The Nymph of Versailles

By KateValent

A 2019 Watty Winner. For fans of Allison Pataki and Philippa Gregory, THE NYMPH OF VERSAILLES is based on the... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Author's Note

Chapter 11

1.9K 120 9
By KateValent

July 1668

She sucked in the warm air of the Versailles garden. The light scent of orange blossoms washed over her whenever the breeze blew just right. The magical feeling in the air was the same as during the celebration of the Enchanted Isles. The beauty of Versailles made the palace seem like the king's own Mount Olympus with enough splendor fit for the gods. This time the court celebrated the end of the war in Flanders despite fears of the Dutch joining an alliance with other countries to reclaim the Spanish Netherlands. Her gold dress made her feel fit to stand at the king's side. He had given her the money for new dresses and loaned her a pearl necklace. Louise wore nothing but a plain red ribbon.

Sixty courtiers dined with the king, Athénaïs and her sister included. Three hundred candles provided light to eat and converse by. Athénaïs watched the water rushing out of the waterfalls in the model of Mount Parnassus. Parnassus was home to Apollo and the muses. The king chose Apollo, the sun god, to represent himself, and Athénaïs decided that made her one of the muses. She would be his Athena and muse all in one. And someday, she'd sit beside the king in Louise's place.

She turned her gaze to the king and envy wormed its way through her thoughts. Thanks to the fear of her husband finding out about her position, Louise got to hang on to her position as mistress, even if only in title. Athénaïs got to spend her time amongst the other ladies and away from the king's side while Louise clung to him. All the more reason to loathe Monsieur Montespan. First he'd taken away her chance at a happy marriage, and now he cost her the king.

Louise didn't even enjoy her position at his side. She looked like a flower wilting in the king's light. She stared down at her plate in silence. The joy she'd shown earlier when she found out she'd get to sit beside the king had all but vanished. During the past autumn she gave birth to her son, the Comte de Vermandois, while Athénaïs danced at a ball with the king. He met with Louise for dinner that day, and knowing how much he hated to hear others complain, Louise dressed up and met him with a smile despite the lingering pain of childbirth.

When the time came, Athénaïs would do the same. She would smile and pretend as though the pain did not matter and she could endure anything for him. She would not bother him with the trivial matters of pain and illness, topics he did not like to discuss.

"You should be beside him," her sister said. "He can't keep his eyes off you. Look, he keeps staring at you and ignoring Louise. If he is trying to hide his affection, he is doing a poor job of it."

It was true. Every time Athénaïs glanced his way, the king met her eyes. Other courtiers followed his gaze, taking note of who held his attention. Louise might be at his side, but soon the court would catch onto who really held the king's heart.

"Louise spent an hour praying before the festival today. She prays as much as the queen. She spends too much time worrying about hellfire and sin. I don't understand why she ever agreed to become mistress in the first place. She doesn't try to win court favor either." Louise was no charmer and whenever anyone made a joke at her expense all she could do was stammer and blush instead of responding with sharp wits.

Gabrielle shrugged. "The siren call of love is hard to resist. It brings even the best of us to our knees. The queen still thinks Louise is mistress. Enjoy her favor while you have it in case the letter writer takes up their quill against you again. Once Mademoiselle Montpensier figures out your position, her defense for you will grow weak. She hates to lie to the queen, but she'll do her best to keep the king happy."

She slipped an orange slice into her mouth, taking a moment to savor the juices bursting across her tongue. "The queen's favor doesn't mean much to me. She carries little power and the king promised he will let me keep my position. Once I can get rid of Louise and my husband, I won't need to attend the queen."

"Pity her then for soon you will be the true queen of France." Gabrielle called for a roll and the woman next to her passed one down.

Athénaïs gave a laugh of delight at the notion of her as queen. She couldn't help her confidence. The magic of Versailles and the gold encasing her made her feel like a queen already. Last night the king had come to her and taken her in bed while swearing no one could match her beauty.

"I want to smell one of the orange trees again." Gabriel picked at her remaining food. Orange trees in pots dotted the grounds. "They are as exquisite as the candied fruit I ate earlier."

"Loui—His Majesty loves his orange trees." Sometimes she found herself tempted to refer to him by name, but tried to keep from using it in public. If she was to keep her secret a little longer she needed to play the part of adoring courtier and nothing more while paying his title due respect. "He likes how they show his dominion over nature and their fragrance is irresistible. For some reason he enjoys the strawberries more." She spent hours walking the gardens with him. He spoke to his gardeners as though they were nobles themselves instead of commoners and she admired it. The results he got from his gardeners certainly demanded respect.

"Have you shown him your fountain design yet?"

"I plan to as soon as the festival is over." She yearned to please him with it. A weeping willow she saw while on a carriage ride with him had inspired her design. Jets of water would gush from its branches. With the love the king put into building Versailles, the idea of being a part of it with him made her giddy. She would leave her mark on the palace in a way Louise or the queen never would. "I can't help to fear my husband will return to court without warning. He didn't come to court when he was in Paris this year and I thank God for it. His creditors ran him out of the city."

"Ask the king to pay him off if he comes. While he was fighting for the king last summer he kidnapped a serving-girl. Have the king use that mistake against him."

"I'm afraid to bring my husband up. He's already the main reason the king keeps Louise at his side. And if I got pregnant—" She stopped in her tracks. "Any babies I have of the king my husband could claim as his." Why hadn't she thought of it before? She didn't trust her husband to be kind to her. But for the illegitimate children she might have, would his cruelty prove to be boundless?

Then you will have to hide any children from Montespan." Gabrielle's gaze tracked a woman a few seats down the table from them. The woman didn't wear the same look of merriment as her companions. Instead she had the strict look of a schoolteacher about her. "Isn't that your new friend you met at the Hôtel d'Albret? The poet's widow?"

Athénaïs followed her gaze. "Oh, Madame Scarron. I think you'll like her. She is a fine conversationalist." During her first year of marriage Athénaïs spent hours talking with the woman at the Hôtel Albret. She found her easy to talk to, but Scarron was renewed throughout the Paris salons for exactly that reason.

"Her dark clothes are drab." While the sympathy and commiserating from court ladies also felt fake, Scarron made hers feel genuine. "And I hear she had an affair after her husband's death with a marquis. Her aging looks are still pretty enough for one."

"I don't blame her. She has no husband to hold her back, but I hear she is becoming more pious and ended the affair."

Gabrielle wrinkled her nose. "Sounds like she is becoming stuffy as she ages. What fun is there as a widow if you can't have a handsome lover?"

"She married at sixteen. Maybe she wants a break from men."

"Ah, that's right. She was an orphan and married Scarron to have someone to look after her. She does not seem your type of friend." She jabbed her fork in Scarron's direction. "Didn't her husband die in 1660? Her mourning clothes aren't needed. I thought she was a salon beauty, but she doesn't seem it."

"She doesn't dress as brightly as she used to. I think her husband's death rattled her. I'm considering asking her to take care of my children if I can ever afford it. She needs money since her husband left her with so little and the children need someone I can trust to educate them. Someone who isn't frivolous and worried more about fashion and attending balls." And with her drab air and clothes, she couldn't imagine the woman attracting the king's attention.

Gabrielle waved a hand. "Forget about such things. Tonight is for pleasure. Even the best of us need to take a break from plotting."

Several minutes later the king rose from the table and led the queen to the dance floor. Other courtiers followed. With the king and queen in the center, the dance started.

"Pounce on him as soon as the dance is over. Steal your king for the night and be happy. Don't worry about what ifs." Her gaze softened and she rested her hand on Athénaïs's arm. "I've never seen you as happy as when you are with him. You bring out the joy in each other. If you become as miserable as Louise, I will take you away. Remember you can always trust me, little sister." She gave Athénaïs's arm a squeeze.

"Thank you. I promise I'll return your help as soon as I can." She rose and made her way to the edge of the dance floor. She didn't have to fight her way to the king. As soon as the first dance came to an end he met her halfway across the dancefloor with his charming smile. Aware of the gazes following her, she dipped into a respectful curtsey.

"I hope to be honored with more than one dance from you tonight." He bowed his head.

"As many as you want. We must make up for lost time since I didn't get to sit beside you at dinner."

"I hope someday soon you will be the one beside me. I'd rather have no one else there and I do not see Monsieur Montespan kindly for spoiling it for me." His gaze swept over her figure, lingering on her low-cut bodice. "Are you enjoying the festival, my love?"

She moved to the music, letting her limbs get swept up in the rhythm. "It's magnificent and I don't want it to ever end. I have something I want to show you the next time we get a chance to be alone."

"What is it? A new dress?" His mouth twitched, letting her know he was joking. In his haste to get her clothes off her four days ago he ripped her dress and her maid had to mend it. The dress didn't quite fit the same in the back of the bodice but she didn't mind. The dress had been one of her favorites and now it served as a reminder of her Louis's passion.

"I designed a fountain for you."

"A fountain?" His eyebrows shot up.

"I know how much you love Versailles and I wanted to contribute to it. I've never designed a fountain before but with you I feel like I can do anything."

"I am honored and I can't wait to see it. You are truly one of a kind. I pity myself for not gaining the courage to woo you earlier."

She smiled at the compliment. "I hope you'll like it, but I don't want to spoil anything until you see the drawing."

"I know I will love it." They turned sideways for three steps before turning to face each other again. "Are you happy? You've been smiling and laughing all night."

"I am very happy." She watched his lips. If only she could kiss him in front of the court.

"Good. All I want is to see you happy. I may have publicly dedicated this party to France's latest victory, but in my heart it is for you. We've had a glorious year, haven't we?"

"We have." The year had been a big one for the king and France. Not only had he triumphed in Flanders, but the queen gave him a male heir, ensuring the bloodline. "Will there be fireworks tonight?"

"Yes, very soon, and I hope you'll watch them with me."

"I'd love to." If the queen became suspicious then so be it. She wouldn't pass up a chance to be at the king's side for the queen's sake. Louise could hide in the crowd all she liked while Athénaïs stood at the king's side. The song ended too soon.

"We'll dance again later," the king promised before moving to dance with his cousin, Madame Montpensier, who gave Athénaïs a welcoming smile.

Lauzun stepped up to Athénaïs and bowed. "May I have this dance, Madame Montespan."

"Of course, Monsieur Lauzun."

"I seem to have bet on the right woman," he said as a new song started and their feet began moving in perfect sync.

"I don't know what you mean." She feigned innocence, throwing herself into the music and dance. One hand swept to her side in an arc, and then the other.

"What I don't understand is why Louise is still around. I expected the king to cast her off months ago." He kept his gaze locked onto Athénaïs, breaking his line of vision only to turn in a graceful circle to the music.

Athénaïs shrugged. "I wouldn't know. Did you enjoy the flavored ices served with dinner? I thought they were marvelous."

"Mine was delicious, but good company is what makes this party so enchanting." He turned to the right in step with the music.

Athénaïs caught sight of Louise at the edge of the dancefloor. Instead of paying attention to the duke she danced with, Louise watched the king with a look of pained desperation. Likewise, the duke's gaze wandered everywhere but on Louise.

Lauzun followed her gaze. "It is a shame you did not get to sit by the king at dinner. You would have looked so much better in that spot. No other woman is so fitting to be at his side than you."

"Your flattery won't get you anywhere with me. Impress me with your dancing instead."

Lauzun laughed. "It's a shame I didn't marry you when I had the chance. No other woman keeps me on my toes like you do."

By the time they finished their dance, it was time for the fireworks. The court followed behind the king as he made his way to the lake with the queen on his arm. Athénaïs hurried through the crowd to catch up to him when he reached the lake's edge. She eased her way out of the crowd to get closer to him. Unlike Louise, she wouldn't hide in the crowd. She'd stand proud at the king's side, but she kept her distance, giving no one reason to find her behavior scandalous or worthy of gossip that would reach her husband.

White fireworks shot across the sky. Athénaïs watched the way their light played across the king's features. In his fine clothes, not even Apollo could match his good looks. And she was here at his side. Not Louise or Soissons or any of the other court beauties. A bubbling warmth spread from her chest and into her stomach. She sucked in a breath and forced her gaze back to the sky before her emotions became too tempted to spill over. She locked her hands together and squeezed her fingers as a distraction.

Forget the Enchanted Isles. This was the party she'd never forget.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

222K 12.9K 60
"A single night can change the course of your entire life." . . . [Yandere Prince x Female Reader] Once upon a time, in the tiny kingdom of Vascini...
65.9K 2.8K 31
you can see it on Amazon Kindle... In the heart of Victorian London lives a girl names Katherine Davis. She is the real life Cinderella yet she was d...
223K 16.4K 50
{Wattys 2018 Winner - The Contemporaries} Versailles, France 1789: Where the only things more prevalent than opulence and wealth, are secrets. At the...
156 0 14
It's 1700 King Louis XIV is King, and homosexuality is illegal. However, that won't stop Darcy and Vivianne, or will it? The story of two girls figh...