Never Give Up

By AlwaysDramione

[SECOND INSTALMENT] This story continues on from 'I'll Fight For You - Fremione'. Amelia George Weasley, the... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Sequel!

Chapter Three

6K 185 99
By AlwaysDramione

‘I can just leave?’ asked Hermione as though she was unsure whether the Healer was lying or not.

Hermione was standing by her hospital bed with two of her suitcases that she had packed at Fred’s apartment. Machines beeped stably around her and the window was open, letting in fresh air that Hermione couldn’t wait to taste. She was aware that Harry was waiting for her outside even though she had told him not to but he had insisted. Her stomach felt heavier than usual but she could walk, thankfully. Hermione eyed the Healer curiously as she nervously twisted her fingers. She was more nervous to get out of the hospital after spending a three days cooped up in here. The Healer was a well built man with hair that was showing a little grey, reflecting his age. He had a long nose and smelled strongly of coffee and a little hospital smell which seemed to have dissolved into his clothes from all those years in his field of work.

‘Yes, you can leave but I have to urge you to take it easy. Don’t lift heavy things, don’t take any stress and drink lots of water. Water is best for the baby right now and of course a healthy diet,’ the Healer encouraged her, checking her as though he was checking things off a list. He closed the file and placed it on the hospital bed. Hermione was sure he was going to let her leave now but he stopped and turned to her, lips pursed together as he studied her, ‘Hermione Granger. I hope I never have to treat you for any fatal wound after everything you have been through. I remember reading your name in the Daily Prophet and  I just know how lucky this child is going to be, having such a brave mother. I kept wishing you and Harry Potter and Ron Weasley would just defeat... he-who-must-not-be-named and when you did, you should have seen the parties that went on in the early hours of the day. Truly incredible.’

 ‘I get that a lot,’ Hermione nodded at him and the Healer raised his eyebrows as if to say I-bet-you-do. This was another thing that Hermione was worried about. Her child would have to grow up with a famous mother, speculations, accusing glares when they found out who the father was and why Hermione split up with him. She didn't want that for her child but was she worrying about something that wouldn’t happen? She hoped so.

‘I hope the next time you’re here is when you’re delivering that baby,’ he said with a meaningful look. He truly cared for her and that little fact warmed Hermione’s heart as she nodded at him and thanked him for everything he had helped her with. Without him she would have lost her baby, she was sure. The Healer nodded and muttered, ‘take it easy.’

‘I will,’ Hermione gave him a small smile.

The air in the hospital seemed to be leaning on her, bringing her down as a figure of speech goes. She wanted to get out of here before she started to hyperventilate and that couldn't be good for either her or the baby. Thoughts rushed about her head as she went to the door. Where was she going to live? She couldn't live with Harry since he was about to get married and Ginny probably hated her because of what happened with Fred. Ginny hadn’t visited her in hospital and Harry had assured her that was because she was pregnant and was organising the wedding but a little glint in his eyes proved otherwise. Hermione left the room and looked around at the waiting area outside. Chairs were glued to the walls and little tables held newspapers, magazines and toys for kids to play with as they waited. People were waiting anxiously, some biting their nails and others looking extremely worried. Hermione looked around for Harry.

‘Hermione!’ a voice called out to her. The voice was very familiar but it was not Harry’s and she knew that for sure. Before Hermione could even blink or take a breath, arms were wrapping themselves around her and the hugger was sighing with relief and talking with a relived and happy tone, ‘when Ginny told me you were in the hospital... I... I couldn’t begin to imagine... but you’re okay! Bloody hell, I-’

‘Ronald,’ Hermione whispered as her brain finally clicked into gear and she realised that it was Ron. The familiar voice, the breath on her neck as he hugged her and the way he was talking made Hermione burst into tears as nostalgia and absence of Ron rushed back to her in waves.

She hugged Ron back and dug her face into his shoulder, tears spilled out and her voice was muffled so she didn't try to talk and just hugged him with all her might. Never had she been this happy to see one of her best friends even if they had been through a lot and that had damaged their relationship, Hermione was glad to be hugged by Ron. This moment reminded her astonishingly of how she would always be the first to hug either Harry and Ron and now they were the first ones to hug her. She was lucky and she knew it.

‘Hermione,’ Ron pulled back and took her face in his hands. His hands were so soft and she found herself leaning into him slightly. He slowly wiped away her tears and she saw into his eyes, the very blue eyes that reminded her of his brother but she hurried that thought away. Relief, worry and love glowed in those blue irises and Hermione was aware that Harry was watching them with surprising and adept concentration. She turned to him and hugged him too, glad to have familiar and safe arms around her. Harry stroked her hair and she heard him give out a shaky breath.

‘Do you want lunch?’ asked Ron when Hermione pulled away from Harry. She turned around and looked Ron up and down. He had a little stubble on his chin but she didn't mind that, it added to his look. He wore plain muggle clothes and trainers with a leather jacket on top, ‘we can go to that cafe down the street.’

‘I could eat. I’m starved. Come on, Harry,’ Hermione grabbed his arm when Harry opened his mouth to decline the offer. He walked behind Hermione, biting his lips as he did so.

They walked out of the hospital and breathing in that fresh air made Hermione grin. The birds were even chirping somewhere in the depths of the world. She linked arms with Harry and they walked down the street with Ron a little ahead of them, the sun shining solidly o the pathway as though clearing it for them. Hermione turned slightly to Harry to see that he was looking ahead of him but wasn’t really paying attention to her or their surroundings. He was in his own thoughts and Hermione left him there. They arrived at a small cafe in a moderately busy street, with the occasional car going past, and got a table as Ron ordered them something to eat. Hermione swiftly turned to Harry to see that vacant expression once again, she was curious but didn't really know how to begin. It was like taking off a bandage, do it quickly and it’ll hurt less.

‘Harry, I have to know, did you talk to...’

‘Fred?’ asked Harry with a sudden sharpness. He shot her a look and narrowed his eyes as though judging her. Hermione sighed and looked at her hands in her lap, feeling helpless for her own feelings, ‘I did and he knows you are at the hospital but he said he wants to stay away from you because... your relationship with him is over. Hermione, you need to-’

‘Harry, don’t tell me what I need to do!’ Hermione muttered to him angrily, raising her eyes to stare at his. They stared at each other for a while and Harry raised his eyebrows at her but Hermione refused to feel bad for her actions. He was making it seem like she could actually help what she felt towards Fred. She loved him, cared for him.. but Fred doesn’t love her, he doesn’t care for her. Ron set a coffee and muffin in front of Hermione and she looked up, ‘thank you, Ron. I’m starving.’

Hermione turned down to her muffin and started to unwrap it as thoughts coursed through her head. While she wasn’t looking, Ron cleared his throat and tried to capture Harry’s attention, it worked as Harry looked up at him. For a second, a queer expression came over Harry’s face as Ron raised his eyebrows in a meaningful way. They seemed to have communicated without speaking as Harry suddenly got to his feet as though he was on fire and Hermione looked up at him in shock.

‘I have to leave,’ Harry stated, sighing. As an after thought, he patted Hermione’s shoulder and then left the cafe in a swift motion. The bell sounded quietly in the small cafe as the door opened, Harry left and then the door swung shut. Hermione turned to Ron and was about to ask him why Harry left like that but she was side tracked as Ron was staring at her.

‘Hermione,’ Ron started, he looked down at his hands and then sighed before looking back up at the curly haired book worm, ‘you don’t know how happy I am to see you here. Eating and healthy and... alive. I swear if something happened to you... I...’

‘Ronald, I’m happy to see you and I’m happy that you’re here. You disappeared and I felt... awful, just awful... I just,’ Hermione took a deep breath and tried to cool her mind and her lungs at the same time. Images and memories were flashing past in her brain as though forcing her to apologise. The fight with Fred when Ron found out that she was pregnant was the worst and the most vivid. She shook her head and then  Hermione grabbed his hand which was lying on the table. Ron looked at their hands for a second, a weird expression crossed his face but that was wiped clean, and then he stared into her eyes, ‘I’m sorry for cheating on you. I know this doesn’t help because it’s unforgivable but I’m sorry, Ron, I need you and you’re here and this shows just how great of a friend you are.’

‘I think you being in the hospital is a little more important than you cheating on me, Hermione. I wish... you would have just told me,’ Ron sighed and then his eyes dropped to her stomach and Hermione felt a little self conscious as he took his hand away from hers. She suddenly felt cold as Ron’s face twisted into an expression of annoyance, ‘he ruined your life and left you.’

‘Ron, I don’t want to talk about him,’ Hermione whispered, feeling that awful, rough clench of her heart whenever she did think about Fred, ‘I think... I think we’re over now. Everything that happened... was a mistake and I’ve been so stupid to think he actually... cared for me.

‘Eat your muffin,’ Ron pointed out after a little pause. Hermione slowly began to pick at her muffin and then realised just how hungry she was. They didn't talk again until only the wrapper was left. Ron turned to her and she glanced at him, ‘where are you going to live?’

‘I... I think I’ll stay at the Leaky Cauldron. It’s cheap and I know the people there and...’ Hermione trailed off as Ron gave her a flat look. She sipped at her coffee, hoping he would look away but he kept on staring at her. Hermione sighed indignantly, ‘stop looking at me like that, Ronald.’

‘You’re not living in some foul inn when you have me. Fred might be blind enough to notice that you need help but I’m not. You’re coming to live with me in my Diagon Alley house. I have a spare bedroom,’ Ron added hurriedly and Hermione looked a little doubtful. She didn't want to start talk again and she also didn't want the Weasley’s getting the wrong idea. However, she needed somewhere to stay and in a house would be better for the baby rather than a noisy and uncomfortable inn.

Hermione sighed and looked at Ron who had raised his eyebrows at her in a questioning way. Then she answered, ‘I’ll live with you, Ron. Only until it is necessary.’

‘Great, let’s go then,’ Ron stood up and helped her to her feet.

---

*Fred’s POV*

‘Get up, Fred Weasley! We are going shopping before your permanently glued to that bed,’ Ginny shouted as she waved her wand and Fred fell with an dull thud against the wooden floor, ‘I have had enough of this sulking around.’

‘Ginny, I don’t want to do anything,’ Fred grumbled angrily as he scrabbled up off the floor. He got to his feet and stared his little sister down. She may be little but the demanding look in her eyes made it clear that she was winning this fight either the hard way or the easy, ‘shopping? For what? I hate shopping.’

‘For my wedding,’ Ginny sighed and then she grabbed her brothers arm and looked up at him with a small pout, ‘you have to come.’

‘Of course I’m coming, Ginny,’ Fred whispered, ‘I just... I have suits that I can wear so I really don’t need to go shopping.’

‘Well, buy me lunch then,’ Ginny shrugged and pushed him towards the bathroom as Fred shook his head, ‘go shave, get dressed and meet me downstairs in ten minutes. You better be down there or else.’

Ginny left her sentence wavering in the air as she left the room, closing the door behind her with a bang and letting silence fill the room. Had it ever been this silent in the Burrow? He didn't think so since usually there was some sort of event going on, whether that was annoying Percy, Mrs Weasley shouting or Fred and George making products in their room. Fred sighed and closed his eyes. Thinking about George made him want to crawl into bed again even if it had been six months since his death... Fred went to the bathroom and was shocked to see that he had grown a beard, a small one, when he looked in the mirror. His eyes ran over both of his ears and then he sighed, shook his head, and turned around.

He could not keep doing this to himself.

Fred turned around but didn't look into the mirror. He shaved his beard off and then glanced in the mirror for a coupled of seconds to make sure he hadn’t missed anywhere. Then he climbed into the shower and avoided thinking about anything other than the water cascading down his body. Fred quickly had a shower and then dried himself off. He wore a red and black button up shirt and black jeans. He found his black sneakers and tied the laces before descending down the stairs. Voices could be heard from the living room and at first Fred thought it was Ginny and his parents but then he heard a masculine voice. He walked into the living room and they fell silent.

‘Ron,’ Fred muttered, his eyes roamed the room for her face. She wasn’t with him. Ron Weasley nodded to his brother and the awkwardness in the room was definite and bold. Fred looked at his mother and saw that she was staring at him. He could read her face, her begs to not start fighting in front of her. Fred turned to Ginny, ‘ready to go?’

‘I need to talk to you,’ Ron cut in, holding up his hand as though he wanted to grab something. He slowly let his arm down and Fred raised his eyebrows, ‘can we talk... outside?’

Fred simply shrugged at him and turned around. Ron followed him to the kitchen and out the back door. The sun was hidden behind the thick drifting clouds but it wasn’t cold at all. It was quite pleasant and Fred breathed in the fresh air since he hadn’t been outside in four days. He barely ate either and that worried his mother. Fred stopped and turned to face Ron whose eyes had never left his back.

‘Make it quick,’ Fred mumbled, crossing his arms over his chest. He could see Ron’s eyes flashing when Fred looked away from him almost as though he looked... bored.

‘I just wanted to drop by to tell you that... Hermione?’ Ron emphasised the name and searched clearly for any sign on Fred’s face to indicate anything. Fred was looking far away into the distance at a tree, he hoped his face was showing no emotion but his insides were squirmed uncomfortably and his head was shouting, Hermione? Hermione what?! Ron carried on, ‘she didn't have anywhere to live so... she’s living with me.’

‘Come to rub it in my face, have you?’ Fred spat out, still staring at that tree in the distance. He was feeling a furious sort of frenzy descend upon him. Hermione was living with Ron, was she? She couldn't wait a couple of months before starting a new relationship?

‘You’ve lost her because you were stupid,’ Ron muttered. Fred’s heart felt like it was being stabbed, not because he was angry but because he knew Ron was telling the truth. He had lost her. Ron walked forwards a few steps until he was right in front of his brother and Fred’s eyes stared at the ground, the dirt beneath his feet, ‘she hates you. She stayed at my house last night and she was actually happy. She doesn’t want to talk about you but she’s pretty much in terms that your relationship with her is over. I just want to... to thank you for giving me the opportunity to, uh... well, last night was great.’

A million responses shot through Fred’s head and most of them featured swearing, hitting and possibly taking out his wand. Jealousy had never burned so strongly through Fred in his entire life and he hated how he felt like he could utter the words ‘Avada Kedavra’ with such ease. His eyes followed an ant across the ground after Ron spoke and they both waited for him to throw the first punch. Fred was shaking on the inside, jealousy and hatred made his limbs stiffen up but he controlled it. Later that night, he would never realise just how much control that had taken. His brother was pure evil and a part of him knew that he was provoking him, that Hermione didn't sleep with him... did she? Fred shoved his hands in his pockets and made them into fists before looking back at Ron, who was grinning like it was Christmas and Santa had bought him a truckload of gold, and Fred dragged up a smile on his face that felt like he was dying inside. He smiled at his little brother.

‘I have to go now. Ginny’s waiting,’ Fred tried to walk past him but Ron grabbed his arm. He turned to face his brother, his control ebbing off slightly but Ron was now desperate to provoke his brother even more.

‘Come on, you must have something to say about all this. You left her and she rebounded so quickly back to me. Doesn’t it make your blood boil when you think about her... in bed with another man?’ Ron muttered and Fred shook his arm off and turned away from him. Ron grabbed his arm and turned him back to face him, ‘she was in the hospital because of you and you don’t seem to care about her at all! She nearly lost her child and you just let her-’

‘I don’t need to explain myself to you, little brother,’ Fred spat, shoving him away from him, ‘I can’t change what happened and if she’s happy with you then... I... I can’t control what she does.’

Fred turned on his heel and walked into the house. Anger was reaching the surface and if he hadn’t left Ron then, he knew he would just tip and anger would come spilling out. A hand caught Fred’s shirt and he thought for a moment that it was his brother but then he recognised Ginny. His mother was standing at the door, looking at him anxiously.

‘Shall we go, Fred?’ asked Ginny in a small voice. Fred shook his head, his anger was threatening to spill out and he didn’t want to shout at his sister, she hadn’t done anything wrong, ‘come on. We can get something to eat.’

‘Ginny, I can’t, okay? I just... I need to... leave,’ Fred grabbed his jacket from the hook and muttered the last word before he disapparated without another sound.

Ginny’s heart deflated rapidly, she had wanted to cheer Fred up and now Ron had ruined everything. Mrs Weasley felt the same way and they both looked over as Ron entered the kitchen. Nobody said anything as Ron walked past them both and then disapparated after grabbing his cloak.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

142K 3.3K 36
[COMPLETED] What happens when Draco Malfoy falls in love with Luna Lovegood, but her heart wants to be stolen by someone else?
74.8K 1.4K 23
'𝒕𝒉𝒆 π’ˆπ’Šπ’“π’ π’˜π’‰π’ π’…π’Šπ’…π’'𝒕 π’‡π’Šπ’• π’Šπ’.' --- Elaine Weasley, the twin sister of Ginny Weasley and in Slytherin house. Join her on her journ...
236K 5.1K 48
Rose Weasley, the daughter of Molly and Arthur Weasley and the twin sister of Ginny Weasley. What happens when she goes to Hogwarts, will she get in...
29.5K 550 37
- Draco Malfoy and Fred Weasley love triangle. -oc fanfic ... Draco Malfoy, Mr. Daddy's Money, has always acted like he hated her. What happens...