Lavender Monarch has Exactly...

By angelikagrae

Lavender Monarch has exactly thirteen fears. She knows this because she has them written down on a list she c... More

trailer
01. lovesick porridge
02. kumquats and bug nets
03. drunk astronauts
june, I
04. weird curiosity
05. half-finished cans of cherry cola
06. glow in the dark stars
june, II
07. infinity between us
08. indigo
09. burn baby burn
june, III
10. painting for the queen
11. if basset hounds could make wishes
june, IV
13. china doll
14. mermaids and microwaves
15. brush your teeth
june, V
16. tropical beetles and marmelade
17. butterfly house
18. ladybug
june, VI
19. letters to strangers
20. scrapbooker
21. mint julep
june, VII
22. neon
23. a cat or two
24. salty
june, VIII
25. sand dollars
26. dive
27. maybe by Christmas
june, IX
28. picasso? picasso.
29. you don't get it.
30. snug as a bug in a rug
june, X
june, XI
June, XII
31. pinky promise
32. piggy bank
33. blindfold
34. jack of all fears, master of none
35. i never wanna leave.
36. house of mirrors
37. up, up and away
June XIII
38. i'm doing this for-
end
author's note

12. tsunami

90 26 51
By angelikagrae

Before I know it, I'm waiting side-stage about to go on. My stomach is in knots and I'm terrified. I see Patty walk up beside me.

"You're gonna do great Lavender," he whispers.

"I sure hope so," I say and hold my hands out for a hug. He wraps me up in his arms and I already feel a lot better. I bury my head into his shoulder and let myself forget about my nervousness for a second. He chuckles under his breath and pushes me away.

"Go! It's about to start," he says laughing. I take a deep breath. Here goes nothing.

I hear my cue and I step out onto the stage, almost wincing from the brightness. I turn to face the audience. A sea of people stare out at me and my heart is thumping. I fix my eyes on the back wall, trying to pretend they aren't there. It doesn't work.

"I.." my voice comes out in a hoarse whisper. The silence drags out and I'm just waiting for the sniggers to start. Line. What's my line? I feel my head pounding. I glance rapidly to the front of the stage. It's written there in bold writing. 'My husband, so treacherous. Oh, woe to my heart! He shall be stoned for this abandonment!' I open my mouth and close it again. Shit. I can't do this. I bet everyone is laughing at me. They'll probably start chucking things at me like hecklers used to do in the past. 

Ishouldneverhavedonethis. Ishouldneverhavecomehere. My mind turns to a jumbled mess. 

My train of thought slides off the rails. The train driver turns into a giraffe with purple spots and all the carts are varying shades of lime green. In one of the carriages, is a bunch of apples with holes down the middle of them and in another are rainbow lollipops.

I can't grab onto any singular thought, they all just rush part me and the train goes sailing right off a cliff into an ocean of spiders. I blink and snap my eyes forward. I'm still on stage, who knows how long I've been standing here looking into space like an idiot? I glance to my right and I see Patty walk on the stage in his costume. 

He's not in this scene. What is he doing? He walks over beside me and grabs my hand, holding it up in the air. 

"This fair lady has been struck unable to speak because of her husband's treachery! The poor woman, shall he be stoned?" I suddenly realise what he's doing and I silently thank him. He leans down to whisper in my ear, "c' mon you can do this. Just read the line. I believe in you." He drags his hand across my throat. "Or shall this woman be blamed?" he cries and pushes me away dramatically. "I do not know, but perhaps she does?" He winks at me before turning away and striding off the stage. I take a deep breath. 

"No, it is not I who has commited this crime, 'tis my husband. He shall be stoned!" I glance side stage and see Patty beaming, he raises his hands up in a thumbs up and I feel a surge of confidence. I can do this. 

And I do. The more I get into it, the more I relax and soon it is not even me on the stage but instead, the Queen of Tinumau who's husband has betrayed her. It's like the crowd isn't even there. 

The play ends and we walk onto the stage holding hands to take our final bow. Amelia is on my left side and I grin at her. As we bow, they turn the house lights on and I can see my whole family in the crowd clapping and waving at me. I know we're not supposed to, but I can't help but wave back. I even see that June's mum has come to watch and she gives me a thumbs up. I spot June next to her too and he has the most ridiculous grin on his face. 

After I've packed up my stuff I wander down to my family and they all start clapping when I come over. I smile at them. I can't even hide how proud I am of myself. 

"Be quiet! Your embarrassing me," I say. My sister just wraps me up in a hug.

"You were amazing!"

"I didn't know you could act that well," my mother says and I grin at her.

"Thanks for coming. It really means a lot," I say to everyone. They all just smile and everyone insists on hugging me and giving me too many compliments. I must admit, it is kind of nice. Even June's mum gives me a box of chocolates as a celebratory gift. 

I eventually pull myself away with the excuse that I need to collect up some final things from backstage. I won't see my parents until I get home tonight now. They are taking all my stuff back with them and I'm getting a lift with Amelia to the after-party. It's at Patty's house. His parents were kind enough to invite us all over for a couple of hours to celebrate.

When I get back-stage, I see Patty putting the props away in the boxes. It's only us two behind here right now as everyone else is still with their families. His family didn't come, he wouldn't tell me why. 

"Lavender!" he cries wrapping me up in another hug. I throw my arms around his neck. "I'm so proud of you. That was spectacular. The set looked amazing too, I know how much effort you put into that."

"Thank-you. But I wouldn't have even said a single line if you didn't come to my rescue and I never would have finished the set if it wasn't for you staying back late with me."

"Always so humble," he says pulling away from the hug. We don't entirely disentangle though. He has his hands around my waist and my arms are resting on his shoulders. 

"Seriously Patty, I owe it all you. Thank-you. That could have gone incredibly badly."

"I would do it again in a heartbeat." I stare up at him and I feel a surge of love race through me. The way he's looking at me makes me want to melt into a puddle. He's such a great friend. 

"And you look beautiful too," he says. I look down embarrassed but I can't help but smile.

"Patty!"

"What?" His voice has dropped down to a low whisper. "It's true."

I look up at him and it hits me. It would be so easy to kiss him right now. I glance down at his lips and back up to his eyes. Crap, I think he noticed. I feel my knees go weak and my stomach is doing summersaults. He is looking right into my eyes and I don't break his gaze this time.

"Patty," I whisper.

"Yes?" he says and he moves an inch closer, tilting his head. Our lips are almost touching and I can feel the heat of his breath on my face. The anticipation is almost too much. But I can't quite close the gap. 

Germs. So many germs. If I kiss him, so many germs will be transferred. The thoughts makes me feel sick. There are billions of little microbes on his tongue right now and the thought of them touching me. I recoil pulling back. 

"I'm sorry," I say. "I just can't right now." He drops his arms and steps back looking slightly dejected.

"It's okay," he says. "We can take things slow." He's too good for me. That's the second time he's tried to kiss me and I've stopped him.

There is so much tension in the air, I can hardly think. I slip back around to the front and try to calm myself. I sit down in the seats and rest my head on the cold plastic of the chair in front of me. My family has already left and most of the cast is saying their goodbyes and heading backstage now.

I can't stop thinking about what almost just happened. The fact that I almost kissed him, that I wanted to. It means I'm catching feelings. We were supposed to only be friends. I struggle to catch my breath. No, no, no, no. This can't happen. I can't fall for someone. I'm going to throw up. I'm going to die. I feel like I'm blazing as hot as the sun. I'm hurtling through space at a million miles per hour. I'm out of control. 

I push the chairs away and gasp for air. I stumble out of the hall, pushing open the massive doors. I heave into a bush. How did this happen? I can't believe I was so naive. I need to delete him from my contacts. I can never talk to him again. It's too dangerous. 

There's nothing left to throw up but I keep dry heaving into the bush anyways. Hot tears spill down my cheeks and I sink onto my knees. What's wrong with me? The pavement in cold on the palms of my hands as I kneel there spluttering as I try to breathe. 

How could he do this to me? Why did he do it? He must've known all along that he was manipulating me. That I'd fall for him and now that I have, he'll leave me and never come back. He'll break my heart and leave me to drown in my lovesick porridge. 

I wipe my nose on my sleeve and stumble up. I need to get to the bathroom where no-one can see me looking like this. I duck around the corner into the hall, covering my face. If Patty or someone saw me right now, there's no doubt they will follow me in and I can't have that happening. 

I feel someone grab my wrist and I shake them off not caring who it is. I need everyone to leave me alone. 

"Lavender?" I whip my head around. It's June. What is he still doing here? I push past him into the bathroom and lean on the sink. I glance up at my reflection in the mirror and see my pale steer stained cheeks and my sullen expression. Mirror. 

I instantly jerk away and a new wave of panic washes over me. I can't escape it now. I really am going to die. I looked in a mirror. I feel someone come over and wrap me in their arms. 

"You can't be in here," I whisper in between the sobs that wrack my body. 

"Do you think I care about the rules when my best friend is having a mental break down?" He strokes my hair gently and I lean into him. Mental break down? That's not what this is. 

I don't want to die. The thought comes in a flash. It only makes me cry more. Why was I so reckless? I feel a tsunami of panic wash over me and I gasp for air. 

I'm drowning in the waves. The white foam washes over me and I sink below. I struggle to swim upwards but every time I get above and try to take a breath of air my lungs are filled with the salty liquid instead. I cough and struggle but I can feel my body going limp. I grab my necklace in a last ditch effort to calm myself. 

"Shhh, it's okay." I can faintly hear someone speaking to me. Nothing is okay. "We're going to get you some help." Help? It's too late for that. I'm already dead. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

576K 14.5K 41
(I WROTE THIS AT 14 YEARS OLD, IT'S BEEN TWO YEARS SO DON'T ATTACK ME Y'ALL FOR HOW BAD IT IS IDEK WHY IT HAS READS BUT LMFAO) "Because Heaven," he s...
416 59 12
Camilla is given a new life... a life away from her past...she believes. Despite her odds, this time, she manages to conceal it. But until when?.... ...
Ocean Eyes By Em

Non-Fiction

661 36 31
This book is based off of a true story. It is a collection of memories of all of the people that I have ever fallen in love with. It will include tho...
12.4K 1.4K 40
Have you ever encountered mad love? No, not the kind with butterflies in your belly and a sweet thrill, or even the relationship between two loving h...