Clemency's Point

Por Gemmiejewel

Jenny May-Hill is a features writer at the local paper. Her husband Alex runs the coffee shop, best friend P... Más

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eight

2 0 0
Por Gemmiejewel

'You are insane you know that?' It was the occasion when Jenny and Alex were actually getting ready for work at the same time. In their small kitchen, they had mastered the art of moving around in sync as they prepared tea and toast. Jenny grabbed the marmalade from the fridge and placed it in front of Alex who proceeded to open it one handed, confirming Jenny's suspicion that the culinary profession was actually witchcraft.

'You're the one who is always saying I should ask for help.' Jenny reiterated as she poured water onto a tea bag. 'Now that I've asked, I should be committed?'

'It's not the fact that you asked.' Alex stopped mid spread and looked at his wife. 'It's who you asked.' Jenny rolled her eyes and took a long gulp of her too hot tea, immediately regretting it.

'Just trust me.' She managed to croak out, as she put down the mug and reached for the orange juice to cool her now burning tongue and throat. 'I know what I'm doing.'

'Says the woman who now has second degree burns of the jugular.' Alex grinned sarcastically. 'Water is better by the way.' Jenny only responded by flipping Alex the finger as she continued to drain the orange juice. Alex just laughed and kissed Jenny on the temple as he manoeuvred past her, toast in hand. Jenny took a deep breath and held in an acid tinged bleach as she did so.

'I'm not doing that again.' She said to herself, washing out the glass in the sink. It wasn't the best way to start the morning but Jenny did have the satisfaction of messing up Alex's hair when the cushion she threw in reaction to his giggling connected perfectly with its intended target.

Most of the morning for Jenny passed uneventfully. She answered the many emails that had come into the paper for her; she readjusted the follow up article and generally enjoyed a rare sunny, February day. Jenny stood up and stretched and walked a few steps over to her window to glance at The Point in its late winter glory. There hadn't been any snow up until now but there had been plenty of wind and rain, which saddened Jenny slightly. Even though it made it completely inaccessible, when The Point was covered in a white layer of ice, it looked more beautiful than a Christmas card. Sometimes the Chief Photographer at the paper would use a shot just for that very reason, to show his city loving relatives what they were missing. Jenny thought about doing that once or twice with her absent parents on the receiving end. The irrational part of her brain would anyway, the rational part would just ignore them and the life they had made for themselves wherever they may be. Another quick stretch later and Jenny returned to her desk. She let out a small yawn before pulling her chair forward and going back to her article. This Jenny did until it was time for her daily lunchtime visit to C&C. Just as she was gathering her jacket and bag, the Office Junior came dashing into the office and held onto the doorframe as she tried to get her sentence out.

'You...need...to get...oh hang on...' The Office Junior was making more of a show of drama than Jamie during pre-haircut week. Jenny put a hand on her hip and rubbed her eyes.

'I'm hungry, hurry up.' Jenny said, trying to sound more authoritative than she actually meant to be. The Office Junior took a deep breath and waved her hand.

'Council Office called.' She said. 'Your Grandfather, I mean Mayor May, needs to see you immediately.' Jenny knew that the last time Granddad Tom summoned her to the Council Office something bad was going down. She threw her jacket over her arm, grabbed her bag and bounded out of the door, pushing past the Office Junior who still stood there expecting a thank you as Jenny rushed out of the door of Gazette Headquarters.

The clip of Jenny's heels resounded through the hollow walls of the Council Office, breezing past the receptionist who didn't even bother to look up. As she passed The Records Office, Jenny banged on the door but kept walking so didn't see Jamie coming into the hallway.

'Jen?' he shouted after her. 'What's wrong?' Jenny looked over her shoulder but carried on walking.

'Granddad summoned me from the office.' She answered as she rounded the corner and disappeared out of sight. Jamie went to follow his sister but the ringing of his office telephone forced him back inside his tiny, dusty room. As Jenny reached the door of the Mayor's Office, Granddad Tom's assistant Edward, a tall thin man with grey balding hair came out, looking flustered, his wrinkled brow furrowed.

'Ahh Mrs Hill...' he said breathlessly. 'I am glad you got my message from the Mayor.'

'Is my Grandfather alright?' Jenny asked, trying to push her way past but was stopped by the taller man.

'Mayor May is currently in a very strong worded meeting my lady.' Edward raised a bony hand. 'He called you originally to join him in the discussion but I am starting to fear for his blood pressure and for the trophy cabinet collection.'

'Well let me in there and then I can sort it out.' Jenny had had enough, pushed past and pulled down on the door handle. 'And don't call me my lady.'

'Yes ma'am.' Edward nodded and bowed his head as Jenny walked into the office. Jenny found herself in the middle of the loudest slanging match she had ever heard. In the red corner, or rather standing behind the large, dark wood desk was Granddad Tom, face red, navy blazer wide open, clearly seething. In the blue corner was the man who was quickly becoming the mortal enemy of Boroughford-upon-Tweed.

'What the Hell are you doing in my Grandfather's office?' Jenny seethed, slamming her bag onto a nearby chair with such a force it bounced. Sweeney turned around and grinned his sickly grin.

'Well if it isn't my favourite sparring partner.' He said, making Jenny's skin crawl. 'I saw your little article, it made me laugh I have to say.' Jenny could already feel her blood boiling but a quick look over to Granddad Tom who simply shook his head, a signal for Jenny to remain as calm and dignified as possible. Taking a deep breath, Jenny regained all the composure she could before she spoke.

'You are bothering my Grandfather and I would kindly request that you leave.' She said, gripping onto a chair to stop herself from hurtling forwards and throwing Sweeney out of the window. Sweeney just laughed in return. He pulled on the cuffs of his cream suit and then straightened out his arms.

'I don't believe I'm bothering anyone.' He grinned again, making Jenny come to the conclusion that he may be permanently attached to his face. 'I was merely explaining to the good Mayor here that he should re-think my quite substantial offer.'

'I have already told you that there will be no deals or offers accepted here.' Granddad Tom straightened up, moustache twitching at full strength. 'Now kindly respect my Granddaughter's request and leave.'

'You heard.' Jenny said sternly. Sweeney however refuged to budge.

'Maybe I should repeat exactly what I said beforehand.' He said, turning around to Jenny once again. 'Your little sanctuary here is losing money quicker than you can get it back. The only way you can sustain your way of living is to accept my offer.'

'No one is accepting anything.' Jenny continued to stand her ground, not giving Granddad Tom a chance to step in and defend her. Sweeney raised an eyebrow and pursed his lips. Jenny could sense that her newfound enemy was getting riled up and secretly this was making her happy. Granddad Tom was still standing guard but was more than happy to let his Granddaughter fight the corner of the village. Sweeney however was certainly getting tired of the woman he saw as a mere inconvenience in his plans and wasn't afraid to show it.

'Listen here lady,' he snarled moving slightly closer to Jenny who didn't physically flinch. 'I don't take kindly to being told no, so by the time I am finished here, you and your rag tag little group can wave bye-bye to your picture postcard little life. And your precious little cliff top.'

'That is quite enough young man!' Granddad Tom boomed causing Sweeney to spin around and face the old man. 'I am telling you to leave right this minute. Edward, escort Mr Sweeney off the premises and kindly inform Chantelle on reception that he is not to be granted entry again.'

'Right away sir.' The assistant, who had been quiet and standing at the back of the office up until that point, stepped forward and placed his hand on Sweeney's arm who merely shrugged it off.

'I don't need to be escorted.' He growled. 'I can find my own way out. But believe me, I will be returning sooner rather than later.' Sweeney didn't take his eyes off Jenny as he left the office.

'Follow him Edward.' Granddad Tom ordered as he stepped from behind his desk. 'And summon my Grandson.' Edward nodded and did as he was told, exiting the room as silently as he had stood there during the whole exchange. As soon as she knew they were alone, Jenny let out a deep breath and almost collapsed over the chair she was leaning on. Granddad Tom was immediately at her side within a matter of microseconds, grabbing her arms gently and almost holding her up.

'I've got you, it's ok.' He said, soothing Jenny's hair like he did when she was upset as a child.

'I... oh my God...' Jenny didn't realise that she was hyperventilating until Granddad Tom sat her down and explained that she needed to breathe in and out slowly. Her ears and head were going fuzzy and muddled and it wasn't a feeling that she liked. It was only when Edward announced Jamie's presence as her brother came belting through the door, and dropping to his knees in front of her did Jenny start becoming aware of her surroundings once again.

'Jen? Jen, look at me darling.' Jamie put his hands on either side of Jenny's face gently to try and bring her back into the room. She nodded in response as her brain began to regain its focus.

'Ahh there she is.' Granddad Tom said with a sigh of relief as he saw some colour return to Jenny's cheeks.

'So that's what a panic attack feels like.' She said, leaning back in the chair and placing her hand on her forehead, which was now red-hot to the touch. 'I don't think I ever want one of them again.'

'Ok, does someone want to tell me exactly what happened please?' Jamie stood up as Granddad Tom handed Jenny the glass of water he had just poured. Jenny took a long sip before taking another deep breath.

'Sweeney was here.' She puffed out. 'Looks like I came in on the tail end of an argument.'

'Argument?' Jamie asked looking at Granddad Tom. 'You were arguing with your blood pressure?'

'It was more of a heated discussion.' Granddad Tom defended. 'I only called your sister here to try and talk some sense into the man.'

'And look at the state it's put her in!' Jamie motioned to Jenny who was still sipping on her water.

'Yes, that was something I had not foreseen.' Granddad Tom looked down to his Granddaughter who simply shook her head in response. It was at this point that Edward entered the office once again.

'Excuse me sir, but there is an urgent phone-call for you.' He stated. 'They want it to be a private call.'

'Put them on hold for a minute.' Granddad Tom stated, before turning his attention back to Jenny as Edward left. 'Jamie, take your sister home. Inform Morris about what happened and explain that Jenny will be working from home. Let Alex know as well. Get to it my boy.'

'Yes Granddad.' Jamie answered, feeling slightly like one of Granddad Tom's soldiers than a relative. 'Come on sis, let's get you home.' Jenny didn't argue, just handed her Grandfather the empty glass allowing her brother to help her up. Frustrated and feeling more than a little helpless, Jenny put on the best show she could as she and Jamie left the Council Office.

'You don't have to baby me, I'm fine.' Jenny lay on her sofa, fully bathed and dressed in her pyjamas as Alex fussed around her. He had already plied her with a full pot of tea and more Red Velvet Cake than a woman could muster but he was still fluffing cushions and pillows behind Jenny's head and under her feet. Although appreciated at first, Jenny was now a little tired of it. Alex however wasn't stopping.

'I just want to make sure you're ok that's all.' He said. Jenny rolled her eyes once again.

'I had a panic attack.' She sighed. 'Not a heart attack or anything like that, a simple plain panic attack and a small one at that ok?' Alex stood, hands on hips looking down at his wife. The concern on his face was real and Jenny could see that but it didn't stop her wanting to lock him the kitchen until he agreed to stop playing mother hen.

'Come here.' Jenny said, holding out her arms. Alex breathed out and stepped over to the sofa, sat down and let Jenny pull him down next to her.

'You are worrying me to death right now you know that?' Alex nuzzled into Jenny's neck slightly.

'There's no need to worry about me.' Jenny stroked Alex's back. 'I'm a big girl and I can take care of myself. Not that I don't appreciate you. I always appreciate you.'

'I know you do.' Alex looked up at Jenny's face, blue eyes sparkling. 'But I am allowed to be a macho husband every now and again aren't I?' Jenny smiled but offered no reply. Instead, she placed a hand on his cheek and tilted her head slightly to kiss him. Every time Jenny did that, Alex responded in the same way, kissing his wife back and shifting his position to gain better access. Despite the events of the day and the fact that all she really wanted to do was sleep, Jenny allowed Alex to do as he wished and position himself on top of her. Eventually his black shirt disappeared and her dressing gown slipped down from her shoulders.

'Are we really doing this right here?' Jenny sighed and closed her eyes as she felt Alex's lips on her neck. Her husband giggled and then nibbled on Jenny's ear.

'Well, in my professional husbandly opinion, after today you look as though you need a thorough examination to see if you are perfectly healthy.' Alex then continued his delicious assault on Jenny's senses, which she was more than willing to succumb to.

Feeling refreshed but slightly achy after her adventures on the sofa the previous night, Jenny breezed down High Street completely forgetting about her mini-breakdown in the Council Office. As she reached the main thoroughfare, she noticed there were freshly printed posters and flyers in some of the shop windows including Pip's Books. At first glance, Jenny reasoned that Spring Fete advertising had already begun but on closer inspection she noticed that they were something completely different entirely.

'What the?' Jenny read the poster more than twice to try and digest what it said. It was certainly not what she was expecting and didn't know whether it was a welcome surprise or not. Before Pip could come out of the shop to say hello, Jenny was already thundering her way into Gazette Headquarters.

'Mac! MAC!' Jenny's angry yell resonated through the paper's office as those who had arrived early to dive under their desk as the Features Writer whipped past, blonde hair flowing like a mane behind her. Mac Morris was causally sitting back in his chair reading one of the freshly printed broadsheets when Jenny entered and threw her bag down, sending papers and dust flying everywhere.

'Posters?' she asked sternly. 'Really Mac?' Mac leaned forward, closed the paper and pulled his chair further under the desk.

'I thought it would be a good idea to get extra coverage.' The Irish man was nonchalant about the whole thing.

'They have my face on Mac!' Jenny protested. 'It's bad enough that the village W.I. want my blood for being a bad influence and now this.'

'It's getting the coverage for your cause.' Mac reasoned again with a nonchalance that was beginning to annoy Jenny.

'Are you even taking this seriously?' she asked, desperation and anger in her voice. 'This isn't advertising a rock concert; this is the future of the village. First the front page and now this, it's cheapening everything. Claymore and her crew will be all over this.' Mac just shrugged, a look of what Jenny perceived as almost disinterest.

'The paper will help, as I said and that's what we've done.' He said. 'I'm sorry it's not to your liking. I'm sure that everything will be before long.'

'What's that supposed to mean?' Jenny asked with confusion in her voice. Mac didn't answer, just waved Jenny out of the office. She huffed, rolled her eyes and walked out into her tiny space. Frustration was not the word for what she felt. Yes, she was grateful for Mac's attempt at help but the backlash that Boroughford W.I. would bring forth wasn't worth mentioning. Shaking her head, Jenny booted up her computer and sat down to try and clear her head. The mist had descended so The Point wasn't viable to those who didn't look hard enough but Jenny knew it was there and felt a slight comfort in knowing her Grandmother's spirit was still with her. Breathing out deeply, Jenny glanced over at her computer screen and noticed the email icon was flashing madly.

'Oh great.' She sighed, silently cursing whoever had taught The Purple Rinse Brigade how to use a computer. With a heavy heart, Jenny clicked the "open" button and prepared herself for a barrage of emails all ending with the signature "Mrs V Claymore, W.I. Chair, Council Correspondence" or whatever she decided to call herself that day. However as the emails started filtering through, Jenny noticed that far from being emails of rebut, they were emails of support and calling for Jenny to start a petition and send a petition to Parliament no less. Pleasantly surprised, Jenny decided that instead of replying individually she would put a mass reply in tomorrow's paper. Opening her favourite writing programme she started to type, making a mental note to maybe thank Mac for the posters.

After her morning passed in a haze of words and badly made mugs of coffee, Jenny's lunchtime visit was more than called for. Throwing her tartan scarf around her neck, Jenny held her head high as she began the daily short walk to C&C. Even though it was still bitterly cold, the morning mist had now cleared and the late winter sun was starting to shine from behind the clouds. It was a quiet day with only a few people milling around and ducking in and out of the shops. Jenny noticed that Pip already had the "Closed For Lunch" sign up which, confirmed that he was having a slow day and had gone over to the coffee shop early. It seemed to be shaping up to be the perfect day. That was until Pip came steaming out of C&C, cricket folder held so tightly in his hand his knuckles were white, Alex following closely behind, red faced and almost boiling over.

'Take your stupid team and shove it where the sun doesn't shine, you incorrigible twit!' Pip stopped dead at the sound of Alex's insult. He turned around, eyes twitching and mouth pursed.

'Twit am I?' Pip retaliated. 'I'm not the one who wanted to put Lenny on wicket!'

'It's a perfect position!' Alex shouted, gesturing with his hands.

'For someone who can barely see straight? I don't think so!' Pip's voice reached a pitch that should have only been audible to dogs. Jenny couldn't believe her luck; just as she was thinking the day was going her way for once, she found herself mostly likely having to play referee again between her husband and brother-in-law. Nevertheless, Jenny did what she needed to do.

'All right you two...' she began, stepping in between the two men. 'What exactly is wrong this time?'

'That is wrong!' Alex pointed at Pip. 'He won't listen to reason or take criticisms.'

'You are merely the Vice Captain!' Pip stood on his tiptoes to try and get into Alex's face but failed miserably.

'Only because you took my spot!' Alex shot back. 'Illegally I might add.'

'All right!' Jenny interrupted, raising her hands. 'I am not taking anymore of this. Either you two sort yourselves out, or so help me I will throw you both off The Harbour Wall. Understood?'

'But...' Alex began before stopping as Jenny shot him a look. 'Ok fine.'

'Pip?' Jenny raised her eyebrows as her brother-in-law who was stood with his arms folded stamping his foot challenging his inner toddler.

'Whatever.' He said, not bothering to look at either Jenny or Alex.

'Ok, I'm hungry so I'm going inside.' Jenny said. 'Could I possibly ask the proprietor of the establishment make me a salad before I have to go back to work?' Jenny's sarcasm was not wasted on her husband who merely made a face before walking back inside. As Pip made to follow him, Jenny grabbed her brother-in-law's shoulders and turned him around to face his own shop.

'You go in there and calm down.' Jenny said, pushing Pip towards the door of the bookshop. Despite his loud protests, Pip was through the door and safely inside before Jenny made her way back to C&C.

'And we're back.' She said to herself as she walked in through the door of the coffee shop.

The sweet smell of caffeine and pastries hit Jenny like a tidal wave as she took her usual stool. Thankfully, The Purple Rinse Brigade had made good on their promise of not coming in which, pleased Jenny immensely. Jamie was already settled, tucking into a bowl of butternut squash soup, seemingly unaffected by a Pip tantrum. Jenny reasoned that maybe it was because he threw enough tantrums himself that he was immune to them. As soon as Alex disappeared behind the counter and into the kitchen, Jenny slid closer to her brother.

'Did you manage to find anything?' she asked. With a mouthful of bread, Jamie just shook his head. Jenny clicked her tongue on the roof of her mouth in frustration. As Jamie carried on eating, many of the patrons came up to Jenny and congratulated her on her efforts to save the village. The attention was nice and very appreciated but at that moment, Jenny just wanted to have a private conversation with her brother. After politely saying hello to everyone, having Alex place her salad in front of her and disappear once again, Jenny once again moved closer to Jamie who by now had finished his lunch and was wiping his mouth and hands with a napkin.

'So, how are we going to proceed then?' Jenny asked. Jamie pushed his plate and bowl away from him and then leaned forward.

'I'm not sure.' He said with pursed lips. 'I mean everything on the net is basically what we know already. And since he doesn't live in the village, that's about all I can do is Google. Unless...'

'Unless what?' Jenny asked. Jamie took a deep breath and spoke in a shaky voice which, was almost a whisper.

'There is something I can do.' Jamie almost whispered.

'I'm listening.' Jenny said, now intrigued. Jamie took another deep breath and started explaining, grabbing his sister's attention with every word. Now things were going to get interesting...

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

101K 3.6K 56
Helen Druman a simple girl with simple dreams,strong willed, hardworking and a fiery personality owns a small restaurant in one of the busiest place...
1.6M 48.7K 58
Kara is a struggling restaurant owner in the most famous city. Her father taught her everything he knew about the business. She learned from her mo...
118K 6.1K 35
With an opportunity of a lifetime to make her entrepreneurial dreams come true, Thea finds it getting increasingly harder to hide her attraction to h...
3.1K 106 20
Emily Mitchell, 35, living and working in New York City, has struggled through a string of failed relationships. When her boyfriend of 7 years takes...