Knight for the Prince

By MadelaineTaljaard

Marilyn's mother died of cancer. Forced to live with her uncle. Merchant Lord Grimston is well known and resp... More

Chapter 1 - Escape
Chapter 2 - The Gauntlet
Chapter 3 - Mark of the Golden Lion
Chapter 4 - King Arnoldus
Chapter 5 - Queen Evelyn
Chapter 6 - Duel with a Prince
Chapter 7 - Prince or Damsel in disstres?
Chapter 8 - Sabrina's vow
Chapter 9 - Paladin guide
Chapter 10 - Pounding Hearts
Chapter 11 - Galahad's disrespect
Chapter 12 - Small Establishment of Paladin Knights
Chapter 13 - Ristheart, The Fox of Fate
Chapter 14 - The Mountain Pass
Chapter 15 - Lone Sorceress
Chapter 16 - The Troubled heart of a Prince
Chapter 17 - Wheel of fate
Chapter 18 - Arwin's Punishment
Chapter 19 - News of Tragedy
Chapter 20 - A Way Out
Chapter 21 - Agatha's Cursed Necklace
Chapter 22 - Kidnapped
Chapter 23 - The Crown under Siege
Chapter 24 - Agatha's final fall
Chapter 25 - Trial by Knight
Chapter 26 - Arwin Claims His Knight
2000 years later - Responsibility
Fact File: Paladin Guides
Some Fan Art

Chapter 27 - Celia's Paladin Guide

391 20 102
By MadelaineTaljaard

Arwin is helping his father with paper work in his office. They have been drafting several letters for paladin knights on duty in the furthest corners of the kingdom. Ever since their return from the kings council there has been increased military activity on the border of the White Valley.

In answer Arnoldus increased his army size at the border. But the paladin knights in his army is enough of a deterant against their troops.

"Father, it looks like Drachna is all bark and no show. Everyone claims that Drachna is so powerful but Marilyn beat him," Arwin says.

"Do not fail to heed Leticia's warning about the griffon king. He is a much bigger threat than we realize. The paladin knights may be able to stand up to him but they lack the experience to challenge him openly. Marilyn already told me they did not defeat Drachna. They only outsmarted him. Do not be blind sided by this. If Drachna decides to truly march on our lands the paladins can only bide us so much time to flee. Drachna is a master of the dark arts. We will not survive a war against him."

The silence is suddenly pierced by the thundering of hooves in the castle halls. "Millston! How many times do I have to tell you your paladin horse is not for joyriding in the castle!" shouts Arnoldus.

A girl whoops excitedly as the hooves continue to thunder through the hallway. "Father, Millston is on a mission with Nox by the coast!"

"Maybe it's Grendelow!" suggests Arwin over the noise.

"Grendelow never comes to the second floor of the castle. Besides, he has been very calm ever since Keera made it a part of Celia's duties!" replies Ashton.

Arnoldus and Ashton gave each other a meaningful look before bursting through the office door. Ashton backs right into king Arnoldus behind him as he is nearly skewered by a new paladin guide. They watch as Celia whoops excitedly as the horse continues to gallop through the hall. Marilyn's paladin guide is easily keeping pace. Ashton shakes his head in confusion. Horses don't have horns.

'Celia stay focused! Don't lose control!' Marilyn shouts through her guide, that flies past them shouting at Celia. They reach the balcony. 'Celia watch out!... What the... Stop! CELIA STOP!'

Concerned the three men rush out of the office to the balcony overlooking the courtyard. Arnoldus stand stunned. The horse is standing midair. "How the hell can a horse stand in midair like that?" Arwin asks.

'Celia, pay attention! Now stay focused on me and listen. Now I don't want you to panic. If you panic now you are going to fall. Keep your paladin power flowing. Don't release it until I say you can. Now, look around you,' Marilyn instructs through her paladin guide.

"So I am in the courtyard and outside," replies Celia.

"Now look down," Marilyn instructs.

She did and in her panic lost her hold of her paladin power. "Fall freeze!" Ashton shouts with an edge of worry in his voice. Celia's fall stops a finger's breadth from the ground. Ashton breathes a heavy sigh of relief and rushes to Celia's aid.

The king watches the whole thing with a very curious glance and rubs his chin thoughtfully. Ashton is far too concerned about the girl's well-being. Right now there is a slight pink blush on Celia's face as Ashton helps her to her feet. "Is it just me or is there something going on that I should know about?"

"Why would you say that father?" Arwin asks.

"Ashton, practically had a heart attack when she fell and then he runs off to help her on her feet. What is up with that?" Arnoldus wonders.

Arwin circles his arm possessively around Marilyn's waist. "I don't know father, but you are not going to play matchmaker with him either."

"I am starting to get pretty good at it and besides, it's good entertainment, " replies Arnoldus with a devious smirk on his face.

"Father! Ashton is going to have a field day if he finds out and he will pick it up very fast," Arwin tries to sway his father.

"I already have a few ideas," Arnoldus with a smirk tugging at the corner of his mouth.

Aranorn comes out into the courtyard with a squire named Landon in tow. "Ashton, what is going on? Have Grendelow decided to try and find Marilyn again or why did I hear a horse in the castle?"

"Sorry, knight commander. It is my fault," Celia apologizes. "Grendelow is still in his stall. I unlocked my paladin guide last evening and I kind of didn't listen to her majesty and wanted to see what else my paladin guide can do."

"Celia, It is for your own good that rules are in place. Disobedience is only going to get you into trouble. Since your paladin guide is a horse, you can get some advice from Millston when he returns from his mission," Aranorn says calmly.

"My paladin guide isn't a horse-" Celia starts to say.

"It sounded like one to me." Aranorn cuts in.

"It's a unicorn," Celia corrects him.

"How did she get a unicorn and I got a stupid electric eel?" Landon says with a dejected tone.

"Landon, please speak with more respect for your guide. Each paladin guide is different and depends from person to person. Just because Celia gained a different guide does not make her stronger than you." Aranorn rebukes Landon. He turns his attention to Celia. "Congratulations young lady."

Landon looks down guiltily.

"Thank you, commander," replies Celia.

"Not just that, it seems that paladin guides also mimic the real deal," says Ashton.

"Why would you say that, lord Ashton?" Aranorn asks Ashton.

"I just discovered that unicorns can fly by accident," replies Celia.

"Indeed and if I am right you also possess a unicorn's most powerful ability besides healing, which is teleportation. I believe that like Bonecrusher, Celia shares her paladin guide's magical abilities," Ashton states.

"Are you studying us, Ashton?" Aranorn asks.

"No, an observation. We should consider researching this theory as it will help to train future paladins more easily, " Ashton advises.

"Ashton, that is an excellent idea. Since I am training Landon we better test that theory of yours if you are right this means we will have to start training paladins differently than previously. We are going to have to set up a system to train paladins more effectively. It will also give us an idea of which strengths we should train the different types of paladins with their guides. Because Grayle has a snake guide and it makes him perfect for investigating criminal activities and spying, but his combat skills are fairly limited, while my wolf guide is a jack of all trades," Aranorn replies thoughtfully.

"What exactly are you getting at, Aranorn?" asks Arnoldus that has joined them and overhears their conversation.

"An elite academy for paladins. The only one of its kind on the Amber Continent. The idea is to use this new information to improve every paladin's set of skills." Aranorn replies.

"That is a brilliant idea," Arwin comments from behind his father.

"Then it's your project Arwin."

"Father, I believe this is my wife's department since she is also a paladin," Arwin informs his father.

Arnoldus looks at his son thinking for a moment before turning his attention to Marilyn. "Arwin makes a valid point, my dear. It seems you and your father have your work cut out for you."

"We will need the wizard's help to do the research," replies Marilyn

Arnoldus gets a steely glint in his eyes as he looks at Ashton standing next to Celia. "Ashton can help you with the research."

"What!? With all due respect. My hands are already full. I am certain one of my magicians will be more than adequate to handle this."

"It is about time you start training another magician to become one of my scribes," Arnoldus insists. "You can ask Celia to help you. She seems very handy to me and last time I checked you have an entire tower full of magicians at your disposal. Don't make me turn this into an order." Making it impossible for Ashton to refuse.

"Yes, your majesty," Ashton replies.

Marilyn looks at Arwin in surprise and sees him grimace. Seems like her father-in-law is going to play matchmaker and by the looks of it, he is setting it up nicely. Ashton is not suspecting a thing. What is worse he is the king and Ashton has to obey his orders no matter what Arnoldus wants. Arwin has told her that lately even Aranorn has been targeted by Arnoldus matchmaking schemes, but her father simply turns a blind eye and expertly dodges Arnoldus's attempts.

Marilyn continues to feel the same discomfort in her belly as she did when she woke up this morning. The tightness started a few days ago and it is not going away. Today it is almost painful.

She looks at the position of the sun. "Arwin, we need to go. We are late for breakfast with your mother again." He stole a kiss from her before she leaves to freshen up.

"Evelyn is going to have my head for breakfast if I don't hurry up. We will continue this discussion later," Arnoldus says with a slight edge in his voice.

"Yes, your majesty," replies Aranorn.

Marilyn enters the banquet hall short on Arnoldus's heels. Arwin looks at Marilyn with concern when she sits down next to him. "My love, you still look a little pale from this morning."

"I feel fine. If I was ill I would have known about it already through my paladin magic," Marilyn assures Arwin.

"You look pale, Marilyn," Arwin insists.

The servants set the breakfast on the table and the mixed smell of food turns the fuzzy feeling in her to nausea. Suddenly she feels sick. "Oh-no!" She jumps up and runs from the room.

"Geyda, would you mind checking up on her?" asks the Queen.

But the servant girl is already following Marilyn. Marilyn slides her hand over the armor that feels a little tight over her belly. She did not feel as fuzzy as she did before, but the smell of food triggered her nausea.

"Are you alright?" Geyda asks concerned.

"I am fine Geyda. Honestly," Marilyn insists. Marilyn places a hand over her abdomen. The tightness does not go away. She needs to watch her weight.

"You do know they are going to insist that a healer takes a look at you," Geyda says.

"It is probably just some added weight I need to take care of, " Marilyn replies hoping to set Geyda at ease.

"It can explain the tightness that you are feeling but I am not entirely convinced," Geyda leaves and Marilyn washes her face.

She returns to the table, but Geyda did not reappear. Marilyn says nothing because she did not want anyone to worry.

"Was it something you ate?" Evelyn tries with concern.

"It could also be because of some extra weight. It is nothing. My paladin magic would have taken care of the illness long ago," Marilyn insists.

There is a smile tugging at the queen's lips but she makes no further comment about it.

Marilyn finishes her breakfast with the queen and leaves to continue Celia's training.

🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🦊🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾

Later that day Narine and Vivian arrive from the wizard's tower just before lunch. Geyda has invited both of them to have lunch with the queen along with Marilyn. Marilyn excuses herself from lunch when Keera invites her to join her and Celia for lunch in the royal pit.

After lunch, Marilyn is summoned to Arwin's chambers of the castle. When she arrives she finds Queen Evelyn along with Narine, Vivian, Arwin, and Geyda. The moment she steps inside, Arwin shuts the door behind her.

"My love, I am doing this, because I am concerned. I am asking you because I love you and I am worried that something might be wrong. Narine and Vivian are both healers," Arwin insists.

There is a look of astonishment on Marilyn's face. "But I have always been under the impression that dark magic is only used for combat."

Narine burst out laughing.

"Healing can be mastered by any element of magic and that includes dark magic. I am here because Vivian has been my student for years. Her water-based magic is much better suited to examining you than my dark magic basis. I am only here for moral support and to give Vivian some guidance. The reason for this is simple. Dark magic is a natural enemy of light magic and that means I can not examine you without causing you harm. You see opposite elements never mix. If they try to heal the other they will do more damage than good," Narine explains.

"But I am fine. I don't feel fuzzy anymore. There is no need for a healer," Marilyn continues to insist that nothing is wrong.

How much more must I explain myself? If I was ill I would have known about it immediately.

Arwin sighs troubled. His wife is as stubborn as a rock sometimes especially when it came to her well-being.

"My theory is that there are some things that paladin magic can not tell their masters. Paladin magic has been known to keep the health of paladins in top shape until their dying breath. The problem is that paladin magic can not detect if something is different but your body is still following its natural course." As Marilyn listens she unconsciously rubs across the tight feeling of her lower abdomen.

Narine raises her eyebrows in surprise as she suddenly realizes something. "Just let Vivian take a look at you. I am certain that it is nothing serious."

Marilyn looks at Arwin for help. "Do it for me, my knight."

She sighs heavily as she looks back at Narine. "What do I need to do to get this over with?"

"I  just need you to remove your armor and lie down on your bed," replies Narine.

"Geyda will help you," replies Evelyn.

As Marilyn moves towards her and Arwin's shared bedroom she starts to remove her gauntlets and bracers which are now much more feminine in design and undid the clasps of her armor. She feels extremely relieved when her abdomen is freed from the pressure. When Marilyn goes to lie down Vivian is already standing in the doorway. Her brown eyes are very observant of Marilyn's every move.

"How long have you been feeling discomfort in your abdomen when you wear your armor?" she asks with a hint of concern in her voice.

"A few days. I think it is just a little bit of added weight. Nothing to be concerned about," Marilyn assures her.

"Has the pressure been increasing or decreasing?" Vivian asks.

"Does it matter?" Marilyn still tries to escape being examined by Vivian.

"Indulge me," Vivian insists.

"Increasing," Marilyn replies honestly.

Vivian says nothing but Marilyn can tell that she is thinking of something. Marilyn lies down on the bed and waits for Vivian. She uses her hand to examine Marilyn. A faint bluish glow emanates from Vivian's hand. Marilyn feels a rush of cool air skim across the surface of her skin, causing goosebumps to stand up on her skin. A shiver runs through her.

"Everything is perfectly healthy as you have assured us but there is nothing that can be done about your swelling abdomen. For the next six to seven months I will advise you not to wear your armor. You are expecting a baby." It takes Marilyn a few moments to register exactly what Vivian is telling her.

"Are you telling me that I am with child?" Marilyn asks in surprise. Marilyn was not expecting this as she stares at Vivian with wide eyes.

"Yes, your majesty, " Vivian replies.

"Vivian, can you help me with a dress?" Marilyn asks as she stands up. It feels strange and wonderful to know that new life is growing and pulsing inside of her and the knowledge that it is her and Arwin's child fills her with joy.

She quickly stands up from the bed and Vivian helps her with the corset dress. Marilyn returns to the lounge area with Vivian short on her heels and finds Arwin sitting in a chair with a worried expression, while both Evelyn, Geyda, and Narine with expectant looks on their faces.

"Marilyn, why are you wearing a dress instead of the armor you usually wear?" He asks with concern.

"Because for the next few months, I won't be able to wear my armor. I told you there is nothing wrong with me. Now can I please speak with Arwin in private?" she asks seriously.

"Vivian, is it what I suspect?" Narine asks.

Vivian nods and the three women start to smile as they stand up. "Do you mind if I tell Arnoldus?" asks Evelyn.

"No, I just want to tell Arwin by myself please," says Marilyn.

"I understand, better than you realize. Ladies let's go and find my husband," says Evelyn as she stands up.

"Evelyn, can I ask you to give him a message?" Marilyn asks.

"Of course," Evelyn replies and stops at the door as the other three ladies leave the room behind her.

"Ask him to put Celia on my protection detail. If he asks why just tell him that it is part of Celia's paladin trial. According to the Paladin Trial Master, my safety is in her hands," Marilyn replies.

"I will ask him," Evelyn replies.

"Thank you." Marilyn turns her attention back to Arwin. He comes to his feet as the three women leave them alone. For a few moments, there is a silence between them as Marilyn reminds herself that she has faced her greatest fear and walked away to tell the tale, yet she could not help to be nervous about this. He comes closer to her and takes her hands and holds them in his as he looks into her eyes expectantly.

"Arwin, I love you so much and I hope you will stick with me through thick and thin. For the next few months, I am not going to be myself. I have heard from other women in my condition that they can suddenly start to act strangely and crave unusual things to eat," Marilyn says as she looks into his eyes.

"I love you just as much but what is this about?" He asks. There is still confusion all over his features.

"How would you like to be called daddy by next year?" she asks him with a smile tugging at the corner of her mouth.

Emotions flash across his face in quick succession, but the next moment he draws her in his arms and kisses her passionately.

"I am going to be a father! We are going to be parents!" he loudly proclaims.

Marilyn doesn't get a chance to reply as he lifts her off her feet in a tight hug and kisses her on her nose and cheeks. She laughs at Arwin's reaction to the news.

"My beloved knight, that is the best news ever. By the way, you are as beautiful in a dress as you are in your armor. Let's go and break the news to your father."

They rush off into the hallways of the castle in haste to break the news to Aranorn. With a bright future before them and the promise of a never-ending story filled with hope, love, and faith they greet life in the fullness thereof. The paladin falcon screeches happily as it darts freely out of a window and flies around the castle. Keeping an ever-watchful eye out for danger as far as the eye can see. It disappears and brings an end to this tale.

🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🦊🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾

I don't want it to end *sniff*. 😢

Does any story ever truly end? No, it goes on and on and on in our hearts, minds, dreams, and imaginings.
😗😙😚😘

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20 0 1
Princess. All my life, I have been waiting to become Queen, to finally be entitled to the throne. Having sleepless nights, studying hard, practicing...
11.4M 152K 10
*completed NOW A PUBLISHED NOVEL!* An ancient Cursed bloodline, a world-crossed romance, tyrant kings, a princess with dragon wings, a forbidden love...
607K 23.3K 52
"Estelle, I will kill any man who stands in my way of having you. I will kill one to one thousand men!" I snarled, fury consuming me as her frightene...