Valentine.

By mammijj

"V&L" read our initials. So delicately carved into a now surely dead Henry's plum-colored flesh. His glazed e... More

Preface.
Lillith.
Short Lived.
His Return.
**UPDATE**
Silence.
Renewing our Vows.
**Now available on Amazon & KDU**
Five Years.
Drown.
Don't Hold Your Breath.
• She Needs Me.
All That Glitters.
Fit for a Queen.
Old Friends.
Hold Your Tongue.
They're Watching.
Here.
Who.
Shreds.
Unholy.
Taken Again.
The Land of the Dead.
Lights Go Dim.
Dancing with The Devil.
What's Mine is Yours.
It Takes Two to Tango.
Break Me.
Just Smile.
Meddle About
Mute.
• C L O S e.
*Chapter 25 Teaser*
You're The One I Follow.
Vice. (pt.1)
Vice. (pt.2)
Vice. (pt.3)
The Coronation.
The Coronation (pt.2)
Epilgoue: Break My Little Cold Heart.
II

Garden of Thorns.

5.2K 214 26
By mammijj

Music 🎵

Several hours later, I am pulled from my thoughts by the sounds of Violetta's soft knocking coming from my door. Clasping my hands together, I am quick to respond: "Please, do come in."

She gently lets herself in and pads over to my bed. Smiling, she peers up at me and asks, "Your highness, I think the gardens are looking lovely today. Perfect for a quick tour?" she winks. I smile widely at her excitement and gracefully sneak my arms around her.

"Thank you so much Violetta. You are far too thoughtful and kind." Nodding, her eyes dance with excitement as she returns the embrace before pulling away.

"So, he said yes after all" I wonder aloud, surprised. "Yes" echoes the deep voice from across the boudoir.

Hades is leaning against the open-door frame, one leg crossed over the other. He wears slacks the color of midnight accompanied by a black evening shirt that hangs a few notches unbuttoned at the collar. His sculpted arms are tucked into his pockets, and hair is tied back in a smooth bun. Almost as neat as Violetta's.

His collected demeanor almost gives in to a carefree air about him. We silently stare at each other, neither of us saying a word to the other. After a moment too long, Violetta clears her throat and finally speaks. "Well, your highness, we better get going. There's a lot I would like to show you-"

"On second thought, I can take her from here. You are dismissed" Hades cooly interjects. Violetta slightly hesitates at the sudden shift in energy before curtsying and silently making her way to the door. She throws me one last tender smile as she exits, leaving us alone. This was not at all what I had been expecting. Especially considering the effort he'd been putting into ignoring me the past week.

I remain glued to my perched position atop the mattress, even moments after she leaves, my mind reeling back to the last time we were together in this room. Brief flashbacks of the scarlet trail left by the frail woman invade my thoughts as I stare down into my lap. I still feel timid and weary around him, and the magnitude of his temper remains a constant warning as I seize his figure in my peripheral.

"Or would you prefer to continue sitting there and mugging me?" he breathes into the silence. I turn to face him, and our gazes immediately lock. Before I can even think of the words to say, he pushes himself off the wall and stands firm. Adjusting his collar, he interjects. "My understanding is that we have a garden to go marvel at?" A cool sarcasm laces his tone and it's just enough to loosen the knot of tension in the air.

"I believe so" I retort appreciatively before shuffling off the bed. As I am sliding into my slippers, he holds his arm out to me. "Shall we madam?" he snorts playfully. The smallest hint of a smile graces his face and I struggle to conceal my shock. The Hades that stands before me now seems like an entirely new man and this side of him, I'm not sure I've ever gotten the pleasure to meet.

Snaking my arm around his, I return his gesture of good humor. "Yes, we shall Monsieur" I smile coyly.

He carefully leads me out of the room and through the long corridors. I hold onto him as I observe the usual sentries marching about in their uncannily perfect unison, combating distant feelings of suffocation.

As he pulls me further down the hall, the huge doors stationed at the end of the corridor quickly come into view. Floor-to-ceiling panes of stained red glass lay nestled between the sturdy iron frames.

Two armed guards approach, making laborious work of releasing a series of latches and triggers directly connected to the stronghold hinges adorning the edges of both frames. The magnificent contraption finally creaks as it releases, giving way to one of the most single beautiful scenes I have ever set my sights upon.

The first thing that greets me is the strong, warm breeze that caresses my skin in the most delicious way. The air smells of warm rain and dew and each and every one of my senses is heightened by the environment. Ahead of us, rows upon rows of hauntingly beautiful, sharp-thorned roses litter both sides of the trimmed path that began at the entryway and continued on into a thicket of forests further up ahead. The sky is a warm, pastel-pink hue and a huge merlot moon rests just above the horizon.

I am ensnared in a complete state of shock and awe. Never had I imagined a garden so sad, yet so beautiful. Many secrets and mysteries lay on these grounds, and this by far had to have been one of the most entrancing ones.

The still air beckons me forth and I happily oblige, absent-mindedly releasing his arm and marching forward. The sentry man to my right instinctually inches towards me in a way that causes my brow to raise. Hades holds a hand up and he quickly bows, shuffling back into his position. Ignoring the call of caution tugging at the back of my mind, I continue forward onto the edge of the walkway where the dark-cool marble transitions into smooth dirt. Stepping out of my sandals, I allow my feet to rest on the path, absorbing as much of its comforting warmth as I can.

A gleeful chuckle escapes from my lips as I close my eyes and spread my arms out-basking under the mellow glow of the blood-moon. A gentle breeze picks up and ruffles my gown at the sides as I turn back to face Hades. A smile spreads across my face and I shake my head at him in wonder and disbelief.

His own lips twitch and I don't miss the glint in his eyes as he watches me in my reverie. "I truly have no words. It's so beautiful...but in a cursed way" I light-heartedly admit before turning back to the garden.

"The thorns...they won't cut you. You are free to roam around as you please" he hints, egging on my excitement.

I swiftly pad up to the first row of roses and cautiously trail my fingers across the smooth pedals. I run them down to the dark stem.

I slowly reach my pinky towards a tiny thorn poking out from under one of the leaf petals, and briskly run it across the sharp tip of the thorn.

I am met with instant regret as I holler out in pain. I jerk away and hold onto my pulsating finger.

Hades chuckles from behind me. "I said they couldn't cut you. I never said they couldn't still hurt you dear. These roses are stronger than a warden's key", he admonishes enjoying my pain.

I courageously shoot him a dirty look as I rub my throbbing finger. I look back down at it and sure enough, there's isn't a single trace of blood.

He walks up next to me and gently takes my arm.

"Okay, enough of that. I have something more to show you".

He leads me through a small pathway surrounded by rosebushes framing the pathway in an arched wall. He leads me under the arch for a few feet before we finally emerge from the other end.

Ahead lies a huge, beautiful lake surrounded by small black shrubs and greenery.

Over the clear, dark blue water rest several lilies with beautiful red flowers sprouting from their centers.

"Oh my gods. This is so magnificent, Hades!", I breathe out, captivated by the view.

I look back at his smiling face, illuminated by the huge red moon resting in the sky right atop the centre of the lake.

"A magnificent view, for a magnificent queen", he lets out absentmindedly.

I feel my cheeks heating up as I turn back towards the glistening water.

"Come", he says gently as he ushers me to a huge rock lying on the end of the shore.

I hold onto his shoulder as his hands clasp around my waist and hoist me atop the rock, facing the horizon.

He effortlessly climbs up beside me, and dusts his hands off.

After a while of comfortable silence and peering off into the horizon, he breaks the stillness.

"I always come up here...when I need to think. I find it the best view in all of the castle".

I smirk up at him and respond, "I can see why".

I take a deep, relaxing breath as I scan the skyline.

"It's so peaceful, I could stay up here forever" I sigh.

I feel him turning back to face me again, his eyes burning into the side of my head.

I whirl my head around to face him back.

His pupils dilate, as he focuses his eyes on mine. His sharp jaw is being illuminated by the soft red glow of the moon, which also catches and accentuates every single angle on his face.

I can feel my heart rate picking up as desire tugs at me from my core. His eyes move down to my lips for a split second before coming back up to meet my gaze.

"I can feel you heating up",

he mutters hoarsely, his tense tone slightly wavering as he somehow gets closer.

I remain silent and flustered as my hitched breathing gets shakier. I look down at his firm lips, letting my imagination run terribly wild.

I suddenly find myself leaning in until I am startled by a loud rustling noise in the shrubs nearby.

Quickly pulling away, I accidentally tip over the other side of the rock. Hades reflexively grabs onto the front of my dress to stop me from toppling off.

"Woah, what's the hurry", Hades mockingly hoarses as he pulls me back into a sitting position.

Embarrassed, I softly grip onto his strong arm that is still holding my dress.

"Nothing I was just...frightened is all."

He continues to chuckle at my embarrassment.

"It's really not that funny", I chide at him.

I look back down at the swaying shrub as the rustling perseveres. I continue to grip his arm that is still holding my dress, and even hold on with the other arm for extra support. Clutching tighter, I lean lower towards the bustling shrub.

"What is that anyway?", I ask.

Just then, a tiny figure wiggles out from the shrub. A shiny, black bunny emerges holding a few leaves in its mouth.

It looks up at me with shiny black eyes. It then chews down a few times, then hops away into the distance. I let out a breath I hadn't even realized I was holding.

I am just about to turn back to Hades when he briefly releases me before grabbing me again. I let out a loud, strangled cry as I grip his arm to the point that my knuckles turn a sick white.

He is a fit of laughter as I let go with one hand and slap him in the chest.

"NOW THAT, WAS JUST PLAIN DIRTY!", I glare at him as he continues to laugh at me.

When he regains his composure he taunts,

"Oh forgive me, but that was just way too tempting."

I give him another death stare as he adds beginning to chuckle again, "You should have seen your face!"

I swat him in the chest again and utter, "Oh, screw you!"

At that, he raises a brow and his chuckling turns into a smirk. "When?"

"You gutter-minded beast!" I playfully admonish as I smack him in the chest again.

He glances down at where I had just hit him and looks back up at me. "Ouch your highness", he calmly smirks again as he pulls me back to a stable position on the rock.

He lets go of my dress and crosses his arms. As he refocuses his attention back to the water, a carefree smile caressing his lips, making him look the more attractive.

I smooth my dress back out and smile down at myself. Stretching my legs out, I allow myself to carefully lean against his shoulder.

At first he tenses up for a split second, but slowly relaxes as he lets out a sigh. We stay like this for a while, staring off into the now purple sky.

I can tell it is getting late as, the moon seems to be slowly sinking back into the horizon.

Hades turns to me resting on his shoulder.

"Shall we head back inside now?"

I nod in response and let him help me down.

Once I am back on the ground, I let out a long yawn and stretch my arms out.

"That was really nice", I tell Hades as he leads us back through the rosebush-tunnel.

"Thank You" I add softly.

And I truly meant it.  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

536K 5.3K 12
⚠️MATURE READERS ONLY⚠️ DARK ROMANCE ⚠️ "Hush now my drahá. Cease your whimpers." He mutters ocean eyes leaving a trail of scorching fire down my fle...
29K 1.1K 11
[COMPLETE] A Record of Regnarok and Black! Fem Reader Story 🔱 A short story about a beautiful water goddess attempting to live her best life in Atl...
Hades By sarah

Teen Fiction

156K 4.1K 34
They say gut feelings are your guardian angels, Ella Thomas will soon find out that hers was leading her to something she could never imagine existed...
86.9K 2.9K 88
[START : 21 JULY, 2020] [COMPLETE : 19 AUGUST, 2023] #1 in murder #1 in Possessive He kissed me back with urgency, at last pulling my bottom lip bet...