Knight for the Prince

By MadelaineTaljaard

Marilyn's mother died of cancer. Forced to live with her uncle. Merchant Lord Grimston is well known and resp... More

Chapter 1 - Escape
Chapter 2 - The Gauntlet
Chapter 3 - Mark of the Golden Lion
Chapter 4 - King Arnoldus
Chapter 5 - Queen Evelyn
Chapter 6 - Duel with a Prince
Chapter 7 - Prince or Damsel in disstres?
Chapter 8 - Sabrina's vow
Chapter 9 - Paladin guide
Chapter 10 - Pounding Hearts
Chapter 11 - Galahad's disrespect
Chapter 12 - Small Establishment of Paladin Knights
Chapter 13 - Ristheart, The Fox of Fate
Chapter 14 - The Mountain Pass
Chapter 15 - Lone Sorceress
Chapter 16 - The Troubled heart of a Prince
Chapter 18 - Arwin's Punishment
Chapter 19 - News of Tragedy
Chapter 20 - A Way Out
Chapter 21 - Agatha's Cursed Necklace
Chapter 22 - Kidnapped
Chapter 23 - The Crown under Siege
Chapter 24 - Agatha's final fall
Chapter 25 - Trial by Knight
Chapter 26 - Arwin Claims His Knight
Chapter 27 - Celia's Paladin Guide
2000 years later - Responsibility
Fact File: Paladin Guides
Some Fan Art

Chapter 17 - Wheel of fate

438 25 130
By MadelaineTaljaard

The thundering of hooves fills the air as horses run on a racecourse at the King's Council in the kingdom of Shaundra.

Marilyn's heart is pounding in excitement as Grendelow surges forward powerfully beneath her and easily leaves the competition in the dust. Never in her entire life has she had this much fun. Laughter bubbles over her lips, while the thunder of hooves drowns out her laughter.

Grendelow seems to enjoy it just as much as he seems to challenge the horses to try and beat him. Since the jockeys are all armored soldiers it means her lightweight gives Grendelow a huge advantage. When he crosses the finish line he prances proudly as if to say. No one can beat me. I am simply the best.

King Arnoldus meets her at the finish line with a huge smile. He takes the winnings from the match official and winks at her as he walks away. With a finger, he beckons her to follow him.

Finally, they enter an area with less noise. "Congratulations Sameth. That horse of yours is the champion of this year's races. Here is your share of the winnings. A princess must have her share of the gold to make sure she can look beautiful." Arwin hands her the entire sack of two hundred gold pieces.

"Thank you, your majesty," Marilyn replies completely flustered. He just gave her the entire winnings of the race. Just like that. What the heck is she going to do with all this gold? There is no way she can ever spend all of it at once. She watches as he walks away whistling.

She decides on putting a fair share of it in a safe place. She takes only three pieces of gold and tucks the rest into a hard-to-reach space in her armor. Designed specifically to carry coins.

Grendelow follows her of his own accord. She decides to get him some fresh apples as a treat. The last two weeks at the King's Council have flown by very fast. Her mornings are filled with training with her father and her afternoons with watching the games the soldiers play. The biggest attraction is the sword championship. She sees Sir Ralston fighting even royalty for the crown of becoming the swordsman champion.

Other attractions also included a wizards championship, hunting expeditions, jousting, wrestling, archery, and more. Paladins are not allowed to enter because of their unfair advantage. The only game paladins are allowed to take part in is free-range fighting. In this championship, fighters can test their skill against any kind of fighter. According to her father, the paladins always dominate this tournament. There is not a King's council that goes by that a paladin is not crowned champion of the free-range tournament.

The free-range championships didn't go that well. She ended up losing in the quarter-finals to Bonecrusher. He was very careful not to cause Sameth unnecessary harm. His paladin guide caught her from behind in a bear hug and he didn't let her go until she yielded. Bonecrusher told her she is too valuable to hurt badly in a fight. He, in turn, lost to Eguardo in the final. Much to the crowd's entertainment, they let their paladin guides dish it out in the finals. This drew the attention of a lot of people. The Ibex hard skull turned out too much for the cyclops.

She continues to walk towards the market with her horse following behind her. She did not even have to pull his reigns. She feels very anxious as the closing ceremonial ball of the King's Council approaches. So far there has been no sight of Drachna throughout the King's Council.

Yet she still can not shake the feeling that this day is far from over. She is on duty tonight and is hoping the evening will go without incident.

These troublesome thoughts plague her as she buys apples for her horse as well as some fresh bread from the bakery. At four copper pennies, this baker is anything but cheap with his bread.

She guides Grendelow back to the stables where she gives him, his very well-deserved apples. She eats her bread while Grendelow munches away on his apples. She takes an apple and gives it to Whistler who is begging for an apple as if her life depended on it.

After properly taking care of her horse it is time for her to report for duty at the ballroom. She takes her post from the previous soldier and watches over the arriving couples.

The noble couples show signs of relief except for King Arnoldus and Queen Evelyn. The evening of the ball stretches on and Marilyn's father is on edge. He is sensing something is wrong but he knew that whatever evil lurks he can do nothing to help Marilyn.

Marilyn watches a very down prince Arwin dance with one of the royal princesses, but it was clear that his heart is not in the dance. He was only being courteous for his parent's sake. It was clear that he did not want to be at this particular ball. He came to the balcony where she has to stand watch. He passes her and she sees that his shoulders seem to weigh down. "Young highness. You don't seem yourself lately. Are you alright?"

"What does it matter to you Sameth!?" He stiffens when he hears Sameth behind him.

"You seem down. I was only concern..."

"Concern yourself with your duty and stop pestering me!" Arwin unnecessarily rebukes Sameth.

"My apologies, I was out of line. I shall not bother to ask for your well-being again," she replies coldly.

There is a painful jab of guilt in his eyes as he ignores Sameth and walks onto the balcony. Everything in the ballroom suddenly seems surreal as if everything looks fine, but something cold and evil lurks beneath. The fox of fate seems to stir uncomfortably at the sudden change in the air. 'Marilyn, it is time. Stand sharp, I sense a great evil is afoot tonight.'

'You're not the only one feeling it.' Replies Marilyn as she notices an uneasiness settle among the other paladin knights on duty. Namely Eguardo and her father.

She focuses her attention on Rebecca where she is torturing yet another creepy crawly. This time it's an ant. The girl is not afraid of anything. She is curious about anything regardless of how dangerous it is.

All of a sudden the girl looks up and her eyes focus on something in front of her that no-one else can see. Rebecca jumps up trying to catch something, but whatever it is. It eludes her.

"Eguardo, the time has come. Cover for me please."

"Sure thing. Good luck little falcon," Eguardo replies.

Marilyn starts to make her way across the ballroom. Keeping her movement discreet. At the same time, she tries to get Leticia's attention, but the sorceress is so engrossed in her conversation that she isn't paying attention. Finally, Marilyn had enough she imbues her will on her falcon to make it visible to the sorceress and made it land on her food plate. When Leticia tries to take another bite of her food she is jerked to full attention when the falcon bites her hand. She furrows her eyebrows at the falcon before it dawns on her that Marilyn is trying to get her attention.

She looks around the table for Rebecca, but the girl is gone. She looks up just in time to see Rebecca's yellow dress disappear around a corner and Marilyn in tow trying to get through a throng of nobles.

The golden falcon hovers in front of her eyes. Screeching for attention before darting after Rebecca. The falcon circles back. Fear blossoms in the pit of her belly and she excused herself from the table. She lifts her skirts and makes her way as quickly and as discreetly as possible. She made her way to the door at the same time as Marilyn. As the music dims behind them, the sound of a battle draws their attention. They came outside to find the Blackhawk dragon caught in the middle of combat with a black griffon.

The ground shudders from impact while snow buffets both of them as the Blackhawk dragon throws the black griffon hard into the ground. The griffon tries to grab the little girl but Marilyn is faster she slams a paladin shield between the griffon and Rebecca. She grabs the girl against her chest and braced. The paladin shield glows with an eerie golden light in the darkness. She skids with Rebecca close to her chest across the ground from the impact of the griffon's claw on her shield. Her paladin strength allowing her the inhuman ability to survive the impact and protect Rebecca in the process.

"You shall die for this knight! The silver phoenix shall be mine!" The griffon pulls back its claw for an attack, but a ball of fire hits the griffon in its side accompanied by a brilliant ball of green light. Vines sprouted from the ground where the green ball hit the griffon. The vined creates itself into a massive hand. It grabs the griffon and hurls it into the air. The vines form a fist and shot up toward the griffon.

The griffon regains its posture and maneuveres out of the vine fist's way and dives at Rebecca. Claws extended to grab Rebecca. The next moment she felt a massive surge of power as she once again uses the paladin shield. She pushes Rebecca behind her and jumps and finds herself being propelled at the griffon. She batters at the griffon's face with her paladin shield. Bashing the shield hard at first the left, then the right cheek. The griffon retreats and lands not far from them, but just out of range from the vine fist.

"That shield, it's paladin magic. I take it you are from Ristheart knight. Know that I will declare war on your puny kingdom first. Give the child to me and I shall reconsider."

"No."

"Then you must die." The next moment something black and round with a light at its heart came hurtling at her. She acts on instinct. She uses her sword to deflect the ball away from her. The black sphere hit the vines instead and the vines shrivel and turn to ash instantly. Another one heads towards her. A ball of green light counters it. The Blackhawk dragon collides with the griffon from the side and a section of the Castle's stone wall crumbles under the attack.

"Leticia, we can't keep this up. This griffon is too powerful. We are three against him and it isn't enough," Marilyn says with a tense voice.

"Indeed. We cannot hope to win a fight against him, but we can outsmart it. This beast's arrogance creates an opening. For its arrogance is also his greatest weakness. Here we go again. We need a way to get Rebecca out of this castle unseen," Leticia says the tension in her voice rising

"Unseen... Can we blind the griffon?" Marilyn asks.

"Yes, but it will take some time because the spell is complicated," replies Leticia thoughtfully.

'The griffon king uses dark magic and paladin magic is pure and untouched. It makes sense. You should be able to do it, but it will be temporary, and when he returns it will be with reinforcements.'

'I slew the griffon shifter. What makes this one any different?'

'He is the griffon king, Drachna. He has been searching for a powerful source of magic for years. I don't know why, but it has kept the griffon from attacking and killing every living thing in cold blood, which he is more than capable of doing.'

She feels magic pounding through her veins as the Blackhawk dragon opens its maw from behind her and envelope her in a golden mist. 'My magic is your magic. I sense your plan paladin. It is our only chance.' The voice of the Blackhawk dragon emanates through her.

She pulls her paladin shield and diverts another magical assault from Drachna. Behind her, Leticia has placed Rebecca in the saddle of the unicorn and put the child to sleep. Leticia came standing next to her as she deflects the fourth attack through the already damaged hole in the wall.

"Paladin, your defense won't last forever. You are becoming a nuisance. Bloodforge!"

Marilyn sees the sky becoming a strange dark red color and something grips at her heart. "Not on my watch Drachna! Wheel of fate! They who bear my will, shall not die unless it is their fate. It isn't this knight's fate to die tonight." The voice speaking through Marilyn is that of the fox of fate. Her vision returns to normal. 'Get him, Marilyn. The wheel of fate spell is in effect all ill-fated magic against you is nullified. He cannot use any magic on you that can cause you harm. If it is not your fate.'

Marilyn rushes towards the griffon fearless. The griffon laughs gleefully. But his laughter is short-lived. A green ball of light shimmer under Drachna's belly and even thicker vines curls around his waistline trapping him on the ground. Flames engulf Marilyn from behind and hide her from Drachna's view. Drachna screeches angrily as he fails to break free from the vine's grasp in time. He uses magic to break free from the vines, but when he looks up a human hand fills his vision holding a golden illuminated sword. The griffon cries in agony as the blade makes a vicious cut over his left eye, scarring it for life. Then the paladin magic infused with Blackhawk dragon magic that struck his eyes takes effect at the same time as the paladin shield collides with his right eye. Drachna jerks back completely blinded. He tries healing magic, but the spell holds.

Unable to defend himself he is viciously attacked by the Blackhawk dragon. Even blinded the griffon defends itself equally viciously. The fighting pair disappears into the dark of the night. Once out of the city the Blackhawk dragon hurls the griffon hard into the ground.

"Ristheart you shall pay for this insult! You can not keep your precious dragonqueen away from me forever! When I find the knight that took this victory from me, I will kill him! ..." They could hear no more as the Blackhawk dragon continues to harass and try to kill the griffon king.

The Blackhawk dragon returns. They could hear the beat of his wings in the nights sky.

Leticia rounds on Marilyn. "That was the last spell I expected. That particular spell is permanent. Once cast it cannot be removed. The fox of fate must have a lot of faith in you if he cast that particular spell on you. There is a warning that goes with it. If you use that spell recklessly. Fate can only be tempted so many times. My advice is that you should never tell anyone about that spell on you."

"What about the people I trust? I don't like to keep secrets from the people I trust."

"Do so you wish, but it will be at your own risk. One more matter that concerns me. How did you come by the ruin of fate?"

"I don't know? I don't even know what it looks like."

Leticia smiles sweetly as she focuses on a sleeping Rebecca in Glade's saddle. "It is the front crown piece of the Ristheart royal crown of the king. A squire piece of gold set in the shape of a diamond with the Ristheart coat of arms on it. That ruin was the original inspiration for the Ristheart coat of arms. The king must have entrusted it to you without your knowledge and it would have come to you as part of a gift from the queen."

Marilyn made to remove the helmet the Queen gave her, but Leticia stops her. "If the ruin wants to return to the king it will tell you. Leave it where it is. Right now it is content with being in your company. This is one secret you will have to take with you to the grave. If the ruin ends in the wrong hands, it will do a lot of damage."

"It fell into my hands on the first day I met the king. Because the ruin said I am to be a knight for the prince he placed me on guard duty to protect the prince. I found out later that it is a position that has to be earned."

"Interesting. How long ago was that?"

"A month ago."

Leticia's eyes sparkle with a strange knowing light. As if something dawns on her. "A knight for the prince. Mmm. That could explain a lot. Come we need to warn the king and queen and then they must leave tonight. Time is of the essence. Could you carry Rebecca, please? I need to speak with them and convince them that their lives are serious it is easier said than done. Rebecca's father can be very stubborn."

The moment she holds the five-year-old in her arms the ruin of fate falls into the girl's hands. She sees words forming and draws in a shuddering breath. On the ruin is only two words.

'Chosen one'

She takes the ruin and the words changed again. 'Bound by silver blood.' She shows it to Leticia. She plucks the ruin from her hands.

"The griffon king shall fall. The words are of prophecy. Every silver phoenix shifter that has been born was a chosen one. But coming from the fox of fate... Mmm... Come we are wasting time." Leticia says as she sets the ruin back in place.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.1K 722 13
A sellsword with a haunting past that follows her every day. Only a handful of people know about it. Every day, her life hangs in a thread. Can she h...
642K 24K 25
Years ago I had my revenge, and reclaimed my kingdom from the Usurper who murdered my father. Edeva Delsor, his only daughter, managed to escape me...
17.4K 664 27
TEASER: "No fiancรฉe of mine needs to learn how to fight." His breath flows upon the prickling skin of my neck. I close my eyes, involuntarily shu...
180K 11.2K 36
Alera lost her mother early in life and was raised by a strict king for a father and the many nursemaids who crossed themselves before touching her...