Greatest Curse (Book 2)

By fictionowl

[Jasper Falls Saga: Book 2] This book is part of a series and must be read in a specific labeled order. Pleas... More

Complicated
Do Something
The Kiss
More to Him
Conquer Fear
Peek Inside His Darkness
A Troubled Beta
Scars
What Friends Are For
Bennett, Bentley, Chester, and Asher
Reconciliation
Even the Odds
Bambi, Nightmares, and Thank You
Mystery Wolf
Scars Run Deep
A Messy Gala
Trouble This Way Comes
The Way Things Are
Something's Lurking
Peace Interrupted (Part 1)
Peace Interrupted (Part 2)
Enemy Territory
It's A Trap
The Mole (Part 1)

Asher and Laken

4.2K 210 54
By fictionowl

(Asher)

"There's a water-"

What was he trying to say then? Lance was proving to me where his loyalty really lay, and it wasn't with the side his father had chosen.

Water.

Water...

A waterfall? Were we somewhere with a waterfall close by? If that were the case, we'd be up in the mountains closer to the southern border of the town where it was mostly wildlife territory.

Taking a deep breath, I glanced over to where Laken lay on his side, head resting on my lap. He was still pretty shaken and seemed to only be able to calm down if he was physically close to me. He'd dozed off close to an hour ago and since then, I'd been plotting and putting together a plan of escape.

Careful not to awaken the sub, I fished out the folded napkin from my back pocket and unfolded the delicate paper.

It was a map.

A layout of the building we were kept in. Lance had neatly sketched out the underground level of the building where Laken and I were kept, and the level above us. The blueprint was complete was corridors and hallways, and even shorthand notes scribbled here and there pinpointing the areas I should either avoid or would have to resort to knocking out a few guys.

Kill, if need be.

My gaze flitted to the sleeping sub.

Kill, definitely. If I knocked them out, we'd probably never make it out.

Folding the napkin, I returned it to its hiding place in my back pocket, resting my head against the cool wall. Closing my eyes, I focused all my other senses into my surroundings. My hearing and sense of smell.

I focused on the scents around me, my nose wrinkling in disgust at the scent of moss mixed in with dust and quite possibly urine and a few other unpleasant odours I'm sure came from dead and rotted rodents. We were in an enclosed area so my sense of smell would only get me so far. And in such a foul smelling place, my lungs burned for a breath of fresh, clean air.

My hearing took me further, accompanied by the scuttling and squeaking of a rat zooming past the cell's gateway and through the bars of the gate that sealed us below. It's claws scraped against concrete, ascending and then scratching against wood.

The door that led down to the underground level.

I focused my hearing beyond that, to the muffled voices up on the next level.

Well, of course, they damn well wouldn't leave the building unguarded.

Straining my hearing, I managed to pick up on a few words here and there. Most of it was nonsense and plain old talk conversations, but I did manage to catch a few that made sense and related to something useful.

"...taken..."

"...it's...trap...we'll trade."

"Them...for...guys..."

"...not..."

"...make...believe..."

Over my dead body. Guess I need to get out of here before they decide to find us. But if Lance was really on our side, surely he would know, and he would warn them.

Still, I couldn't just wait to be rescued. Laken believes we need to wait. He has faith that his mate would come for him. I didn't want to diminish that faith, so I said nothing. I just kept quiet while I plotted our escape.

Expelling another sigh, my jaw clenched as fatigue settled in, firmly gripping me down and pulling me into a black nothingness. My sleep would remain light given location and circumstance. But if I'm to make a move tonight, I'd need that strength.

**

The door slammed open then, jerking me awake.

For how long did I sleep?

Focusing on my hearing and scents, I realized the cell had become a lot colder. Laken hadn't moved a muscle and my legs and hips were stiff and aching from sitting in one position for so long.

The sounds of footsteps soon followed, clambering down the concrete steps, echoing throughout the corridor. It was followed up with the jingle of keys, the gate opening, and the footsteps soon resumed.

Lance.

I recognized his footfalls. Light and relatively quiet, amplified by the echo effect of this level. His footfalls came to a halt just outside the cell and he opened the gate.

"Wake up!" he ordered sharply.

Opening my eyes, I gently nudged Laken on the shoulder. He came to, turning about and scooting up against the wall in a sitting position.

"A late, light dinner. It's almost time." he informed, handing over the tray that contained more sandwiches and something other than water. I raised an eyebrow, lifting one of the bottles of coca cola. Lance grinned.

"Caffeine and sugar. I know you're tired, hopefully it will be enough of an extra boost." He motioned to the bottle I held. "Once you get out, mask your scent and get rid of the scents that cover you. It would make tracking you more difficult. Good luck."

Lance fished around in his pockets before holding out his palm in which he held the ideal tool of a thief. "I can't give you the key. Pick the lock."

I accepted it. "What time is it?"

"Just minutes to midnight." he replied with an innocent grin when I grimaced as my stomach rumbled viciously. That would explain the ferocious hunger.

Lance nodded as he turned and left, closing the gate and locking it.

"Not going to tell me?" I asked before he could run away. It was the one other question I'd been going over since he left this morning.

Who were they using against him? How important could this person be that he would subject himself to a lifestyle like this?

I'd been told Lance's relationship with his father was anything but loving. The man abused and used his authority over him to control his son. And now, I bore witness to it. Lyle didn't care about the obvious trauma he'd put his own son through.

Lance smiled, but it was one that broke my heart. It held so much emotion. So much sadness, but at the same time, so much love and respect. Whomever the person was, they meant a lot to Lance.

I had come to two conclusions on who it might be. Conclusion one wasn't likely as I hadn't seen or heard proof of a mate. So that was unlikely. The second option had to be a family member.

"My mom." he replied softly, his tone of voice telling me just how much he loved her and would do just about anything to keep her safe.

I returned a smile of my own. "Good luck."

Lance nodded in return and swiftly took his leave. We got to eating, the sub thoroughly enjoying his share of the sandwiches and his one bottle of coca cola. He ate in small bites though, almost as if he thought we would spend another day and night in this filthy cell.

My dinner was gone in a matter of minutes, Laken staring at me in awe. "How can you eat so fast?" he mused; eyes wide as he watched me guzzle all the contents of my bottle in a matter of moments.

"You should eat quickly too. And get some more rest. We're getting out of here."

"I really think we should wait for Dale." Laken returned, nibbling on his sandwich. I raised an eyebrow.

Did he really not get it?

"I can't wait around for saving. If I'm getting the chance to get us out of here, I'll take it. Risks and all."

"What if you get hurt, Asher?"

"It'll heal. Trauma is a long-term side effect I'm not ready to deal with. Are you?" I fired at him. Laken's eating ceased, and his shoulders drooped, gaze glued to the ground for a few moments before he glanced to me out the corner of his eye.

He shook his head. "No. You're absolutely right." His earlier withdrawn demeanour forgotten, he ripped into the remains of his dinner with newfound vigour and determination. He chewed quickly until there were no crumbs left. "We're getting out of here."

**

"Laken." I called softly, gently shaking his shoulder. The sub came awake, blinking away the sleep as he turned to face me. "It's time." I said, helping sit up against the wall. He yawned then, rubbing at his face.

"Is it safe?"

No it wasn't.

But for the most part, yes.

"Relatively." I replied honestly, and he shrugged. I motioned for him to stay where he was while I moved over to the cell's gate and pulled the hair pins and paper clips from my pocket. I kneeled, reaching my arm through the bars and fingering my way to the keyhole.

Keeping on hand against the keyhole, I grabbed a hair pin with the other and brought it up, and then inside. It took a few tries, and it only showed just how incompetent I was at picking locks.

Guess that was one thing I would need to work on once we got out of here.

Maybe I'll ask Jaxon. He has a damn rap sheet for crying out loud. Most of them were petty crimes typical of teenage rebellion.

Others, not so much. And it proved to me just how badly off he was during that one year. He went looking for trouble and made damn sure to find it. It was as though he'd lost the will to live and was just seeking to make a death wish come true.

Two bent paperclips and one broken hair pin later, the lock finally clicked. Grabbing onto the bars, I stilled, focusing my hearing on any sound from the floor above us.

Nothing.

It was quiet, save for the quiet murmur of two voices caught up in old talk conversation, and the low hum of a radio playing music.

My strength was relatively okay. That is, my mediocre human ability. Considering I was running up against how many werewolves with sapped strength, and my future Luna behind me, a miracle would have to come through. And I'm hoping it did.

It will, if I managed to get my hands on some form of weapon. Guns and blades would do just fine.

Getting to my feet, I decided to do a test run on my current state just to ensure I wouldn't have to rely completely on manmade weaponry. Holding my hand out, I tried to shift somewhat, expelling a chuckle of relief when my claws came out. I knew I didn't possess the energy to go the full ride, so for now, I'm stuck in human form.

But at least I would have claws and fangs to my advantage. And I knew how to make good use of them, too.

I beckoned Laken forward and the sub scrambled to his feet, warily approaching me as though unsure about this entire plan. He was expecting it to sideways, but I wouldn't let our escape be in vain.

"Mask your scent." I ordered, and once he did, I followed. Of course, it wouldn't be that easy. We smelt of filth and in my case, dried blood. They could still use that to track us which meant heading in the direction of the waterfall to wash away any traces of scent external, extra scents.

I grabbed hold his hand, motioning for him to be quiet, which meant watching how hard he breathed, watching his steps and trying to make as little noise as possible. We made it to the other gateway that confined us to the level. Getting down on my knees, I out the hair pin and since I had practice with the last lock, this one was easy peasy. The lock clicked and the gate creaked softly causing us to grimace. Laken gasped, and I steadied the gate quickly glancing toward the stairway just ahead and listening for any approaching footfalls from the floor above.

Nothing.

Expelling a deep breath, I pushed the gate open as quietly as possible cringing each time it squeaked and creaked.

Surely someone upstairs would have heard that, and it led us to stilling our movements yet again as we listened.

Still nothing?

What? Were they sleeping on the job or something?

Ugh! They're making this zero fun!

We crept up the steps and I motioned for Laken to stay behind as I tested the knob, turning it as slowly as possible to reduce the amount of noise it might make. The door was unlocked, and my guess is that they didn't expect there to be a mole within their ranks, they didn't expect our possible escape, or on the other side of this door, an army of Tobias' men awaited the opportunity for ambush.

Poking my head out into the corridor, I noted that it was a short one with other entryways that led to other rooms. The radio got louder and seemed to be coming from two doors down. I cautiously stepped out, beckoning Laken forward as I focused on my sense of smell and hearing pinpointing the exact whereabouts of whoever was inside the building with us. Over the radio, I heard two voices, both male, and from the sounds of it, they were full grown men.

Maybe one of them has a weapon I can use. Relying on my claws and fangs were taxing enough as it would continue to sap what little energy and strength I had at the moment.

When we made it back home, I was going comatose for a few days. That's how exhausted I felt.

We approached the room, and of course, we could have gotten past since their backs were turned to the entryway. But I needed to arm myself and Laken since he wasn't as trained as me. Pressing a finger to my lips, I motioned for him to stay put as I rounded the entryway and stepped inside, keeping my footfalls light. They didn't hear or see me approaching heavily conversating about trade, the economy, and politics.

For a split second, I wondered about strategy. Should I go for the neck with my claws?

But then I'd alert everyone else inside the building once they caught scent of the spilt blood. Either way, blood would have to spilled, but just not yet. I had to buy us some time and get further than here.

My footfalls light, I crept up behind the first guy and locked my hands around his neck sharply twisting it, a dull crack echoing as the guy slumped forward. The other guy was already on his feet, the chair knocked back and he brandished a large blade, swaying it about to intimidate me.

Nice try.

The blade I used to kill during that attack on Sunday was larger than the one he wielded.

"Sorry to break it to ya, kid. But I can't let you leave." the man said. I scoffed at that, walking backwards as we sized the other up, assessing and waiting for an opportunity of attack.

"Sorry to break it to ya, guy. But I don't go down so easily." I mocked, and that seemed to piss him off because would you believe it that dominants weren't fond of being spoken down to by a sub?

It made them crazy, crazy angry.

He swung his left fist out which I blocked with my right, seeing past his plan to bury the blade into me. I blocked his arm with my left leaving his midsection open for attack. I drove my knee into his stomach making him double over and grunt in pain, his face screwing up in pain as I harshly brought my forehead down across his. Shaking my head to clear away the stars I saw, I brought my elbow down right at the centre of his forehead. He stumbled to his knees, eyes rolling to the back of his head and he dropped like stale bread, the large blade slipping away from his grasp.

Staying focused on my sense of smell and hearing, I listened for any incoming assailants while as I grabbed up the blade and searched them both, and around the room for a gun. I found two lying on the table not far away.

Checking the magazine for how many bullets, I went over to the entryway and grabbed hold of Laken's elbow, pulling him into the room. He gasped, about ready to scream but I quickly clamped a hand over his mouth. His urge to scream dissipated the moment he registered the person holding onto him.

"Can you fire a gun?" I asked softly. Laken twisted his lips.

"My aim isn't very good." he admitted. I gave him the pistol.

"That's fine. Hopefully you won't have to fire it, but just hold on to it. The safety's off."

Laken nodded, staying as close to me as possible as I grabbed hold of his hand and we migrated further down the corridor.

On Lance's map, it showed the corridor we were in now. The rooms afterward were what would have been the staff kitchen, and two more offices. To exit the building, I had to turn left which would take us into the main lobby and foyer. But just because we might make it to the lobby didn't mean there would be no wolves guarding and patrolling nearby.

It was the main reason I had decided to execute the plan at such an ungodly hour. We could use the cover of night to blend in with out surroundings. And even though werewolves had sharper vision in darkness than a human, we would still be able to put distance between us, this place and our pursuers.

I stopped as we approached what would have been the staff kitchen. The door was open, and I could hear someone on the other side, quietly munching on something which was accompanied by the rattling of foil paper. Peeking to the side, once again, like the two before, this one had his back toward the door while he sat at the small round table, fiddling with edge of the foil wrapper.

Yeah...

They were making this super easy.

Swiftly marching forward whilst keeping my footfalls light, I clamped my arms down around his neck clamping a hand over his mouth and nose to muffle his struggles. I held on with everything I had struggling to keep him grounded until finally he went limp. Moving back, he slumped forward unconscious. Hopefully by the time someone found him, or he woke up on his own, Laken and I would be home free.

Just for extra measure, I poked the guy's back only to receive a loud snore in response.

Good. He's out cold.

I headed back, moving toward the two office rooms with Laken close behind, the sub gripping onto my shirt as I led the way. The first office we came to, the door was closed but I still tried the knob just in case for whatever reason, there was someone inside who chose to close it. The door was locked.

Less trouble for me.

We moved toward the next where the door was open, and voices emanated from within the room. Laughter sounded and a moment later, heavy footfalls could be heard accompanying the boisterous laughter coming toward the door. Keeping Laken behind me, I had the blade at the ready as a tall dominant male exited the room. His eyebrows drew up in confusion as his gaze landed on us before he cursed sharply.

"What the fuck!" he cursed, making me growl as he moved forward, swiftly swinging a wild right hook. I dodged.

Laken moved with me as the dominant came forward again by now having roused the alert and curiosity of the other men inside the room as two more followed to investigate the commotion.

The dominant caught me by the neck, slamming me against the wall. And since Laken was behind me, he got caught, whimpering as he collected the brunt of the force. Twirling the blade, I jabbed it into the dominant's side. He howled in pain, staggering back and clutching his side where the material there was quickly drenched in dark red. Lunging forward, I swung the blade slashing his throat, barely dodging the second guy that came at me.

The third dominant took advantage of the temporary distance between Laken and I, proceeding to grab hold of the sub and drag him back the way we had come. Sidestepping the dominant I currently fought, I brought my knee up to his solar plexus making him double over just in time that I buried the blade in the side of his neck. He joined the other one, gurgling blood and fighting for his life.

I drew my hand back.

"Duck!" I shouted, and Laken did as ordered even over all his struggling and fighting. The blade went swivelling through the air implanting itself in the dominant's shoulder. He staggered back, losing his grip on Laken as I broke into a run with my claws out. Barrelling into him, I slashed at his throat leaving him to fight for whatever last few moments he had left. I pulled the blade out of his shoulder, wiping away the blood on the dominant's shirt.

Laken and I made headway for the end of the corridor, taking up the gun on the way out. We hadn't turned the corner when we bumped into another. I acted fast, gripping his chin and slamming him back against the wall driving the blade through him at least three times.

As we turned the corner, I gasped, moving back and shoving Laken against the wall opposite me as a bullet harmlessly zipped through the air. Growling, I ran forward, jumping at the bastard who had the nerve to shoot at us. He dropped the gun, and we rolled in a fury of fists and claws and growls.

The dominant pushed me off, scrambling toward where the gun had fallen buying enough time for me to get to my feet so that when next he turned, he was met with a fist from above. He dropped unconscious, the gun once again slipping away. By now, it had drawn the attention of the others patrolling and guarding nearby. Upon hearing their steady approach. Laken ran up to me just as I grabbed hold of his hand ducking behind the office desk to the side just as a group of three dominants entered the space.

Laken and I crawled around to the other side while the dominants walked further inside the building. Peeking around the corner of the desk, my gaze landed on the legs of the dominant guarding the doorway.

Taking a deep breath, I got to my hands and knees, crawling forward first before lunging, barrelling my shoulder into the dominant's midsection. He grunted loudly capturing the attention of the other dominant. The third guy had moved further into the building.

Crouching low, I slashed the blade at his thighs, and he howled in pain, his legs giving out as he crumbled to the floor, effectively impaling his throat on the awaiting blade.

"You little fuck!" the other guy screamed.

Oopsy! Guess I killed someone important to him.

He charged toward me, brandishing and wielding a blade similar to the blood caked one I held. Getting to my feet, I squared my shoulders looking the dominant up and down. He was a big guy and if he had a worthy skill set, he'd be a tough challenge.

The guy then smirked, lowering his blade.

"Asher Stone. Marcana's next fourth-in-command. I hear you're quite the fighter." he taunted, making me raise an eyebrow. The guy sheathed the blade. "How about we test that?"

Ugh! You're kidding, right?

What was it and everyone wanting to test my worth as the next fourth-in-command of my pack? Did they doubt my skill because of the colour of my hair? That unlike my predecessors, I was born a sub? Is that it?

Nevermind.

We had to get out of here, but I didn't mind humbling a dominant or two before I sent them to the moon goddess.

Setting the blade down, I assumed a stance for fight as did the man before me.

"Asher..." I heard Laken call uneasily from near the desk where he remained hidden for the most part.

"Interesting." the dominant drawled, a twisted kind of amusement in his eyes that flickered between Laken and I. "Trying to prove your worth, sub? Protecting the future Luna is a tough job." he taunted.

"Nothing I haven't done in the past. Now shut up and fight." I barked, and not a second later, he came barrelling into me, sweeping me clean off the ground and charging forward. I grimaced, grunting as he drove me into the desk.

Before he could get away, I pulled him into a headlock, holding on despite the sharp punches to my side. I yelped then when he slammed me down, my body feeling as though he'd shattered every bone in my back. My grip loosened and he yanked me off the table as I crumbled to the floor on my knees. He yanked my head by, balling his fist and driving it to my face. My head snapped to the side, but before he could try to kick me, I slid through his legs, grabbing his ankles.

He face planted, groaning from his now busted and bleeding nose. It gave me the upper hand as I moved forward sinking my knee into his back and grabbing hold of his head.

"I don't fight fair." I said before snapping his neck.

I unsheathed the blade at the dominant's side, getting to my feet and motioning for Laken to come out of his hiding place.

"Let's go home."

The other dominants within the building I had knocked out had come to thanks to that one guy who went further inside than his now dead buddies. I could hear the outrage behind us as one shouted at the other to phone for back up while him and the third guy pursued us.

"Don't look back! Just keep running!" I ordered, tightening my hold on the sub's hand and pulling him along behind me. We ran into the cover of the trees, my hearing leading me further west to where I could hear the distance trickle and swoosh of water.

We ran as hard as we could, and I knew I was pushing Laken past his limits but what other choice did I have?

Slow down and risk getting caught.

"Asher..." Laken wheezed, his breathing coming in shallow and his footing getting clumsy.

"Come on! We're almost at the waterfall."

"I can't..." he wheezed, beginning to cough and pulling us to a stop. "I can't breathe!" he whimpered, making fanning movements with his hands as if trying to fan more oxygen into his lungs. "I need a moment to catch my breath."

"They're not far behind, Laken." I scolded unintentionally, the approaching sounds of multiple footfalls meeting my hearing, accompanied by growls and snarls.

Fuck! They shifted into wolf form.

"They've shifted. If we stay here longer, we won't make it to the waterfall."

"Okay, fine. Let's go then!" he shot back, taking a huge gulp of air, sticking his hand in mine. I pulled him along, continuing west zigzagging around trees and jumping down earthen bumps and ledges. The air got colder, and I could now smell that fresh water as we broke through a couple trees, the flow of water now louder than it was.

"Get ready to jump!"

"What!" Laken shouted, stumbling slightly. Glancing back behind us as we came to a stop allowing Laken to ground his balance, I saw a fee wolves break through the trees.

"It's now or never! Jump!" Pulling him along, I broke into a sprint toward the waterfall.

"Wait-" Laken shouted, breaking off into a scream as we leaped off the edge and plunged down into the pool below. We broke the surface, Laken gasping for air and spluttering curses at me.

"I'll kill you!" he shot, lightly shoving my shoulder as he coughed as began to swim toward the banks. Glancing up, two wolves stood atop the waterfall growling and snarling down at us while another three ran about the length searching for a way down. My gaze followed on wolf who ran further than the others where the side wasn't as steep as the rest of the wall. The wolf tested his footing and once he was sure he wouldn't slip all the way down, he howled for the others.

Shit!

Swimming to shore, I shook away as much water as I could, noting that Laken's eyes were wide as he stared at where the wolves were carefully slipping and stepping their way down. They'd have to swim to get to the banks but that might buy us some time.

"Kill me later. Let's go before they cross over."

The sub nodded holding onto my hand as I led the way. The headland to the beach wouldn't be far now. As long as we put enough distance between them and us, we'd make it to the beach no problem. And since it was closer to the human population of Jasper Falls, they might fall back or switch forms. Once we made it to the beach, we could either go the beach houses Marcana owned, or push further until we could lose them in town.

We ran for what felt like miles and once I was sure we'd put enough distance between us and those Blackwater wolves, I slowed my running gradually coming to a halt and jumping down to where there was an earthen dome just below us. I helped Laken down, and we clambered into the small earthen cave.

"Take a moment to catch your breath. I think we've built enough distance."

Laken nodded, dropping his head against the earthen wall, cheeks puffing and his face red, blonde hair a mess as he tried to steady his breathing and return his heart rate to normalcy.

"Not too much. They'll be on us soon enough. And the sun's coming up. We don't have much darkness to hide us." he observed, blowing sharp puffs of air and then sucking in larger ones. Laken ran his fingers through his ruffled blonde hair, his expression uneasy.

"Think we can make it?" His voice was soft and fearful.

"Yes."

"Do you think they're trying to find us?"

I frowned at his unusual question. "Of course. Dale loves you. He's probably going out of his mind right now knowing you might be in danger, and that you're scared. Why would you even ask that?"

"I don't know. Probably because...I've always had to live up to expectations set by someone else. First my parents because my older brothers are all dominants with influential ranks. And now Dale and all of Marcana. Everyone expects me to just know how to be a Luna just because Dale's my mate. He just made me so mad. He expects so much from me and I hate being placed on pedestals I can't hope to climb."

Laken sniffled, fiddling his fingers.

"Anyway...we got into a big fight the night before the attack. Said some hurtful things. I said that I hated being his mate, and I hated what it does to me. The stress of trying to fulfil my role as future Luna, and having been pressured all my life, I just couldn't take it anymore. And I just snapped. I said that in the beginning, I didn't even want to be his mate and I hated the idea if it. I said I didn't want to see him for a while."

Laken was crying now, tears freely streaming down his face, and the heartbreak he felt was reflected in his eyes. "He looked so hurt. So angry. He didn't even look at me. Of course I came to and realized how harsh I sounded and tried to apologize. But he was so mad. He raised his voice at me for the first time since we've been together, and he told me to get out of his house. That we really should just stay away from one another for a while."

Laken expelled a shaky breath, desperately seeking to reign in his emotions. "What if we never make it home? What if I never see him again? Or worse...what if we get home and this time, he's not even worried?"

"Laken." I called softly, making him wipe away his tears and snot as he looked to me. "You're talking shit." I deadpanned and he stared at me in disbelief probably thinking I possessed no shred of empathy.

"If you think one stupid fight is going to make Dale hate you, you're wrong. Have you ever seen the way the guy looks at you? He's whipped, Laken. He looks at you as though you're the centre of his universe. And since he loves you as much as everyone sees, he's going out of his mind wondering if he will get to you in time."

"Then why don't I feel anything? Surely I would have felt something about his feelings. Instead, I get nothing. What about you? Do you have any idea what Jaxon's going through?"

I chuckled. "Yes. Jaxon's losing his mind over what happened the night before. But did you ever think that maybe Dale is trying to be strong? For you?"

Laken pursed his lips. "How can you know that?" I smiled, patting my chest over my heart.

"Because Jaxon is trying to be strong for my sake. And I felt his struggle to remain calm."

"I didn't feel that."

"Because Dale has always been a master at suppressing his emotions."

Focusing my hearing, I heard the howls of Blackwater wolves indicating they were growing fed up and tired of chasing us. They had lost our scents and lost sight of us, and from how faraway the howls sounded, there was still some distance.

The woodland was slowly stirring and coming to life as small animals scuttled by and chirps of early birds greeted the tiny beams of sunlight peeking through the trees and stretching across the woodland floor. Overhead, a flock of parrots soared through the air, their noisy song adding to awakening of the woodland.

Now seemed like a good time.

"Come on. Let's go see our mates."

Emerging from out small earthen cave to ensure the coast was clear, I glanced around motioning for Laken to stay put as my gaze swept the area.

I did a double take when my eyes landed on a large gray wolf tottering about nearby some trees. The wolf's head snapped up and I cursed sharply as the wolf suddenly howled giving away its location and effectively, ours.

"Laken! Run!" I ordered, clambering up the side of the small earthen dome and coming face to face with the snarling Blackwater wolf.

"What about you?" Laken's terrified voice met my ears as the wolf lunged forward, tackling me. Laken screamed. Keeping my arms up, I blocked his attacks from my face, but my forearms paid the price as his teeth sunk in my flesh, nipping and tearing, making blood splatter.

"Just go! I'm right behind you!"

"I won't leave you like this!" he shot back, and I heard him fumbling with something and a moment later the sound of a gunshot echoed through the woodland, successfully scaring away any animals nearby.

The wolf jumped away from me, giving enough time for me to scramble to my feet. Laken held the gun over his head. The one I'd given him at the building miles back, but he'd completely missed the wolf. I assumed he had fired with the intention if getting its attention the direction the barrel was pointed.

Up.

And thanks to his distraction, it bought me time to go for the kill as I lunged forward wielding the blade for its throat. Blood spurted, coating the blade's edge and dripping to the woodland floor.

"Run!" I ordered, spinning on my heel and breaking into a sprint not bothering to linger. Whether to ensure the wolf collapsed dead, or if more wolves pursued. "Faster!"

I caught up to Laken, grabbing hold of his hand and pulling him along. He stumbled a few times, barely managing to keep pace but after a few skids and slides, he righted his bearings and matched his speed with mine.

We broke through the trees the headland coming into the view just a ways ahead when I suddenly halted. Laken gasped, gripped onto my arm as out gaze landed on a large brown wolf tottering about and blocking the pathway to safety.

The wolf was gorgeous. Big, and fluffy, with a healthy chestnut coloured pelt that reflected its strength and health in the shine of its coat. The wolf's gaze zeroed in on us, brilliant blue eyes scanning us up and down, its equally fluffy chestnut tail gently swaying behind it as it carefully approached us in a nonthreatening swagger.

I could hear the Blackwater wolves break through the trees behind us, effectively cornering us. A low, threatening growl emanated from ahead, snatching our attentions back to the brown wolf that was now crouched in a warrior's stance, head high and teeth bared, snapping and snarling. But its intelligent blue eyes weren't focused on us.

"Asher!" a voice called. A strangled cry escaped my lips and I had to restrain myself from bolting forward and leaving Laken as that handsome voice washed over me like a tidal wave.

"Run further north. The headland is lower. Go! He's waiting for you." the brown wolf instructed, and I stared stunned recognizing the voice. "I'll hold them off." Bennett assured, barking then and motioning his wolf head on his left.

I turned, taking Laken with me as I faced the surrounding Blackwater wolves.

"And leave you here. Eight against one?"

They'd called in reinforcements to help their search go faster.

Suddenly, from behind the surrounding wolves, a hulking black wolf leaped out from the surrounding brush and tackled the wolf closest, clamping powerful jaws down onto its hind leg. The attacked wolf howled, whimpering in pain under the sound of a sickening crack and it crumbled to the ground.

The other wolves separated, splitting into groups of four and three, one assessing Bennett, and the others assessing the black wolf.

I had to wonder. Just what kind of wolf was this guy? To break a full grown wolf's leg with just one bite?

"He isn't alone. We can handle it from here."

"Get to Dale and Jaxon!" another voice said, and I turned to see a fluffy, deep brown monstrosity come running up to Bennett. I recognized the wolf as Carter.

Together, like a unit working in sync, Carter and Bennett swiftly moved around us heading into the heart of the attack. They stayed strong, supporting the other and providing back up for Tucker. Watching Carter and Bennett fight together, you'd have never guessed they hated each other. It was like watching a live action battle sequence where one left off for another, the other finished.

Shaking my head, I grabbed hold of Laken's hand once again and headed north, running along the headland where it gradually began to slope down.

"Asher!"

Glancing over the headland, I saw Jaxon standing on the shore below, frantically waving his arms.

"Baby..."

Laken and I pushed forward, tears threatening to burst free from how relieved I felt. I was so close to him it physically hurt. Jaxon mimicked our movements, matching our speed down on the beach as he ran due north as well.

"Dale!" Laken screamed suddenly, making me gasp when he ripped his hand out of my grasp and pushed on harder. Further down the beach and clambering up the sloping headland, a tall figure with black hair could be seen breaking into a haphazard sprint once he'd made it up the low lying slope.

It was Dale.

And higher up the beach, advancing to where we currently were, was a group of consisting of Black Rock, Blackwater- Tucker's allies- and Marcana wolves. Among them were Isaiah, Chad, and Hunter; all three men sporting livid paternal expressions.

Are we in trouble?

Dale met his mate halfway, Laken jumping into his arms. The sub wrapped his arms and legs around the larger male, all tears and apologies while Dale was too relieved to say much of anything resorting to tightly holding onto his tiny mate.

Finally reaching the low lying slope, Jaxon met me there, holding his arms up to me. Crouching, I fell forward throwing my arms around his next and clinging to him tightly. I was so grateful to be back in his arms where I was safe and loved that the tears broke before against my will as I buried my face in his neck, deeply inhaling that spicy, masculine scent that was warm and pleasant and such a turn on all the same.

"Shit baby. I'm so sorry. I should've come to find you. Dammit! If only I had been stronger you'd never had been taken." He scolded himself, clutching me tightly to his chest.

"Just shut up, West." I growled, smashing my lips against his in a scorching kiss. He returned it with equal passion and fervour, and I began to feel the slightest of stirrings down there.

Not me. I was too exhausted at this point to get turned on. But Jaxon...

Boy...I hope he's prepared for when I recover and rest up.

"You better be ready, big boy." I growled against his mouth making him chuckle as he moved a strand of hair out of my eyes.

"For what?"

"For when I rest up. I'm gonna mount and ride you so hard and long, you'll see stars for days." I replied, my voice low and as seductive as my exhaustion would allow me to be. Jaxon closed his eyes, his forehead pressed to mine as he caressed my hands cupping his face.

"Not until you tell me the name of the fucker who touched you." he growled lowly, my pants suddenly getting a bit tighter as the possessive edge to his voice. He finally took notice of my arms, gently cradling them and inspecting the blood and scratches. "And piece of shit who did this."

Gods! He was so hot when he got possessive and protective.

"What exactly are you gonna do?"

"Kill them. What else? They touched what's mine. I have the right to defend my mate. I should've marked you the last time we had sex."

I growled, pressing my lips to his. "You're so fucking hot. Keep this up and I'll mount you right here and now."

Jaxon raised an eyebrow. "I'm serious Ash. Tell me who the fuck he is."

His muscles were tensed, fists clenched, brows pinched, and a muscle furiously throbbed in his jaw. I shook my head.

"No."

"Don't take this away from me, dammit!" he raged, stepping back.

"Jax, baby!" I called, trying to keep him calm as I pulled him close placing my hands on his shoulder. "It'll be a waste of time."

His nostrils flared. "Why?"

I smiled a knowing grin. "Because there is someone else who deserves that opportunity. And besides," I said, motioning to the wounds on my forearms, "I took care of this one."

I had figured it out. Thinking back to a conversation almost four months ago when Blackwater first arrived to Jasper Falls. Their first day at our school, and the conversation that transpired that faithful lunch period thrown in with all I observed within the last twenty-four hours.

That opportunity went to Lance who had put up with his father, that dirty, sick fuck, for long enough. Not having a good relationship with his father, his mother leaving Blackwater and then Lyle using his mother's safety to control him. Lance had said he was bidding his time and then, I had no idea what the hell that meant until now.

Lance was patiently awaiting his moment, like a python that had laid the perfect trap for an unsuspecting prey.

"Who could deserve it more than me? B said it was same person who raped Bentley. I have enough rage building inside me for two mates, Ash. Do you think it's right for whoever he is to do that to me twice in a lifetime and get away each time?"

Cupping his face, I made him look at me. "No, it's not. But he'll get his dues. Besides, if I tell you, gods know what you'll do. And after what I just went through, I would rather have you within my sights reassuring me that I have a bit of normalcy. Is that so hard to do?" Leaning up, I kissed his cheek, loving the way he leaned into my embrace, holding me close.

Yeah...

I could definitely spend the next day or so wrapped up in his arms while slept hours away.

"I'm not letting this go." he muttered making me laugh.

"I know. But by the time you find out, hopefully he'll be dead."

"Or I could just ask B since he knows who did it."

"I'm done arguing with you about this. I'm tired." I said, putting a stop to the argument and falling against his chest, wrapping my arms around his waist and savouring the easy rise and fall of his chest, his breath falling against my hair, and the soothing sound of his heartbeat steadily returning to normalcy. He said nothing, cradling me to him even if I smelled like toilet.

"Let's go home." Jaxon said into my hair, gently kissing it as he swept me up into his arms like I weighed nothing.

My head resting against his shoulder, a smile plastered on my face and arms wrapped around his neck, I stared at the boy who had made me fall for him against my will.

He was a pain in my ass.

A total jackass who once took pride in intentionally hurting me.

A complete jerk I wanted to bury alive.

A shell of a beautiful soul with a broken heart I had sewn back together with a mind of steel determination, gentle touches and kisses.

Jaxon West was a damn curse. And I couldn't ask for a greater one.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

SAVAGE By Jay.

Werewolf

374K 16.8K 30
BOOK 2. CRESCENT FALL PACK. He's arrogant. He's strong He's brutal He's a monster No one knows who Savage truly is, except his family, pack and clos...
930K 36.4K 45
Presley had it all, a loving family, great support, a great pack behind him. One thing he didn't have was his mate by his side. After seven years of...
21.6K 706 43
There are many types of mates in the werewolf world. Alpha x Alpha, Omega x Beta, Alpha x Beta, Beta x Beta, Omega x Alpha, But there has never been...
1.3M 51K 22
Jordan Patterson has to accept that his number one nemesis is the one he's destined to love for the rest of his immortal life. Ever since childhood...