Lavender Monarch has Exactly...

By angelikagrae

Lavender Monarch has exactly thirteen fears. She knows this because she has them written down on a list she c... More

trailer
01. lovesick porridge
02. kumquats and bug nets
03. drunk astronauts
june, I
04. weird curiosity
05. half-finished cans of cherry cola
06. glow in the dark stars
june, II
07. infinity between us
08. indigo
09. burn baby burn
june, III
11. if basset hounds could make wishes
12. tsunami
june, IV
13. china doll
14. mermaids and microwaves
15. brush your teeth
june, V
16. tropical beetles and marmelade
17. butterfly house
18. ladybug
june, VI
19. letters to strangers
20. scrapbooker
21. mint julep
june, VII
22. neon
23. a cat or two
24. salty
june, VIII
25. sand dollars
26. dive
27. maybe by Christmas
june, IX
28. picasso? picasso.
29. you don't get it.
30. snug as a bug in a rug
june, X
june, XI
June, XII
31. pinky promise
32. piggy bank
33. blindfold
34. jack of all fears, master of none
35. i never wanna leave.
36. house of mirrors
37. up, up and away
June XIII
38. i'm doing this for-
end
author's note

10. painting for the queen

94 22 43
By angelikagrae

Patty is a really bad painter.

He's been helping me with the set every day but to be honest it's not that helpful. It's no wonder he dropped Viscom. School has just finished but we were given access to the hall to keep working on it under the promise that we'd behave.

"That's the wrong green!" I exclaim for about the five hundredth time. We have four different greens; one for the ivy, one for the moss, a darker one for shadows and a brighter one for the slime. Patty can hardly tell the difference between any of them and it's driving me crazy. He's using the darkest one on the Ivy leaves which means that his don't match the rest of the plant.

"You can hardly tell," he says stepping back and squinting at it, "It looks exactly the same to me."

"It does not!" I cry taking his paintbrush off him and handing him a new one along with a tub of the right shade. He just shakes his head at me.

"Anyone would think you were painting this for the queen." How dare he insult my masterpiece?

"Excuse me, but the queen would be impressed by this." He just starts laughing and in a fit of annoyance, I grab the tub of grey paint I had been using for the spider webs and dip my fingers in. Before he even realises what's happening I reach out and smudge it directly on his cheek. He pauses for a few seconds in shock, just looking at me closely.

"You just made a big mistake," he says with a smile and I back away slowly. He dips his fingers in his tub without breaking eye-contact. He shakes off the excess paint and takes a step towards me. "You better run," he says and I squeal. He better not put any of that on me! I know I kinda deserve it seeing as I did it to him but that doesn't mean I want the sticky stuff on my face. I dash away from him, placing my bucket of paint down carefully as I go, not wanting to spill anything.

"Don't you dare!" I say as he starts following me with a grin on his face. I'm not the kinda girl to slow down and let him catch me, giggling. You best believe I'm not going down without a fight. I start running across the hall, jumping over the rows of chairs. I can just hear him laughing.

"Geez, you really don't want this on you, huh?" he says. He's just standing there laughing, not even trying to chase me. This just annoys me even more so I go back to my tub of paint deciding to try and get more on him. I edge closer and he just watches me carefully, "I wouldn't do that if I were you," he says. Is that a challenge? I lunge forward again spearing it on his face. I grin triumphantly.

"Ha! Take that." I quickly try to make my escape back down the hall but he grabs my wrist.

"Not so fast," he says laughing and I squirm away from him. He doesn't let me go but instead reaches forward smearing the paint all the way from my forehead down my nose. I erupt into laughter and he does the same, letting go of my wrist.

"Oh my god," I say, reaching up to touch my face, my finger coming back covered in purple paint. He just starts laughing more and I threaten to put it in his hair. We are both standing there looking like a complete mess, the set we were supposed to be working on abandoned.

It's just then that the door to the hall opens and Patty and I both look over to see our drama teacher standing there with a very exasperated expression on her face. I look over at Patty with the paint all over his cheeks and struggle to keep a straight face.

"What do you two think you were doing?" she asks and the sternness of her voice immediately wipes the smiles off my face. We could actually get into trouble for this. Patty and I glance at each other and I gulp.

Whoops. I did get a bit carried away there.

"Clean up this mess right now and go home. You're obviously not working so you can leave. I expect you to be in my office in five minutes and explain to me exactly what's going on." She slams the door behind her. This teacher is well known for not taking crap from students, we really should have been more careful. We were told that if we wanted to paint after school we had to be quiet and not get distracted and most importantly that we couldn't spill paint anywhere. Patty and I quickly pack everything up making sure all the paint is closed so it won't dry up and all the brushes are washed. We are just about to quickly clean our faces off when she opens the door again. She inspects the room and then looks at both of us.

"My office. Now." We walk down the hall in silence behind her but we can't help exchange glances. I haven't really gotten into trouble at school before, it seems Patty is a bad influence on me. His expression suggests that he finds this whole thing is funny. I can see him biting back a smile which results in me giving him the death stare.

In the office, we both sit there solemnly listening to her lecture us about responsibility and having good behaviour. I can hardly take it seriously because we are both still covered in the paint she didn't let us wash off. I'm relieved that she lets us off with just a warning, no detention but we've been banned from painting the set after school again. I'm just glad she didn't do anything drastic like revoke my role in the play but I guess it would be too late notice for that anyway. She finally lets us leave but only after we apologise and make a promise to be more respectful of our privileges and the materials and opportunities provided to us by the school.

Patty insists on walking me home which is nice and all but I'm kind of annoyed with him.

"Do you really think that was funny?" I say as soon as we are out of ear-shot from our office. He holds the door open for me and we walk outside. He's just smirking.

"Yes. It was hilarious. Did you not see her face?" As much as I want to be mad, I do have to admit it was pretty entertaining.

"Fine," I relent, "It was a little bit funny." Okay, it was more than a little but I'm not giving him that satisfaction. The best part was when I got home, my parents gave me such confused looks when I came in but I just walked up to my room in silence. My phone buzzes and I see Patty has sent me the paintbrush emoji. It causes me to burst into a fit of laughter again.

The following day at school, Patty and I spend the lunchtime painting seeing as we've now had our afterschool privileges taken away from us. The only downside is that now Ms Clarke is always watching us with her hawk eyes and trying to join in on our private conversations. 

"Are you sure about that role?" she asks me again as I sketch out some tiles on the backdrop, "this is the final offer before I give it to Hannah and I just know she won't do as well as you." Why does she expect me to be good, anyhow? I haven't acted a line in my life!

"I've told you no," I mutter in frustration. What doesn't she understand? She's really starting to push my limits here. I know that if I accepted, as soon as I got on stage and see the crowd that I'll freeze up, forget my lines and look like an idiot.

"I have an idea," she says and winks at me. I shake my head as she trods off not knowing what she's on about. 

"Awww Lavender, c' mon. Live a little!" Patty says and I glare at him.

"If you want me to act so bad, then why don't you volunteer for a role?" I snap. I smirk at him in satisfaction. There is nothing he can say against that. He would never perform, what and make all his jock buddies think he's an idiot? No way. He raises his eyebrows at me. 

"Fine, I will." He's bluffing. He's totally bluffing. 

"Okay then. Why don't you tell Ms Clarke as soon as she gets back here?"

"Maybe I will," he says before turning his back to me. I hold back the urge to laugh. Ms Clarke comes over and claps her hands in delight. I watch her suspiciously. 

"Lavender, come this way." I put the paintbrush down and follow after her. I glance back in annoyance when I see Patty is following me. 

"Here. Isn't it perfect?" she asks, gesturing to the front of the stage. She's set up a little TV there that you could see when you're performing. "Now we can just put all your lines on there and you won't have to worry about forgetting them on stage." I open my mouth to protest but before I can speak Patty interrupts me. 

"I'm sure that will be perfect for Lavender. She'd love to perform and as for me, I'd like to as well." He crosses his arms and stares at me challengingly. Ms Clarke's face lights up. 

"Oh, that's just wonderful! It'll be perfect." She grins and tots off the stage happily. Patty winks at me and walks back down of the stage. I stand up there in resignation knowing there's nothing I can do about it. After all, it's my fault for underestimating Patty. 

Ms. Clarke grins at me when I wander into the hall the next morning.

"Ah, there's my little star," she says and I take my seat awkwardly. She delegates the rest of the roles and hands the scripts out. I glance over it but the words jump around like crickets. I can't make any sense of it. She immediately tells us to all stand and jump up on the stage to give it a go. I swallow the bile that threatens to rise up in my throat. I should never have agreed to this.

"You did a great job," Patty says smiling as I walk off the stage. 

"Thanks," I say, smiling back. "You too." He's always being so sweet to me and it's getting harder and harder to ignore the growing affection I have towards him. 

For the entire week at school, I spend every spare moment on the play. We have so much to get done and I think I might explode like a supernova. At least then the anxiety would be gone and I could just drift peacefully in pieces through space.

I sigh. It looks like I'm really going to have to perform.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5M 72.2K 86
[FREE STORY with paid bonus content] Kathy thought she had her entire life figured out, until she realizes that, in order to find herself, she must u...
14.9K 554 49
Kimora Jones believes she has everything she would want in terms of basic needs. Work, friendship, and love are all important aspects of one's life...
2.8K 99 26
Gianna has a pretty decent life as a teenager in high school she has her best friends Mavis and Karan by her side she has a good grades and a okay...
3.9K 267 51
Moving to a new town , new school and making new friends April had to do it all but... With zero memories to her past. She doesn't remember where s...