Life in the Palace (Prince Ha...

By SophiaJohnson255

**Fifth book in the series: Summer in Scotland, Across the Pond, Princess in Training, Running Around Royal... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Discontinued

Chapter Eight

867 37 4
By SophiaJohnson255

Meredith was passed out on the bed. He had managed to get her back up to the hotel room, and then she flopped down on the bed and went back to sleep. He took off her shoes and laid them on the ground beside her. Since then, which she had been snoring loudly for the past three hours, Harry had been reading some of the books she had along. Meredith always brought several books in case she either finished the book and loved it or hated the book and quit it. There was really no in between. Harry wasn't much of a reader, and with the sun shining, it was hard not to be outside.

As usual, Meredith had brought a poetry book along, and Harry flipped through that, trying to find some poems that he was able to later impress his wife with. He still remembered the romantic poem that really won Meredith over. He tried to think of the last time he recited it to her; maybe it was time to pull it out again... or wait until she got angry with him and then pull it.

Harry tried to read-- he really did-- but in the end, his own eyelids drooped, and his head was heavy. Slipping off his shoes, he climbed into bed beside his wife, and Meredith rolled over and welcomed in, laying her sleeping head on his chest. Harry wrapped his own arms around him.

Eventually, by mid-afternoon, Meredith started to stir. Her stomach growled with hunger, and she had to pee so badly. Still, her body felt tired, and it was so hard to remove herself from Harry's warm body. When she wasn't able to take it anymore,  she finally got out of bed and went to the bathroom.

When she came out, she was craving something different than she was able to find with all the snacks in the room. With Harry sleeping peacefully, she was quiet as she ate what they did have. It didn't fulfill the craving, but it fended off the constant hunger for now. Sitting down in the chair that Harry had been in, she cracked open a book. She made it five pages in before closing the book, finding that it wasn't for her.

"I didn't like that one either," Harry croaked from the bed.

Meredith startled. "Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you up." It was probably her snacking.

"Don't worry. It's probably time to get up anyway." Harry hung his feet off the bed and sat up. His joints cracked when he stretched. His own stomach growled.

"What do you want?" Meredith held up several snack bags that she had open.

Harry pointed, and she tossed it to him. Once again, it wasn't the best food, but it was good. His stomach had been a little upset after the early morning pie-shake, but now, that had subsided. He didn't want to get it upset again, but he had hunger gnawing at him. Both of them were still tired, probably still recovering from their world tour and lack of sleep.  Harry finished up the bag of chips and sighed. "Now what?"

"I don't know," Meredith yawned and stretched. She wanted a lazy day, and she got it. She was so close to Lake Superior, but Harry probably wasn't going to allow her to go swimming, only due to the fact of how cold it was. Meredith was used to the chill. She had to meet him halfway with that one. "Though, we should probably do something." She stood up and held out her hand, and Harry took it.

They changed and got ready, unsure of where they were going. It seemed normal to a lot of people, getting ready to get ready without an idea of what was coming next. For the past five months, their lives had been planned out, minute by minute. It was this event and this outfit change, and this was going to happen. They had so much freedom, and it was hard to now know what to do with it. There were things to do in Superior and Duluth, but Meredith had spent almost four years here; she had done it all.

Either way, she didn't want to hit up the tourist traps. She knew what was good here and what wasn't. This was almost like a hometown to her. It was good to visit, say hello to the old friends, but soon, it was good to go home. Some part of her missed it, and some part of her was missing London too.

In the end, they went to the mall in Duluth, which was up on the hill. None of the books that she brought now interested in. She was going to keep them for later in case something changed. She browsed the shelves of books at the bookstore, and Harry held the basket, warning that they somehow needed to get these books back to London.

"We could pick you out a book," she said.

Harry wasn't so keen on that. He liked to be moving, and reading didn't offer much of that.

Meredith found two books, limiting herself, and they checked out. Putting the in the back of the car, they decided it was time to go eat, and Harry thought they hadn't already eaten stereotypically American today, then he was wrong. Meredith took him a restaurant with a constant long line and that specialized in massive steaks. Having read the books, Meredith knew that she wasn't able to eat too much red meat, but didn't mean that she wasn't able to.

Several times throughout the three-hour dinner, which Meredith seemed to not mind the length because she was happy to be there and be with Harry, the servers stopped what they did and started to line dance; all of them wore matching cowboy hats and boots with the same denim outfits. There were peanuts still in their shells on their tables. Everything was wood except for the concrete floor as if they were in a barn.  Even their waiter used a fake Southern accent.

"It's Texas," Meredith clarified when the waiter left after taking their order.

"It was fake."

"He probably thinks your accent is fake," she pointed out, digging into the free bread. Harry was sure that the free warm bread was actual reason she chose this place.

Harry rolled his eyes. "I didn't realize you were 'Southern gal' at heart."

"Hell no. Northern for life." Her accent turned thickly Minnesotan. "I'm happy you didn't order the grits."

"Yes, I thought it was best that I didn't." Harry had tried them before, but he suspected his wife just didn't want to think about it. "You just wanted a taste of Texas?"

"It was more the large portion sizes."

Harry wanted to argue that everywhere in the United States had larger portion sizes, but when their food came, it came as a surprise that Texas had stepped up the game even more. Meredith ate her small red meat steak, happy to have it because she missed the taste so much. Harry liked steak, but it was obvious that he didn't love it as much as his wife. They were so full in the end that the two of them just had to watch the waiters line dance again.

Before heading back to their hotel, Meredith, who was driving, decided to head to most touristy spot in all of Duluth. She handed Harry his hat because it obvious that he wasn't happy about going, again hesitant about me recognizing them. When there were less crowds, there was less of a chance. At Canal Park, Meredith parked the car and paid for the spot during summer. The sun was starting to go down, and some of the tourists had left for the evening.

They walked the pier like everyone else, and they became in the mesh of couples. Harry interlaced his fingers with Meredith's. They did the rounds, walking out to the lighthouse and then turning their attention back in.

A large cargo ship from the United Kingdom was coming in, and it was probably going to leave with iron ore. Northern Minnesota did a lot mining of iron ore and taconite. The cargo vessel was not weighed down just yet. On board the ship, the sailors came to the top and waved to the crowds that had gathered to see the ship come in. The captain blew the horn, and it felt like the whole world trembled at that sound. A smile spread from ear-to-ear on Meredith, remembering all the times she came to the canal with her friends in college. The liftbridge went up to let the cargo ship in, and the tourists continued to watch.

"Come on," Meredith said, pulling Harry away from everyone else.

They started their trek down the beach until the sharp rocks turned into smooth rocks. An old ice fishing house laid on the shores of Duluth after sinking. The rusty remains still poked out of the water. On the beach, Harry and Meredith sat in the sand for the second night in the row. Last night, they too had watched a sunset; granted, Meredith had been speaking with her friends mostly. 

It was only them on the beach, and it was fairly quiet except for the waves lapping against the shore. The sun went down behind them, but the sky turned hues before their eyes. Meredith picked at the smooth and round rocks. She was looking for anything interesting, but she only found the usual. The quartz was quite shiny when wet. The branded iron rocks looked to have taken bites out of the iron ore. She handed Harry a few that were particularly round and smooth, and he tried his best to skip them. He got a few to go a few bounces, but none were further than that. Even then, Harry tried again.

Meredith laughed on the beach, and Harry asked, "Do you think you can do better?"

"I know that I can't," she admitted with a smile, not having the flick of the wrist like others did.

"I got to get good at skipping rocks," he said. "That way when we got to the beach, I can teach the child something about water."

"You can have fishing, and I'll teach them to swim."

It was true: Harry did know how to fish. He had gone on several holidays just to go fishing.  He flicked another rock out, and it skipped twice.

"Harry?" Meredith asked, and he looked back. She wasn't concerned about anyone hearing when no one was around. "How many kids are we having?"

Harry sputtered at the discussion.

She went on, "We discussed having kids-- we didn't say how many. I feel like that's something we should've discussed earlier, but...." She shrugged. To be honest, she thought she had more time before even thinking about children, and now, she was going to have a child. "I have a brother. You have a brother. Two is good for me."

"Two then," Harry agreed. Most of the people in his family had two children anyway. It was something he was most comfortable with.

"Also," Meredith continued, "I'm not doing them back-to-back." She was dead serious. "We are putting space between them.  I do not need two kids under three years old or some shit." Her and her brother were spaced out almost ten years. They weren't particularly close, but they were both independent.

Harry nodded, agreeing.

"Now, move aside. Let me try." Meredith stood, and Harry passed her a stone. She threw it, and it landed with a clunk. "Sounds about right." She laughed.

"Here." Harry wrapped his arms around her, showing her the movement. A blush started to form on her cheeks. Harry took her hands in his, and they flicked the rock out together. Still, it didn't go far, clunking and sinking to the bottom. Harry leaned back. "Let's try again."

Meredith twisted out of that. "Really, I've tried many times before. It hasn't succeeded. I rather watch the sunset." She went and sat back on the rocks. Tiredness made her eyes droop. Harry went and joined his wife, watching the sky turn dark. The waves turned calm. 

When they had sat there long enough, they started their walk back to the car, going along the car lake now. Meredith had never seen it so calm, but then again, she felt this calm around Harry.

Before they left, Meredith stood on the rocky shore, unsure of when she was going to be back. Next time, she came, though, she was going to have a baby in her arms. She was going to show her child the wonders of this lake and why it meant so much to her. Lake Superior was like many of the things that Meredith was saying good-bye to. She thought she already had said farewell when getting married, but it was never really over.

"Mere?" Harry asked, standing next to the car.

She let out a sigh and then called, "Coming." Meredith gave the lake one last look, and then she walked to the car.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2M 22.5K 109
Eveline Delamane is currently speeding through life at 15 wtf's per hour. Most evenings are spend with three bottles of gin and two of her best mates...
164K 2.1K 63
Two years of marriage, Prince Harry and Lucy have gotten comfortable with their lives. It has been nice. With lots of pressure from outside sources a...
22.9K 508 24
The newly widowed Prince of Wales interviews young Lady Diana Spencer for the nanny position to take care of his young sons. Since losing their mothe...
5.4K 79 12
Once upon a time... a not so ordinary Prince crashes into a ordinary college girl in the streets of NYC and something is born. They will go through...