Engineered Empress - The sto...

By Dinasdaisy

In an asteroid field in a faraway part of the Orion arm, is a small mining station called Hunters Back. My na... More

Engineered Empress - Prologue
Engineered Empress Part 1
Engineered Empress Part 2
Engineered Empress Part 3
Engineered Empress Part 4
Engineered Empress Part 5
Engineered Empress Part 6
Engineered Empress Part 7
Engineered Empress Part 8
Engineered Empress Part 9
Engineered Empress Part 10
Engineered Empress Part 11
Engineered Empress Part 12
Engineered Empress Part 13
Engineered Empress Part 14
Engineered Empress Part 15
Engineered Empress Part 16
Engineered Empress Part 17
Engineered Empress Part 18
Engineered Empress Part 19
Engineered Empress Part 20
Engineered Empress Part 21
Engineered Empress Part 22
Engineered Empress Part 23
Engineered Empress Part 24
Engineered Empress Part 25
Engineered Empress Part 26
Engineered Empress Part 27
Engineered Empress Part 28
Engineered Empress Epilogue

Engineered Empress Part 29

21 0 0
By Dinasdaisy

Chapter 29

"Glith is the Anri'Te name for the the heavy metal molecule your mother overdosed while being pregnant with you. Under human standards it is completely inert and has no use. The Anri'Te were able to interchange the individual atoms of this four-atom molecule. Because each atom in one molecule has the same resonanz due to quantum entanglement, they were, after exchanging atoms of different molecules, able to communicate and send energy from one molecule to another." Bia was surprised and asked.

"But wouldn't they need a huge amount of energy to mix those molecules with each other? What did they do? Dropped a thermal nuclear bomb?"

"Yes, something like that. The first production was an accidental one. In what you call a particle accelerator there where a contamination with Glith. The results were weird. Instead of splitting the molecules apart they near instantly regrouped just with other atoms. It was unlike any chain reaction they ever saw. This was the beginning into studying one of the main building blocks of the planet." Ceri paused for Bia to digest this info.

"After carefully studying the new Glith molecules they found that they had, due to the entanglement of the original four atoms, new properties. Shortly the production of these new connected Glith molecules began. History showed the Anri'Te were also people who destroyed their own civilization with war. During the last upheaval a scientist that usually worked with nanites came up with a new weapon, that would destroy the targeted area and return it to rubble. Certain to obtain victory he set of a nanite bomb in the enemy state. This bomb ate through all Glith molecules and rearranged them by a hundredfold. The subsequent result wasn't only the capital lay in rubble.

No, it had a chain reaction and the whole planet went through a six-day upheaval. 85% of the population died in those six days. All structures where destroyed and the society had to be restarted from there. Thanks to a seed depot at one of the poles the Anri'Te did not die out. The next society they build was more careful to live with nature and not to destroy it again. I don't know why their planet was destroyed in the end, but it wasn't their own doing." Bia remembered the horror stories what humans did throughout history to each other. Although it was morally much more horrid even humanity never was reduced by that high a margin.

"But, Ceri. Hunters Back was built because they found this element you called Glith. But the scientist never found out its properties. How come they weren't successful?"

"As far as I understand the notes, I dug up from the research station, they did not use a big enough control group. To not get contaminations they used probes from all over the place. The chances of finding corresponding molecules this way was highly unlikely. Had they just taken apart one rock and tested it they could have discovered its properties. Well, maybe... if they isolated the right molecules. If they test a small lump all would have reacted the same way. I think the Anri'Te only discovered its properties because they had an extreme small control group in the particle accelerator."

"But how did it come you started in me and are able to communicate not only with me but the guys and the Core." Asked Bia trying to comprehend the magnitude of coincidences for that.

"Bia, while your mother was pregnant, she was contaminated by a few milligrams of Glith that had its origin in one of the nodes. In this tiny particle was one cell that made up the floor of the node. The fluctuation of Peryglid started the reproduction of the cell inside you and thanks to the Glith contamination I was able to connect to the core."

"Okay, but doesn't this give you an extremely narrow bandwidth to communicate?" Asked Bia incredulously and Ceri replied.

"Not at all. Your mum ingested just a few milligrams but that gives me still about 1018 connections of which about half are to the core. Over time I stored every Glith molecule that corresponded to the original inside your bones to be used at a later point. I use only about 10 for each communication node I built except for the node on Wandu. That one uses only 8 molecules and I already transferred new ones to Zar while you touched. I would prefer more on Wandu but that is what I am working with now. At this time, I could inoculate 869people with ten molecules of Glith each and have still enough stored in your bones to recreate the existing communication node three times over. So, don't worry I won't ever lose connection to you again." Bia sighed at that.

"Wow. I had no idea. I just know that what you call Glith is a rare and on a molecular level inert molecule. Experiments failed to produce it artificially and it is so rare that its existence had only been discovered here in Hunters Back and subsequently on a handful planets beside this area. But in those other places its occurrence is so minimal that they only found it as micro elements." Ceri interrupted Bia there.

"I found it fascinating that it was to 10 percent one of the main building blocks of this planet."

"Yeah and now it is the garbage nobody wants. Do you have an idea how we can collect corresponding molecules?" Ceri chuckled at that.

"Yes. You just need to put the rocks of Glith you mine the ore out of together and pulverize them and send them through an Anri'Te sifter. I can show you the blueprints. It would even be possible with your mechanical nanites to restructure Glith molecules that were unaltered but for that you need a big enough deposit." Bia shook her head, took a sip of her now cold tea and asked.

"That sounds complicated. How did the Anri'Te ever built a spaceship for colonization?" Ceri laughed at that.

"You won't believe it if I tell you."

"What? Why not?" Now Bia really wanted to know.

"Well they grew it. They used nanites to harvest, sort and remodel the molecules. Together with metals and silicates they used a process like your 3D printing just with nanites. In a way they transported all raw materials to a usable Glith deposit and grew it there. Well they did so for all of their spaceships even though there were only twenty-two altogether." Bia marveled as she tried to picture that.

"How much time took it to build a ship? Didn't that take forever?"

"It was a lengthy process because they used organic nanites, yours would be able to do it in half the time. But it did take about 13 of your months." That stunned the girl for a few minutes, then a glint in her eyes betrayed her interest as she asked.

"Ceri, could we still reproduce that process or did the knowledge die out with the Anri'Te?" carefully Ceri inquired.

"What exactly are you planning?" Bia waved her away and asked again.

"Ceri I need to know if the knowledge how to grow a ship is still available to you?"

"Yes, Bia. I have all the technical knowledge to grow an Anri'Te spaceship, including its engine and all necessary systems." Bia did not notice she held her breath until Ceri answered. Expelling all the air she continued.

"I know how we get the node out of the Richter claim." Now it was Ceri's turn to asked full of surprise.

"How? What has the one to do with the other?" Bia calmed herself down and explained her idea to Ceri.

"If we can isolate the right rock in the Richter claim, we only need to set down all the materials we need and the nanites and build a chamber around the nodes. With the same technique they used to build ships we isolate it from the rock and propel it into space. The rest is only timing on our side to catch it. There are always fluctuations in the asteroid fields, and some minor ones fly of into space. That is one of the reasons the skids must have shields. Anyway, if we design it like a life pod, we can space the whole node. Do you think that we can do it? And what do we need and how long will it take for it all to take place?"

"Bia, you are exceptionally good at applying nonlogical resolutions to problems. First of all, we can begin in a few hours. Thanks to the cells in the floor and the old fungi the node has all the materials to at least isolate two different mature fungi and build life systems around them including a barrier to isolate them against vacuum and the cold of space. That process can be finished in a few days. The next stage would be to group the useful Glith molecules together in a way, that we don't need to identify them later on. I can redirect their growth make sensors, that detect which elements are there and how they are placed in the asteroid. If necessary, we can station corresponding nanites on the outer shell. In the worst case you get two life pods with fungi, but in the best case we could build parts of a ship in there. If you are interested in building one." Bia thought about that for a long minute.

"Yes, a bigger ship would be great, but it has to have enough in common not to stand out as alien technology. At least in the beginning. I don't want the military or government on our tails. Is that possible, to camouflage it like a bigger merchant vessel? I would love to have a bigger lab and green house on board." Bia sighed.

"Well, I currently began to build the life pods and in the next month I should be able to tell you exactly which asteroid it is, and what I can build out of it. The other two locations will undergo a similar transformation. It would be good to know what you would like as a ship. I can download all the existing ship types in the data bases for you." Bia laughed oud loud and clapped her hands in delight.

"Oh goody. That would be like shopping for Marr's birthday. Yes, please download the schematics. I will get together with Damon and Zar about it and when we know more from your sensors in the nodes, we can choose a fitting design. Thank you Ceri for all of your help. If we get another ship Alistair really can use the Tharsis to fly and rescue the people from Wandu." Ceri chuckled and warmth flowed into Bia's mind.

"You are welcome. And Bia, I am also thankful. If we free the Tharsis I can pursue my goal on Wandu better." With happy thoughts Bia drifted off to sleep.

An hour later Zar looked down at the girl as she was napping on the bench. She looked innocent and serene. As Nick entered the galley, Zar put his finger to his lips and pointed with the other hand to her. He whispered to him.

"Let her sleep! I think she needs it after all the stuff that happened to her." Nick nodded, grabbed a bottle of water and went to his cabin. With Damon readying the raider and flying it back to Hunters Back, it fell to Zar and Bia to pilot the Tharsis. Zar wanted to let Bia sleep, but also wanted to make her happy.

He called Nick and sent him to Aunt Mollie's to bring back food for the next two days and give Mollie their regards, but they needed to make their way back. When both ships were ready to make their way home Bia was still napping. She woke up an hour before they left normal space she woke up and hurried into a ship suit, then went to Zar in the cockpit and charted the course and entry velocity for their way home.

Having slept through the takeoff Bia only now tock notice that Nick's paperwork went through without a hitch and was saved into the official databases. Nick relayed how Aunt Mollie wished them a good return and proposed they bring new vegetables and fruits on their return, whenever that may be.

With Damon staying on the raider for the trip back, Bia and Zar shared bridge duty when Bia wasn't in the lab and worked on the algae and the cuttings of the fruits from Wandu. Ceri helped her to accelerate the growth in the cuttings and right before landing on Hunters Back they had enough roots to get planted. Over the next two days Bia noticed how Nick tried often to share the same spaces as her and flirted shamelessly with her. The evening before they dropped back into normal space, she said to Ceri.

"Ceri, I found Nick googling me again. I can now understand what Damon meant at least from his side. I really need to put him off the idea that there will be anything between us." Ceri replied softly.

"Well, Damon had a good point, do you want him on the team to gather the last nodes of the core? I already dropped enough cells into him to lock anything up he might hear so he can't relay secrets to other parties."

"I don't really know him good enough. Damon and Zar were accidents and they are very good people. But Damon and you are right, I can't trust everyone I meet. I think it would be best to put him under the tutelage of aunt Vera and see what he makes of himself. We don't need the additional manpower. If he were a specialist in any way maybe, but at this moment, he isn't more than muscle, and in my opinion really annoying." Bia chuckled.

"And..." Ceri replied.

"you are not quite as interested in him as in..."

"I think we should stop this thought process of yours. No, I may have turbulent hormones, but that is all. You hear me, Ceri? That is all." Bia interrupted Ceri.

That evening Bia sat down with Nick and told him bluntly.

"Nick, I don't like your googling me at all times. It feels as if I am under scrutiny and I did nothing to deserve that. And combined with your flirtatious character, the fact you are coming with me to Hunters Back and what I just went through the last month I feel under pressure by your advances." Nicks eyes rounded and he lost his smirk. He thought a moment and replied in a much calmer and serious tone.

"Bia, I flirt, that is my thing, but if it makes you that uncomfortable, I try to lose it or at least tone it down. I mean you are a hot woman and I love your sass..."

"Nick" growled Bia at him interrupting his sentence.

"BUT that doesn't mean I want to put pressure on you. I do like to stay friends with you though." Now he grinned at her and asked impish.

"Well if you are not liking my advances, you think you want more from Damon?"

"Nick!" screeched Bia at him shoving his shoulder hard.

"By the stars, how do you come up with that one?" now he laughed.

"Oh, that is easy, I read people. And he didn't quite like me before we came to Keplar III, but as you proposed I go back to Hunters Back with you, this small vein at his neck began furiously to pump. I am fairly certain if he could, he would throw me out of an airlock. He acts a bit possessive of you but has no problem with Zar in the mix. Well that one looks at you mostly like a sister; so, no competition there." Unbelieving her own ears Bia shook her head and asked.

"How do you know that?"

"As I said I watch and read people. So, what will it be? Should I flee off Hunters Back and never return or can we be friends?" Bia took a few moments to think about it and hold her hands out to him.

"Okay we can be friends." He just looked at the Hand, grabbed her and pulled her in a hug.

"Girl, friends hug and don't shake hands. Where did you grow up? Under a rock?" She relaxed into the hug, losing the awkward feeling she had regarding him.

"Well, kind of." She laughed at him.

"We mined an asteroid, put a glass cap over the entrance and called it home." Now it was his turn to look unbelieving when he asked her.

"You are kidding, right?"

"Nope!" She grinned broadly at him and left him in the galley.

After making plans to sit down with Damon and Zar as soon she got the results of Ceri's scans regarding the asteroids she enjoyed the way home, sincerely Bia looked forward to tell Marr about what all happened. The rest of their way to Hunters Back, Zar noticed that Nick flirted less with Bia and the mood on board went up. After arrival at the station everyone met at the claim home. Nick was very surprised by the tour of one of the green houses and left after dinner with aunt Vera who promised to house him until she knew what level of education she is working with.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

399K 10.1K 38
10:00 PM KST. Lisa grit her teeth. Shit. In about 30 minutes, Jennie Kim's plane would arrive in Incheon Airport from Paris. Yet here I am, sitting b...
59.2K 3K 24
What would you feel when you came back and had a crush on someone who turns out to be your fiancee? Follow Kyle as she ventures into the world of com...
446K 11.9K 40
She was my sin in the middle of the night and the name my body craved. She was my passion and I was her curiosity. From her infectious smile to those...
Runaway By Jade

Teen Fiction

299K 10.6K 44
I've been on the run for three years. I'm not the first, but I certainly won't be the last. For as long as I can remember, I had been experimented...