The Nymph of Versailles

By KateValent

A 2019 Watty Winner. For fans of Allison Pataki and Philippa Gregory, THE NYMPH OF VERSAILLES is based on the... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Author's Note

Chapter 18

1.5K 91 27
By KateValent

Ash Wednesday, 1671

Tuileries Palace

"Please, can't we watch the sunrise together? The sun will come up any minute." She gave the king wide, pleading eyes. Around them the room buzzed with the throng of voices. Music played and those still sober enough to stay on their feet danced. A few drunks passed out in corners or in chairs. Exhausted servants carried drinks about and cleaned up spilled wine. A few corners smelled like urine.

"Is it dawn already? Why does time always fly by when I'm with you?"

"Think of how romantic it will be to watch sunrise together. We've watched the sunset before, but never sunrise."

"If it pleases you we can go to the gardens to watch." He offered her his arm.

Athénaïs grinned. As they picked their way through the busy ball, she silently cheered at Louise's absence. Louis was bound to invite her to join if he caught sight of her. Louise horned in on her time with the king enough as is. They shared too much, not just rooms but carriage rides with the king and walks. They entertained dignitaries with him. Too many of her memories included Louise.

The gardens were full of courtiers, including those who snuck into shadowy corners to catch private time with an illicit lover. With wine coursing through her veins she didn't care whenever she caught the scent of piss or caught sight of Monsieur kissing the Chevalier who'd been welcomed back to court. No one but Louise would be able to ruin her good mood. The queen already left hours ago for bed, leaving her to dance with the king as much as she pleased.

They sat on a bench providing a perfect view of the sky. Rosy pinks streaked the sky and she let out a sigh of joy. "It's so beautiful."

"A perfect morning to end the perfect night. I'm glad I got this time with you."

"I wish we got more time together." She gestured toward the skies as smears of orange melted into the pinks. "I don't know which is prettier, sunrise or sunset."

"Whichever one I spend with you is best." He took her hand in his and they grinned at each other.

Giddiness crept through her wine-clouded mind. "Moments like these are perfect," she said. "I don't want to have to go to sleep. Tomorrow will pale in comparison."

"Allow me to make it better for you then. I should be able to find time for a visit before dinner." He leaned forward to kiss her forehead. "Some days I can't help but to fantasize what Versailles would be like if you were my queen." He brushed his thumb over her jaw. "I've dreamed of it more than once."

Her heart skipped a beat and she smiled. "I wish I could be your queen more than you could ever know." She rested her head on his shoulder and reached up to twirl a piece of his hair around her finger. The soft strands of dark hair felt silky against her skin. She preferred to feel it against her neck and breasts, but here in the garden it would be too risky.

"There you are," Monsieur said as he stepped into view, blocking the sky. "I've been looking for you."

"What is it, Philippe?" the king asked.

"Our cousin won't stop asking for you. I think she wants to press the case of her marriage some more."

The king rubbed the bridge of his nose. "Fine. I will go speak with her." He turned to Athénaïs and bowed. "I will see you again soon, madame."

"Sire." She curtseyed. She wandered after the two men as they headed back to the ball. Her slower pace kept her out of eavesdropping range as their heads pressed together in hushed whispers. She didn't want to leave the peace of the gardens behind yet despite the chilly air. Tonight had been perfect from her dances with the king to their stolen time in the gardens. In the quiet of the gardens she could indulge in it all a little more before facing the new day.

"There you are!" Gabrielle stepped out from the shadows of a tall bush and fell into step beside her sister. "Louise left a while ago and Lauzun isn't here either."

And just like that her good mood and night came crashing down around her. A cold breeze blew icy daggers over her skin. She shivered and rubbed her hands together. "Scheming?"

"Knowing Lauzun, probably. Or maybe we are being paranoid and they've become lovers, but I think the first one is more likely. I can't see Louise falling for someone like Lauzun. He isn't pious enough for her tastes."

"And what are we to do?"

"Wait and see what happens. I sent a maid to search for Louise. If they are together we'll flush them out and aim to keep them apart."

"I need to get some sleep. I'll check her rooms and see if she is hiding in them with Lauzun."

"Let's go check her rooms together."

Her rooms came up empty. Athénaïs roused her maid from sleep but got nothing out of her. Sophie hadn't seen Louise since she left for the ball, but the ball gown had been thrown on Louise's bed, proving she'd come back at some point.

Athénaïs fingered the fine material of the dress. "I can't think of anywhere she would have gone unless she has a secret lover, but I can't see her taking that risk. She could be in the chapel praying, but at this hour? I think she would pray in her room."

"If she isn't here then she must have left the palace." Gabrielle turned in a circle as she inspected every corner of the room.

Athénaïs stared at the rumpled dress. Wrinkled and with a champagne stain splashed across the skirts, it made for a pitiful sight. "I don't understand why she would change and leave her clothes behind." Athénaïs turned her back on the dress and made for her rooms. "Whatever she is doing I can't stop it. All I can do is wait and see what happens unless some sign of her turns up. I'm not putting my life on hold in fear of what she might be up to."

When she reached the threshold to her room, she stopped. "What if she has found a way to regain her favor? If she wins the king back she might convince him to do away with me somehow." Her voice came out shrill.

"She won't. If you can't get rid of her she won't be able to get rid of you." Gabrielle wrapped an arm around her shoulders. "Have faith. If she somehow wins I'll hide you away from your husband until the separation passes. She might simply be off flirting with someone in hopes of making the king jealous."

Athénaïs heaved a deep breath and dropped her hands. "I can't handle this tonight."

"Then get some sleep. There's not enough cause for alarm yet. I'll keep my ears open for any gossip."

"Sleep sounds nice." It would be another day spent with her body screaming for more rest. Her feet already ached from all the dancing. A blister pulsed on the side of her big toe. She wanted nothing more than to crawl under the covers and not get out for the rest of the day, but duty called.

*

Athénaïs rubbed at her eyes. Her head felt groggy and her limbs heavy. She needed at least another three hours of sleep, but if she wanted to be ready in time for the ride back to Versailles she needed to get up and dressed. Sophie and another maid already bustled about preparing her outfit and finishing the packing.

"I want to clean up. Prepare a basin of water," she ordered. She sat up in bed, squinting at the bright sunlight pouring in. Already the ball felt like it'd been days ago instead of only a few hours. She laid back down a moment, staring up at the ceiling. Oh how she'd love to experience the ball all over again. To be told the king fantasized about her being queen. She didn't want to forget his words or the way he'd said it with such devotion in his voice.

After she cleaned up Sophie got to work curling Athénaïs's hair. Gabrielle entered looking as groggy as Athénaïs felt.

"I have news on Louise. She left the ball early to walk to the Visitandine convent in Chaillot. She left a king a note telling him she planned to repent and leave court behind, including her children."

Athénaïs met her sister's gaze through the mirror.

Gabrielle rested a hand on her shoulder. "Don't get excited. I doubt she means it. Lauzun's recent presence means it has to be some sort of plot to win favor back."

"I can't imagine leaving my children behind," Athénaïs said. Sophie's deft fingers had already curled half her hair into tight ringlets. Soon she would be ready to face the day and the king. "Has she no love for them?" Joining the convent would mean leaving her children behind.

"All she cared about was the king's favor. She used them to further her positon with him. I think she sees them as living embodiments of her sin." She grabbed a perfume bottle and spritzed the jasmine scent on Athénaïs. "Keep the king company but don't speak harshly about her. We don't know how he feels about her leaving yet. Don't draw his anger by celebrating."

"But we are still going to Versailles. The king didn't cancel to wait for her and I choose to take his decision as a good omen."

"The day is early yet. Don't let your guard down." She stepped back and gave a nod of approval. "Let's finish getting you ready for the ride."

"Monsieur's new wife will be riding with us, Elizabeth-Charlotte. She hates me. She is so rude." She was a portly woman who always wore a sour expression in Athénaïs's presence. It made Athénaïs long to have Henrietta back. Elizabeth-Charlotte hailed from Bavaria. A few courtiers joked that Monsieur enjoyed her masculine appearance, but it had not been so. He hadn't been thrilled about the marriage after seeing the bride the king chose for him. But like everyone else at court, he had no choice but to do as the king commanded.

"She envies your beauty is all. She is ugly and I think Monsieur misses Henrietta, something I bet he did not expect. But come on, let's hurry. You can't be late."

By the time she made it to the carriage, Elizabeth-Charlotte was already waiting. She didn't acknowledge Athénaïs's arrival and Athénaïs chose to wait several paces away from her for the king, who she greeted with a kiss. He gave her his charming smile and she took it as another good sign.

"I hope you got enough sleep after the late hour we saw," the king said.

"I will make up for it tonight. I'm just happy to see you again. I wish the ball was still going." And she wished Louise wouldn't come back.

"It was a wonderful ball. I'm pleased with how it turned out. I hope the next one will be as perfect. After you, Madame Montespan." He helped her inside the carriage before climbing in after her. Elizabeth-Charlotte greeted the king, but ignored Athénaïs.

"I sent Monsieur Lauzun to fetch the duchess back," the king announced as the carriage started down the road.

"She would be wise to follow your orders," Athénaïs said with mock concern. She hoped Louise wasn't so wise. This had likely been part of her—or perhaps Lauzun's—plan. The king would chase after her and maybe it would rekindle his affection. "I could never imagine leaving. I want to go wherever you go."

The king cast her a look full of longing. "I am happy for it. I do not wish for you to ever leave my side. Versailles would be gloomy without you."

Elizabeth-Charlotte smirked. "It would be a tragedy to lose the Duchess de Vajours from court. I hope her return is swift. Don't you?" She stared at Athénaïs.

When the king's gaze turned on her, she knew she had no choice but to answer. "I hope she does whatever the king orders, as she should." The answered seemed enough to satisfy the king. He gave her a nod of approval.

"I didn't expect her to leave." He turned to the window, the glass open as usual per his demands.

"Perhaps you will need to convince her she is wanted at court," Madame suggested. She turned to the window so the king wouldn't see her smile. "Not everyone is kind to her. It's easy to see how she might feel unwanted." Her smirk grew.

"I will see what news Lauzun brings." The king stared off into the distance with glassy eyes. She recognized the look from the nights he appeared in her room only to stare into the fire while she comforted him. The crown weighed heavy on him, but he wouldn't let it show outside of his private rooms.

Lauzun's name stirred uneasiness in Athénaïs's chest. No doubt he had to have played a part in the plot, which meant Louise didn't plan to stay at the convent. This had to be part of some bigger plan. As much as she wanted to say so, she wouldn't risk upsetting the king. Not today of all days when Louise was poised to make a new attempt at favor and Lauzun was currently in his good graces. She would have to wait to speak up. Wait for the right moment when it wouldn't hurt her.

"I hope the hunting will be good this week," he said, his gaze trained on the passing scenery. If anything he looked worried with his chin resting on his hand and his brow furrowed.

Athénaïs wondered what he was thinking. Did he truly miss Louise or was he angry she would leave without consulting him first? Either way she couldn't let him wallow.

"I heard an amusing story at the ball. Apparently Monsieur Lauzun found a sleeping servant in a hall and drew a large mustache on him. The man spent the whole day not knowing why everyone was laughing at him." The king chuckled, the creases around his eyes crinkling. She watched his every movement. Is this how he would react if Athénaïs left? No, she decided. He expected Louise to heed his summons.

She searched for a joke to keep him in good spirits. She poked fun at the drunks from the ball and the ugly dresses she'd spotted. When Elizabeth-Charlotte tried to steer the conversation back to Louise out of spite, Athénaïs pointed with enthusiasm at a stag beside the road, drawing the king's attention back to talks of hunting.

As soon as they reached Versailles and climbed out of the carriage, Lauzun road up with news.

"Where is she?" The king demanded. His eyes narrowed in impatience as Lauzun dismounted and bowed. Athénaïs stopped, not wanting to miss his news before returning to her rooms. Louise wasn't with him and she dared to hope it was a sign she wouldn't return. When he spotted her standing beside the carriage, Lauzun gave her a serpentine smile. He tipped his head to her.

"Well?" the king prodded.

Lauzun returned his attention to the king "Sire, I'm afraid the fair lady refused to return with me. She said she gave her youth to you and wishes to give the remainder of her life to God. She wishes to live a life of prayer and worship."

"How admirable," Elizabeth-Charlotte muttered with a roll of her eyes. If Henrietta had been here, Athénaïs imagined she would have praised Louise's decision instead of mocking her. Athénaïs bit the inside of her cheek as a wave of grief washed over her. Poor Henrietta taken to the grace so young. She'd been a better fit for the French court than her replacement would ever be.

"She really wishes to leave me?" The king gaped at Lauzun as though he could never imagine such a thing.

"I'm afraid so, Sire. She was quite resolute in her decision no matter what I argued. If it's any consolation she looked quite at peace at the convent. Glowing even."

The king stood in quiet contemplation. His frown and scrunched brow made him look about ready to cry. It was the same look Athénaïs saw him wear during her wails of agony when she gave him a daughter and she hated that he wore the expression for Louise. She dug her nails into the palms of her hand to keep her biting remarks at bay.

"If she wishes to stay, we should leave her in peace," she offered.

The king reached for Athénaïs's hand. "You think so?" His eyes searched hers.

Lauzun cut in. "Sire, I do not think the Duchess de Vajours will remain happy at the convent. How could she remain happy if she isn't with you? It would be cruel to let her make such a mistake. You know better than she."

The king's gaze hardened and Athénaïs could feel her control of him slipping away too quickly for her to catch. "It should be her decision to make."

The king stared off down the road. "Bring her back no matter what. If you need to use force I grant it." This wasn't the same shy man who first wooed Louise. No, he knew what he wanted and was willing to demand it. For better or worse the king had grown more confident with women. More willing to seek his pleasure and satisfaction.

"As you wish." Lauzun gave another bow. The king turned and hurried toward the palace. Courtiers swarmed him before he reached the front door.

Lauzun gave Athénaïs a wink. "Not happy today, Madame Montespan?"

"You helped her plan all this, didn't you?" She balled her hands and took a step closer to him.

"If you won't help me gain the king's favor, maybe Louise will once she takes her spot back."

"I won't be so easy to get rid of. It will take more than one act of her running away to eclipse me in the king's favor. Although I'm disappointed. I thought you were a more clever man than this. Throwing your support behind the disgraced mistress, pitiful." She spit out the last word.

He narrowed his eyes. "Pretty words from a woman about to lose her position. The king doesn't like to lose things that are his. He'll fight to keep her just because he'd rather own her. Enjoy your day. It could be your last as the favored mistress." He climbed onto his horse with graceful ease. Athénaïs jumped back as the horse kicked off. Jaw clenched, she gathered up her skirts and rushed to catch up with the king. She shoved her way through the crowd buzzing around him and followed close behind, determined to not let him out of her sight.

Politics kept him busy. She watched from a lounge chair as he discussed political bills and construction business with his counselors as though nothing out of the ordinary had occurred. By evening the antechamber to his room cleared as Louise arrived from the convent. She gave the king an elegant curtsy. Her plain dress looked dull in comparison to her usual court clothing.

Tears dotted the king's cheeks, startling Athénaïs. He'd never shown so much emotion over Louise, and he looked at her as though she were some goddess come to grant him a gift. He opened his arms and Louise rushed to him, her own tears spilling over. She bowled into him so hard he had to step back to keep himself righted.

"Forgive me!" Louise wailed. "It wasn't until I left that I realized how much I missed you." She buried her face against his shoulder.

"I forgive you. It was a moment of weakness. Nothing more." The king ran a loving hand over Louise's hair the way he so often did with Athénaïs.

Speechless, Athénaïs watched. Unable to act on her welling rage, she teared up as well, hating Louise more than ever as she kissed the king and promised to never leave him again. She wanted to scream and rail at both of them. To tell Louise to return to the convent and demand the king give her up. But that would only bring her the king's disappointment and with Louise back on the rise she couldn't afford any mistakes.

"Look, even Athénaïs missed you." The king spoke warmly as though Athénaïs's tears moved him. "Go greet her," the king ordered as he pulled himself out of Louise's embrace.

Athénaïs accepted Louise's hug, pulling her arms tight around her not because she missed her, but because she wished she could squeeze her until she fainted. Maybe the fear would get her to leave for good. When the king barked off orders to the servants to bring food and wine to celebrate, she leaned toward Louise.

"I know Lauzun helped you. You're a fool to trust him," she whispered.

Louise stepped back, her lips pressed into a thin line. She turned to the king. "Can we skip the celebration? I want time with you, alone." She gave him a flirty smile and a look of utter devotion.

"Of course." The king didn't take his eyes off her as Louise led him into her room. A look he'd given Athénaïs countless times.

"Louis?" Athénaïs said. "What about me?"

He didn't reply. He followed after Louise as though she were a siren and he a desperate sailor caught in her thrall. Louise cast her a smug smile before pulling the king into her room and slamming the door after him. The lock clicked into place, ensuring Athénaïs would be kept out. She gaped at the closed door. Normally she was on the other side with the king, not alone on this side.

"No, no, no," she whispered. Since when did the king prefer Louise to her? Was he so ignorant to not see through Louise's ploy? She stepped up to the door and prepared to knock. A shrieking giggle caused her to jerk back as her heart jumped into her throat.

"Louis?" She called out again. Still no response. She backed away from the door. She turned too quickly and stumbled against the wall. Once she righted herself she fled to her rooms.

How could the king be so quick to leave her? He barely paid Louise any mind the past few months. She'd become more of a decorative ornament than a mistress. It was Athénaïs's bed the king visited, not Louise's. Her legs buckled beneath her as soon as she crossed the threshold to her room. She slid to the ground, staring at the floor in shock.

The room swum before her and she closed her eyes to calm her head. If the king reacted like this whenever Louise left, how could she ever get rid of her? She wrapped her arms around her legs and rested her head on her knees. A numbing shock kept the tears at bay. She replayed the look of devotion on the king's face over and over again. He hadn't looked at Louise like that in years. Not since the start of their relationship and not since Athénaïs stepped into his bed. Icy shards of jealousy ripped through her stomach and she shuddered. Louis was supposed to be hers, not Louise's. She'd find a way to remind the king and Louise of that fact.

She roused herself from the floor and walked to her wardrobe. Tonight was lost, but tomorrow wasn't. She sorted through the dresses, ignoring the sobs threatening to well to the surface. Her hands stopped at a pale blue dress with a bodice so low she feared her chest would pop out if she moved too much. It would do, as well as some of the recent jewelry the king lent her. She'd bedeck herself in blue and white while ignoring her anger and jealousy. She'd crush it as deep as it would go. Tomorrow she would flirt, tell jokes, and dance her heart out with a grace Louise could only pray for.

Louis and Versailles were hers. One small setback wouldn't stop her from dominating the king's heart.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

61.3K 1.4K 33
After years of ups and down, Ryan William is left all alone even though he's surround by a lot of people. Choosing his love over the girl everyone th...
590K 34.3K 36
{WATTYS 2020 WINNER} {FEATURED BOOK} Paris, 1663. 500 girls selected by King Louis XIV embark on a journey across the seas from their homeland. Each...
156 0 14
It's 1700 King Louis XIV is King, and homosexuality is illegal. However, that won't stop Darcy and Vivianne, or will it? The story of two girls figh...
2.4K 425 46
♦THIS IS A SEQUEL TO DASTARDLY DAMES OF DOOM, AND CANNOT BE READ AS A STANDALONE -- IT IS ALSO RECOMMENDED TO HAVE READ THE MAIN GOLDEN SERIES BEFORE...