Chapter 19: Making Amends

Connor Point of view
I'm sitting in my room, reading a book. I feel so at peace for the first time in my life, things seem to be going right finally. It's been since yesterday since my father incident at the mine, right now I'm thinking to do a truce like I had planned before, father and I quit working together. I think after everything we've been through, he will agree. And it will give me insurance, that we won't have to fight again.

I hear a knock at the door, and grin. I was wondering when he would come, I get up and go about halfway down the stairs. Achilles was on his way to the front door, but then he stops when he sees me.
Connor: tell me I'm not here.
I say and he frowns at me.
Achilles: what do you have up your sleeve, Connor?
He replies
Connor: my arms.
Achilles: hilarious.
Connor: please?
I pouted.
Achilles: fine, Haytham what do you want now?
He goes and answers were the door, I could tell Achilles was still mad at my fathers drunk behaviour last night.
Haytham: where is my, bone headed child?
My father asks, nearly growling. I have to force myself not to laugh, he got more upset than I thought.

Achilles: that child, who by the way is a man is not here. What did he do to make you so angry?
Haytham: I tell you what!  He decided it would be funny, to steal my hat and gloves.
Achilles: is that all?
He huffed
Haytham: all? My hat is very important to me, I'll have you know. Its older than Connor is by at 19 years, he thinks he can take my belongings-
Achilles cut him off
Achilles: look on the bright side, he's joking with you. That's a good sign, you know.
Haytham: I'm not amused! If you see him, tell him he will rue the day he messed with me!
I heard Achilles laugh
Achilles: you are so dramatic, we both know you won't do anything.
Haytham: that depends on him, good day.
Achilles closes the door, and turns to look at me. I come down the rest of the way.

Achilles: that why you wanted, me to tell him you weren't here? You're such a child Connor.
Connor: maybe, but did you see how mad he was? That's hilarious.
I said my grin fades, when Achilles starts roughly coughing.
Connor: maybe you should lie down.
Achilles: perhaps you're right.
I helped Achilles to his bed, then I sat next to him.
Connor: are you feeling worse?
Achilles: I'm afraid so, I'm sorry Connor I don't think I'll get any better.
I sighed, and shook my head in disagreement.
Connor: you will, you have to.
Achilles sighs and pats my arm.
Achilles: go on child, go mess with your father.
I get up and walked outside. Right now I'm not having any fun, not with Achilles health.

Haytham: there you are, you little-
My father begins, but I soon shut him off.
Connor: take your stupid hat, and your gloves too, happy?
I say handing them to him, as he puts them back on.
Haytham: and what is the matter with you?
He asked curiously
Connor: father he's not getting any better.
His face softens, from anger to sympathy.
Haytham: son I-
Connor: it's not fair! Why should he have to die?
I held my head down, in sadness.
Haytham: that's life Connor... it happens I'm sorry.
Connor: but I can't... lose him... how are you feeling?
My father puts his hand on my shoulder, reassuringly I take a deep breath.
Haytham: so much better than I had, I think I'm ready to travel. If I can get Doctor White, to say I'm fine.
Connor: good to hear, we need to talk though.
Haytham: about?
He raised an eyebrow
Connor: business.
Haytham: fine, but can we go inside? It's getting rather chilly out here.
I nodded
Connor: your right, come on in.
We go inside and into the kitchen, once I make us both some tea. I sit at the table with, my father and handed his cup of tea.

Haytham: what's on your mind son?
He asked softly
Connor: I...
I look into my tea, I am worried about him thinking the idea is silly still.
Haytham: yes?
I look at him and think about how, the last time I didn't go through with this. I nearly lost him, and that gives me a new determination.
Connor: I want to start a truce, a more permanent one.
Haytham: you do?
He looked surprised, by my proposal.
Connor: yes maybe, order wide.
My father raises his eyebrows at me.
Haytham: and what do you think, this will accomplish?