Elgin's Enigma ✔

By JJJ000YYY

Elgin is your average city filled with people, trains, fog, victorian era fashion, goat people, and the best... More

Dedication
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 19
Part 20
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 25
Part 26
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29
Part 30
Part 31
Part 32
Part 33
Part 34
Part 35
Part 36
Part 37
Part 38
Part 39
Part 40
Part 41
Part 42
Part 43
Part 44
Part 45
Part 46
Part 47
Part 48
Part 49
Part 50
Part 51
Part 52
Part 53
Part 54
Part 55
Part 56
Part 57
Part 58
Part 59
Part 60
Part 61
Part 62
Mark Information
Bonus 1
Trailer

Part 18

28 8 2
By JJJ000YYY

EXT. GRASSY FIELD–SUNSET

JORDANIA angrily sits on the stump and MIN has a paintbrush soaked in ink. Jordania glares at Min and they have a mischievous grin. Min proceeds to paint a black ring around one of her eyes.

JORDANIA: I swear, Min, if you poke out one of my eyes—

MIN: A bet is a bet.

JORDANIA: You cheated.

MIN: I still won.

JORDANIA: This is unfair.

CONNER and LUCY are laughing loudly while DARCY and ERLE are chatting. NANCY is napping nearby, unbothered by the noise around her.

BELINDA: Guys! Look what I found!

BELINDA is running towards the group and she has a piece of paper in her grip. Nancy wakes up from the noise and Erle stands up and squints at Belinda.

BELINDA: I already sent a message crow and everything! Everyone is going to be so excited! I want to be the one that shows everyone this paper!

Belinda gets to the group and is waving her arms frantically while everyone is staring at her in confusion. Min is distracted by the girl and mindlessly swipes the brush across Jordania's face.

ERLE: Whoa, whoa, whoa. What's the commotion?

BELINDA: I found another page of the journal of doubt!

LUCY: What?

CONNER: Hell yeah, that's awesome!

DARCY: Dude, is it real?

BELINDA: Of course it's real!

NANCY: What does it say?

BELINDA: It said "beware of the one who walked the path of the machine." Super cryptic right?

Nancy glances at Erle and his face is unreadable.

ERLE: Walked? That's past tense. What does that mean now?

LUCY: I don't like this. I just wanted a day off.

CONNER: It's nothing too big though...

BELINDA: It's totally a big thing! I found a clue! I can't wait for the next clue to happen!

Lucy shifts on her feet uncomfortably and Conner fans himself with his map.

CONNER: Oh, wow! It's sunset already. We should really save the details for tomorrow.

BELINDA: No! The paper might burn up!

MIN (puts brush in back pocket): Let me see it. I want to see it.

Belinda hands Min the paper but it bursts into flames suddenly. Lucy gives a shriek of surprise and Jordania's eyes are wide.

MIN CONT'D: That was close.

JORDANIA: Well, this is the same at last time. No doubt that it's the same book at least.

DARCY: Where did you find it?

BELINDA: The robot statue of course!

LUCY: Belinda, what were you doing anyways? Weren't you supposed to finish up the chores today?

BELINDA: I washed the clothes! I was able to do it really fast! The river's currents helped a lot.

CONNER: And where's the clothes?

Belinda smiles confidently for a second before her eyes go wide and the smile suddenly drops.

BELINDA CONT'D: Oops.

LUCY: Are you kidding me?!

BELINDA: I know where they are at least! By the river!

CONNER: It's okay, I made a map. We shouldn't get lost getting there.

BELINDA: We don't need a map to get there.

LUCY: Guys, stop! We need to go get the clothes. Now.

Belinda and Conner look at each other before bolting away. Lucy looks towards the rest and gives an apologetic smile.

LUCY: Sorry, we have to go.

DARCY: Yeah, no worries. Go do your thing!

Lucy runs to catch up with Belinda and Conner. Erle faces the remainder of the group which consists of Jordania, Min, Darcy, and Nancy.

ERLE CONT'D: We should list out everyone that has the path of the machine mark. It's definitely saying that we can't trust them at all.

NANCY: I've only got the machine mark...

DARCY: Are you saying we shouldn't trust Belinda? She has the path of the machine mark.

JORDANIA: Do you think the machine mark people are like in a group together and maniacally planning something? Like a secret society?

MIN: As if a group of children can actually do anything.

ERLE: If one of the children can perform powerful alchemy then I wouldn't ignore it at all.

MIN: What? Are you accusing me of being a... what the hell are the notes telling us? A traitor? What is this?

ERLE: A danger. I think you're a danger.

NANCY: How do you know it's just Min? I mean it could be me or Belinda or anyone else with a machine mark.

ERLE: It was written in past tense. That means they aren't part of the machine path anymore. They're part of the path of void now so it adds up.

JORDANIA: Min never had the path of the machine mark though. They had the machine mark.

ERLE: It's the same thing. The shop keep has told people that wanted a box and were part of the machine mark say that they were already set on that path. Said it was meaningless to get a damn box too.

DARCY: Belinda found the paper though. She's probably more likely to be doing it.

ERLE: Why would she do that? There isn't a reason to do that. I don't think she wants to get mobbed so she wouldn't be the traitor.

NANCY: How do you know if the notes are real? What if it's an elaborate prank?

JORDANIA: Spontaneous combustion is pretty serious stuff.

DARCY: What makes you think Min is the one to be doing it too?

ERLE: No memories of our real home? Of earth? The floating sphere? Does that not seem suspicious to you guys at all?

MIN: Floating sphere? That sounds ridiculous.

JORDANIA: Erle, I knew Min for a long ass time. Sure they have no memories of this place but they definitely aren't a bad person.

ERLE: Why help with the mystery then?

MIN: Can't I be curious? Am I not allowed to join you guys?

DARCY: What do we get by participating again?

NANCY: We're hoping that we get to go home.

JORDANIA: I have my doubts on the getting home thing.

ERLE: It's the best thing we have and I don't want anyone to ruin this. If someone is going to threaten this chance then I don't want to risk it!

MIN: I have no interest of getting in the way of you going back to whatever fantasy world you belong to.

ERLE: How do we know to trust you? Huh? What if this is all part of the disguise?

JORDANIA: Erle, I've known Min for years now. The only thing they're up to is messing around with alchemy.

ERLE: How do we know you're not part of this also?

JORDANIA (irritated): Really Erle? Are you going to be pointing your finger at anyone that goddamn breathes on this floating rock?

DARCY: Guys, can we calm down for a second?

ERLE: I'm being careful like any person with a brain would do.

JORDANIA: Turning on each other won't help us finding any more clues either!

DARCY: I'm sorry Jordania but I can't take you seriously with the paint on your face.

NANCY: I don't... think we can trust them either.

There is a pause. Tension is high within the group and Min lets out a sigh of frustration.

MIN CONT'D: I'm done with this conversation. Believe whatever you want, I don't care.

Min walks away briskly and Jordania follows them after giving a disappointed look to the rest.

DARCY CONT'D: Dudes...

ERLE: It's fine. We'll be fine. Everything is fine.

DARCY: Are you sure?

Nancy places a hand on his shoulder and he glances back at her.

NANCY CONT'D: It's better to be cautious...

DARCY: I guess...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

123 8 20
What happens when a girl meets a demon in the woods around her city. Read and find out.
410 16 10
On the continent of Keltic in the land of Ielos, a young man, born in the burning madness of the world, will wake up each morning to face a new chall...
273 28 11
Ally has lived a normal life. Other then her headaches, will to stay away from other people, and the weird way light acts around her, she's completel...
314 55 25
Ikeda Shin, a doctor who lives with his grandmother, Hana. However, she's suffering a sickness that isn't common to folks. He sent by her to meet up...