The God and The Youth [Identi...

By re_frAIne

Never again would the Sun God believe he would fall, but he did. Time will only tell if he will be taken away... More

Lonely travels of a Sun God
Routine
Hyacinth's Morning
Apollo's Night
Two Fates and One untold
Revealed but unsaid
Music for a sleepless soul
My eyes, your eyes
Your Haven, My Haven
Scene One
Scene Two
Scene three
Act 2
Act 3
Small Truths
Nightmares
If only
Confront
Lucky Lucky!
Happy Birthday (Unedited)
Bargaining (Unedited)
Breakthrough (Unedited)

Vulnerability of the Heart

769 35 10
By re_frAIne

It was a strange day for Naib Subedar. He woke up feeling strangely empty. He's been feeling that way for a while now, since that day. The morning sun had done nothing to soothe the odd aching cold enveloping his heart. He walks with caution, hiding his Gurkha blades by the folds of his chiton.

When he reached the dining hall, he'd been the last one out of bed. "Good morning Naib, I'm sorry I couldn't wake you." Aesop apologized, his hair seemed to be covered with more than one flower this time. "Man, you really slept like a log ya know? You wouldn't budge!" William mused. "Ye sorry about that," Naib sighed, taking his seat explaining "I must've been lackin' in sleep or somethin'"

"I don't think so." William, pointed towards the unofficial Tri love triangle, "you immediately collapsed to sleep after you fetched these three." The guilty simultaneously scratched their head bashfully. "Would you like to take a day off of training? We can cover for you." Joseph offered, Aesop nodded in agreement while Eli vaguely agreed.

"Nah, I'll be fine dude. I've got more to me ya know!" Naib jestered, attempting to emulate his usually cheerful self. "Naib, take a break." His stare was evident even with a blindfold covering his eyes. Naib however wasn't budging. "Seriously I am." With stern words, he hoped he could hide behind them, but the foundation was weak and so was he then.

Eli only sighed, then Aesop piped in saying "if I'm not wrong, Norton's free today. You can spare with him IF he agrees. If not, then he'll accompany you while you rest." With Aesop looking at him sincerely, it was the breaking point.

"Fine." Naib sighed, stuffing his mouth with food as he did right after, "but ya can bet he'll allow me to spar!"

"No." A sound of distress echoed inside Naib. "Come on dude!" Naib coaxed. "You of al' people should know this could take ma' mind of it..". Norton smiled serenely, patting Naib's shoulders. He looked at Norton with hope twinkling in his eyes. "Still, No." Now that was a punch to the gut.

"You haven't been Normal since you heard what Pats said." Norton explained. Naib perked up at this, a sly grin appeared in his face. "Oho? You've been meeting patricia ey?" "Ayy shush." The flustered boy swatted Naib's heart hands away. "This is not the point." He said.

Naib slowly deflated back. He looked at the hands the wandered to where his heart resides. "I guess, maybe I just haven't been feeling well ya know?" Norton hummed, "doubt it."

The two walked side by side in the forest they usually loiter in. The sky was particularly cloudy today and silent. Naib danced around the the thick tree roots that settled above ground while Norton followed suit. "I think there's someone who can help us." Naib looked back to see Norton leaning forward. "Who?" He asked, Norton took his hands and swiftly dashed further into the woods. "Patricia! She's the one who told you about it, maybe she has more to say!" "And how would we even find 'er?"

He saw Norton grin, the further they went, the darker it seemed to get. He said,

"One must be troubled to be consoled!"

Suddenly, they entered an opening. The scene infront of him had him in awe. It was strange. It was a cloudy sky before they entered the forest, and yet here, the sun seemed to be stuck at dawn. The sky was colored in an array of pinks and oranges. It was beautiful sight to see. The forest had opened up to reveal a field with grass reaching up to their waist. There, in the middle of it was a small looking cottage. It had an odd shape, it looked old but well maintained.

Naib could only stare in confusion. "Well what are you waiting for?" Norton beckoned him, "come on!" He pulled Naib through the tall grass. It looked sharped, but it was probably the softest thing to even caress him. He watched as Norton knocked on a tiny door, his smile was big and sweet as he said "Pats! I'm here!". He then heard a deep but melodious giggle beyond the door, "I told you not to call me that—" suddenly she grew in surprise. "Hey." Naib said, awkwardly smiling as he did.

Patricia Dorval smiled, "It's nice to see you again Naib, please come in come in." Entering Patricia's home gave him a much bigger surprise. It looked much bigger inside. Infinitely bigger. From where he stood, he could see 3 beds above him. "Your sisters?" He commented, patricia moved to a small area fixing them a drink. She hummed, "yes, however they are currently 'out' ". Turned to them, handing Norton a drink as well as Naib, but he could tell she had fondness for his friend.

"Please sit." She gestured to a small round table with 3 chairs. As he sat, he could see from the corner of his eye a big spindle wheel, was this her hobby? He wanted to ask but he digressed. "What's the matter?" She asked, the air suddenly took a turn. "Well, ya know I'd asked what this place is but I gotta feeling ya won't tell me." Naib told her with honesty.

Patricia looked at Norton as Naib saw her hide a hand below the table. "I would tell but It's hard to explain. Just know that you'll find me when you need me." She said vaguely. Norton nodded, "well, tell pats about the main topic of today Naib.". Patricia fumed, but agreed nonetheless, "yes, what did you need me for?"

He thought for a bit, he slowly rests his hands at the table. "If you can, I.. i need ya to check if whatever you felt then about what will happen is true." Patricia smiled then nodded, "It's no trouble." She says.

The Enchantress clasps with one hand the hand that Naib offered. Norton silently watched as Patricia traced the lines that made Naib's palms. It was a quiet event and it made Naib even more nervous the longer she held on, but seeing Norton believe in Patricia's abilities so much filled him with faith. When she opened her eyes, she looked Solemn. "You've seen a lot haven't you." Naib nodded and smiled woefully. Norton looked worried, his brows furrowed and in his mind he asked what happened while I was gone? "Naib?" He asked his voice uneasy.

"I saw somethings that made me question the people I know." Naib started, seeing as both Norton and Patricia were listening, he continued. "And with the things you said before, it didn't make it easier to shake off." For this he expressed a sense of grief, "I can't look at him the same way I use to."

Patricia looked at Norton with a serious expression on her face, she mouths to him who but he only shrugs. A tick appeared in her face as she kicked the back of Nortons leg. "Ouch!" He exclaimed, Naib looked at him curiously as if to say 'what the f—' but he stayed silent. Norton sheepishly rubbed his cheeks with his fingers, "I'm sorry but, who exactly?"

Without missing a beat, Naib answered him one person, "Eli." This only furthered Norton's confusion, Eli? Why him? Why the guy with the most placid disposition most of the time. "He's.. changed?" Saying that felt dirty to him, "N-no. That ain't right. He isn't changed to say, but he's definitely shown a different side to em." He answers.

"Is it related to what you saw?" The enchantress asked as Naib nodded, "a mere night ago, Eli had woken up from his sleep. He was gasping and in pain. Waking up to hearing that is scary enough but his eyes back then were.." he paused, he could see his hands trembling. "They.. didn't look like his."

"What do you mean?" Norton asked, his hand reached out to comfort Naib, but he again swatted it away. This was the first time he'd ever seen Naib so.. out of it. "S-sorry. It's just.. his eyes are normally a beautiful blue right? But that night, it looked like it belonged to a monster. Red eyes with a black void for a slit." He then looked at Patricia, his voice suddenly went a tone lower, as if he feared he would be heard by the beast he'd described, "is that what ya saw?"

Patricia shook her head, "I'm afraid not, I saw something else." However, she suddenly stood up looking somewhat frazzled. "What's wrong?" Naib said, at the same time Norton whined "Don't tell me times up!" "Well.." she looked back staring at Naib, gauging his soul right then and there. "This feeling you're getting disappear when their journey ends, your own journey will start. You'll meet him soon, but the reason why wont be good." Patricia sighed, "I'm sorry Naib, I really am. However nothing will change the fate that's been laid out for you. You'll make a sacrifice and the question is will you regret it then—"

Naid abruptly stood up, and so did Norton. "I don't understand!" "Come on Naib, we need to go." "Why!" Naib screamed, why do they have to leave already, they arrived minutes ago! "Time moves differently here, It's time to go." Norton swifly explained as he struggled to take him out to the door.

"I'm sorry for what I will do, but you must understand." Patricia muttered, placing her hand above his heart. She clenched her hand, a sting of pain suddenly shot through him, leaving him paralyze.

"W-what did y-ya do?"
"Something that will help you as you pass through." Patricia briefly said as they quickly shuffled out the door.

"If you have more question, ask them tomorrow. You'll know how to find me."

The moment they stepped out, it's as if the place they were just in a minite ago suddenly turned to dust and disappeared into the air. Everything seemed to just.. return to the way it was before except the sun had definitely already set.

"What the hell.." it was the first few words that came our of Naib's mouth after that whole affair. He looked at his hands, and to where he was before it changed back, he heard Norton sigh morosely behind him. "I'm sorry." He said, "I guess that didn't help after all, I think I made it even worst." It was true yes but Naib couldn't disaggree more.

"Butttt it did get my mind off of it so I guess win win?" Naib said dubiously, "win win?" Norton questioned.

He could see Naib's face start to form a smirk. Naib shoved him playfully remarking, "I could see you two holdin hands below the table ya know, and don't even try denying it!" "Ay ay ay ay!" The flushed boy starting covering his ears and stiffly marched out of the woods.

The walk back was laced with crippling quietness. Norton eyed Naib, he saw how he struggled to change the topic without bringing that up. "Are you sure you don't want to talk about that?" Naib look at him, and softly shook his head, "maybe some other time dude, just not today."

"I just hope the 'sacrifice' will be worth it"

"What's taking them so long?" William rubbed his nape in undisguised worry. It had been hours since they'd last seen Naib and Norton, but it was hard to tell where they wen't. There were no foot prints in the ground where they stood, they must've used the tree roots as their walk way.

Eli had already sent his owl to patrol hours ago too. The owl circled the area 2-4 times but nothing turned up, they just went up and vanished.

This had worried Aesop to no end. He had been pacing for hours now, since the sun had set. The only reason he was keeping calm was the fact Joseph held him back. Despite needing to go home, he took the risk to stay until the two were found.

"Should I go in?" William asked them, but Aesop shook his head in reply "It's too dangerous at night." "It's almost curfew.." Eli muttered looking up at the sky solemnly. Aesop slowly agreed to him, Joseph ruffled the top of his head whispering, "they're gonna be okay Aesop, believe in them.". With all the suspense going on, William bursts, "AAAHH I can't take this anymore man!" So he rushes in the forest.

But before he could go in, two heads pop in from the dark forest. "Hi." This had William recoilling back, screaming like a banshee. Thank the Gods we're far from the dormitory, Eli thought with relief before his thoughts were consumed.

"Where in Hell were you man! We we're worried sick!"

"You told us to not to that and yet here you are doing it yourself the next day, please don't."

"Where were you!?" Aesop rushed in the moment Joseph's gripped weakened, he weakly punched the chest of Norton and Naib in unison. His weak punches punctuated each syllable. Before Naib could answer, Norton answered for him "Sorry 'Sop, I got him lost in the woods. You know I'm not really familiar with the place yet." Naib glumly hummed in reply, " 'em sorry 'Sop"

Those words placated the fire in his heart, he whispers "never do that again, don't ever disappear like that again." Naib feels something grip at his heart, this time it wasn't an aching cold, but a stinging fear.

What if he couldn't keep it?

"Lost?" Eli suddenly spoke, they all looked at him. "Did you go somewhere?" He spoke with certainty, it didn't feel like a question, it felt as though he was really saying—

You went there didn't you.

Naib sheepishly smiled, "Nah, Nort nort just happened to get us in another part of the woods." Despite this, he knew Eli didn't believe in him. "Can we go back now?" Aesop spoke softly, his eyes somewhat dropping. "Naib and Norton must be tired.." William grinned at him, "you're right, why don't you sleep er tonight Nort?"

Norton beamed at him, "if you let me crash then sure!" While they were walking back, Aesop couldn't help but notice the somber disposition Naib was displaying.

"If you're worried about getting penalties, I can explain to father why you were late." Aesop offered to him, even though he was wrong; he was still thankful for the gesture. "Don't worry 'Sop."

"It'll be fine."

rAIne notes
Hi this doesn't make a lick of sense because I keep writing on different time frames. Sorry for that.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.7K 617 20
Completed. All works will stay here. As the title says. Only fluff and angst, nothing else.
30K 1K 12
They broke the rule and lied. Aesop Carl the Embalmer was having a hard time with his forbidden love. He planned to forget his feeling and decline th...
28.7K 853 45
‼️WARNING‼️ There will be swearing, dirty jokes, mpreg and dark humor! If that is not your cup of tea, then don't drink it, or in this case, read thi...
HYACINTHUS By poeticramblings

Historical Fiction

9.7K 555 25
Hyacinthus, a Spartan prince whose beauty was blessed by the gods. Apollo, the god of the Sun, whose eye had been caught by him. And Zephyros, the g...