The Nymph of Versailles

By KateValent

A 2019 Watty Winner. For fans of Allison Pataki and Philippa Gregory, THE NYMPH OF VERSAILLES is based on the... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Author's Note

Chapter 34

935 74 5
By KateValent

"She looks like death itself," Gabrielle whispered. They stood in the hallway, waiting for the king to make his way to Mass. Fontanges stood down the hallway, waiting for the same thing. Her pale complexion, jutting cheekbones, and sunken eyes reminded Athénaïs a bit of a scarecrow. Her smile couldn't bring back her beautiful looks.

"Having a stillborn child took its toll."

The door to the king's rooms opened and he stepped into the hallway, taking up his brisk pace. Athénaïs fell in behind him as did the courtiers rushing to get a word in with the king who said little else other than "I'll consider it." Fontanges fell in behind him as well, but couldn't keep up the pace. When she stopped to rest, the king didn't wait for her. Athénaïs cheered silently at the small victory. With her beauty fading, so did Fontanges's favor. Athénaïs sped up to reach the king's side and he gave her a nod in greeting.

Athénaïs joined the king in the royal tribune, taking her usual spot. She and the queen exchanged glances of acknowledgment and nothing else. When Fontanges appeared several minutes later, the king didn't turn to greet her. Athénaïs made a point of ignoring her as well, keeping her gaze on the priest despite how badly she wanted to sneak glances at the recent favorite. She'd heard the birth hadn't gone well, but to see the effects having ravaged her almost made her pity the girl. Without her beauty, she had nothing left with no clever wit to make up for the loss.

She didn't get to celebrate her victory for long. As soon as Mass was over the king said goodbye to both of them and headed off to hunt. Fontanges hurried after him and soon fell behind when she stumbled over her own feet and caught herself by stumbling sideways to hit the wall instead of the floor.

"Sire!" She called out to the king's retreating back as courtiers watched on in morbid fascination. Athénaïs froze to watch along with them. The king didn't acknowledge the cry. As soon as his back disappeared out of sight, Fontanges folded in on herself. Her shoulders trembled as she turned to rest her forehead against the wall. She wrapped around herself and stood in silence except for the few sniffles that escaped her.

Athénaïs didn't reach for her. If there was any comfort to be had for the girl it wouldn't be from her. Anything she said would only be seen as the words of a rival longing to vanquish the latest favorite. How many times had Athénaïs seen simple Louise cry in the same fashion after being rebuked by the king? The king was a heartbreaker and he'd broken more hearts than he had any right to. Best Fontanges learned it sooner rather than later so she could leave court with her dignity intact. Unfortunately for Fontanges, no one stepped forward to comfort her, a sure sign of her star plummeting. Courtiers stared and whispered behind fans. Women covered their mouths in shock. They didn't stop to stare for long. They all got swept up in the tide of the king's path, but that didn't stop several of them from glancing back at the crying girl.

"I guess Madame Montespan must have placed a spell on her to get rid of her beauty. Who knew La Voisin was so good?" A woman whispered behind her fan to her friend as they passed by Fontanges.

Athénaïs stopped in her tracks, letting the current of courtiers pass by. She knew there was bound to be whispers about her with the investigation still looming over the court, but to actually hear them made her want to vomit in fear. How long before the whispers reached the king? And with Maintenon still hogging his ear, would he believe them?

Poor little pitiful Fontanges would have to learn to pick up her pieces soon. Anything she could salvage would be all she had left without the king's love. And what would Athénaïs have left once her own time came for good? That is, if her time didn't end by losing her head on the scaffold.

She turned and headed for the quiet privacy of her apartments. Behind her Fontanges's sniffles turned into hiccups and heaving cries. Athénaïs quickened her steps to get away from the noise, all too aware of how soon the pain could become hers again.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

156 0 14
It's 1700 King Louis XIV is King, and homosexuality is illegal. However, that won't stop Darcy and Vivianne, or will it? The story of two girls figh...
388 25 11
When a man who lives in poverty tries to rob a young king of his wealth, he is caught. Unexpectedly, the lonely king takes him in as his bodyguard an...
590K 34.3K 36
{WATTYS 2020 WINNER} {FEATURED BOOK} Paris, 1663. 500 girls selected by King Louis XIV embark on a journey across the seas from their homeland. Each...