My Better Half.. by Swati.C (...

By Swati_C

A "contract marriage" binds two strangers, who learn each-others secrets. Both grew feelings for each other... More

"Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures."
Marriage:A Sham
You set my world on fire!
.....Then I hope I never wake up.
Waiting for you
Till the Moment last...
You complete me... (bonus chapter)

Undeniable connection...

156 11 1
By Swati_C

Next morning...

"Camilla, today I am taking off, would like to go with Me, to the clinic for my checkup," I said.
"Of course, I want to see my niece/nephew," Cami said.

______

"Ms. Rose...just lay here." Nurse said.
Doc entered. "Thank you...I will take it from here." Doc said to the nurse.
The doctor rubbed some cream on the belly and moved the machine.
"Do-..oh..they are twins," Doc said.
"What?" I said as I peaked to see.

"Oh my god..yes they are," I said to myself as a tear ran down my cheek in happiness.
Cami hugged me comfortably, wiping my tears.

"Congratulations...Babies are looking healthy, Ms. Rose." Doc said.
"Thank you."
"Can we get photos or video of this ultrasound," Cami asked.

"Of course, but we are really busy these days. It will take 3-6 business days." Doc replied.

"Thank you, Doc. I will stop by Friday?." I said.

"Sure, anything you would like to ask me, Ms. Rose?" Doc asked.
"No, thank you," I replied.
"Alright, have a nice day," Doc said as we left.

Cami and I went cafeteria near my apartment.

"Are you sure, Beatrice you don't want to tell Nathaniel about your children?"

"No..I don't know...if I will tell him..then..I don't even know how he will react that-

"That you hide your pregnancy...for freaking almost 5 months and now you also know that you are pregnant with twins!" Camilla said cutting me off as she already knew what I was going say.
She wasn't wrong though.
I did think about it.

"You know what..even though you can't tell him...at least let me be with you. Let's go back to our home where we both lived most of our life...where it all started. Alberta is not your home...you started from scratch here...but in Vancouver, you have your own house..you have me and your mom. She wants you to be happy. Give her a chance to see her grandchildren born and grow. It's not good for you to stay here alone. We love you, Beatrice.
Nathaniel...was the one who causes you pain, Not us!" Camilla said emotionally.

She wasn't wrong though. She has always been there with me, whenever I needed her...

"I love you too Cami, and you are right... I will come with you." I said hugging her.

I started wrapping my life from Alberta and packed my things which I have to take with me.

On Friday I went to the clinic to pick up the ultrasound photos of my twin babies.

"Excuse me, I am here to pick up the ultrasound photos," I asked a receptionist.

"Please go to the first room on your left." She replied pointing in the direction.

As I walked in, I swung open the door.
"Nathaniel?" I whispered to myself and stepped back.
He noticed me and stood up from the chair which he was sitting. I closed the door quickly.

"Sorry, Ms...there may have been some mistakes...I forgot to mention the second room on left, not first." The receptionist said correcting herself.
"That's okay I will stop by tomorrow...I have something urgent right now." I said as I hurried to my car.

I stopped for a sec as I heard some footsteps approaching me. I hid against the wall.

"Not now, Sam!... I am middle of something..."Nathaniel said talking on his phone.
"What!?!..ok I coming.!" He said walking through the exit.

After he left I took a deep breath went inside again. Even though I said, " I'll come tomorrow." Partially because I saw him today here, he can be here tomorrow as well. And partially I wasn't ready to tell him..at least not like this.

After picking what I came for, I drove home.

"Cami...I saw him..today at the clinic." I said anxiously.
"What that's not possible? " Cami said in surprised.
"But I saw him.." I said.

"Did he see you?" Camilla asked.
"Yes/No" I replied reluctantly.
"So it's mean "yes"..." Camilla said.
I nodded "yup."
"Good thing we are going home tomorrow evening," Camilla said.

My thoughts wandered what he was doing here? Did this whole time he knew where I was? Or it's just a coincidence?
________________________________

Camilla and I flew back to Vancouver ..we both reached to my house which was situated in a small town. Camilla stayed at home for the dinner and left after a while to her house, which was only 10 mins drive from my house.

My mom and I talked until we both were sleepy.

Time was passing by I didn't hear anything about Nathaniel.., not even on news. Mom and Camilla were always around me taking care of me when was home and Shane was with me.

"Today is my last day at work before I take maternity leave," I said to mom as I was leaving for work.
"Okay dear, I have to call Cami she will be here tomorrow with you to stay for a week, as I am leaving today visit your aunt." Mom said.
"Okay mom, take care. Bye." I said.

—————

I sat in my office, there half an hr until there was a knock on the door.

"Come in, please," I said as I shuffle the files on my table.

"Beatrice?"
"Nath- I mean Mr. Kingsley...how can I help?" I said. I tried to be as professional...as can. I can't drag my personal life everywhere I go.
He glanced at me until it stopped at my belly.

(Oh no! Now he knows..!")
"I am here...to talk to you," Nathaniel said sifting his eyes from my belly to my eyes.
"What about?" I asked sitting on my chair.
"About..our baby," Nathaniel said calmly.
"Our baby?!...more like my and only mine baby!" I said possessively.

"It's my baby too...Beatrice." He said, walking towards me close enough.

"No..it's not..the day you signed that divorce..all ties were broken....this baby is growing inside me...I am the mother!."

"....And I am the father.," he said softly whispering, placing his palms over my cheeks.

Tears were building up in my eyes, I tried my best to hide my emotions. After so many months...all he came for his baby..who is not even born, yet. But not for me.

"Mr. Kingsley...please leave!"
"I am not going anywhere...Beatrice..I-

"Beatrice...we are getting late for lunch?" Shane said as he entered the room.

"Nathaniel?..what are you doing here?" Shane asked.
Nathaniel's eyes frowned as he noticed Shane and took a step back from me. And Shane wasn't also happy to see Nathaniel. I knew where this was going.

"Nathaniel..would you please leave...like right NOW!" I said demandingly.

"Okay...I will...but this is not over here...Cherie." Nathaniel said.

Shane stayed silent until Nathaniel left.

"Why he was here?" Shane asked.
"I have no idea," I replied vaguely.
"Ok..anyway are you still up for lunch?" Shane asked.
"No, I am sorry..." I said.
" Okay, no problem.. I understand. ." Shane replied.

As I drove home, I thought about Nathaniel's arrival at my office, today. I need to talk to him.

Cami called me twice today making sure , that I am okay. It was 8:09 pm, the doorbell rang,I was sitting on the sofa. I stood up and walked towards the door to open it.

As I opened the door, A tall figure was standing in the darkness. I turned on the porch lights.

"Nathaniel? Are you following me?" I asked.
"Don't flatter yourself...Beatrice" he replied with a smirk.

"What are you doing here?" I asked in a fierce tone.

"I am here-..but before I tell you...wouldn't invite me inside?" He said squinting his eyes.

I nodded and let him come inside. He roamed around the house a little and then settle down on the sofa, comfortably.
I stood near the sofa, crossing my hands, And observing him.

"So?" I frowned.

"I have an offer for you Beatrice-

"Let me stop you there if you here for taking my babies away. then you can make your exit Now!" I said stopping him before he could speak further.

"Babies?...you mean twins" A warmed smile formed on his lips but quickly disappeared.

I stared at him...for at least two seconds until he
Spoke again.

"Look...Beatrice...I know we are divorced..but I have an offer for you.." he said.
I opened my mouth to say something but I stopped.
"Listen to me first...I am not here to snatch our children from you, but I am their father.
I want you to move in with me..until our babies are born.." Nathaniel said.

"I...can't..we-

"Not like married couples...of course, but I want to make sure that babies are fine." He cut me off before I could finish saying.

I felt little guilty for keeping him away from this news and not getting him involved.
But I don't want to live him..under one roof...

"I can't live with you...Nathaniel." I said Crossing my arms over my chest.

"I knew you will say that...so I brought this agreement paper that you signed." He said taking out some papers from his coat's pocket.
I snatched the papers from his hand and started to read.

"When did I signed this?! I don't remember signing these?!" I said shuffling through papers.
The agreement was about, "if I, Beatrice Grace Rose signed this divorce papers..and after signing them if I get pregnant then I have to do whatever Nathaniel Kingsley will say. Because I can use my pregnancy for claiming all Kingsley properties and business."

"Are you serious Nathaniel? I will never do that!" I said throwing papers on his face in rage.

"I am!..now stop arguing and start packing.i will send my driver in the morning. Be ready, at sharp 9:00 am!" Nathaniel said making his way out.

I stood near the door, leaning, and watched him driveway in darkness.

Now I was alone with my thoughts. I will not go with him even if it means I have flown away to a different country. (I hope not!)

The next morning...
*Doorbell rings*
I opened the door. "Ms. Rose, Mr. Kingsley is waiting for you in the car. Please, let's go." Driver said.

"I am not going anywhere. You can tell your boss." I said slamming the door, close.
As I was locking the door. A hand stopped the door from closing in the middle.

"I think...Cherie, you didn't read the agreement carefully." Nathaniel said holding the door.

"If you don't obey..you will owe me 10 million dollars..and I will get the kids custody too without fighting for it!."  He said moving towards me.

"What?! Are you crazy?! You tricked me..to signed this! I can't believe this...I should have known this! You never loved me...only used me! You are nothing but a stupid selfish, and self-absorbed jerk!!!!" I said in anger.

"What did you say? I never loved you and I tricked ...oh please..you should have read all the papers before you signed them! And also Like you did love me! I am not self-absorbed but you are. You hid the truth about your pregnancy...they are my children too!" He raged in mocking tone.

"If you really love our babies, you must come with me, without wasting any time." He said placing one hand in pocket.

I let sigh comes out, and without questioning more...I went to my room and carried my luggage.

"Stop there! Don't carry that I will send my driver to get that luggage." Nathaniel said as he noticed me.

I am too adamant to obey his orders even though he's right. I started to carry it anyway, to get the luggage downstairs carefully step by step. Until he ran towards me took the luggage from my hand. As he carried the luggage with his left hand and held my right hand gently in hand leading me to the car, carefully.

I called Cami and informed her about the situation here. She got really mad about it, she wanted to come to meet him, but I calmed her down. That I will handle everything by myself.

"That's your room, Beatrice," Nathaniel said.
I was relieved that I didn't have to live with him in the same room.

"Please be down in 10 mins, dinner will be served," Nathaniel added.

"I am not hungry, Nathaniel," I said.
"I don't care..but I care about my children, growing inside you. I can't let them be hungry." He said demandingly.

I frowned but there was no point to argue with him. " I will eat in my room," I said.

"No..I want to make sure you eat..in front of me," Nathaniel said.

I gave him a pissed look and left without saying anything.

Later I went downstairs and had dinner with him. I made sure I sat far from him, so he doesn't talk to me. After dinner, I went to my room and changed into something comfortable.

the bed was comfortable and soft I slept the night away, peacefully.

Sunlight invaded my room and bird were chirping outside the window. I put my hair in a loose bun, as I rolled out of the bed.

After freshening up, I made my way to the dining hall. Where Nathaniel was sitting and busy talking to his client on a conference call.

The server was coming with mango juice from the kitchen on the left, towards him. I moved closer and pretending to bump into her, spilling all juice on him.

"Oh, I am so sorry!" I said pretending to bump.

"Watch, where you go?" He said to the server.
"I will call you later, Mr. Moore." He said hanging up the call.
"Beatrice...are you okay?" Nathaniel asked softly, placing his one hand on my belly and others hold me by my waist.
His touch lingered on me. As his eyes made a little eye contact with mine...I felt an undeniable connection between us...

"I..am fine.." I said hesitantly.
The juice was dripping off him and soaking his white shirt.
"Thank God!" He said with relief, under his breath.

"From now you can have your meals in your room. I will make the arrangements." He said.

Since I came here I never have seen the caring side of him before. For a moment, I felt whatever he said to me that was a sham! And he is still in love with me...

"And you!..you are Fired!" He said in anger.
Now I was feeling bad for the server...this was my fault. Shit

"It's okay...Nathaniel..don't fire her." I said pleadingly.

"This is my staff, Beatrice. I make the decision here! She's fired!" He said as he went to his room.

"I am sorry..give me a minute I will talk to him," I said to the server.
She nodded but she didn't look sure of me.
I walked towards his room and barged open the door. He was changing his shirt into something clean. I turned to the opposite direction from him as he noticed me staring at him.

"N-Nathaniel..I-wanted talk about what happened earlier." I rambled on my words.

"It's already over.," he said reluctantly.
"Just give her one more chance," I said.

"..Fine..." he replied after a long pause.
As I turned towards him, I noticed him standing from behind too close to me.

"My mom is coming here to see you, along with my little sister, Natalie." He said.

"Okay....." I replied.
"And also you are having breakfast with me...come with me outside in the garden," Nathaniel said grabbing his watch from the drawer near me.

I followed him in the garden.

"Here take my hand...carefully Amor." He said as I was coming downstairs.

When he called me Amor, it some good-old memories from past flashed in front of my eyes.  I stop for a moment, he looked at me, concerned.

"What happened?" Nathaniel asked.
"Nothing," I replied.

We both walked towards the breakfast table set in the garden. We settle down to the chairs.

"When will Natalie, and mom...I mean Linda  will arrive here?" I asked. 

"They will be here by tomorrow afternoon."

"If you need any help unpacking your stuff please let know the maid," Nathaniel said taking a bite from his plate.
I nodded.

"I know we are not at our best term right now. But at least until our children are born. I want to be us be friends." Nathaniel said.

I was surprised and slightly suspicious, why he said that when he's well aware of our situation right now.
I didn't say anything.

"I know this might be unexpectedly coming from me. But I guess it's for the best." He continued.

I still remained silent as I wasn't sure what to say.
"I am not feeling..well...I think I might vomit." I said struggling to hold on.

Nathaniel stood up from his chair, came to me. He rubbed my back slowly.
I stood up and ran inside, towards the washroom.
Nathaniel was following me. I bend to the sink, as I was struggling to keep my hair up while vomiting, Nathaniel came behind me and gently swiped up, my hair in a ponytail.
"Are you...okay? Should I call the doctor?" Nathaniel asked concernedly.

I washed my face, Nathaniel passed me a towel.
He came closer, tugged my hair strands behind my ears gently.
"I am fine..it's just morning sickness," I said in low voice.

"You should rest." He said, warmly.

"Nathaniel..thank you, but I am okay," I said.

''No, you are not, come on let's take you to the bed,'' Nathaniel took my hand and led me to my room.

My phone rang interrupting him before he could say something.

"I...-excuse me...Nathaniel...I have to take this." I said.

"..Of course."Nathaniel said nodding his head.

I made way to my room, to pick up the call from Shane.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

828K 34.1K 55
The dark gloomy day she died, regretting all she never managed to do, she thought would be her last. She never expected to reincarnate into another p...
505K 16.5K 102
AIDEN JUSTIN ADAMS & DORA JONATHAN Join the journey of two complete strangers slowly falling in love, while each have their own secrets, past and am...
3.5M 133K 70
#Book 1 #3 in humor on 13.5.18 #33 in romance on 03.04.17 Started on : 5th december 2015 Ended on: 14th february 2017 Teresa Scarlet is witty, pretty...
551K 15.2K 43
Meet Dorothy Web. Twenty two years old, and struggling to survive in the big city. Ever since she moved to New York to join a theatre program, making...