meraldQueen

[1/3] Edythe - BBC Merlin Series Edythe has run for her whole life, living in a constant loop of never belong... Více

Disclaimers
Playlist
Prologue
Chapter 1: Misfortune
Chapter 2: Company of Knights
Chapter 3: My Game
Chapter 4: You Can Run
Chapter 5: Condemned
Chapter 6: Cellmates
Chapter 8: To The Rescue
Chapter 9: The Hell Stone
Chapter 10: Making Changes
Chapter 11: Uncertainty
Chapter 12: Camelot
Chapter 13: Physician's Apprentice
Chapter 14: Order for One, please
Chapter 15: Percival's Birthday
Chapter 16: Bloodbound Secrets
Chapter 17: With Mindless Actions
Chapter 18: Friendly Encounters
Chapter 19: Watch Your Back
Chapter 20: Iseldir's Wisdom
Chapter 21: Forgive and Forget
Chapter 22: Lancelot
Chapter 23: Betrayal
Chapter 24: Magic and Destiny
Chapter 25: Second Chances
Chapter 26: Starlight Whispers
Chapter 27: Farewell, Princess
Chapter 28: Feast of Beltane
Chapter 29: Morgana Pendragon
Chapter 30: If Tomorrow Comes
Chapter 31: Despair No More
Chapter 32: This is My Home
Epilogue
Author's Note
The Red Knight

Chapter 7: Allies?

1.4K 48 6
Od The3meraldQueen

I drag my feet behind me as I trek behind the two determined Knights, their pace too fast for my liking. The terrain appears to be only getting worse as we venture to the west, where Arthur and the rest of his knights are bunking down. With the harsher terrain, that means Olaf's men won't be lurking in these parts. No man in their right mind would want to go through here! But one could argue we are being hunted and are not in our right minds.

We've come close to being spotted twice now. It doesn't give me much faith in Percival, who has taken control, not that Gwaine is complaining. We've been lucky, though, having caverns, boulders and valleys to hide in. I enjoy the silence, something that is rare for Gwaine. This journey gave me time to regain my emotional state and spirit.

The night approaches us, the forest becoming dark green in the sun's absence. The birds begin to nest down, letting out their last cries for the day. Orange, purple and pink flood the sky in waves, turning the forest into an eerie mass of tall silhouettes. With the darkness comes a freezing wind and a drop in temperature. The breeze bites at my exposed skin with my ripped shirt, causing an aggressive shiver to take over my limbs.

I curse as I trip over a root, stumbling a few steps. "Only a little further, I can feel it", Percival assures soon after I complain.

"That's what you said an hour ago", I grumble, rubbing my arms to try and create some warmth.

"Distance and time are measured in different lengths."

Just as tired and annoyed as me, Gwaine mumbles, "And that's what you said last time Edythe complained."

"You two act like children", Percival grunts back, climbing over a large log tilted on a hill.

"I appreciate that's how you still see me after all this time", Gwaine groans, only just managing to pull himself over the log.

I let out a defiant groan of annoyance as I reach the log, being half of its height. If I could, I'd choose to go around, but I know that means more walking than necessary. All I want right now is to lay down and have a good sleep.

I rest my right foot on one of the log's branches, heaving myself up. Gwaine leans over from the top, offering me his hand, which I took gratefully. Pushing off the branch and Gwaine pulling my arm, I'm hoisted up over the log and to the top of the hill.

Percival's figure has already disappeared further ahead, having not waited for the two of us. We both groan in unison as we hurry after the tall knight. The moon is now overhead, sending a dancing white light over the green plantation. The dense forest begins to clear, the moonlight becoming more intense as we reach a clearing. Percival stops to navigate for a moment, although he won't do much in the night.

"Are we lost, faithful leader?" Gwaine taunts in a mimicking tone.

"No", Percival objects. "It's this way", he adds, pointing into the forest, scurrying off into the woods again.

I begin to feel like a whining child as I reluctantly follow the Knight. Gwaine decides to stick with me, also over our adventure. "If we split up, I'm going with you", Gwaine counters, glaring at Percival's back.

I begin to regret choosing to stay with this party when I could have disappeared into the night a free woman. I judged that sticking with these guys was my best option for survival. I also feel I have to help them as they did save my life, which I am grateful for. I'm a firm believer in an eye for an eye.

Percival comes to an abrupt stop, throwing his hands up to signal us to stop. Alert, Gwaine jumps in front of me, as if I couldn't look after myself, in a defensive stance. I peek out from behind Gwaine, Percival hitting away what looks like a sword with the back of his hand. He grips onto its owner hidden behind a tree. Percival raises his fist, pausing mid decent to the man's face.

"Leon!" he cries, quickly putting his fist down and returning the figure to his feet.

"Easy big guy", Leon jokes, patting Percival on the shoulder.

Some bushes rustle behind us, Gwaine and I turning in defence. Elyan and Arthur emerge from the forest's clutches, advancing toward us. Merlin scurries along behind them. I let my tense muscles fall for a moment, now feeling the aggressive aching, I didn't realise was there. My body shivering from the cold is not helping.

"We feared you'd been caught", Arthur admits, he and Gwaine locking each other's forearm in greeting.

"We were", Gwaine answers, his voice tired. "If it weren't for Edythe, we still would be."

Arthur's gaze falls on me, surprise in his eye. I shift my weight from one leg to the other awkwardly, feeling the heat rush to my cheeks, thankful that it's too dark to see.

Arthur nods to me in gratitude. "I owe you thanks for assisting my men, Edythe. This will not be forgotten."

"My pleasure, Sire", I smirk as I use the official name. My smile quickly falls when my teeth begin to chatter together.

Arthur then notices my state, overseeing my ripped clothing and shivering limbs. "Come, we have a fire in a safe place", he assures, placing his arm lightly on my shoulders.

The Knights of Camelot lead the way into the forest. The night only seems to get darker. The trek doesn't last long, our destination only a short walk from the clearing we had found earlier. Elyan is the first to disappear from my sight, confusing me, then I see Leon descend into the ground. The dark makes it hard to see, but I notice a small sinkhole in the background as I approach.

Merlin climbs down into the hole, gesturing for me to follow. That's when I notice the faint light coming from further into the spot. Merlin's silhouette outstretches his hand to me. I take his hand and climb down into the hole, Merlin helping me down to the flat ground.

The sudden fire light blinds me, already feeling the heat radiating toward me. As my eyes adjust, I realise I'm now in a large cavern or sinkhole. Dirt is held above by solid tree roots and boulders acting as a low roof. Some leather satchels and swords lay against the back wall, some blankets laid on the ground as beds. Leon gestures for me to come further into the cavern as Percival enters the hole.

I shuffle over to the fire, feeling the warmth dance across my skin, relaxing my sore muscles. Feeling awkward and out of place amongst these men, I sink to my knees next to the fire. I hold my hands to the flame, letting my numb fingers move again. I hear the men in discussion, but I can't find the will to listen as I enjoy the freedom and moment of peace.

I can feel all eyes on me, suggesting I'm currently the main spark of conversation. I try to keep myself composed as well as I can, choosing to ignore the men and focus on my wellbeing.

A cool hand brushes against my shoulder, causing me to flinch in fright. "Sorry!" Merlin apologises, finishing wrapping his jacket around me. "I just thought you needed to warm up."

"Won't you be cold?" I protest.

"Me? No," Merlin smirks. "I'm tough as stone", he adds, pulling at his baggy clothes, which hang from his slim frame.

This brings a genuine laugh from me, which doesn't happen often. It feels good to laugh after the chaos over the past...week! I hadn't even noticed the time that had passed. So, laughing is good. It reminds me that I'm alive.

Merlin lets out a chuckle with me before hurrying over to the fire, which has a pot hung above its coals. Merlin fills up a large bowl of the contents inside the pot, bringing it over to me whilst he also scavenges through a bag for a spoon. I let out another giggle as he finds one and hands it to me with the bowl. I thank him, taking it gratefully with my stomach feeling empty once again.

"So, how has he got control over Olaf?" Leon's voice asks, catching my attention.

"His name is Ivo from what I heard", Gwaine answers, pulling his boots from his feet while he relaxes against the wall. "I also noticed a large green stone on a rope around the King's neck. Does that mean anything?"

"That could answer how Olaf has been controlled", Arthur states in thought. "Merlin? Has Gaius ever mentioned stones that could control minds?"

"Once or twice", Merlin answers, his voice low on the subject matter. "Stones like that are very powerful. This Ivo would have to be a very powerful sorcerer. And to keep the stone dormant from influencing others around it would take great concentration."

Elyan's eyes light up. "Would that mean Ivo is weaker than usual?"

"Possibly", Merlin beams ", although I'm not sure how one would destroy or depower such a stone."

"It's simple, really", I interrupted, unable to conceal the knowledge that I have. "Yes, a stone-like that takes a lot of power, but otherwise, it's just a stone containing magical properties. All it would take is a little pressure and-"

"-It'd disintegrate from lack of space to expand its power", Merlin finishes for me ", thus being-"

"-destroyed by its power source" I smile, liking that Merlin has some knowledge in the ways of magic. I can tell Merlin shares the same thought as wide grin beams back at me.

"Was it just me, or did we just witness someone who speaks Merlin?" Gwaine questions, eyes wide in shock at our communication.

"However, the magic contained must be extremely powerful", I continue. I ignore the stare's and Gwaine's comment, Merlin and I's brain's working together. "Which means if someone were to take it-"

"-They'd be consumed by the magic and do as Ivo says just like Olaf."

"Exactly."

"So, how do we get the stone off Olaf then?" Arthur asks, seemingly the only person following along.

"Well...someone with another magic stone could repel it", I answer. I try to rack through my brain's to everything I ever learnt from the druid elders. "Or...."

"Or?"

"...someone with magic wouldn't be affected...." I whisper.

"So, a druid?" Percival questions. I frown my eyes together at the randomness of his question, a druid having not been mentioned at any point.

"I don't follow."

Arthur nods his head toward me. "He's referring to the mark."

I don't need anything else to be said; the realisation hits me. Like I've been struck by a blade, I reach for my shoulder as if that'd conceal what the Knights had already seen. I forgot the druid mark on my left shoulder. I was so caught up in escaping that I didn't even register that the tear in my shirt exposed my shoulder.

My face turns pale in a matter of seconds, and I know in my heart that my freedom has been short-lived. For sure, I'll be hung for the magic mark that I bear from my past. I dig my nails into my shoulder, wishing to rip it from my flesh. My history will always come back to haunt me, no matter how far I run from it.

"Don't worry", Arthur reassures. "We have no quarrel with the druids."

"But...druids are peaceful people", Leon observes, confusion burned into his expression. "You've stolen and sold magical items. That's not part of the druid way."

"I am aware, thank you, Leon", I answer sarcastically, my voice small in the quiet cavern. Leon lowers his head, a little ashamed that he spoke. I know he is only trying to understand, and I can't help that this is sensitive.

"What happened?" Arthur asks, his voice oddly calm and understanding. I don't let my gaze from the ground, unable to find the strength to fight anymore, all my darkness coming out for all to see. "How did you end up here, like this?"

"I simply didn't belong there", I answer, playing with the sleeve of Merlin's brown jacket. "Remember when I said my family abandoned me as a baby?" a few of the men nod "well...they left me with the druids because of my 'dangerous' gift, as they called it-"

"-Magic", Arthur finishes for me. A knowing glint flashes behind his eye.

"I don't use it anymore", I assure, knowing it may not help me either way. "I'm not even sure I have it anymore...not that I want it. As I said, I didn't belong there. I never felt like I was part of anything. The only thing tethering me to stay was my best friend, Jackson."

The men all listen intently, my story captivating them. "Then he turned against everything we were taught. Used his magic for bad. So, I gave it up, preferring to be normal and not powerful, knowing I could lose myself as he had... Jackson had been led down the wrong path. So, I left."

"Yet you fell a hole of crime instead?" Elyan questions.

"Ironic, isn't it? Yeah, I don't know exactly when that happened. It just did. And it felt good to be in control, choose my path, free not to follow the rules. Childish when I think about it. But I was good at my job. Was, being the keyword."

"If you were given a chance...." Merlin starts, choosing his words carefully. "The chance to make something better of yourself. Would you?"

"Well...I think so. I mean, if I've learned anything from this. It'd be to let myself try and achieve something less stupid," I answer, that good aura of Merlin's making me truthful once again. "If I were to try and get in the good graces of others, I suppose the druid elders would be a good start."

"So, if it were asked of you. You'd be willing to use those powers you've discarded to save King Olaf?" Arthur asks, "in the hope for a better future? Freedom?"

"Anything is better than the direction I've been headed lately."

My own words paint the reality that I need to make things change for myself. Or else I'll end up in a continuous loop until I'm eventually dead. If I've learnt anything from my sentence, I need to change my health and others. After all, it was me who got these noblemen in this situation. It'd be wrong of me to leave them in it after all they've done for me.

"Hold on, did everyone miss the part where Edythe said she may not have the magic anymore?" Gwaine asks, reminding me that he is still here after seemingly disappearing for a minute. "Doesn't that mean the stone'd possibly overpower her?"

I raise an eyebrow, taking Gwaine's words in mind as he makes a valid point. I nod at his words. The knight proves to be brighter than the others give him credit for. "Yes, but wouldn't you rather play fate with a person who has a 50/50 chance of not being influenced by the sorcerer?"

"Good point."

"And if you are influenced?" Leon asks, a minor concern in his voice.

"At least you only have to fight little old me and not a skilled Knight of Camelot."

"Another good point", Gwaine comments as a voice in the background.

"If we get you in. You can do it?" Arthur asks, regaining control of the conversation.

"Yes."

"And if everything goes wrong?" Merlin asks, concerned.

"I have an old injury in my left thigh", I answer, "that'll drop me."

"Would have been useful to know that earlier", Gwaine grumbles, pointing to the bruise that now has yellow tinges to the outer edges.

"No kidding", Percival also comments, rubbing his shoulder, causing abrupt laughter from the men in the cavern.

"I'm glad you've decided to join us", Arthur comments, giving me a genuine smile.

"Who said I was joining you?" I tease, a slight smirk on my face. "For all you know, I could take the magic objects and run."

"Somehow, I think you're done with those magical objects. I know I would have after all the trouble they've caused you."

"Valid point."

***

I was more tired than I had initially anticipated. Stress and physical strain had worn me down to my very last string of consciousness. I fell into a slumber in the deepest part of my mind. Merlin had to force me to wake, a little concerned as I didn't wake when morning came or even when midday approached. All the men, Arthur included, had been scouting all day, assessing the surroundings. They also discussed a strategy for breaking into a now highly secure castle. When they had returned, I was still in a peaceful state, thus Merlin's worry.

He didn't hear the end of my ranting after he scared the living daylights out of me. My sudden awakening nearly caused me to secure Merlin in a deadly headlock, much to his fright and my guilt. No injury was acquired.

Days are beginning to blend as I lose track of time after being thrown out of my daily routines. I don't plan on getting back into those habits anytime soon, deciding that I need a holiday. A very long holiday to recover after the life-changing events over the last week.

Night soon approaches, only adding to my loss of time, the forest became dark once more. Dinner is quick, no time to savour any flavour as the men wish to get moving as soon as possible. We need the night as cover to execute their plan.

I'm not surprised they have chosen not to tell me much of anything. My character is still not trustworthy, which I understand. A person does not simply change overnight, and I am aware that I may not be as reliable as I would like myself to be. Hopefully, by helping Arthur, I will have set myself up for a better path.

I'm now dressed in a new off-white shirt, thankfully after Gwaine had 'borrowed' it from a nearby hut. He insisted it wasn't stealing as I needed it more than the farmer appeared to. After a disapproving glare from Arthur, he added that we would return it once I found better clothing.

Merlin insisted I kept his brown jacket despite having a new shirt, much to my dismay. I don't like having so much help in place of never being given anything. It doesn't feel right, but with that damn aura of Merlin's, I can't bring myself to run in the other direction screaming.

The group leaves the cavern in a perfect formation despite the relaxed state they all look. Merlin and I follow behind like the ordinary folk we are.

I enjoy Arthur's navigational skills much more than that of Percival's. However, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt in the circumstance. Unlike the usual group of Knights I've seen many times before, this one is replaced with serious, task-driven men. Each knight, Merlin included, has taken their turn in trying to convince their king of returning to Camelot or at least waiting in the cavern. All have been to no success as Arthur has made it beyond clear he is to come.

Somehow, even after the last couple of days, Arthur still amazes me with his diversity compared to other kings. I'm beginning to see why these men are so devoted to loyalty and nobility. Aside from their reason, they are forced to by the image their King sets and what they must represent. It's poetic in a way, having such a group of men bound by something most could never come to comprehend. I strangely respect that, having had no appreciation for something like that myself.

I'm alive more than ever with my deep sleep and aspiration to change my ways. Even when the distant flicker of lit torches and the candlelit castle rooms come into view, I feel strangely excited. Of course, this is because I almost died, and I may still yet if my magic has ceased. But somewhere in my gut, something has changed. I don't know what, but it's a better feeling than I've ever experienced before.

Arthur crouches down, the men mimicking his movements as we come to the clearing of the forest's edge and Castle's front gates. "This is where we split up", Arthur instructs. The men all nod. I listen, having nothing to go on when it comes to the plan.

"Percival, Elyan. You create the distraction we discussed in the east," Arthur orders pointing to the east of the forest. "The rest of us will sneak in through the storerooms under the castle."

No more words are said, Percival and Elyan disappearing into the forest before I understand what Arthur is instructing. With one flick of Arthur's hand, the smaller group ventures forward. Leon and Gwaine are on either of my sides in caution in case I try anything. Let's be honest; all I can do is run at this point.

We advance down a steep hill, sliding along the stone wall of the castle toward the bridge. With the bridge overhead, and the sound of patrolling men, Arthur leads the way through a secret little door. It's surprisingly left unguarded. A horrid smell fills my nose as Leon nudges me through the door frame, the floor damp and the distant sound of dripping water echoing off the walls.

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

1.7K 80 24
"It can't be him! It can't be Ethan!" Follow Merlin as he goes through the troubles of being a prince in hiding. What happens when a letter arrives i...
40.6K 1.3K 17
Merlin is the prince of Crusia. Until his uncle attacked on night of him being crowned prince. He was taken from the battlefield and taken to Ealdor...
20.3K 506 15
The mythical city of Camelot, in a time before history began. A fantastical realm of legendary beasts and mysterious peoples. A dangerous worlds in w...
131K 4.6K 21
Merlin and Gwaine decide to pull a prank on Arthur, which turns out bad for Merlin. Arthur decides to punish Merlin by going on a hunting trip. What...