A Silver Lining (Lord of the...

By arrow_to_the_heart

**Now featured on Wattpad's Official Lord of the Rings Fanfic Reading List!** The War of the Ring may be over... More

Quick Notes
I. Runaway
II. The White City
III. Many Meetings
IV. Departure
V. A Bump in the Road
VI. "Welcome Home."
VII. Settling In
VIII. Life in Lórien
X. What's Best
XI. Another Journey
XII. Rising Tensions
XIII. Sanctuary
XIV. Out in the Open
XV. One Obstacle after the Next
XVI. Let It Go
XVII. The Struggle
XVIII. An Interesting Turn of Events
XIX. Collateral Damage
XX. Fading Hope
XXI. Exile
XXII. The Race Against Time
XXIII. Wedding Crashers
XXIV. Out of the Shadows
Epilogue

IX. A History Repeated

7.6K 269 79
By arrow_to_the_heart

IX. A History Repeated

            Time works out differently when you are an Elf. Months may seem like ages to any other race, but to Elves it is a mere blink of an eye. The same can be said for years. This was the case for the Elves in Lórien, as Nikita’s wedding to Legolas was approaching rapidly.

            Nikita seemed to grow attached to me fairly quickly from the moment she had met me. She, with the help of a few other Elves, was figuring out the décor for the ceremony. We all helped her figure out her ideal dress as well. Some of the Elves here were very talented and very willing to make her wedding gown for her. The most I could help with was give my opinions to some things; I had no talent that could be used.

            When I was not needed, I seemed to find myself having run-ins with Legolas or the Lady Galadriel. I ran into Legolas more. We enjoyed each other’s company lots. Mostly we ended up taking our horses out for strolls. He was someone I trusted the most out of all the Elves here in Lórien.

            The day had arrived: Legolas and Nikita were to be wed. Since the start of the countdown, Nikita had been overly stressed about everything. Though she had a team of helpers, she felt like she was burdened to take care of everything. I wanted to keep away from the stressed bride-to-be, so I wandered on the ground floor, admiring my home’s beauty. I could picture her asking one of the other Elves to help her practice dancing one last time. I smiled to myself.

            Though Nikita could sometimes be a handful, she deserved this day and all the days to come with Legolas.

            “It is a beautiful day,” Lady Galadriel’s voice interjected. I stopped, startled, as she appeared from behind one of the many trees.

            “Do you do that often?” I joked. “Appear out of thin air?” I noticed something was off about the Lady this morning. “Is everything all right?”

            “No.” She looked down at the grass around her. “Something is off, and it is very troubling.”

            “L-like what?”

            “About two months ago, I had a vision, but it was very murky. I can sometimes get visions of what could come. I could barely make out anything definite. I have never had issues with my visions before, Nimalia.”

            “What did you see, or, what could you make out?”

            “All I could gather was that something was coming here. Who, I do not know. Why, I do not know. There was no clear picture, and that worries me.”

            “You are not feeling ill?” I asked.

            “No, I am fine.” I could see she was mildly startled. “I think something might come today, something with terrible purpose. Whatever it is may come and try to ruin the wedding.”

            “Surely whatever may be coming would not come here for that sole purpose?”

            “Everything is unclear.”

            I paled. “If you are right, are there any measures being taken?”

            “Yes. I have guards set up on the borders. If any intruders come, they will be dealt with. We have not had to deal with evil for some time, and I do not plan to deal with it today of all days.”

            “Why are you telling me this, my lady?”

            “From what I could see, only one face was clear. It was you.”

            “Me?”

            “Yes. Whatever came frightened you. That is all I can remember.”

            “Your visions are not set in stone, are they?”

            She chuckled. “No, dear child, they are not. Choices can dictate whether or not what I see comes to fruition. For all you and I know, it may not even happen. Maybe things have changed since then. I would not worry. If something does happen, we have security on the borders. Do not tell anyone that I told you about this.”

            “Y-you have my word.” I swallowed.

            “If you will excuse me, I must prepare for the ceremony.”

            I gave her a parting bow before she lithely disappeared to wherever she intended to go. My heart raced within my ribs. There is nothing to worry about, like she said. Things could have changed since then. What she saw might not even happen. Focus on the good things. The wedding is today. It is going to be a happy occasion, nothing will ruin it. Focus on that; do not let fear get in the way of the ceremony today.

            Even with the internal talk, I could still not rest easy. I knew there was only one Elf I could seek out who could instantly make me feel better. I wished I was a skilled tracker, that way I would not have to search the entirety of Lórien for him.

            I found my grey steed before I found the Elf. Luckily for me, I killed two birds with one stone and found them both. He was tending to his mare, crooning to her in Elvish. I could not help but grin at the sight. My grey noticed me, walking to me without me calling for him.

            “Good day to you too, boy,” I purred. “Ready for a stroll?”

            “Do you mind two more joining you?” Legolas called.

            “Not at all. Are you going to try bareback today?” Legolas looked a bit startled by my question. “Do not tell me you are afraid of riding bareback.”

            “I am not,” he said proudly. To emphasize his point, he swung onto his mare’s back. His mare never flinched. “Mount, and let’s go.”

            I did not jump onto my grey as gracefully as Legolas had with his mare, but I still managed to get on him. I grabbed fistfuls of mane in my hands. We matched our horse’s gaits together, going at a leisurely walk. I was sure neither of us wanted to go any faster; we both probably had a fear of falling off.

            “Today is the day, is it not?” I asked Legolas teasingly. He looked at me oddly. “Your wedding?”

            “That is today?”

            “The groom must not stress over the wedding like the bride does,” I noted. “You better hope you do not forget your anniversary date, I doubt Nikita will forgive you if you do.”

            “Sorry, I have had my mind on other things.”

            “Like what?”

            “Your captors.”

            I focused on my grey’s mane as though it was the most fascinating thing right now. “What about them?”

            “Surely whoever is still after you have probably found the dead scout by now, or what is left of him.”

            “Legolas, it has been months since we encountered the scout. Why are you still lingering on him and the Wild Men in general? You should not focus on me; you should be focusing on your future with Nikita.”

“I cannot help but think they will not give up hunting you so easily.” It was like he had never heard me. “If you have been under their control for as long as you claim and escaped them, I am sure they will fight to the death to capture you again.”

“They will not track us here; there are not many skilled in that in that group. They are all vicious, heartless Men who feel it is their duty to continue creating terror like Sauron once did a long time ago. I do not consider any of them very intelligent.” I shook my head. “It makes me wonder how they can sleep at night being who they are. I should not be thinking such grim thoughts on your special day. I apologize.”

            “No, I brought it up first, so it is my fault.”

            I pulled the grey into a halt. “You should head back to prepare. You cannot leave your bride-to-be waiting at the ceremony.”

            “Are you not attending?”

            “I will, but I am not the one getting married.” I threw him a weak smile. “Go. I will be there in time to see it.” I waved him off.

            Legolas’ eyebrows furrowed. “Stay away from the border, just in case.”

            “I am not worried, I am home. Home is safe.”

            “Is that what you thought when you were little, just shortly before you were taken?” He said this rather darkly.

            I could not deny that I was a little afraid after Legolas spun his mare around and trotted deeper into Lórien. His words stung me a little bit. Was he trying to make me feel paranoid? He is not wrong, though. But I was a child then, so of course I would assume home was a safe place.

            Truthfully, I was a little miffed with Legolas after he said that to me. I bit my lower lip, feeling a bit angry. It was a feeling I had known for a while when being in the Wild Men’s capture. But it was strange to have it greet me again as though I had not seen it for ages. It had to be because I was happy recently, with no troubles.

            I urged my steed on towards the borders. Galadriel told me there was security around here, so what did I have to fear? I ventured close, peeking out past the Lórien brush, gazing at the open lands before me. I remembered venturing across them alone, practically on my deathbed. That young Man had saved me. If it had not been for that stroke of luck, I would not be here. I would not have been to Minas Tirith or met Legolas. I would probably be in the Wild Men’s grasp again, or possibly even dead. The Men did not take well to those who fought against them.

            Suddenly, my grey started prancing nervously underneath me. I whispered to him, stroking his neck. Neither calmed him down. Something is wrong. Trusting his judgment, I spun us around only to hear wild shouts and whizzing of arrows. Galadriel was right, someone is here. I might see them. But I am not planning to stick around.

            With a fierce kick, my steed and I lurched forward, heading deeper into Lórien. Horns sounded, alerting to everyone that intruders were invading. My heart raced in tune with my steed’s hoof beats.

            One second I was on my steed, and the next, a brute force hit me, tossing me from the stallion. I screamed, being ripped up off the ground. I clawed my abductor, smelling his putrid odor. It could only lead to one conclusion: they had found me. They had tracked me here.

            My home was not safe after all.

            My stallion neighed shrilly as two other Wild Men came to overpower me. I kicked at the two who tried to grab a leg of me and carry me off. My steed barreled to them, bowling them both over. Both Men flew in opposite directions, only one got hit by my friend.

            I threw a punch behind me, hitting flesh. With the stun, I wrenched myself free. I turned around only to have a pratfall. My grey turned himself around, charging for my first captor. He reared, slamming his hooves down on the Man’s chest. I cowered on the ground as my steed lunged over me to fend off my other two kidnappers, who had just recovered from the previous attack.

            I heard fleeing feet as I heard rustling leaves above. A nudge on my shoulder made me peek my head up. The stallion breathed on me. Tears gathered in my eyes. I owed this stallion everything.

            One of the Elves hopped down from the trees, coming to assist me. I trembled like the leaves above.

            “Are you all right?” he asked. Like many of the Elves here, he was tall, lean, and possessed blond hair and blue eyes. He was dressed for battle in light armor, a blade in one hand, and a bow and sack of arrows over his shoulder.

            “Y-yes,” I got out. “What is going on?”

            “We are under attack.”

            Panicked cries in the distance turned us deeper into Lórien. The wedding, I thought in horror.

            “You should go help them,” I declared.

            “And leave you unprotected?”

            “They may need you.”

            “I am sorry to disagree, but I am staying with you until things settle down.”

            “But—” I was silenced with a stern look from the guard. “Can we at least go back?”

            “Once things have quieted down,” he assured me. He looked to my grey. “Your steed is very valiant. I saw him defend you.”

            “He is,” I agreed. “He is the bravest animal I have ever met. I should name him something like that. What’s ‘valiant’ or ‘brave’ in Elvish?”

            “You cannot figure that out on your own?”

            “You must not know of me. I am the Elf who was kidnapped ages ago by Wild Men. I have been in their capture, so most of my native language is forgotten.”

            “Oh, my apologies. I did not mean to come off as harsh.”

            “You were not,” I assured him. “So, what are they in Elvish?”

            “Thalias is bravery,” the guard told me. “A just name for him.”

            “Thalias,” I murmured under my breath. “A just name indeed.” I barely cracked a smile. I shook my head, refocusing on the current situation. “We should go and help the others.”

            “But—”

            “Hand me your sword and ride with me,” I suggested. “You have your bow and arrows, and I will be protected by your sword.”

            “Which you do not know how to use.”

            “With all due respect, if I have to fight, I will learn how to use it. Now, come.” I swung onto Thalias, gesturing for the guard to follow me. He looked reluctant but did comply with me. He handed over his weapon first before climbing on behind me. Being respectful, he put his hands firmly on my waist.

With a cluck or two and good steering, I wheeled Thalias around and we headed for the dying commotion deep within Lórien.

**Just when you think things are going to go nicely...am I right? This is just the beginning of what I have in store for you, my lovely readers :) I hope you're prepared. Those who have read previous works of mine know what I put them through ;)

So, where are we at ships, you guys? Are we with the beloveds, or Nimolas, or both?**

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

215K 6.2K 45
Sapphire is an orphan elleth whom was brought up by dwarves in the Mines of Moria. Now she wanders the wilderness of Middle-Earth as one of the most...
12.4K 523 33
Completed! "A tale as old as time, Beauty and the Beast~" Rain's family have been taken from her. She snuck into Mordor to find them but in a...
402K 10.4K 32
War is brewing, and the people of Middle Earth are preparing for it. Among them is Averael: a Ranger from the North, and one of the last of the Duned...
712 42 10
Once the darkness rises once more, a girl from the stars is bound to fall. Upon her arrival the One will be revealed and the light will slowly start...