The Nymph of Versailles

By KateValent

A 2019 Watty Winner. For fans of Allison Pataki and Philippa Gregory, THE NYMPH OF VERSAILLES is based on the... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Author's Note

Chapter 24

1.1K 92 13
By KateValent

June, 1674

"My application lapsed." She hung her head in her hands. "I was so busy celebrating my victory over Louise to remember to check on it. How can I get a separation from Montespan if I can't even remember to keep it active?" She groaned. Internally, she called herself every cuss word she could think of.

"Renew it. It's as simple as that," Gabrielle said. "Nothing to get worked up about." She dropped a sugar cube into her tea.

"Montespan's in Paris." She wrung her hands. "He's trying to get the inheritance owed to him from his mother and he moved to Paris while the proceedings take place. He's only a short distance away from us."

Gabrielle paused, holding her teacup in her hand, her lips hovering above it. "Are you sure?"

"Yes and the king is off on the war front and can't defend me." The new war was against Spain this time and it'd only taken the king four months to claim the Franche-Comté region for France. Again, Louis went undefeated for the glory of France. "He made Colbert promise to speed up the proceedings to get rid of him. He promised to do what he can to keep my husband away, but how can he when he is so far away?" She stood and began pacing.

Gabrielle sipped on her tea, refusing to catch her sister's flurried panic. "You have guards and I can stay with you. As long as you don't wander from them, he won't be able to touch you."

She threw her hands in the air. "He won't care about the guards and if you're here he'll hurt you too." Remembering the way her husband broke the door down last time made her hands shake. Would he do it again? She hadn't expected him to last time. He always had a way of surprising her with how far he was willing to go. And she was tired of him. Louise was gone. This was her time to bask and enjoy having the king to herself. How dare Montespan come and ruin it.

And this time her children were at the palace. Did he know about them? Would he target them to hurt her? She closed her eyes and imagined their screams as he dragged her daughter down the corridor by her hair. The image made her blood boil.

"Tomorrow I'm going to talk to Colbert. He said the case will be heard by a judge and the king appointed me a counsel. I won't let that animal get to my children. He's stolen enough from me. I'm going all in, but I'm afraid I'll get nervous during questioning."

"Is that why I'm here?" Gabrielle set her tea down and leaned back.

Athénaïs stopped her pacing to collapse into her chair. "Yes. I asked for examples of questions I might be asked and I want to practice my answers."

"Let me see." Gabrielle accepted the paper from her sister and scanned it. When she finished she let out a laugh. "Why bother practicing? Your husband has to prove he wasn't cruel to you. His lawyer has the harder job here when you will have multiple witnesses and the king's support at your back. Do you really think the judge would rule against you?"

"I know but I want to win because I deserve to win, not because the judge fears the king's wrath. I want my husband to face the monster in him."

"You will win no matter what, so quit worrying. Come on, let's go pay your children a visit." She stood and gestured for her sister to join her.

"I don't want to go anywhere until my husband leaves the city."

"We'll take the guards and nothing will happen. Don't let him keep you away from your children."

Athénaïs let out a sigh. Arguing with Gabrielle would be like arguing with a wall. "Fine."

Her worries disappeared when her children greeted her. Her daughter gave her a perfect curtsey. Her dress—bought for her by the king—made her look like a little princess. "Look," her daughter said as she held up her latest needlework. "I've been working on making roses." Delicate red roses looped across the edges of the white handkerchief.

"It looks lovely."

"I want to give it to father."

"She rubbed her daughter's curls affectionately. "I'm sure he'll love it.

Her daughter beamed at the compliment.

"Let me see," Gabrielle said, waving the girl over.

"Your sons are about to begin language lessons," Scarron said. She eyed up the needlework as though assessing every mistake in it. Athénaïs wondered if she always appeared so dissatisfied with everything.

"They can take a break for one day, can't they?"

"No. Keeping a schedule is important. If I give them one day off they'll beg for more." Her face wrinkled, giving her a pinched look.

"We can have impromptu lessons in the garden. It's a beautiful day." As a cloud moved away from the sun, sunlight spilled in through the open window, highlighting her point.

"Your sons have no need for gardening lessons." She gathered up her own needlework and began stitching away again.

"I bet their father would disagree." Athénaïs's jaw clenched "As their mother I order you to bring me my children."

Scarron dropped her needlework in her lap. "With all due respect I'm the one who looks after your children. I think I know what's best for them. I think the young Duc's governor would agree with me."

Athénaïs's eyes bulged in anger. "How dare you? You will do as I say."

Scarron gave a snort of derision before gliding out of the room.

"That woman," Athénaïs grumbled. "Who is she to order me around?"

"You two fight too much." Gabrielle picked up Scarron's needlework. "A cross. How original of her. Does she need to put crosses on everything?" She tossed it onto the chair.

"I don't get to see my children often and whenever I do all she does is disagree with me. It's infuriating."

Her daughter spoke up. "She says you think you are a queen and have led father down a sinful path. She says his soul needs to be saved."

"Is that the sort of tripe she's feeding you?"

"Is it true? Are you leading him astray? She says if we don't say our prayers every day we'll end up in the devil's clutches." Her daughter gave a deep frown that wrinkled her forehead and made her look about ready to cry. "I don't want the devil to get me."

Athénaïs leaned down to her daughter's level. "You should say your prayers every day, but I'm not leading your father astray. He makes his own decisions and Madame Scarron doesn't agree with them, but he'd make the same decisions with or without me. Don't worry about your father or I. We are fine and you will be too."

Once Scarron fetched the boys and they made their way to the garden, Athénaïs kept glancing back at the two guards, making sure they stayed close by. "Distract the children while I talk to Scarron. She needs to understand to not let them wander alone until Montespan is gone."

"On it." With a wink, Gabrielle pulled a bag of candy from a hidden pocket in her dress.

Scarron sat on a bench, continuing her needlework. She glanced up when Athénaïs approached her then returned her gaze back to her work.

"Do you ever take breaks?"

"Idle hands lead to the devil's work." Always the fear of eternal damnation with her.

"My husband is in the city." She sat down beside Scarron and turned her gaze to watch her children race about the paths.

Scarron's hands paused. "And you brought your children outside where he can find them?"

"I brought guards to keep us safe. I need you to understand this is the last time they get to play outside while Montespan is in Paris. Keep a guard with them at all times. Don't let them go wandering alone."

She sniffed. "I never do. Are you going to get your separation?"

"It's likely. We're going before a judge soon. I'm hoping for a decision in my favor."

"Being a single woman doesn't make sleeping with the king any less a sin."

Athénaïs stood. "I'm very aware of my role in the king's life. You don't need to remind me every chance you get."

"At least the duchess did the right thing by repenting and becoming a nun. You could learn from her."

"That's enough!" Athénaïs glared at her, her hands balled. "Remember your place and quit filling my children's head with nonsense about me." She turned on her heels to join her sister. Scarron may judge her for sinning with the king, but she herself bore the sin of pride.

Athénaïs grabbed her daughter, pulling her into a hug she didn't want to end. She already had Montespan poisoning her first children against her. She wouldn't stand for losing these children as well. "If Madame Scarron tells you any other nonsense about my soul or your father's, tell me. She isn't right about anything and I wouldn't do anything that would put you at risk." She kissed her forehead. "I love you. Always remember that."

The devil posing a threat to her children was Montespan and she'd make sure they were cared for. All of them.

*

"Are you ready to sign?" Gaspard asked as he pushed the document across the table to her. The king had given him to her for counsel during the hearing. Without him she would have been lost. With him coaching her she'd known exactly what to say and the hearing had gone easier than she expected. He'd even made sure to keep her away from her husband. Her win came as no surprise to anyone but Montespan.

She thought back to how red Montespan's face had been during her last words during the hearing. He'd looked ready to explode. As he glared and scowled at her, it'd taken all her restraint to not smile at him to infuriate him more. To see him cowed by Gaspard's forceful question and accusations was a sight she'd never forget. The way he'd trembled in fury, unable to smack her for it. The burning hatred in his eyes.

"This is it? After this we're done here I'm no longer his wife?" Her heart sped up in excitement. Her pulse roared through her ears. Freedom. She'd waited far too long for it. She skimmed the first paragraph before giving up and trusting in Gaspard's experience.

"Everything you want is in there. You will be free of him and the Montespan children will be cared for. You will retain the Montespan name. I told you we would be victorious." He signaled to a servant for wine. "And you never even had to talk to your ex-husband, as I promised."

"I will never doubt you for any reason."

The king flung the door open. "I'm here to give congratulations," he called out.

Athénaïs rose to greet him with a kiss when he reached the table. Gaspard bowed.

The king tossed Gaspard a small pouch. The coins inside clinked against one another. "A small tip for your services to the lady."

Gaspard grinned. "Thank you, Sire. I won't forget your generosity."

The king's gaze strayed to the document. "Ah, good, you didn't sign yet. I wanted to be here for it but Colbert held me up." He claimed the seat beside Athénaïs's. "Let's see it then."

With a flourish Athénaïs picked up the quill. She made sure both men were watching before she signed, ending in a dramatic flick of her hand.

When she finished Gaspard held his glass of wine up. "To Madame Montespan. May her name strike fear into the heart of her ex and all who oppose her."

The king grabbed a glass for himself and met Gaspard's toast. Together they each downed a large gulp.

"I want to hear about it. Did you see him? Montespan?" The king asked.

Athénaïs looked up from the legal document. "I saw him and it wasn't what I expected. I thought I'd be terrified of him but he just looked...pitiful no matter how angry he got."

"Unkept was my view of him," Gaspard added. "He needed new clothes and his hair brushed."

"And he looked too thin to be healthy. The time spent away from him made his appearance a shock. I expected the raging terror from my memories, not the ungroomed, sickly man in the courtroom." She rested her hand on the king's arm. "I'm glad it's over."

"Did you see his face when you recounted your stories about him? He turned red and his eyes bulged so much I thought they might pop."

Athénaïs smiled. "And his lawyer had to keep reminding him to not talk out of turn."

"I got the easy job of proving he was cruel. His lawyer couldn't prove otherwise. It was an easy win." Gaspard rolled the document up.

"I knew all would end well." The king ran his thumb down over her neck. "Montespan was a fool for not cherishing you."

"If you'll forgive me, Your Majesty, I'd like to get this document filed right away," Gaspard said.

"Ah, of course."

Gaspard bowed before backing out of the room with his head down.

"I'm very glad to have won my separation. I'm grateful to you and Gaspard for the help, but I've had other worries on my mind." She tightened her hold on the king's arm. "My governess has been rather judgmental lately. I'm afraid of what she is telling our children. Perhaps we should consider replacing her."

The king's brow wrinkled. "I like her. She takes good care of the children. She treats them like her own and I admire her dedication. If you wish it I'll have a word with her over being careful about what she says to them. I already have donations planned so she can buy the estate at Maintenon. It's my thanks for how well she's looked after the children. You picked the perfect woman for the job."

Athénaïs raised her head to meet his gaze. "Are you sure that's wise? It might go to her head. I don't trust her. I feel like she is biding her time waiting to plot against me."

The king titled his head in thought. "I think it's a fair gift. She mentioned she might leave for a convent and I don't want to lose her. The new estate will keep her at court. Whenever I visit the children we chat. I shouldn't have judged her for being such a bluestocking. As it turns out it gives her a lot to talk about and I understand why the women were so fond of her at the Paris salons."

Athénaïs dropped her gaze to the table. She was too late. Scarron already gained the king's favor and now getting rid of her would be difficult. Or her recent insistence on disobeying Athénaïs could be due to her detecting her new rise to favor. She was pushing her luck.

The king crooked a finger under her chin and raised her head. "Are you upset? You told me to try talking to her. I thought it would make you happy."

"I just...don't get too close to her. She keeps insulting me whenever I visit the children and I don't like it. I didn't take her for the type to desire power, but now I wonder."

"If it makes you happy, I will talk to her less. I know something that will cheer you up. We're supposed to be celebrating, remember?"

"What is it?"

He gave her a boyish smile. "I'm planning another fête here at Versailles."

"Now when Holland and Spain are conspiring against you?" It seemed a poor time to celebrate.

"War is no excuse to forget to enjoy life. I want to dedicate the party to you, my queen of Versailles. Help me plan it. Forget your ex-husband and the rest of Europe. We will enjoy ourselves and I will have everyone know how beautiful you are." He stood and held his arm out to me. "Come with me. Let's sail down the canal and spend some time alone while we think of ideas for the celebration. I am all yours. We can even visit the construction at Clagny to see how much longer before it's finished."

"We can do anything you want, but I'd like to see Clagny." She admired how he didn't let outside politics tear apart the lavish life he'd built at Versailles. No matter what happened elsewhere, Versailles remained its own little world, but it was a world she built with him and she wouldn't let some other woman sneak in and replace Louise. The king needed her and no one else.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

159K 6.1K 20
The Second Book in the Bride Series Katharine was a peasant girl, living in the streets of Paris when the Lady Eleanor found her and turned her into...
2.1M 108K 37
[COMPLETE] Drake Rohan's wife is a real piece of work. He despises everything about her. Everything from the heavily-powdered face, to the overly-red...
175 0 14
It's 1700 King Louis XIV is King, and homosexuality is illegal. However, that won't stop Darcy and Vivianne, or will it? The story of two girls figh...
388 25 11
When a man who lives in poverty tries to rob a young king of his wealth, he is caught. Unexpectedly, the lonely king takes him in as his bodyguard an...