War of Hearts

By Kopowerbomb88

Haytham kenway never thought that he had a son, but he never thought his son would become an assassin. Howeve... More

Chapter 1: My Son
Chapter 2: Searching for Church
Chapter 3: Working Together
Chapter 4: Sailing with Father
Chapter 5: How I Met your Mother
Chapter 6: Nightmare
Chapter 7: Trying to Make Things Right
Chapter 8: Am I A Monster
Chapter 9: Dealing with Templars
Chapter 10: It is Over
Chapter 11: Speaking to Achilles
Chapter 12: The Last Stand
Chapter 13: Doing it Right
Chapter 15: The Unxpected Attack
Chapter 16: dont leave me
Chapter 17: People of the Homestead
Chapter 18: Drunk Haytham
Chapter 19: Making Amends
Chapter 20: A New Life (The End)
what do u think

Chapter 14: Meeting an enemy from the past

183 6 7
By Kopowerbomb88

Connor Point of view
I make my way down the hill, pretending I have no destination in mind. It is clear where I want to go though, and when I reach Doctor White House. I have to quit pretending that I wasn't heading here the whole time. My father woke up nearly two weeks ago, and I haven't visited him here since. I want to check on him, but a part of me is worried he won't be glad to see me. He seemed quite bitter when I was here before, and while I can't completely blame him it still hurts I miss him.

I was about to knock on the door, then I pause. I don't want to see him I thought he'll just want to argue, or will in some way anger me. Besides he hasn't asked me so I would be unwelcome. I sigh then I turn to go, I hear the door open from behind me.
Doctor White: Connor wait!
He calls to me, as I stop and face him.
Connor: um yes?
I ask
Doctor White: why don't you come in? Your father is getting pretty lonely.
I shook my head
Connor: he does not wish to see me.
Doctor White: he's been asking for you.
I raise my eyebrow, that is quite a surprise.
Connor: wait... he has?
I asked
Doctor White: he has, he asked me to fetch you. But then he changes his mind, because he doesn't think you want to see him. He believes you hate him,or you'd have been back.
Connor: did he say that.
Doctor White: many times.
I sigh and I went inside.

Connor: hello father.
My fathers looks up from a book, surprise on his face.
Haytham: Connor? What brings you here?
I pull a chair by his bedside, and sit.
Connor: you.
My father sets his book aside, and sits up.
Haytham: what's on your mind son?
Connor: I just wanted to... see you.
Haytham: is there something wrong with me, that the doctor isn't telling me?
Connor: no why?
I asked
Haytham: well in case you hadn't noticed, it's been two weeks since I woke up. He said you were in here constantly waiting for me, so I figured the only reason you would be here was if you had cause to worry. Not that I understand why you would.

Connor: I was afraid.. to return.
I spoke honestly
Haytham: why? Am I gonna jump out of bed, and attack you in this condition?
Connor: no! Do you understand anything?
I scowled at him.
Haytham: what do you mean?
Connor:I was afraid of being right.
Haytham: will you make sense boy? Right about what?
He asked annoyed.
Connor: about you wanting me dead! About you using my stupidity... and softness and naïveté to just hurt me... and kill me. About you hating me as much... as I think you do.
Haytham: Connor the only reason, I fought you-
I soon cut him off.
Connor: was to protect Lee! Him and your stupid order! You souls have killed me, without a hint of hesitation. Yet here you are, alive only because I was scared of losing you. I should have left you to die, I should have known better than to think you'll ever be more... than my sworn enemy.
With that I leave, with tear coming from my eyes.

Haytham Point of view
I watch Connor go, as I felt miserable. I really have done wrong to him, and now he'll never forgive me I'm so confused and hurt. I sit up slowly holding my shoulder, I push myself to my feet. I know I can't be up for long, but I wish to talk to Achilles Davenport. Perhaps a fatal choice, but what does it matter if it is? It's not like I'm enjoying life much anyway I thought in my mind. I take a deep breath and head out the door, after a short walk I reach the mansion I hesitate momentarily before knocking the door.

I await an answer for a couple moments, before Achilles opens the door. Oddly enough I take great pity on the old man, he looks worse than Connor. It will quite frankly be a shock, if he lives much longer.
Achilles: Haytham.
He says bluntly.
Haytham: Achilles.
I reply hoping there's some warmth in my voice.
Achilles: Connor isn't here, at the moment.
As he was about to close the door.
Haytham: I'm not surprised, it's actually you I came to see.
As he freezes in place.
Achilles: well you wasted your time, I do not wish to speak to you. You're lucky I let you stay on my land at all.
I sighed I don't blame him for his ride attitude, I have caused him a lot of pain in the past.
Haytham: please I just want a word with you.
He sighs
Achilles: fine come in, I have no desire to argue.
Haytham: thank you.
I said softly.

I enter the house and close the door behind me, I follow the old man into the kitchen and he sits down.
Achilles: have a seat Kenway, so why is it you're here?
I comply relived for some rest, I won't pretend the trip here didn't tire me out.
Haytham: I wanted to...
I pinch the bridge of my nose, since I met Connor there was much I wanted to say to Achilles. How good job he did raising my boy, what a good fighter he is. Even questions about who Connor is, I've been dying to talk to him about these subjects but that's not why I came here today.
Achilles: spit it out, don't be shy all of a sudden.
Haytham: why am I here?
I asked
Achilles: I don't think I understand.
Haytham: I mean on the homestead, why am I here?
Achilles: Connor brought you here, the doctor here was served us well.
Haytham: I know that, but why? Why spare me?
I asked again

Achilles: because he is a fool, and the end of the day still has much growing up to do. He let his emotional attachment cloud, his judgment.
Haytham: except he hates me.
Achilles just laughed at this.
Haytham: I'm sorry I fail to see the humour.
Slightly annoyed at him.
Achilles: he doesn't hate you, you fool. You've hurt him numerous times and he is bitter there's no denying that. He wants to convince me, you himself and everyone else that he hates you. But if you honestly believe he does, you aren't as smart as I though you were Haytham.
I was baffled at this
Haytham: you really think he doesn't hate me?
Achilles: he should he has every right to, the way you treat him. But he cares so much about you, you didn't see him here when you two formally met. Or any time throughout the course of your truce, but he was so happy to even get the chance to know you. He struggled so much with the fear, of having to kill you.
Haytham: you're not serious, are you?
I asked still in shock
Achilles: I am the boy looks up to you, all I have to say is you'd better treat him right. He deserves to be loved Haytham, by his own father.
Haytham: you love him.
Achilles: yes, but in case you couldn't tell my days are numbered. When I die... I don't know if he has anyone else. I don't like you Haytham, I never have.. but I'm asking you to be good father to him... don't hurt him anymore.
These words, really did make me emotional.
Haytham: I don't want to hurt him Achilles, but how can I choose between him and the Templar order? I've been loyal to it my whole life, I can't abandon it because of him.
Achilles: that is not my place to tell you, how to live your life. But if you choose the Templar's over your son, then don't be surprised if he truly does come to hate you.
I sigh heavily
Haytham: I wish there was an easy choice.
Achilles: it seems there never is in life.

As he finishes that comment, the front of the door opens and closes. Achilles sighs and leans back in his chair, Connor enters the kitchen frowning. I try and ignore the fact he's wearing a scarf around his neck, and this is the only time that I ever have seen him wear one. He's covering the bruises though, surely by now they're nearly healed.
Connor: alright first of all you both should be in bed resting, secondly what is going on in here? You two hate each other.
Connor says as he walks to us.
Achilles: oh you worry too much.
He says
Connor: well I have a reason to worry.
Achilles: your father and I, were just having a friendly chat. Right Haytham?
He looked at me
Haytham: yes nothing of concern son.
I say

Connor: well that's just lovely, but perhaps you should both be a bit more focused on getting better before you have a friendly chat, hm?
Such sass from my own son
Achilles: fine I'm going to bed now.
He says as Connor helps him, as they both leave the kitchen and I hear them talk briefly before Connor returns.
Connor: come on father, let's get you back to Doctor White House.
Haytham: fine fine.
I say as I get up and walk to the front door. While Connor doesn't touch me, I feel him hovering right behind me in case I need help. Which turns out I do, the moment I step outside I got really dizzy. I stumble and nearly fall down the stairs, but Connor soon catches me in time.
Connor: easy father, take it easy. Are you well? Can you walk?
He says as I lean on him for just a moment, holding my head.
Haytham: I'm fine Connor.
I insist before continuing, but Connor keeps ahold of my arm the rest of the way.

Doctor White: Haytham there you are!
Doctor White says as Connor and I enter.
Haytham: I just wanted to stretch my legs for a bit.
I sit back down, as Connor hand lingers on my arm for a few moments before he moves it back to his side.
Doctor White: at least Connor was with you.
He said
Connor: only long enough to grab him back here.
Connor says with a smirk
Haytham: yes I made it back in one piece.
I spoke calmly
Doctor White: you aren't strong enough to walk around, especially not by yourself.
He says with frustration.
Haytham: I'm sick of laying here, my shoulder is the problem not my legs.
I explained to Doctor White.
Connor: but you are going to hurt yourself, if you keep walking around before you're well.
He spoke softly to me.
Haytham: why do you care? I thought you said you should have left me to die, remember?
I asked as I was getting annoyed, by Connor mood that keeps changing.
Connor: and why do you think I didn't hm? I care about you, you fool!
He shouted as he raised his arms in the air.
Doctor White: you know I have some things to take care of, when I return you better be here Haytham.
he says staring at me and Connor.
Haytham: I will.
I reply as Doctor White, leaves awkwardly as Connor sighs.

Connor: he's right.
He says as he looked off into the distance.
Haytham: what?
I asked confused, of what he'd just said.
Connor: Achilles wants us to talk, and clearly we need to.
Says Connor as he looks back to me.
Haytham: about what?
I asked curiously
Connor: father we cannot go on like this.
Haytham:I don't even know here to begin.
He sighs as Connor sits down next to me.
Connor: you know that I do not hate you, right?
He asked me,but I was still unsure.
Haytham: no I don't think, I do know that. Achilles is convinced you don't, but I can't help thinking you do.
Connor: why would I have gone, to the trouble of saving you if I hated you?
He asked as his jaw tightened.
Haytham: oh I don't know, probably your weird version of mercy.
I asked as I sat up from the bed.

Connor: honestly if I hated you, I would have gotten rid of you oh my ship and been done with it. Did you not think of that?
He says as Connor spoke again softly.
Haytham: I did, which is why I'm confused.
As Connor shook his head at me.
Connor: Father, I have no wish to see you dead. Even if you do not care about me at all, I could not bear losing you... my only parent.
As Connor looked away from me, as he whispered the last three words.
Haytham: son I do care about you, I know I'm not the best as showing my-
But I was soon cut off, by Connor sudden rage.

Connor: you've tired to kill me, countless times!
He shouted
Haytham: none of which without cause.
Connor: what if I hadn't stabbed you with my hidden blade, the other night? Would I be dead?
He asked me eagerly, I look at the scarf around his neck then down at my own hands.
Haytham: probably.
I lied, because I could have the heart to kill my own son.
Connor: you don't even have anything, to say for yourself?
Haytham: if I had killed you that night, it would have been your own fault. I tried Connor you pushed me away, on case you don't recall! I saw to it you were unharmed, the whole time we worked together. He'll we only worked together in the first place, because I wanted to give you a chance! In hopes you'd give me one as well, and you pushed me away.

Connor: only because you lied to me and kept secrets! I told you about my mother's death, and you had the guts to act surprised to hear about it! But you knew all this time, you knew it happened! Also you knew it was Washington! For all I know, you knew about his plan to attack my village.
He shouted at me, just like at valley forge.
Haytham: I absolutely did not! I would have told you right away, but you would have-
I was cut off again, by Connor.
Connor: so you say, yet you should have told me right away that Washington was responsible for my mother's death! Why should I believe the two cases, are different to you?
Haytham: because if I had known about Washington's plans prior, we could have put an end to it before it ever began. The fire was a done thing irrevocable, however I would like to mention that I did not originally know your mother was dead. I knew of the fire when I arrived back to America, and Charles told me the death of your mother and the fire that took place. I didn't believe him first, but upon your meeting when I asked you, you told me truth so the pieces were put together.
Connor: so you should have told me, what happened instead of insisting that Charles Lee was innocent without any explanation or proof. You should have told me what happened, because I had the right to know!

I signed as I knew that my son, did make a good point but he supported Washington.
Haytham: please you idolised Washington! You looked up to him and respected him, more than anyone I knew of and despised me. You would have just thought it was a lie, and would have suggested that I was poisoning you against Washington.
Connor: another lie you mean, and still you should have at least tired to tell me. Maybe I wouldn't have believed you, but it would have made me think. I would have questioned Washington about it, or researched it another way. Maybe the whole situation, could have been avoided in the first place and my friend would have been still alive. My people would still be here, safe and happy as they should be.

I looked out the window for a moment, knowing that Connor had made a good point.
Haytham: look I know I handled it wrong, but my actions were not without cause. Still after everything, all the time we spent together you'd just push me away? Why then should I have held back when we're fighting for what we believe?
I said as I  tired to reason with my son.
Connor: Charles Lee is a monster, and he deserves death for getting involved with my people.. which caused me and my friend friendship to break!
Haytham: oh and am I a monster as well? After all you said, that all he does by my command. So I'm just as guilty?
Connor: you know what? No we are not arguing about Charles Lee, he is not important to me.
He sighs as he raise his hand, to stop me.

Haytham: Connor listen, I am willing to put the past behind us. But you have to decide if that's what you want. You cannot be Pointing fingers at me, one minute and the next tell me that I hate you. I cannot be in your life, and stay away from you... make up your mind son.
We were both silent, for a couple of moments.
Connor: well maybe I did overreact-
This time I cut him off.
Haytham: and I truly am sorry about not telling you sooner.
I spoke truthfully to him.
Connor: I forgive you... father.
I looked up in astonishment, as I smiled at my son.

Haytham: and you know Connor, I do love you.
Connor closes his eyes tightly, I know he's been needing to hear those words from me. Maybe he's been dying to hear them, since he was a small child. Connor opens his eyes and looks at me, and a lone tear escapes. My poor son I've done wrong by him, not saying that sooner I thought.
Connor: I should... go check on Achilles.
Connor soon gets up and heads to the door, I know that he's worried about crying in front of me. But I'm not giving up on this moment, I get up and gently grab his right arm and he faces me. I wipe away the tear, that had trailed down his cheek.
Haytham: just once is it okay, if we both are vulnerable?
I asked him, I whispered to him.
Connor: well maybe... just this once.
As Connor outstretches his arms, and I soon accept the hug.
Haytham: I want to try harder son, saying those words shouldn't make you cry. They should be something you already, know for fact, and smoke as well.
Connor: I love you too father, thank you.
Connor whispers, I only hold him tighter.

There you go father and son finally made up, and told their true feelings to each other. The next chapter will have a lot of action, I promise.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.1K 473 25
Assassin's Creed 3 FanFiction. ***NOT A 'X READER'*** "Victoria, this is dangerous. Are you sure we can do this?" "Connor, just stay behind me. We'll...
162K 2.7K 34
[ COMPLETED ] STARTED: OCTOBER 2017 FINISHED: JUNE 2019 EDITED: AUGUST 2021 in which i write about everyone's favorite assassin's (and templars 😉) ...
42.3K 1.1K 30
What if Charles Lee had a daughter, a little girl who is going to become the Grand Master of the Templars one day but will that all change when the g...
149 12 10
"...He could only hope Jennifer wasn't too naive to understand this was all happening because of William. William made a bad mistake - one that even...