The Runaway

By JaneKiley713

Daniel is an aspiring lawyer, like his Uncle Keegan. He has plans to become a member of parliament, even Prim... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Recent Events
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Epilogue

Chapter 4

120 6 1
By JaneKiley713

Daniel Goddard

I stared Olivia as she rocked her baby, avoiding all eye contact with me. Uncle sat beside me, scratching behind his ear. I knew she was in trouble, I just didn't understand how much trouble that was. Until now. She needed to be set free, but my solution would be too forward.

"Give the children my name, Olivia." I commanded, her name weighing heavily on my tongue. Her name was so lovely, and I adored being able to call her by her first name.

"I could never ask that of you, Mr. Daniel. My family shouldn't become your burden." She argued, stealing a glance at me. I rose and sat myself on her bedside, placing my hand on her lap.

"You are my friend, Olivia. And as my friend, I care for you, I care for your children. I want you to be safe, at all costs, Olivia." She looked at me like I had four heads.

"I can't ask that of you, Daniel. You don't know what they're like. You don't know what will happen to me. We will never be safe!" She exclaimed. "I don't think you understand my predicament, Mr. Daniel." I glanced at Uncle, nodding towards the door. Thankfully he understood my nod and left quietly.

"I promised you that you'd be safe. That only works if you share who's after you." I urged, curving my finger under her chin. Tilting her chin upwards, I saw the tears she was trying not to shed. She was so much stronger than I anticipated.

"Richard Montgomery," She whispered harshly. "He's my brother-in-law. He's not a good man—He's unfaithful to my sister—He-He-He... forced..." Olivia shook her head fiercely, pressing a tearful kiss to her daughter's head.

"He won't find them, Olivia. I'd never let him take them." I vowed. "I'd never let him take you. You must believe me." She shook her head fiercely, gripping her baby.

"He's nobility—a Duke, I think. He has money, resources and more than likely my father and brother on their way here. They'll take me back—I'll be returned to slavery —they'll take my children—" Olivia panicked, her knuckles turning white around the baby's muslin. I don't know how, but I managed to take the baby from her and place her in the bassinette beside the bed.

"Olivia," I murmured, taking her hands in mine. I had to offer my rash decision: marriage. "I can promise you freedom, but I don't think you'll like the idea. I can offer protection for you, your sister and your children. All you have to do is trust me. Can you do that?"

She nodded as the tears streamed down her face. God, I so desperately wanted to pull her into my arms and comfort her until all was right with the world. Instead, I pressed her hands to my lips as I closed my eyes. By marrying her, whoever owned her in her past life would have no hold over her. She'd be safe, but married to me, a man who hardly knew her and didn't deserve her.

"I value your friendship above all else. But the quickest way to ensure your freedom before these barbarians find you is to marry. I do not wish for you to think ill of me, or that I had ulterior motives upon bringing you here. I offer you all that I have, my protection, my home and my name. I offer to be a father for your children, a friend for yourself, and faithful. I offer to save your family from their imprisonment."

She looked at me through her teary eyes, not uttering a word. I knew I had thrown so much information at her at such a late hour of the night. Wiping her eyes with the back of her hands, she looked away from me and to her baby.

"I don't want Edith to suffer how I've suffered. I can't let them set foot on American soil." She looked back at me, licking her lips shyly. "I accept, Mr. Daniel, your promise. I trust you." I pressed a kiss to her forehead before moving to stand.

"I'll let you get some rest, Olivia." I murmured before leaving the room. Uncle and Aaron were waiting in the study, along with Fanny. Annie and Sarah must have taken young Matthew to bed, giving Olivia time to acquaint herself with Miss Edith. My Uncle was rearranging his bag as Aaron and Fanny shared a drink together.

"How is Mother doing?" Uncle asked, glancing up at me.

"Olivia will be alright, but we have somethings to discuss." I muttered, throwing myself behind my desk.

"Such as what? The children or something else?" Uncle pondered.

"The children have been settled, they're taking my name." I dismissed. "Is Uncle Caiden still in Wembley? Or have he and Aunt Maggie relocated back to the countryside?"

"I believe he's still in Wembley, but there are perfectly good parsons in London for christenings." Uncle offered. I shook my head as I reached for my stationary. I would need to make a to-do list for the morning.

"Not a christening, a wedding, Uncle. For Olivia and I."

Aaron slammed his glass down on my desk, causing the amber liquid to slosh inside of it. I didn't want to hear what was coming. Glancing at the wall clock, I internally groaned. It was two in the morning, and our neighbors would not be so kind in the next few hours.

"What on Earth has possessed you, Daniel." Aaron seethed. "She is just another pregnant whore who's been left destitute! She's using you!" I pinched the bridge of my nose, trying so desperately to not harm my favorite cousin.

"Fanny, please leave. I am about to say something quite foul." I hissed.

"No, she stays. Fanny is a part of this family, too." Aaron argued.

"Fine," I snarled. "If Olivia is a 'whore,' which we know is untrue, then so is Fanny, by your definition. Did we not take her from a similar situation? Did we not house her, clothe her and feed her? Did we not treat her as family? Did you not fall in love with her? Give me the same courtesy I've given you and Fanny, cousin."

"Think of your Mother—how would she react—"

"She'd be angry, no doubt at the hasty marriage, but after an explanation and meeting, Olivia would be much loved by our family. They would grow to love the children as well. She's not anything more than a tortured woman seeking help for her family. I care for her and I made her a promise to protect her at all costs, and I will." I vowed.

I watched as he paced towards the door, then doubled back to my desk. I knew what he wanted to do—prove me wrong, but he was deciding if that was worth it or not. Whether it was worth our friendship, and more importantly, our familial bond.

"I will not stand by and watch you destroy your life for this woman." He snarled. "She brings bad blood with her and I am afraid she will bring down our family."

My blood boiled under my skin. Perhaps he was right: I didn't know Miss Olivia well. I didn't know who she was, who her family was, or even her intent with her children. All I knew was that she was afraid and I was compelled to protect her. The fact that Aaron was playing judge and jury in this situation made me fear that he also wanted to play executioner.

"Leave, Aaron. Before I do something regrettable." I hissed, rising to my feet. Aaron scoffed, taking Fanny's hand and pulling her from the room. I looked at Uncle, hoping that he would see my dilemma.

"You mother will hang me for this, I swear." He uttered. "When are you going to marry this girl? Abigail and Victor are coming with the children in two weeks. They're on their way from visiting your cousin Aileen. They wanted to see the children and congratulate her on the new baby." I slapped my forehead.

"Bloody hell, I forgot!" I exclaimed. "Can you write to Uncle Caiden and post it immediately? I will talk to Olivia once she's had decent sleep. It'd be too rash to discuss this now." Uncle nodded, clapping his hand over my shoulder.

"Of course, you are my godson after all. I'm bound to make sure that you turn out alright." He jested, pressing a kiss to the top of my head. "Get some rest, Daniel. We'll have much to do in the morning."

*

Olivia stared blankly at me after I explained our predicament. Little Edith was sleeping soundly in her bassinet and Matthew was eating breakfast with Annie and Sarah. I hadn't seen Aaron or Fanny since last night, but that was the last thing on my mind. Olivia was my concern, my only thought most days.

"We must marry now, while I'm still recovering because of your sister?" She repeated. "What does that have to do anything? Is she going to call upon God herself to judge us for living like this?"

"No, she and her husband have very public ties and expect me to join them, and since we are now engaged, you as well. I cannot protect you if you are still Olivia Wilde, only if you are Mrs. Daniel Goddard." I amended, reaching for her hands. Olivia pulled her hands away and turned her cheek. I knew she was furious. She had every right to be so. I was imposing upon her the worst possible solution.

"What do you want from me? From this marriage proposal? I need to know what I am entering for the sake of my children." She trembled. I sighed, putting my head in my hands. I knew she must have been thinking of the worst; of her brother-in-law, of what he did to her.

"I'd never do what he's done to you. I am offering you protection and safety, that is all. I ask for nothing in return and that is the truth." I reasoned, placing my hands in my lap. "If I am untoward in any way, you have every right to tell me, to ask anything of me to make you comfortable."

She nodded slowly, turning back towards me. Her shoulders slumped forward and her brow knitted together. Before I knew it, she swung her legs out from under the covers and pushed herself onto shaky legs. I stood with her, taking hold of her forearms to steady her.

"I think I need to tell you more about my life, if we're to be married, Mr. Daniel." She murmured.

*

*

*

*

*

Hello Lovelies!

Recently Radish has updated how they publish stories on their site, and for a lot of us, that meant that it revamped how many of them were published. So, both the Real Life series The Debt series are being re-released on Radish 1 week at a time until the last chapter has been published. So what does this mean? It means that the entirety of the Debt series will not be unlocked (meaning you have to pay for it) until March of 2021. It think the Real Life series will be fully unlocked in April of 2021.

This chapter will be available in full by May 2021. 

Lots of Love,

DoctorWho

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

57.1K 2.1K 98
Meet Sarah, 20 years, a sweet and tender-hearted young girl, who, despite facing the harshness of life, always puts others' needs before her own. Her...
477K 22.2K 13
( COMPLETED STORY) What happens when the rakish Lord in the whole of London is truly falling in love with a simple, plain, and most ordinary girl, so...
99.5K 4.1K 15
He saved her from drowning... Who will save her from him... Matthew Weldrick must marry and produce an heir. Giving up being a rake will be...
202K 8K 39
"Well then, there must be a reason why you aren't able to keep your eyes off me in the market today, Miss Wellesley." He whispered in my ear, sending...